Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yet another mmorpg. Reign of Darkness on Steam.

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited January 2020 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Been in development for 6 years, its PvE old school tab targeting with a trinity system for dungeons.  I believe it's build your class and everyone can tank, dps or heal if taken the abilities and be powerful enough to do two.  It's a game where it's best to group, because the content could be hard, and best of all it already has dungeons. 

Again I don't know much but it's getting positive reviews on Steam. 

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Arterius said:
    Yeah, people have brought it up a few times on this site in the past. At this point I may just give it a shot in a few months. As for the game I don't have high hopes only because its being made by 1 man. Which I know the fans of the game are excited about. The problem is that a MMO a huge and with only 1 guy I don't see content coming out super fast
    Apparently in six years he created a lot of content.  Kind of have to wonder about other developers. 
    nycplayboy78
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    looks fun, I'm not squeamish about early access and I'm sure they can use the funds. I'll bit.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Arterius said:
    Yeah, people have brought it up a few times on this site in the past. At this point I may just give it a shot in a few months. As for the game I don't have high hopes only because its being made by 1 man. Which I know the fans of the game are excited about. The problem is that a MMO a huge and with only 1 guy I don't see content coming out super fast
    Apparently in six years he created a lot of content.  Kind of have to wonder about other developers. 

And do "we" have a direct comparison as to what "a lot of content is?" I don't think so.

As far as what he's done, which seems great, it's one town and one dungeon. So let's not go inflating something to larger than it is.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited January 2020
    Looks interesting.

Graphics needs work which is in the works according to the video.
    I like the ability to multiclass.
    Dislike the fact that dungeon scale to character level.
    One man team so don't expect new stuff quickly.
    Equipment has durability, bleh
    Very little content right now
    Online PVP..bleh

Reign of Darkness still very much being developed but currently is a "Tab Target", "Theory-Crafting", "Dungeon Runner", and Online Role Playing Game. Being based on classic D&D principles & concepts, where every attack is a virtual roll of the dice, players can "Build" or...

Pass for now, I have far too many great single player games to play along with the few mmo I play with the family.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Albatroes said:
    You clearly have no clue what cash grab means if you call a game like this a cash grab. 
    Sovrath said:
    Arterius said:

And do "we" have a direct comparison as to what "a lot of content is?" I don't think so.

As far as what he's done, which seems great, it's one town and one dungeon. So let's not go inflating something to larger than it is.
    Do we have direct comparison ?

This is the scary part of others.... After six years we don't know what THEY have !!

Here's a list of the few I have respect for, they "actively show" what they have:

-Saga of Lucimia, This one is doing GREAT, very great, that's all I can say.
    -Project Gorgon, apparently this game is slowly turning out to be great, however I think they made a few bad design decisions like turning into a cow (that's only my opinion). 
    -Legends of Aria, hate ALL their design choices, but turning out to be a full game none the less.
    -Reign of Darkness, Know nothing but apparently it's doing ok.

I can't say much, I know very little.... BUT they allow people to see where their money is going. In Reign of Darkness according to one video, they have a large world but not filled with activities yet. Another one they have several dungeons and surprisingly good.

I'll let this bake in the oven a bit longer, but I'll keep an eye on it.  Impressive what one man can do in 6 years. Good ratio of time vs. content.

I getting this later on today. Read and watched more stuff.

It's $20 on Steam, and some day it will likely go F2P in the long future.  Their are several dungeons to solo or group play and they scale, lots of quest and a cash shop of things you can "easly" get during play, such as a mount if you run the first dungeon in hard mode.  They stress the cash shop is only to help them in development.

Watch this.... It's a level 97 fighting 85's so it looks easy, but it's not !
    Check out the abilities !

• boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    I am digging the atmosphere and graphics here. Wish the game had a bigger budget and dev team. I like the nitty gritty feel of it. I can appreciate what he's managed to do solo, but I dont see myself giving it a spin. I dont expect much content or a fully fleshed out game to come from this sadly. 
    After careful thought I decided to give it a short time longer before I buy.  I decided to play the Witcher 3 again for a few more weeks because it's been on my mind too. 

Here's something else I find strikingly funny about this site..... Their are several mmorpgs that are developing nicely, yes are not mentioned here.... It's like this site is not the real go-to site for FULL information any more. 

Anyway more on Reign of Darkness,
    I asked a few questions on Steam and here is the best reply:

It has so far one zone and a few dungeons in it with a city with NPCs in the middle.

There are quests and everything.

Just imagine World of Warcraft in Beta stage in 2003 with only Elwynn Forest, Goldshire in the middle and Deadmines and a few other dungeons inside Elwynn Forest. Meaning, it's a very playable game, but the only drawback is the lack of content.

Whatever content is currently present, feels very nice looking and finished though.

Character animations for movement and combat are good, the UI looks pretty complete, the appearance of the zone is good and it has small sub-biomes in it - forest, wasteland, swamp, plains, mountains.

There is no friends list, but there is a list for all online players and you can trade them or invite them into a group to do quests or dungeons with them.

It's a game in an early stage, although there are videos on YouTube of the developer working on this game back in 2013 and compared to the videos of 2013, the game has come a long way. I don't regret buying it and for the short time I've followed it, I've seen decent amount of progress from one developer.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Sovrath said:
    Arterius said:

Three weeks worth of course,  you follow Pantheon don't you?  ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    What's general reviews of this game? 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

What's general reviews of this game? 
    Overall positive on Steam for what's been made so far.  From what I've been watching on Youtubes are combat is very well done with multi class system much like Rift.  Only one zone and one city but very large, and several dungeons.  Honestly nothing bad and I read and watched a lot, except for only one zone so far.  You can level up to 100, that's kind of strange with only one zone.  They stress the cash shop is ONLY in place to benefit development and ALL can be found in the game world. 

Many video reviews already.

A developer is on Steam answering questions.  My question was how is the social structure and chat.  His response was, it has a good group and zone wide chat to talk to everyone and guild chat coming soon.  The social structure is a priority. 

Eventually the game will go F2P, but I would guess that's a long way off, and with no character wipes.  My guess would be play hard before free and you should have everything beforehand.  Not sure that would work out that way, just guessing. 

One video explained everything in detail (very long), I shouldn't have watched it all because too many spoilers. 
    Kyleran