Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elite Dangerous January Update Launching January 14 - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageElite Dangerous January Update Launching January 14 - MMORPG.com

The January update for Elite Dangerous arrives on January 14. Here's what's included.

Read the full story here

Comments

• DarkEvilHatredDarkEvilHatred Member UncommonPosts: 229
    edited January 2020
    Finally, a developer will actually focus on serious bug squashing before worrying about releasing more content!

Funniest thing though, I can't say I've really ran into any bugs while playing Elite Dangerous!

One thing is for sure, Elite Dangerous still has so much potential for the future, not that it is a bad game by any means. I personally just get bored with it pretty quickly as everything in the game is just so repetitive and not that much fun after you do it for a while. I really wish they would do more with exploration as far as finding rare or one of a kind stuff while you jump hundreds of systems out to where no one has gone before. Everything you can find is the same as what everyone after you will find once it has been found. The game could really use new alien races, one of a kind discoveries, etc. The combat system could also use some updating to make each fight more unique instead of almost always feeling like the same thing over and over and over.

Also, some updates that make the game feel more like a multiplayer game. As the game stands now, the multiplayer aspect feels about the same as the multiplayer in No Man's Sky... basically, you barely ever run into other players unless you are in the starting areas. Even then, it is rare.
    ValdheimEggonomiconKyleran
  • ValdheimValdheim Member RarePosts: 614

One thing is for sure, Elite Dangerous still has so much potential for the future, not that it is a bad game by any means.

It's the same as with Sea of Thieves for me. The base game is so good but everything around it is just repetitive and there's just so much wasted potential. In both games just the feeling of driving your vehicle is enough to have lots of fun but that isn't enough to keep me playing for longer then a few days. Unfortunately considering how much time has passed I don't have high hopes for both games to change a lot :-/
    Eggonomicon
  • EggonomiconEggonomicon Member UncommonPosts: 33

Finally, a developer will actually focus on serious bug squashing before worrying about releasing more content!

Funniest thing though, I can't say I've really ran into any bugs while playing Elite Dangerous!

One thing is for sure, Elite Dangerous still has so much potential for the future, not that it is a bad game by any means.

I personally just get bored with it pretty quickly as everything in the game is just so repetitive and not that much fun after you do it for a while.

I really wish they would do more with exploration as far as finding rare or one of a kind stuff while you jump hundreds of systems out to where no one has gone before. Everything you can find is the same as what everyone after you will find once it has been found. The game could really use new alien races, one of a kind discoveries, etc.

The combat system could also use some updating to make each fight more unique instead of almost always feeling like the same thing over and over and over.

Also, some updates that make the game feel more like a multiplayer game. As the game stands now, the multiplayer aspect feels about the same as the multiplayer in No Man's Sky... basically, you barely ever run into other players unless you are in the starting areas. Even then, it is rare.

Trading missions are fun as a wing tbh.

My biggest issue is lack of ships and ship classes. I want more ships, and ship variation.

Eggo
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

<snip>
    or: Finally, ED developers focus on bugs 5 years after release?

It is always good when developers work at fixing bugs. Its absolutely best when bugs are fixed prior to release. Its always the case that commercial pressures i.e. MONEY will play a part. Sometimes releasing with bugs may be the wrong commercial decision; sometimes if the money runs out there simply is no option (Vanguard being a classic example).

When its really annoying is when "big companies" can - financially - delay a release to fix "known( bugs and don't.
    - Zenimax seem to be serial offenders.
    - EA used to but had a change of policy under their (new) CEO;
    - Blizzard had a reputation for not rushing stuff out but since Activision-Blizzard became independent the same release ready or not on a date announced a year earlier seems to be the new norm

With smaller companies - like indies - the commercial pressures are that much greater. It doesn't stop people pushing them to release though and slamming them for "delays". Gamers! Want no bugs but don't want to wait whilst they are fixed.

Perhaps the true nugget in this is that ED considers itself to be "financially stable" enough to focus on bug fixing. Or - the cynical take - 5 years after release this announcing a focus on bug fixes is the "right" commercial call.
    Gdemami