Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What I've been doing in Archeage.

2»

Comments

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    I still like it, but I don't play as much or have game sessions that last as long as many people here seem to. My time in generally split between AAU, PoE and whatever VR title I'm playing (currently Stormland).

There are worse things in the world than having too many games that I enjoy playing.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    cheyane said:
    Sad to say the labour system finally extinguished my interest. I am not enjoying the game even though I liked many things about it.  I have decided to demolish my structures and quit.
    Thanks for the update, unfortunate when a design decision such as this drives off a customer.

One thing I noted, you appeared to play solo which isn't really how AA was originally designed.

I recall when I played in the Alpha I was a member of a large guild.   As a person who rarely used many of my labor points on personal crafting or building, I donated mine by helping work on guild farms or building projects, assisting other members who had run out of labor points of their own.

Silly Devs, thinking players would want to band together to help each other....

;)
    ultimateduckPutrefee

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    cheyane said:
    Sad to say the labour system finally extinguished my interest. I am not enjoying the game even though I liked many things about it.  I have decided to demolish my structures and quit.
    Thanks for the update, unfortunate when a design decision such as this drives off a customer.

One thing I noted, you appeared to play solo which isn't really how AA was originally designed.

I recall when I played in the Alpha I was a member of a large guild.   As a person who rarely used many of my labor points on personal crafting or building, I donated mine by helping work on guild farms or building projects, assisting other members who had run out of labor points of their own.

;)

That's a good point. When I did play more regularly in the original AA, I was in a guild. My goal wasn't to do as much as I could before running out of labor. I barely looked at my labor unless it was one of those days where I just happen to use up a lot running cheese packs, which was every three days, and had a lot of bags to open or wanted to craft something. I think AA has a fairly satisfying PvE/merchant game so people like to focus on that and inevitably end up playing the labor pool game.
    Kyleran
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited January 2020
    Kyleran said:
    cheyane said:

;)
    I belong to a family for the daily family quests but yeah since I am mostly simply making trade goods and trying to play farmville it is mostly solo. I do not belong to a guild because other guilds can declare dominion over your guild and kill you and take your trade packs. To avoid that I never joined a guild.

What I am doing is merely trying to expand my land ownership, properties and making  money. However the 5000 max labour means there is a limit to what you can grow and process. In Black Desert Online (I hate to draw this comparison) each alt had a separate labour pool (or whatever their resource pool was called). I could log an alt and make beer for my workers when my main ran out and still open more and more places to trade. I cannot do this in Archeage without a separate account. This is what drove me away. What is the point if I cannot expand my empire of properties and trade. I realised that you need to PvP for an activity without use of labour which I have absolutely no wish to do since everyone would wipe the floor with me. I have such terrible gear and even in that you need labour to upgrade your gear to open loot drops.

There is also one other thing that BDO did better. Your plants stopped growing, your workers stopped working when you weren't online. In Archeage things have to tended and harvested or they died or withered away making the whole thing a chore. If I want to stop playing for a week everything will probably be dead when I get back.

It became an exercise in waiting for the labour to regenerate and using the potions with diminishing returns until my husband asked me what the hell I was doing playing this game when I was this unhappy and simply alt tabbing while waiting for the labour to regenerate. It dawned on me that I can never really go beyond the 8+1  slots on my freighter and even in that I am only able to do that once every two days. I am not going to use the sea because I have no wish to be killed by other players. I will avoid that at all costs. So my options became clear to me and I decided to cut my losses and leave before I sink even more time into this.

Still I enjoyed learning the game and the hours I put in getting up to where I was. It was fun until I reached this impasse. Perhaps I was foolish for buying and trying the game but I had fun for the three weeks or so. At the end of the day all of us look for fun and when it is no longer able to provide that it is best to leave.
    Kyleran
    Chamber of Chains
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    cheyane said:
    Kyleran said:
    cheyane said:

;)
    I belong to a family for the daily family quests but yeah since I am mostly simply making trade goods and trying to play farmville it is mostly solo. I do not belong to a guild because other guilds can declare dominion over your guild and kill you and take your trade packs. To avoid that I never joined a guild.

What I am doing is merely trying to expand my land ownership, properties and making  money. However the 5000 max labour means there is a limit to what you can grow and process. In Black Desert Online (I hate to draw this comparison) each alt had a separate labour pool (or whatever their resource pool was called). I could log an alt and make beer for my workers when my main ran out and still open more and more places to trade. I cannot do this in Archeage without a separate account. This is what drove me away. What is the point if I cannot expand my empire of properties and trade. I realised that you need to PvP for an activity without use of labour which I have absolutely no wish to do since everyone would wipe the floor with me. I have such terrible gear and even in that you need labour to upgrade your gear to open loot drops.

There is also one other thing that BDO did better. Your plants stopped growing, your workers stopped working when you weren't online. In Archeage things have to tended and harvested or they died or withered away making the whole thing a chore. If I want to stop playing for a week everything will probably be dead when I get back.

