Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO is NOT a WoW Clone

13»

Comments

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    The problem here is that the OP is so biased that it comes of as a crusade, yes WoW has it´s flaws but so does ESO... Both are themepark games with a long legacy of world building. Both use action bars and skills... And ofcourse they are different, one has a semi-action system for combat and the other has a dice based one.. One has a art style that will keep for a very long time the other will soon look like we look at EQ1 today... 

Ofc what the OP does not get that WoW-clone is used pretty much the same way SJW is used.. a trigger-loaded insult intended to bait a flamewar... Having lost any real meaning. 

This have been a good conversation

• pinealpineal Member UncommonPosts: 25
    edited December 2019
    klash2def said:
    ESO takes a lot more skill to play and master than WoW and I think that its the scariest part of it for WoW players. Its an entirely new system. I see a lot of people complaining about ESO's combat but my question for those people is what are you comparing it to?  I can't think of ONE MMO with better combat. BDO has better-looking combat but its very 1D. What else are you comparing it to? Darksouls? lol. That must be it, people compare ESO combat to Darksouls. Give me a break.. its an MMO. ESO also allows Weapon/Skill switching literally on the fly, I could go on and on about the combat/class system as it is MILES beyond what WoW has. Character freedom here is key.
    Hahahhahahahah are you actually serious? Is it even possible to be that biased? That actually made me laugh out loud, this is the most delusional paragraph I've ever read about mmorpgs.

Character freedom is not a good combat system, you have endless character freedom and armor types in a game like Runescape as well, doesn't mean it's a good combat system. ESO is clunky and floaty with near 1 button rotations with several complaints about it over the years eventually leading the devs to barely improve it just with animations and sounds, but it's still that core terrible combat system. You can switch weapons but there's no need to, the game doesn't challenge you to at all. In fact, everywhere I read about ESO the number one complaint is the horrible combat so it doesn't seem i'm alone on this. Like how can you even type what you typed ? lol. Unless you're joking that is, I don't know, maybe I got trolled, because I'd easily believe you are trolling. I've played WoW very competitively and I can tell you the depth of combat is incomparable to something like ESO, it's TOO much more in depth that I can't even begin to compare, the skills are more interesting, reactive, synergistic to other classes, mob mechanics, etc, so much so that it would take up too much space to explain it to you here if you are so completely backwards on the subject.

I'm guessing you're not a pvper, and you've done a few WoW battlegrounds in your time, but mainly focus on PVE simple button rotations so you think WoW is braindead and you think ESO "takes a lot of skill to master and that's why WoW players are scared of it". LOL. Yes, very scared, those 5 total buttons are too advanced for us compared to the 20-30 in other mmo's.

I actually agree that BDO is 1 dimensional, I think BDO is one of the worst mmo's ever created and without those graphics it wouldn't have even 500 players playing it. But let me list some mmo's with better combat since you asked:

-WoW (Yes WoW, by far)

-Tera (the only action combat mmo with real time collision, not a soft-targeting system like ESO, your attacks hit multiple mobs at once not just the ones you're targeting with the reticle)

-Blade and Soul (this games combat is actually objectively superior to ESO in every possible aspect, this is undeniable, it's the same action soft-targeting system with a crosshair, but just really well done, unlike ESO. Many people consider B&S to have the best combat in the genre despite the games many other flaws)
    Have you played Blade and Soul? Well of course you haven't or you wouldn't be saying what you're saying.

-Guild wars 2 (I hate gw2 combat but it's still superior and more thought provoking than ESO)

-Final fantasy 14 (more in depth more complex skill rotations and boss encounters)

-Archeage (tab target but very in depth with a broad range of skills, good class synergies and good pvp)

I would say BDO is better combat because technically it does feel better to play but because the gameplay is so braindead and there's no pve in the game, i suppose even though ESO technically feels worse and less responsive/smooth, ESO has better "combat" because it makes better use of its abilities. So using the same logic you used to say "BDO is more flashy but 1D", I urge you to use the same logic when comparing ESO to WoW or any other game I've mentioned, action combat is not objectively better than tab target combat, if it's 1D, lacks depth and isn't fun or difficult, then it's not better combat.

In fact, instead of asking what mmorpg's have better combat, it's kind of easier to just ask what mmo doesn't have better combat than ESO? I can't really think of many.

