Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

J Todd Coleman Claims Crowfall May Surpass EVE Online as “Most Strategic Virtual Universe” - MMORPG.

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageJ Todd Coleman Claims Crowfall May Surpass EVE Online as “Most Strategic Virtual Universe” - MMORPG.com

According to J Todd Coleman, Game Designer and Creative Director of Crowfall, his game will be, "the most strategic virtual universe" at launch.

Read the full story here

mmolouWalkinGlennNorseGod

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Aww Todd, I like you, I like Crowfall, but don´t say stuff like that. Get that February update out there and as good as possible and we´ll talk. For now, FIRST deliver, THEN talk the talk.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    OzmodanScot[Deleted User]cheyaneetlarKyleranPuReDusTPhaserlightsakinolTacticalZombehand 8 others.
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    My thought is "show, don't tell."
    OzmodanAlbatroesetlarKyleranPhaserlightanemosakinolgastovski1[Deleted User]GamePlay4Uand 5 others.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    Yea I would say release the game first then we will talk about surpassing already running games..
    OzmodanThaneAlbatroessakinolgastovski1[Deleted User]Valdheimtweedledumb99Linifalkarionlog
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I don't predict a long life for Crowfall, but I would like to be proven wrong.

There are things that I really like about it. Namely, the ability to pick your preferred PvP ruleset by picking which world you travel to. That's brilliant. If you don't want full loot FFA PvP, just play on a different world. I know I'll be sticking to Faction and Guild based worlds.
    OzmodanArglebargleGroqstrongGdemamiUtinniAzaron_Nightbladenatpick
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Since I know people in Beta, I highly doubt that comment unless there is a rash of new changes coming.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    I think he has come down with a touch of the Caspians, hope he gets well soon.
    jahlonAmatheKyleranSlapshot1188Rich84[Deleted User]AzothTacticalZombehgastovski1[Deleted User]and 3 others.
  • jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 388
    J Todd Coleman you have now talked the talk.....

but can you walk the walk?
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Age of Wushu was/is the closest thing to EVE without spaceships, like 90%.

From what I know of Crowfall I can’t see how it would be even close to either.

Does someone who knows care to explain?
    Ozmodan
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited January 2020
    Comparing a land based RPG to a space game seems like saying doughnuts will surpass tennis racquets as something you pick up in your hand.
    [Deleted User]KyleranArglebargleanemoScotgastovski1TaishiFoxGamePlay4UmmolouValdheimand 3 others.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    Comparing a land based RPG to a space game seems like saying doughnuts will surpass tennis racquets as something you pick up in your hand.
    Donuts most certainly have done so though.  ;)
    Amathe
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I guess this guy doesn't know its too soon for April. Good joke though.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

lahnmir said:

Aww Todd, I like you, I like Crowfall, but don´t say stuff like that. Get that February update out there and as good as possible and we´ll talk. For now, FIRST deliver, THEN talk the talk.

/Cheers,

Lahnmir

You know it and i know it,he is babbling nonsense.However i cannot fully blame him because it seems like this site was stirring up some chit chat,perhaps aiming for some business deals,sort of PRETENDING they care.

As to J.Todd,at one time i thought he was an ok dude but after a whiel i realized it was smoke n mirrors.

After what i saw he helped turn W101 into,a huge aim for cash shop and nothing else,i detested his efforts.

There is a FAIR way to do things,remember these are NON owned virtual items,virtual worlds,all we are doing is paying a lot of money to LEASE the use of.We should NOT be paying money as if we actually owned these games,just virtual leases,nothing more.

So when i see games aiming for 1...2...3+ methods to gouge money from users,i get a tad bit upset.Keyword....FAIR,try to remember those gamer's are putting food on your table,they are making a lot of devs ..RICH.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984
    Arterius said:

Aeander said:

There are things that I really like about it. Namely, the ability to pick your preferred PvP ruleset by picking which world you travel to. That's brilliant. If you don't want full loot FFA PvP, just play on a different world. I know I'll be sticking to Faction and Guild based worlds.

It's F2P so I wouldn't count it out doing really well when it launches and they start marketing the game. I have more faith in Crowfall being a success then I do any other kickstarted MMO because there is no barrier of entry.

Saying that these are some bold words. Hope he can live up to them because what I have played so far, it doesn't come close
    No... it’s not F2P and thank God it’s not...

[Deleted User]RelampagoScotpantarotweedledumb99OzmodanFrykka

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Arterius said:
    Arterius said:

Aeander said:

It's F2P so I wouldn't count it out doing really well when it launches and they start marketing the game. I have more faith in Crowfall being a success then I do any other kickstarted MMO because there is no barrier of entry.

Saying that these are some bold words. Hope he can live up to them because what I have played so far, it doesn't come close

Oh sorry I could have sworn it was.
    B2p. 
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    wow, a game that hasnt been released and who knows if it will, is going to be bigger than a game thats had content for 15 years?
    TaishiFoxOzmodan
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Amathe said:
    Both have holes in the middle....
    RelampagoKyleranbcbullyAmathe

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 445

Amathe said:

Both have holes in the middle....

That was a really good one
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    edited January 2020
    talk talk talk, I want to see proof. I mean fallout 76 claim before release was also grand. remember "16 times the detail" lol
    [Deleted User]Ozmodan
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

Arterius said:

Aeander said:

Not yet. Albion when they still wanted to sell founders pack said they changed their mind about making the game ftp but when the btp sales dried up they made it ftp. NOW and probably shortly after launch CF won't be ftp but if the btp sales stop nothing is stopping them from going ftp with the hope of selling subs or whatever cash shop items they add for eternal kingdom part of the game. CF should never go ftp it should keep even the smallest btp fee like Black Desert and ESO cause the completely ftp crowd kills games just look at Albion providing a completely free service to the entire world ruined it.

As for Coleman's comment, perhaps he is confident cause of recent development and if that's the case it's a good thing and I look forward to seeing what they add in the next update.
    Kyleran
  • LukzfreshLukzfresh Member UncommonPosts: 125
    I’m confused.. what are these names? Does this Eve girl live in the land of Crowfall? I must know her story and why she is striving for such greatness!
    KyleranScotTaishiFox
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Amathe said:
    I get what you’re saying but I respectfully disagree. I played a land based rpg with all the sauce for years
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    bcbully said:
    Amathe said:
    I get what you’re saying but I respectfully disagree. I played a land based rpg with all the sauce for years
    Agree.

Todd is not saying Crowfall will be a space game.

He is saying that it will - or maybe some land masses could have? - a rule set that leans towards Civ maybe, or Endless Legends, or MOO, or CKII.

Now I am not suggesting it will be a full on strategy game like Civ say but that they will be aiming for a ruleset that encourages long term planning say.

Whether that can be delivered .... ? Whether it will be liked ..... ?
    francis_baud
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    This article is really just a stub without any kind of further elaboration, so I don't even really know what he means by Strategic.

In what sense?

Combat?  Mayyyybe, but good lord, for that to be true you'd have to out-complex EVE Online and that's a herculean task.  I've never encountered any combat game in existence that even holds a candle to the combat complexity of EVE and to state that this game will have 15 years of evolved complexity surpassed as a new release.

Ehhhehehehhehhhhhh, I'm not feeling it.

Not that I wouldn't welcome it, but that's a hard suppository to push.
    Phaserlight
  • TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    As someone who doesn't like anything about Eve, I think that comment is nonsense. Isn't Eve like the 2nd largest game world behind Minecraft or something? Let alone how strategic of a game it actually is.
    Isaiah 41:10