It became an exercise in waiting for the labour to regenerate and using the potions with diminishing returns until my husband asked me what the hell I was doing playing this game when I was this unhappy and simply alt tabbing while waiting for the labour to regenerate. It dawned on me that I can never really go beyond the 8+1  slots on my freighter and even in that I am only able to do that once every two days. I am not going to use the sea because I have no wish to be killed by other players. I will avoid that at all costs. So my options became clear to me and I decided to cut my losses and leave before I sink even more time into this.

Still I enjoyed learning the game and the hours I put in getting up to where I was. It was fun until I reached this impasse. Perhaps I was foolish for buying and trying the game but I had fun for the three weeks or so. At the end of the day all of us look for fun and when it is no longer able to provide that it is best to leave.

that was the thing originate labor was something to be sold and used, aka you mined like hell till you was empty so you sold you ores to crafters, or did like me mined till I was empty then crafted other day, but here was the thing I never did dungeons on alpha didn't need to, I could farm killing mobs or looking for nuia coins(aka exploring the game) so I could get my hands on my ship, and even so I could farm mobs for money and others items, then they removed this and put coinpurses as a only way to get money and mats, plus nerfed the archeum drops so NO ONE could craft, then they "fixed" it by selling archeum on cash shop, after (when it was too late btw) they removed the coinpurse annoyance, the cashop was full of labor pots crafting mats and gear upgrades, also with normalizing clothes and horse there was no reason to get clothes and horses

so yes trion and LXgames killed they games, like RFonline devs killed they game
    KyleranMardukkcheyane
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    BUT GAMIGO???
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2020
    Utinni said:
    BUT GAMIGO???
    "Rescued" AA.

There were no reports of any other company interested in Trion's assets.

Without  Gamigo it was so long and thanks for the pots you bought. 

What future? Based on the other games they run a "hand's off" minimum involvement one. 

Their major costs will be around launch / take over / re-organisation etc. Post launch the aim - clearly - is to push costs as low as possible, collect whatever revenue comes in and hope it covers their costs. With staff involved in the launch etc. being moved onto their next "new" game / takeover. 

And unless the license is pulled one they will operate until the cows come home and beyond - there are reports of some of their other games having few players but they carry on.

It may not be "pretty" but AA - in western markets - was essentially gone.

Edit: Great posts OP about your experience.
  • KraxxinKraxxin Member UncommonPosts: 38
    I enjoyed reading about your experiences in the world of AAU. To see the game again thru the eyes of a newer person was entertaining and brought back a few memories of days past.
     I'm one of a few who still plays despite all the flaws. By play, I mean I log in, chop some trees, feed the animals, tend to my properties, then I log back out. Rinse and repeat over the course of the day. 
     Based on your stories thus far, I can say we pretty much have the same play style in AA. We just do our own thing,and don't care about the rest.  Maybe it's self sabotage by wanting to do too much, too soon? As the old saying goes "Rome wasn't built in a day." 
    Big tip: It also helps to have other games to play. I know, it sounds counter productive to be playing something other than the game you want/wish. But due to our play styles, it's about the only way to keep your sanity and frustration levels down. 
     Oh ,and consuming copious amounts of herbal medicine greatly makes the game more enjoyable and you'll start to care less about the labor thing. But to each their own.
    Kyleranultimateduckcheyane
    Kraxxin said:
    I enjoyed reading about your experiences in the world of AAU. To see the game again thru the eyes of a newer person was entertaining and brought back a few memories of days past.
     I'm one of a few who still plays despite all the flaws. By play, I mean I log in, chop some trees, feed the animals, tend to my properties, then I log back out. Rinse and repeat over the course of the day. 
     Based on your stories thus far, I can say we pretty much have the same play style in AA. We just do our own thing,and don't care about the rest.  Maybe it's self sabotage by wanting to do too much, too soon? As the old saying goes "Rome wasn't built in a day." 
    Big tip: It also helps to have other games to play. I know, it sounds counter productive to be playing something other than the game you want/wish. But due to our play styles, it's about the only way to keep your sanity and frustration levels down. 
     Oh ,and consuming copious amounts of herbal medicine greatly makes the game more enjoyable and you'll start to care less about the labor thing. But to each their own.
    Hmm, your perspective believe it or not made me rethink. I've not yet destroyed anything. I'll try what you suggest. I'll pick another game may be pathfinder Kingmaker, was thinking about that game before Archeage so play both. Could work. Thanks for the advice.

ultimateduckKyleran
    Chamber of Chains
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    cheyane said:
    Kraxxin said:
    Hmm, your perspective believe it or not made me rethink. I've not yet destroyed anything. I'll try what you suggest. I'll pick another game may be pathfinder Kingmaker, was thinking about that game before Archeage so play both. Could work. Thanks for the advice.

I recently bought Pathfinder Kingmaker and its pretty good. Its not as good as Monster Hunter World though, wink wink nodge nodge.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Kylerancheyane
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• KraxxinKraxxin Member UncommonPosts: 38
    I hope it works out for you.  I'm actually considering the option of looking for a like minded guild (farmville/traderuns/pve.) The only time I've talked with anyone was during a trade on Mirage Isle or buying a farm, so I'm thinking I'd enjoy AA more in a group. Even if it seems like background noise and or text clutter, it might add to the enjoyment. So who knows, you may want to give that a try as well? I know I've seen those types of guilds advertised in the guild recruiting list. Just food for thought. 
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    gervaise1 said:
    Utinni said:
    BUT GAMIGO???
    "Rescued" AA.