It's okay to like a game and you're right about it in the other things you said, but come on man, lol
    sumdumguy1Huntrezz
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    pineal said:
    klash2def said:
    ESO takes a lot more skill to play and master than WoW and I think that its the scariest part of it for WoW players. Its an entirely new system. I see a lot of people complaining about ESO's combat but my question for those people is what are you comparing it to?  I can't think of ONE MMO with better combat. BDO has better-looking combat but its very 1D. What else are you comparing it to? Darksouls? lol. That must be it, people compare ESO combat to Darksouls. Give me a break.. its an MMO. ESO also allows Weapon/Skill switching literally on the fly, I could go on and on about the combat/class system as it is MILES beyond what WoW has. Character freedom here is key.
    Hahahhahahahah are you actually serious? Is it even possible to be that biased? That actually made me laugh out loud, this is the most delusional paragraph I've ever read about mmorpgs.

Character freedom is not a good combat system, you have endless character freedom and armor types in a game like Runescape as well, doesn't mean it's a good combat system. ESO is clunky and floaty with near 1 button rotations with several complaints about it over the years eventually leading the devs to barely improve it just with animations and sounds, but it's still that core terrible combat system. You can switch weapons but there's no need to, the game doesn't challenge you to at all. In fact, everywhere I read about ESO the number one complaint is the horrible combat so it doesn't seem i'm alone on this. Like how can you even type what you typed ? lol. Unless you're joking that is, I don't know, maybe I got trolled, because I'd easily believe you are trolling. I've played WoW very competitively and I can tell you the depth of combat is incomparable to something like ESO, it's TOO much more in depth that I can't even begin to compare, the skills are more interesting, reactive, synergistic to other classes, mob mechanics, etc, so much so that it would take up too much space to explain it to you here if you are so completely backwards on the subject.

I'm guessing you're not a pvper, and you've done a few WoW battlegrounds in your time, but mainly focus on PVE simple button rotations so you think WoW is braindead and you think ESO "takes a lot of skill to master and that's why WoW players are scared of it". LOL. Yes, very scared, those 5 total buttons are too advanced for us compared to the 20-30 in other mmo's.

I actually agree that BDO is 1 dimensional, I think BDO is one of the worst mmo's ever created and without those graphics it wouldn't have even 500 players playing it. But let me list some mmo's with better combat since you asked:

-WoW (Yes WoW, by far)

-Tera (the only action combat mmo with real time collision, not a soft-targeting system like ESO, your attacks hit multiple mobs at once not just the ones you're targeting with the reticle)

-Blade and Soul (this games combat is actually objectively superior to ESO in every possible aspect, this is undeniable, it's the same action soft-targeting system with a crosshair, but just really well done, unlike ESO. Many people consider B&S to have the best combat in the genre despite the games many other flaws)
    Have you played Blade and Soul? Well of course you haven't or you wouldn't be saying what you're saying.

-Guild wars 2 (I hate gw2 combat but it's still superior and more thought provoking than ESO)

-Final fantasy 14 (more in depth more complex skill rotations and boss encounters)

-Archeage (tab target but very in depth with a broad range of skills, good class synergies and good pvp)

I would say BDO is better combat because technically it does feel better to play but because the gameplay is so braindead and there's no pve in the game, i suppose even though ESO technically feels worse and less responsive/smooth, ESO has better "combat" because it makes better use of its abilities. So using the same logic you used to say "BDO is more flashy but 1D", I urge you to use the same logic when comparing ESO to WoW or any other game I've mentioned, action combat is not objectively better than tab target combat, if it's 1D, lacks depth and isn't fun or difficult, then it's not better combat.

In fact, instead of asking what mmorpg's have better combat, it's kind of easier to just ask what mmo doesn't have better combat than ESO? I can't really think of many.

It's okay to like a game and you're right about it in the other things you said, but come on man, lol
    This is one of the best post EVER !
    Maybe because the poster is new or only 17 post, meaning we need new blood around here, a different perspective apart from the standard crazy's saying EVERYTHING IS FINE WITH ALL GAMES.

This OP post actually made me study ESO yesterday.... I was willing to give it another shot !

But what I found is a braindead combat system made for 5 year olds or below.

Why collect anything ?..... Why better yourself ?...... Nothing matters at all if you can ONE SHOT EVERYTHING 
    Huntrezz
  • H4lucinationH4lucination Member UncommonPosts: 18
    expect Eso sucks, its on all platforms and still sucks no sub and still sucks
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Its a GW2 clone. There I said it

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    pineal said:
    klash2def said:

-WoW (Yes WoW, by far)

Maybe because the poster is new or only 17 post, meaning we need new blood around here, a different perspective apart from the standard crazy's saying EVERYTHING IS FINE WITH ALL GAMES.

This OP post actually made me study ESO yesterday.... I was willing to give it another shot !

Why collect anything ?..... Why better yourself ?...... Nothing matters at all if you can ONE SHOT EVERYTHING 
    This is something that bothers me about gamers. He's right, and MMORPGs have become a haven for braindead entertainment. Not that there's anything wrong with that, most of us like a little of that from time to time, when you're tired and just want to unwind. 
    But the industry in general has gone hardcore braindead. 
    What bothers me is so many gamers want that, and nothing more. 
    Is this what we've become? 

Once upon a time....

Arterius said:
    pineal said:
    klash2def said:

-WoW (Yes WoW, by far)

This is something that bothers  and me about gamers. He's right, and MMORPGs have become a haven for braindead entertainment. Not that there's anything wrong with that, most of us like a little of that from time to time, when you're tired and just want to unwind. 
    Maybe its because I mainly play Story heavy RPG's but I can safely say that a lot of games I played this year were far from braindead.

DMC 5, Ori and the blind Forest, Catherine: Full Body, FE: Three Houses, Control, Greed Fall, Outer Worlds, and Disco Elysium to name a few all caused me to think about the actions I was performing and in some cases how my choices would affect the story going forward and how my character would respond.

Sure DMC5 and Catherine: Full Body do have an autoplay mode for the people who want to barely play but for those who don't want that option those game are challenging. DMC5 was hard as nails and the combat was fantastic nuanced. 

I agree that MMO's now a days don't require a lot of thought to play. They all play basically the same and if you have spent any number of time in one MMO you can jump into another and be a pretty good addition to any team.  To say the entire gaming sphere has become brain dead is insane to me. 

That's just my two cents though.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about MMORPGs. I don't have an interest in SP/MP games so I just don't know about most of them. That's good news if it's so, and the only reason I can't just accept your comments is because of the many times I've seen people post stuff like that and then find out how wrong it was. But that's just me, and I know that, so take that with a grain of salt and a half baked apology. 
    [Deleted User]

Once upon a time....

Arterius said:
    This is something that bothers  and me about gamers. He's right, and MMORPGs have become a haven for braindead entertainment. Not that there's anything wrong with that, most of us like a little of that from time to time, when you're tired and just want to unwind. 
    Maybe its because I mainly play Story heavy RPG's but I can safely say that a lot of games I played this year were far from braindead.

DMC 5, Ori and the blind Forest, Catherine: Full Body, FE: Three Houses, Control, Greed Fall, Outer Worlds, and Disco Elysium to name a few all caused me to think about the actions I was performing and in some cases how my choices would affect the story going forward and how my character would respond.

Sure DMC5 and Catherine: Full Body do have an autoplay mode for the people who want to barely play but for those who don't want that option those game are challenging. DMC5 was hard as nails and the combat was fantastic nuanced. 

I agree that MMO's now a days don't require a lot of thought to play. They all play basically the same and if you have spent any number of time in one MMO you can jump into another and be a pretty good addition to any team.  To say the entire gaming sphere has become brain dead is insane to me. 

That's just my two cents though.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about MMORPGs. I don't have an interest in SP/MP games so I just don't know about most of them. That's good news if it's so, and the only reason I can't just accept your comments is because of the many times I've seen people post stuff like that and then find out how wrong it was. But that's just me, and I know that, so take that with a grain of salt and a half baked apology. 

I understand that. We all have our own opinions. We aren't robots. It would be boring if we all shared the same thoughts. Just because DMC5 was hard for me doesn't mean if you played it you would feel the same or even like the combat. 

Sorry for misunderstanding your original post. Calling you out when I had no reason to.  

I thought you had a good point. It was my bad, for not being more specific about what games I was talking about. 
    I didn't take it as so much of a "call out", more like a correction, and well spoken. 
    [Deleted User]

Once upon a time....

• WhiskeyZuluWhiskeyZulu Member UncommonPosts: 16
    The whole "clone" thing is just a term players use to put down games.  Like it's a bad thing to have a polished world full of rich storytelling.

I'll say this...  I played WoW during the open beta and at that time was a staunch EQ player.  But I immediately recognized not only the quality of the game but the way they took all the good things from EQ and adjusted some of the bad things.  I have played it since.

Same thing with ESO.  The combat built on the games that came before.  ESO has the best combat system of any MMO, it is polished, fast, with just enough interaction with the environment.  From the first day I played it I was hooked and I play it still.

And btw to say ESO is a sandbox is laughable.  Sandbox is a term for devs who are too lazy to build enough world and functionality and want players to fill in gaps for them.  I have yet to play a "sandbox" game that is engaging and can keep me playing it.  They're full of holes and problems and they cannot retain enough of a player base to make enough money to sustain a good game.

Which brings me to casual players and large subscription numbers.  If you want a game that will sustain over many years and make you happy, you have to accept that side of things.  People don't make games to make us happy.  They make them to make money.  This is a business, and a business that is just getting started.  We're still in the infancy of MMOs...  They're the future.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    WoW is a EverQuest clone
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Been long long time since we had a wow clone topic.
    They used to pop up everytime there was a new game on the market.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    I've never seen anyone say ESO is a WoW clone.
    Kyleran
  • BlazerXBlazerX Member UncommonPosts: 86
    edited January 2020
    If anything, ESO is more a EQ1 clone, with better graphics but not as good in everything else hehe
  • UWNVMEUWNVME Member UncommonPosts: 174
    "WoW clone" has always been nothing more than a buzzword for lazy people who aren't capable of articulating their gripes with a game. ESO has no shortage of mechanics that set it apart from WoW.

What exactly makes these games "clones"? Is it the 3rd-person camera angle? Is it because the game uses some variation of RPG mechanics that existed years before WoW was ever even conceptualized? Does this rule apply to other game genres? Do you consider Mortal Kombat to be a "Street Fighter clone" as well? If not, then why not?
  • Gobstopper3DGobstopper3D Member RarePosts: 966
    OP, What do you care what people call it?  If your enjoying it, just keep playing it and let people call it what they like.  I don't think it's a wow clone, but wow for me is more enjoyable on PC than the console centric ESO. 

I could go on and on to show why I dislike ESO, but that would be beating a dead horse.

I'm not an IT Specialist, Game Developer, or Clairvoyant in real life, but like others on here, I play one on the internet.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Xodic said:
    WoW: Complete thousands of repetitive uninteresting quests from one hub to another.
    ESO: Complete thousands of repetitive uninteresting quests from one hub to another.
    WoW: Change out your white armor with green armor, green armor with blue armor, blue armor with purple armor, and purple armor with another color of the rainbow.
    ESO: Change out your white armor with green armor, green armor with blue armor, blue armor with purple armor, and purple armor with another color of the rainbow.
    WoW: Change out your white weapon with green weapon, green weapon with blue weapon, blue weapon with purple weapon, and purple weapon with another color of the rainbow.
    ESO: Change out your white weapon with green weapon, green weapon with blue weapon, blue weapon with purple weapon, and purple weapon with another color of the rainbow.
    WoW: Other players exist for you to ignore while you solo all the way to "end game".
    ESO: Other players exist for you to ignore while you solo all the way to "end game".
    WoW: Group find a dungeon and run through it as fast as possible with people you won't remember.
    ESO: Group find a dungeon and run through it as fast as possible with people you won't remember.
    WoW: Group find a raid and run through it as fast as possible with people you won't remember.
    ESO: Group find a raid and run through it as fast as possible with people you won't remember.

Achieve the ultimate gear score, and repeat process with alts until you uninstall.

It should go without saying, but this is only my opinion. Both games suck equally similar to me.

The reason you may like them may be very different from one game to the other, but the reasons I don't like them are exactly the same as each other...
    Seriously you convinced me, ESO is a WoW clone !!!!

How can you dispute this..... Sure most other mmos are the same but ESO IS a WoW clone.
  • ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141
    age of conan combat is the best but wow and eso both still suck
  • sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357
    I would say that originally ESO was trying to copy a lot from WoW, as were most of the games being released at that time, so for a time the term "WoW clone" was relevant. Now though, not as much. The games from the time that have survived have long since developed in their own directions, and ESO is no exception. Even if some of the core concepts are still similar, the implementation has changed enough over time to kill the "WoW clone" argument.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    ESO adds level scaling and 1 year later WoW does the same therefore WoW is an ESO clone... the end.
    Vermillion_Raventhal
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    BlazerX said:
    If anything, ESO is more a EQ1 clone, with better graphics but not as good in everything else hehe

I didn't see that at all....ESO is just sheer crap....It's the typical MMO of the last decade where everything is easy, EQ was never that.