Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I was gifted an Oculus Quest for Christmas

Comments

• gerip03gerip03 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    DMKano said:

So much this - other than nausea and headaches - first person movement sucks - often VR fanatics just are not able to have a realistic look at current VR limitations are are like "but VR's awesome".

It could be awesome one day - we are not there yet.

I have no issues with nausea or headaches. After a few sessions, that pretty much goes away unless you seek it out like a roller coaster sim. Saying first person movement is a limitation only proves you dislike something you haven't had much experience with, which I continually find odd that people push against something so hard with such obvious limited experience... then again, it is you that we're talking about.
    Iselin said:

Also, don't be afraid to look at some of the strategy table top style games like Brass Tactics and Defense Grid. Any of the flight and driving games will be beyond anything you've seen before and might be a good option if you have to game sitting down.
    Of all the VR "experiences" I've seen so far a high speed motorcycle racing one was the one that affected me the most - made me a bit dizzy actually :) High speed on a vehicle in VR is just amazing.

Have you tried the Vader Immortal experiences? I have not but I'm curious to see a new players take on them.

To be honest same here
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    edited January 2020
    VR noob here....what's the difference between an Oculus Quest and an Oculus Rift?

The Quest is a standalone headset. It can be played without a computer on a limited scale. It can also be connected to a computer to play full scale VR.

The Rift S was made to play with a PC.

While the Quest does seem like the best option up front, a few things have to be considered. The Quest is front heavy because it has everything built in, so longer gaming sessions can be a little uncomfortable. The Rift S is incredibly comfortable and has better image quality but is not mobile unless you attach it to a backpack laptop which... meh. If you plan to play VR at a computer only, get the Rift S (or Valve Index). If you think you'll bring it places, get the Quest.

Iselin
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited January 2020
    VR noob here....what's the difference between an Oculus Quest and an Oculus Rift?

The Quest is a standalone headset. It can be played without a computer on a limited scale. It can also be connected to a computer to play full scale VR.

While the Quest does seem like the best option up front, a few things have to be considered. The Quest is front heavy because it has everything built in, so longer gaming sessions can be a little uncomfortable. The Rift S is incredibly comfortable and has better image quality but is not mobile unless you attach it to a backpack laptop which... meh.
    I was looking on reddit and there are some 3rd party gizmos already to compensate. I saw a counterweight that attaches to the back of the strap. There are also external batteries to improve its limited battery life. Just waiting for some enterprising person to combine the two :)
    ultimateduckAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited January 2020
    Iselin said:

While the Quest does seem like the best option up front, a few things have to be considered. The Quest is front heavy because it has everything built in, so longer gaming sessions can be a little uncomfortable. The Rift S is incredibly comfortable and has better image quality but is not mobile unless you attach it to a backpack laptop which... meh.
    I was looking on reddit and there are some 3rd party gizmos already to compensate. I saw a counterweight that attaches to the back of the strap. There are also external batteries to improve its limited battery life. Just waiting for some enterprising person to combine the two :)

Yes, there are ways to make it more comfortable. The problem is, to make it more comfortable, you basically have to make it heavier. Also, the main way people added comfort was through the Frankenquest, which is no longer sold. If your gaming is going to be 100% PC based, it may be worth it to sell the Quest and get a Rift S. If you like the ability to go wireless, like watching TV in bed, keep the Quest (or get a Rift S and put a VR laptop next to you). Just know the comfort options can take away from your ability to lay on it, like an extended battery pack/counterweight that mounts on the back.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

The best "mmo" style game you can play is probably Elite Dangerous.
    Vendetta has a better economy.  Brian Rubin indicates as much:

https://www.spacegamejunkie.com/podcasts/sgj-podcast-290-space-game-economies/

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Vendetta is a mobile game with a sub and makes money from micro transactions which I am not a fan of... from what I can tell.
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    DMKano said:
    Utinni said:
    Utinni said:
    Beat Saber is the best game on VR currently. Tetris Effect is a great second. You're basically waiting for half-life VR game to come out.
    Says the guy who played Beat Saber, Tetris Effect, and like one other game...
    I didn't enjoy skyrim VR, moving around the world feels awkward. Asgard's is decent but felt kinda gimmicky after a few hours. My wife likes Moss but its not my cup of tea. She's got like 15 games and I've tried most of them. Until first person movement is better solved it's just not my cup of tea.

So much this - other than nausea and headaches - first person movement sucks - often VR fanatics just are not able to have a realistic look at current VR limitations are are like "but VR's awesome".