What future? Based on the other games they run a "hand's off" minimum involvement one. 

Their major costs will be around launch / take over / re-organisation etc. Post launch the aim - clearly - is to push costs as low as possible, collect whatever revenue comes in and hope it covers their costs. With staff involved in the launch etc. being moved onto their next "new" game / takeover. 

And unless the license is pulled one they will operate until the cows come home and beyond - there are reports of some of their other games having few players but they carry on.

kano is gonna come in and forum-fight you for praising his nemesis gamigo.
    KraxxinultimateduckKyleran
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited January 2020
    One of the first videos I ever saw of this game back in the day was this.

The moment I saw that I knew this game was doomed.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

gervaise1 said:
    Utinni said:
    BUT GAMIGO???
    "Rescued" AA.

you know when sometimes is better to put a dog or cat out of his misery by killing then?

that was the moment gamigo should had let AA go, anything after that is just sufering, and vanity of the owner not willing to let it go
    gervaise1 said:
    Utinni said:
    BUT GAMIGO???
    "Rescued" AA.

you know when sometimes is better to put a dog or cat out of his misery by killing then?

that was the moment gamigo should had let AA go, anything after that is just sufering, and vanity of the owner not willing to let it go

There are people who actually enjoy playing the game.
    SovrathKyleran
    gervaise1 said:
    Utinni said:
    BUT GAMIGO???
    "Rescued" AA.

There are people who actually enjoy playing the game.

I know, some people are really into BDSM, each to his own, it don't make my statement any less on point

also like kano said, though defiance and trove I could see letting go, stoping rift also since it was supose to be the main bread from trion makes you see how thing are going

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    lahnmir said:
    cheyane said:
    Kraxxin said:

I recently bought Pathfinder Kingmaker and its pretty good. Its not as good as Monster Hunter World though, wink wink nodge nodge.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    You know, if you find it too challenging to actually play two games at the same time (I can't do it) you could consider following or even buying a low level package to COE and then pretend to be meta gaming like hundreds do on a daily basis.   :D

Now, on a more serious note if you don't mind a post apocalyptic setting FO76 might be a good option. 

[Waits for audience laughter and catcalls to subside]

Yeah, has had some issues, but it really has some good gameplay such as Camp (housing) building, quite a few good tools to make your house functional and good looking too.

You can grow and harvest crops, gather/ scavenge for materials and the core game is B2P.  If you get lucky like I did you might find a bargin copy at $15.00.

While not cross platform its available on PC, 360 or PS4, truth is more players are on the console versions.

There's also an optional sub, FO 1st, again heavily slagged on but I find the unlimited crafting materials box, access to my personal world and the monthly Atoms allotment well worth the price.

There will be a new expansion soon, (B2P I'm sure) Wastelanders which will be chock full of new bugs and issues, but we who enjoy the setting have learned to just laugh and play on.

Let me know if you decide to play the PC version as I can share advice and help you get started.  (As another senior player did for my friend and I when we started.)

cheyane

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

I decided to demolish everything in the end and make a clean break.

I made the dreadful mistake of turning around as I rode off to look at my cottage. It was burning! It broke my heart to see it burning. I may have only played a few weeks but I really did love that cottage. Honestly watching it go up in flames was truly heartbreaking.

I am not going to say I regret the time I put into this game because for the time I played it I enjoyed it a lot. I did love it and was very enthusiastic about my progress. I am sorry that in spite of my investment in it I was unable to find a comfortable compromise and continue playing at a reduced rate. I found that I could not play the game in half measures as I tend to always throw myself heedlessly into a game and play it with abandon.

Tiller
    Chamber of Chains
  • Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    edited January 2020
    I was playing it before release and quit a few months after release. (was a student with much time but no money)

I am playing AAU now since christmas vacation.
    And playing it casually is much fun for me.

As I am splitting activities (questing, grinding, farming, doing the best dailies, a trade run now and then) I have to take 2 maybe 3-4 labor pots per day, so with ~100 in stock it will be enough for months.

As for PvP I stick to the arena with equalized gear as this is always better in games with power creep.
    Of course I dont say NO to raid pvp if it happens during the dailies or to Halcy. 

I do play AA because there is nothing out there like it. A sandbox game with at least some pve content (quest chains are even better than in many newer themeparks I have played).
    Open world housing, tab targeting, open equip system (can change from healer to tank with one character), open class system (which is imho the best I have ever seen in any mmo) and most important for me, an open world where you are also travelling a lot which leads to interesting encounters.

The only other game like this are BDO which for me lacks dungeons, a crafting system which is less strategy and mor RPG (same with housing) and the holy trinity (I dont like games where everyone is a DD). And ESO which lacks the open world, none instanced housing and allows quick travel a bit too much. (I am only teleporting from place to place)
    kitaradultimateduckalkarionlog

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon