Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

J Todd Coleman Claims Crowfall May Surpass EVE Online as “Most Strategic Virtual Universe” - MMORPG.

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited January 2020
    There is wisdom in keeping the expectations of your audience low or hasn't Sean Murray taught you anything.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]H0urg1assPhaserlighttweedledumb99kitaradMendel
    Chamber of Chains
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    H0urg1ass said:
    This article is really just a stub without any kind of further elaboration, so I don't even really know what he means by Strategic.

In what sense?

Combat?  Mayyyybe, but good lord, for that to be true you'd have to out-complex EVE Online and that's a herculean task.  I've never encountered any combat game in existence that even holds a candle to the combat complexity of EVE and to state that this game will have 15 years of evolved complexity surpassed as a new release.

Ehhhehehehhehhhhhh, I'm not feeling it.

Not that I wouldn't welcome it, but that's a hard suppository to push.
    Combat build options are certainly part of the strategy, but I think he's referring to the new systems coming online that will add strategy to how players go about winning the campaign. Stuff like city building, caravans and the divine favor system.
    francis_baudFrykka
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Lukzfresh said:
    I’m confused.. what are these names? Does this Eve girl live in the land of Crowfall? I must know her story and why she is striving for such greatness!
    No, Eve lives in Tyria, in Guild Wars 1:

https://guildwiki.gamepedia.com/Eve
  • xybedoutxybedout Member UncommonPosts: 58
    What is it about the Tods and making grand promises? XD
    [Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Reminds me of claims made by Wildstar fans / devs of it being the "WOW Killer"

We'll see, but not holding my breath.
    [Deleted User]H0urg1ass[Deleted User]tweedledumb99

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Arkade99 said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    This article is really just a stub without any kind of further elaboration, so I don't even really know what he means by Strategic.

In what sense?

Combat?  Mayyyybe, but good lord, for that to be true you'd have to out-complex EVE Online and that's a herculean task.  I've never encountered any combat game in existence that even holds a candle to the combat complexity of EVE and to state that this game will have 15 years of evolved complexity surpassed as a new release.

Ehhhehehehhehhhhhh, I'm not feeling it.

Not that I wouldn't welcome it, but that's a hard suppository to push.
    Combat build options are certainly part of the strategy, but I think he's referring to the new systems coming online that will add strategy to how players go about winning the campaign. Stuff like city building, caravans and the divine favor system.
    I'm thinking the "long game" to be played by guilds is strategy across multiple campaigns over the span of years, perhaps this is what he was referring to rather than within a single season. 
    H0urg1assgervaise1[Deleted User]tweedledumb99

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    Sadly I think he might be mixing up tactics with Strategy. Eve is all about the long term planning towards a goal, rather than a singular objective, where as crow fall seems to be about sequences of smaller objectives to get to a goal.

So perhaps Crowfall will be more tactical, but at the truest definition of the words, I dont see a game where the worlds literally have a limited life span being more strategic than a game where people have to plan 2 or 3 years in advance their overall strategy.

Now tactically yes, I can see this being the case but strategically, its a very bold claim.
  • BlackboaBlackboa Member UncommonPosts: 167
    The only thing you can compare your Crowfall to Eve at currently is the horrible passive skill progression system. As I mentioned at a previous post, if you keep Eve's skill system, your game will fail miserably due to a non addicting game play cycle. Please change it before launch
    GdemamiKyleran
  • VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Game development is turning into WWE Wrestling challenge videos, full of bluster and promises where the loudest and most obnoxious one nearly always ends up getting KO'd when the fight begins.
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Oi Coleman, I like ya mustard but less flapping ya chops and more releasing a f******g game !
    tweedledumb99
  • fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Wake me up when you release it, otherwise stfu.
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    edited January 2020
    Considering that EVE currently have over 30-50k active players at a time any time of the day is a bold statement to make! And although I believe Crowfall is a pretty decent game as it stands and probably will get it's fair share in numbers I very much doubt it will surpass EVE. When it comes to gameplay and vast content the two are very different and not to mention the genre of the two. Some love fantasy, some love sci-fi, some may even love both and heck some hate either so just because the game is meeting it's expectations, which is great, doesn't mean it's going to beat the best of em that have been a success for a much longer time. As a saying goes; don't count all your chickens before they've hatched!

imageimage

• hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    cant call it a good news as EVE remains as it is cause of huge use of multiboxing...
    active players mean nothing, real human running X acoount at same time would be more accurate.
    (easy to se on twitch some ppl running 8 client at same time to hit one billion in one hour.)
    if (and it will) crowfall go this way (multiboxing), i dont give a minute playing it

GdemamiKyleran
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    hyllyh said:
    cant call it a good news as EVE remains as it is cause of huge use of multiboxing...
    active players mean nothing, real human running X acoount at same time would be more accurate.
    (easy to se on twitch some ppl running 8 client at same time to hit one billion in one hour.)
    if (and it will) crowfall go this way (multiboxing), i dont give a minute playing it

Multiple accounts will very much be a thing in Crowfall, and you'll see people playing multiple accounts at a time in some situations, but those won't be combat situations. Mostly people have alternate accounts so they have more options for crafting, and you'll see players trading items between accounts. That will probably go away to a large degree once we get shared storage. 

I have yet to see anyone running more than one account at a time in combat. It just isn't practical. The game design doesn't lend itself to multiboxing combat.
    KyleranSlapshot1188francis_baud
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    TaishiFox said:
    Considering that EVE currently have over 30-50k active players at a time any time of the day is a bold statement to make! And although I believe Crowfall is a pretty decent game as it stands and probably will get it's fair share in numbers I very much doubt it will surpass EVE. When it comes to gameplay and vast content the two are very different and not to mention the genre of the two. Some love fantasy, some love sci-fi, some may even love both and heck some hate either so just because the game is meeting it's expectations, which is great, doesn't mean it's going to beat the best of em that have been a success for a much longer time. As a saying goes; don't count all your chickens before they've hatched!
    Don't confuse player numbers for rules otherwise WoW and Fortnite would be way more strategic than EVE. Right?
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Sure why not, it's Bizzaro world after all. Nothing would surprise me anymore. Down is up, and up is down.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    edited January 2020
    I know Game-fu. Show us. The alpha is abysmal and 5+ years from even getting into a playable state, the combat; you know what game boasts and revolves around is a zerg CC fest. Hell the mobs aren't even coded well since they don't bother moving when you attack them. 

There won't be some kind of miracle patch and i think the team is grasping for straws. Every aspect of this game just feels uninspired, boring and a poor rip off of other games.

RVR/WvW gameplay does not work if the gameplay is just blob from point to point with no impact.(I know I always bring it up) The only game that I felt got player skill and zerging right was Darkfall online. 

I tried Star citizen again yesterday and even that game is farther ahead now then crowfall.

I'd write more about how many things are terrible about this game but "This is a placeholder"

Gdemami

MurderHerd

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Amathe said:
    Comparing a land based RPG to a space game seems like saying doughnuts will surpass tennis racquets as something you pick up in your hand.
    Both are based on territory/resource control between human made alliances. 
    GdemamiKyleran
  • francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    Campaigns in Crowfall resemble a lot to a typical real-time strategy match imo. First players are dropped on an unique and unknown map, surrounded by fog of war. Then they've to gather resources to transform into equipment and materials. After that players build cities and walls, siege weapons and form alliances with other players. They attack enemies' cities and trade with allies. At the end a guild or faction wins the campaign and the world is destroyed.
    JamesGoblinMendel
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    The next update which sounds to be the full launch feature set must make Crowfall into an entirely different game. Which is needs to to have any chance at succeeding.

For years their version of strategy has been stand in circles to capture locations to gain points with the most points determining the winner at the end of a match.

Those that are more organized, grind more, and or bring more players usually ending up victorious.

Combat is lackluster with individual skill being almost useless. Characters builds are limited due to still in development unpolished everything and the Meta being fairly straight forward.

Absolutely nothing new for MMOs or any competitive design.

With limited match length and multiple worlds/servers, there isn't really any opportunity for long term EVE like planning.

Crowfall is a glorified MMO Battleground or RvR match, be it with or without some RTS like elements (gather, craft, build). Which is what I like about it, but it isn't like EVE be it on the same level or potentially better. Adding in numerous ways to win won't change that. That's like a game having king of the hill, capture the flag, most kills win, etc. Just more means to the same end, which comes because the match ends.

I see very little room for politics or anything close to EVE or Shadowbane strategy. Someone screws someone else over that is likely not going to ripple across campaigns or whatever. Which again is kind of the point of the game. Matches limit the potential of limit numbers holding massive power forever.

Not that there isn't some room for interesting strategy be it front lines or back room, but Todd's comment just seems out of touch with what EVE is and what Crowfall has been. Maybe he'll prove me wrong? Doubtful.

[Deleted User]Kylerantweedledumb99OzmodanJamesGoblin
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    I have no idea what anyone is talking about, with the talking the talk and walking the walk, I bought into the early beta, and I play every night, and it's rocking even in an Alpha state. 

When this bad boy gets to Beta, with all the features live, it's gonna balls out awesome.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Ungood said:
    I have no idea what anyone is talking about, with the talking the talk and walking the walk, I bought into the early beta, and I play every night, and it's rocking even in an Alpha state. 

When this bad boy gets to Beta, with all the features live, it's gonna balls out awesome.
    People are responding to JTC basically making the same silly comment other devs/companies have done in the past comparing themselves to WoW or better yet going to be WoW killers.

It is hype for the sake of hype.

Crowfall has potential, but unless he means some very specific element of EVE, they are no where close to being the same. From the alluded to incoming features, nothing should change that.

Have less then 2 months to go to see if they even make their timeline which they have missed numerous times in the past. Will be a joke if they don't even get the update out, let alone it not living up to Todd's comment.
    Ungood
    Allein said:
    Ungood said:

People are responding to JTC basically making the same silly comment other devs/companies have done in the past comparing themselves to WoW or better yet going to be WoW killers.

Crowfall has potential, but unless he means some very specific element of EVE, they are no where close to being the same. From the alluded to incoming features, nothing should change that.

Have less then 2 months to go to see if they even make their timeline which they have missed numerous times in the past. Will be a joke if they don't even get the update out, let alone it not living up to Todd's comment.
    Apparently his is an outlier opinion...no matter how unfinished or unpopular the game, someone,  somewhere will enjoy it.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Kyleran said:
    Allein said:
    Ungood said:

Apparently his is an outlier opinion...no matter how unfinished or unpopular the game, someone,  somewhere will enjoy it.

Actually I think it is in a good place too and have been playing on and off for 4 years. It isn’t finished though and not comparable with a game like EVE which has been out for years and offers meta gameplay where we don’t even know if Crowfall is capable of such.

Besides, I hate the bragging.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Kyleran
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235
    Is he seriously comparing a game that is non existent to a game that is actually has been around for more than a decade that have a real content and history?

also, i have backed this game like in 2015 to the point i dont even remember my username and password for the login anymore

So What Now?