It could be awesome one day - we are not there yet.

A reddit user summed up the issue with many VR games perfectly in his Asgard's Wrath review;

"Not to put too fine a point on it, but, ask yourself as you play the game "wouldn't this feel about the same if I were staring at a monitor and playing it with an Xbox controller?" In fact, that's a good litmus test for all VR experiences, and if the answer is "yes" and you want VR to provide something more than just a different position for you to be in while you play games then it probably isn't a good VR game to you. 

Skyrim VR didn't make Skyrim a bad game or a better game, no did Fallout 4 VR or No Man's Sky VR. They just added a slightly different way to play the same game. As is what Asgard's Wrath is, except there is no flat version, but, if there were, it would be a generic fantasy RPG with signs that the developers understand how to make a solid game but without the creativity to make it shine or standout. The creative spark that would make this game something amazing has been offloaded to the novelty of a lackluster implementation of VR and it's, well, lackluster."

I agree with his sentiment 100% - I played Asgard's Wrath - and after about 15min - I was like - this could totally be a non-VR game and it would be mediocre at best.

so yes Agard's Wrath is ultimately a VR gimmick

Amazing how you can come in a post thats not about if VR is good or not, a guy simply asking about games to try, and you manage to derail the thread trying to turn it into a "VR sucks" discussion. 
    Couldnt have just given some game suggestions, or if you dont have any, simply left without commenting?
    ultimateduckmoshra
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Vendetta is a mobile game with a sub and makes money from micro transactions which I am not a fan of... from what I can tell.
    Eh, not really. It's a PC game that's been around since 2002 which happens to also run on mobile (cross platform).  How many mobile-microtransaction games do you know of that were around in 2002?

At a much later date they added microtransactions in the form of "Crystal" to enable a free-to-play tier (which was strongly in demand circa 2012), but this disappears if you choose to subscribe.  I haven't spent a cent on microtransactions in this game, not that I am opposed to it.  I am very strongly against microtransactions in general.  Here though, it's not really an issue, but you'd have to play it to see.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:
    I say return and spend money on something that is actually useful

Someone who hates the idea of VR even more than me...

I wear on the ear headphones instead of wrap arounds because I can't stand not being able to hear sounds in the RW well.

The idea of not being able to see outside of the screen..... shudder.

:# 

I absolutely love it. If could I'd build an entire room around my VR headset. The problem is that it makes me nauseous and I can't play for long. :/
    ultimateduckAlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • QQMorePleaseQQMorePlease Member UncommonPosts: 51
    OK BOOMERS
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Blade and Sorcery
    Stand Out
    War Dust
    Onward
    EscapeVR
    Beat Saber
    ultimateduck

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

DMKano said:
    I dont know, I just feel like there is something wrong with returning gifts :).

Hmm you get $400 to spend on something better - it makes you happier - it would also make whoever gifted you this better knowing that you are happier.

When someone returns my gift and gets something better - I always feel great about it, because ultimately it's about seeing someone happy, no?

The best gifts are those the person didn't know they wanted but loves anyways. The OP seems to genuinely enjoy playing VR, but you chose to, yet again, inject your negativity based on ignorance... and don't try to convince us of your vast knowledge of VR. Your past posts and posts here have proven you have little to no actual knowledge.

If I knew a gamer and though they would enjoy VR so I gifted them a headset, only to have them return it before really giving it a try, it would bum me out.
    Asm0deus
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    DMKano said:
     unless you attach it to a backpack laptop which... meh. 
    That's why you strap your entire full towr PC case to your back - just need a large enough backpack.

That's like my son anytime he goes any place. Seriously, battery backups, his drone, food, drinks, jackets, tablets, possibly a laptop. Like he's going on a year long odyssey just to go do whatever with friends.
    IselinultimateduckAlBQuirkyAsm0deusAsheram
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Iselin said:

Next year, Iselin's neck grows to 20" :lol:

Good deal, though. I'm jealous :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

edited January 2020
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:
    I say return and spend money on something that is actually useful

Someone who hates the idea of VR even more than me...

I wear on the ear headphones instead of wrap arounds because I can't stand not being able to hear sounds in the RW well.

The idea of not being able to see outside of the screen..... shudder.

:# 

I absolutely love it. If could I'd build an entire room around my VR headset. The problem is that it makes me nauseous and I can't play for long. :/

We have a VR room with cabling on a pulley system in the ceiling so the cable doesn't get in the way. It's pretty fun. I'm surprised you still get nauseous, assuming you play semi-frequently.

DMKano said:
    I dont know, I just feel like there is something wrong with returning gifts :).

Hmm you get $400 to spend on something better - it makes you happier - it would also make whoever gifted you this better knowing that you are happier.

When someone returns my gift and gets something better - I always feel great about it, because ultimately it's about seeing someone happy, no?
    I am in the same boat with you, but I also met people who would be hurt by it. In those cases, I would say its better to just play along for their sake.

I don't know if "hurt" is the right word. It took me a bit to convince a friend to play DAoC. He had never played an MMO and couldn't get past the fact that it took a monthly fee. I knew he would love it if he just gave it a try. He eventually tried it and loved it so much he played for almost 10 years, but it was irritating to have him shrug it off for so long knowing he would love it.

I've had friends do the same with VR. They say the same stuff I see people here saying about how they tried it and didn't like it, even though they never actually tried it (I don't get the lie). Then, when they play on my setup, they fall in love and buy one... but it was months of me saying they should try it and them saying no. If I bought one for them and they sold it, it would be irritating watching them waste an opportunity to try something new, that I know they would love, to buy a new Xbox or something else that's old and tired.

It seems a lot of people here like to lie about something as silly as them having tried VR (which I think is an odd thing to lie about) and seem to have no interest in experiencing the advancement in gaming that VR is (which is odd for people in a game forum).
    Asm0deus
  • jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726
    I would start with reselling it on ebay or something, if that failed then probably the trash can.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I love the idea of VR. I would absolutely give it a try if it was gifted to me.

However, i don't think VR is there yet and i am patient enough to wait for it. If it hits mainstream then i may buy one.

This OP pushes the needle toward having more interest, so that is good. 

Im waiting for ready player one technology first. 
    Iselin
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

However, i don't think VR is there yet and i am patient enough to wait for it. If it hits mainstream then i may buy one.

I definitely wasn't at a point where I considered buying one for myself. I had played around with my son's Quest a bit and found it interesting but I had no idea they had gotten more than one. When they gave me mine it was a complete surprise.

I've always loved tech to the point that my daughter used to call me "the other Inspector Gadget" when she was little. So now that I have one I plan to explore all its capabilities including the plugged into PC options... why not?
    ultimateduckAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    You're lucky if you do not suffer from motion sickness, I envy you. I will throw up within seconds.
    ultimateduck[Deleted User]kitarad
    Chamber of Chains

It's getting there. Horizon is set to beta in a few months. It's suppose to be huge, expandable and customizable. I've always liked the "frontier" aspects of gaming. Experiencing something before it's gone mainstream. Maybe have a small part in its development.
    cheyane said:
    You're lucky if you do not suffer from motion sickness, I envy you. I will throw up within seconds.

My wife gets horrible motion sickness from driving, roller coasters, flying, etc. She does not get it from VR... but we started by playing Beatsaber together and alternating every other game. Maybe we inadvertently cured ourselves by doing that.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Once VR headsets drop to £100 or less, I'll be getting one, so I'd be pretty happy if someone gifted me one. But, I only want a VR headset for very specific purposes: Elite Dangerous, and racing games.

Gameplay is king for me, and VR headsets do nothing to improve gameplay at all. You're replacing a flat monitor with 3D vision - that's all well and good, but doesn't improve the gameplay at all. In my experience, putting your head in virtual reality whilst the rest of your body stays in the real world actually makes the experience worse.

Hence why I want a headset just for space and driving games. In those games, your character in game doesn't move, so real life and in game match up correctly. This creates a fully immersive experience (assuming you have hotas / steering wheel that is) and so the whole experience is improved.

In all other types of games that I've tried in VR, the experience is worse [caveat: i don't own vr headset, so my experience is limited to store testing, friends houses and a games company i worked for].

For example, all the games that use bespoke motion controllers for VR suck. Sooooo hard. The gameplay is just downright terrible by modern standards. The only improvement is that your eyesight is in virtual reality. It's a great gimmick, feels good for a few minutes, but as soon as you decide to focus on the game, you realise how shit it is. For other games that use standard controllers, the disconnect between what you are seeing and how you control your character just kills me. For example, if you're playing Skyrim in VR, your head may be in VR, but you still have to control everything from the neck down in a conventional way....except you can't see your controller. This results in situations where you naturally want to duck or dodge (because of what your eyesight is seeing) but you can't, because your body isn't in virtual reality. For me, this is such a disconnect that it constantly frustrates me and drives me away from VR. Maybe that disconnect becomes less noticable with time, but I see it as a fundamental limitation of the tech so not too sure.

