Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Magic: Legends Gameplay Previews Mind Mage - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageMagic: Legends Gameplay Previews Mind Mage - MMORPG.com

New information was shared today for Magic: Legends and their Mind Mage class.

Read the full story here

Comments

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    What a dumpster fire. I hate that it's true but we are in the transitional phase of mobile games becoming the primary and everything else secondary. Too much money to ignore that market.
    GdemamielveoneFolmenIselinOzmodan
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081
    edited January 2020

What a dumpster fire. I hate that it's true but we are in the transitional phase of mobile games becoming the primary and everything else secondary. Too much money to ignore that market.

Is this even a mobile game? I haven't seen anything that indicates it is and ARPG's are nothing new. There will always be both markets, it may get to a point where they are a shared market with mobile just being an alternative platform like the rest but you can't create the immersive experiences for a small screen that you can for the other platforms, and that's an experience people will always want.
    fearuelveoneFolmenNephethLeiHngWeiOzmodan
  • fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288
    The website says PC, Xbox and PS4 so I think the first guy is full of shit.
    elveoneLeiHngWeiRinswind89Ozmodan
  • LuckyMcDuckyLuckyMcDucky Newbie CommonPosts: 13
    I love MTG. Been playing it for decades. I would like this game by default.
    Ozmodan
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

It doesn't look mobile at all. It has a 4 button interface for console obviously, but nothing about that video looked like mobile. It just looked like a non finished ARPG.
    kitaradelveoneLeiHngWeiValentina
  • IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661
    I don't see something special here. *shrug* It's okay'ish but nothing more, nothing that would blow me out of my chair so to speak.
  • LukzfreshLukzfresh Member UncommonPosts: 125
    4 abilities... building around Mobile much? Totally not a MMO. Think diablo but you can also play on your mobile. Honestly for your first real game other than the card game.. color me unimpressed.
    elveoneOzmodan
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348

Lukzfresh said:

4 abilities... building around Mobile much? Totally not a MMO. Think diablo but you can also play on your mobile. Honestly for your first real game other than the card game.. color me unimpressed.

You should try watching the whole video and listening to what they are saying. Those four abilities are part of a deck system so as you use the abilities you draw new ones from the deck, and you build the deck. That's something very new.

I'm in for this game. Sounds interesting and has some fresh ideas.
    elveonesschruppAzaron_NightbladeNephethLeiHngWeiOzmodan
  • hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    the more i look at this game video, the more i think it's a mobile device game
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 808
    That floating animation looks so fucking stupid. I hope to god they rethink these character archetypes. So boring.
    BruceYee
    I like to complain about games.
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    I don't like it at all .
    Diablo4 and poe are gonna kill this game and I don't even like them either
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Ohhh, summons! I am curious to see how the deck building will work.
    koldmiser

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I understand that it isn't mobile but it's designed with porting to mobile in the future. They missed a huge opportunity by making this a Diablo clone
    Why is it a Diablo Clone ?

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

Ridrith said:

That floating animation looks so fucking stupid. I hope to god they rethink these character archetypes. So boring.

Yeah both gameplay vids are wizard type classes. Magic has so many diff types of "classes" and the first ones they choose to show are generic wizards that every eastern game has and usually has first. Would like to see some of the gritier and/or unique classes that exist in this IP's universe.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I generally like ARPGs but I'm not a fan of deck systems neither here nor when Garriot did it with SotA or MtG for that matter. It's just too "gamey" with not much of an attempt to portray it as realistically plausible.

I mean fantasy games going back to the original D&D have had some element of chance with things like to-hit and saving dice rolls etc. or even unpredictable procs. But when you knew how to do something, ie. learned a skill or spell, there was no RNG about whether you could use it or not. It might hit harder sometimes or proc effects, and there could be resource or daily use or other timed limits but that's plausible based on how much doing something special took out of you and how long you then had to recuperate before you could do it again.

But this thing of build a deck of things you know and then get to use them based on chance just has no plausible connection to how doing what you know how to do actually works.

I'm not saying that MtG isn't fun as a fantasy card game just that the random card system is another layer of game between you and the role you're playing.

But that's just me. I get enjoyment out of systems that help me pretend I am that wizard and much less so when gaminess gets between me and that fantasy role. /shrug.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• nomadienomadie Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Lost me at Perfect World Entertainment... No thanks.
  • StryckerStrycker Member UncommonPosts: 110
    Damn, I will never understand the marketing teams behind this crap.

Like, you're making an ARPG

The first logical question is "Where do the majority of the ARPG audience reside?"

Oh right, they're all on PC playing POE.
    Maybe we should advertise a PC build....

Make your console version if you want but I have 0 idea why you wouldn't want to appeal to the preexisting ARPG (or people playing MTG on PC) first.
  • DeathleecherDeathleecher Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Loosk like a mobile game. And this is NOT an mmo.

This is just sad.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    koldmiser said:

Lukzfresh said:

You should try watching the whole video and listening to what they are saying. Those four abilities are part of a deck system so as you use the abilities you draw new ones from the deck, and you build the deck. That's something very new.

I'm in for this game. Sounds interesting and has some fresh ideas.
    Seriously?  It is from PWE and Cryptic, you will blanch at the monetization this game will have.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Valentina said:

Is this even a mobile game? I haven't seen anything that indicates it is and ARPG's are nothing new. There will always be both markets, it may get to a point where they are a shared market with mobile just being an alternative platform like the rest but you can't create the immersive experiences for a small screen that you can for the other platforms, and that's an experience people will always want.
    While not a mobile game you can bet it will be monetized like a mobile game, so he is not far off in his statement.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    If this doesn't end up on mobile I would be surprised. Bad choice of words in my initial post but it's very obviously made to be easily ported to mobile. Why else would you go out of your way to make a game that looks like it came out of 2008? Even the Switch can run better than this.
  • MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    Love all the idiots jumping on the "its mobile trash " bandwagon. Shows they don't bother looking in to it, the combat is a deck system, and the game us far from finished. Then again we live in a day and age where these same morons believe that making a game us easy.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Nyctelios said:
    I'll exile this black 1/1 rat from my hand and cast myself free, peak into the dev team and make them discard this joke of a game.
    They most likely have a reanim deck and I'm afraid a zombie version of this horrid monster of a game would be even worse... but of course they might be unable to unearth it, all depends on which path you exile said 1/1 rat :)