Eventually, we'll get proper virtual reality, where our whole bodies (and not just our heads) can enter VR. When that arrives, I fully expect to become a full on gaming addict :-)
    AlBQuirkycheebaCryomatrix
    Once VR headsets drop to £100 or less, I'll be getting one, so I'd be pretty happy if someone gifted me one. But, I only want a VR headset for very specific purposes: Elite Dangerous, and racing games.

Gameplay is king for me, and VR headsets do nothing to improve gameplay at all. You're replacing a flat monitor with 3D vision - that's all well and good, but doesn't improve the gameplay at all. In my experience, putting your head in virtual reality whilst the rest of your body stays in the real world actually makes the experience worse.

Hence why I want a headset just for space and driving games. In those games, your character in game doesn't move, so real life and in game match up correctly. This creates a fully immersive experience (assuming you have hotas / steering wheel that is) and so the whole experience is improved.

In all other types of games that I've tried in VR, the experience is worse [caveat: i don't own vr headset, so my experience is limited to store testing, friends houses and a games company i worked for].

For example, all the games that use bespoke motion controllers for VR suck. Sooooo hard. The gameplay is just downright terrible by modern standards. The only improvement is that your eyesight is in virtual reality. It's a great gimmick, feels good for a few minutes, but as soon as you decide to focus on the game, you realise how shit it is. For other games that use standard controllers, the disconnect between what you are seeing and how you control your character just kills me. For example, if you're playing Skyrim in VR, your head may be in VR, but you still have to control everything from the neck down in a conventional way....except you can't see your controller. This results in situations where you naturally want to duck or dodge (because of what your eyesight is seeing) but you can't, because your body isn't in virtual reality. For me, this is such a disconnect that it constantly frustrates me and drives me away from VR. Maybe that disconnect becomes less noticable with time, but I see it as a fundamental limitation of the tech so not too sure.

Eventually, we'll get proper virtual reality, where our whole bodies (and not just our heads) can enter VR. When that arrives, I fully expect to become a full on gaming addict :-)

LOL... Why do you think an entire VR headset with controllers should ever cost less than a standard PC monitor? What kind of stupid logic is that?

This seems like another example of someone who has "tried VR" and is claiming to make a semi-factual statement that is nothing short of ignorant. What VR did you use at your friends house?... a Go, a Gear, a Playstation? It sure as hell wasn't an actual gaming VR setup like a Rift S or Index.

You should probably know about VR gameplay before saying VR ruins gameplay. I don't know what games you played that you claim were ruined, but it's much more fun being a person with a gun than it is sitting at a chair aiming with a mouse. It's much more fun wielding a sword and shield or mages staff than sitting on a chair attacking it with a mouse click.

There is no way you put on an actual PC-VR headset and played an actual game... because everything you said about your example, Skyrim, is false. You can duck and dodge. You can't block unless you actually hold your shield up and face your target. You have to actually swing your arm towards your opponent to swing and hit with your sword. In fact, every game I've played in VR where I'm a "person" standing, I am able to duck and dodge, hide behind structures, physically aim using iron sites on a gun, etc... so I don't get the point of your post.

The question begs to be asked yet again, what is it about VR that brings this out in some people? Why do people post negative things about something they clearly have no actual knowledge of? What do you have to gain by doing this? It makes no sense.

cheeba
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    cheyane said:
    Based on the replies to this thread you are not alone.  The MMO community appears to be not a very physically adept/hardy crowd.
    ultimateduck
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Mardukk said:
    cheyane said:
    Based on the replies to this thread you are not alone.  The MMO community appears to be not a very physically adept/hardy crowd.
    I think it's just the systems in general. I mean, I would be considered reasonably fit and people mistake me for much younger than my age. I'll be honest, while I can sometimes get car sick if the driver is bad and if I'm in the back seat, it's rare.

So I was really surprised when after about 15 minutes I started getting nauseous. And to cap it off, I built a very good computer so that it could handle VR.

AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Mardukk said:
    cheyane said:
    I think it's just the systems in general. I mean, I would be considered reasonably fit and people mistake me for much younger than my age. I'll be honest, while I can sometimes get car sick if the driver is bad and if I'm in the back seat, it's rare.

So I was really surprised when after about 15 minutes I started getting nauseous. And to cap it off, I built a very good computer so that it could handle VR.

It does get better.