Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help deciding which laptop?

flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
Hey guys, can you help me decide wihich laptop, both have a 2060 fwiw.   So the specs on 2 laptops i am deciding on is the same except the HDD/SDD.  Here is the only differece:

1.  128GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Solid State Drive and 1TB 2.5inch SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)

2.  512GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive

Which one should i get?  

Thanks in advance

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    It depends on how much hard disk space you need. If you're ok with 512GB then that's best option because SSD disks are faster, but if you need more space then you need to go for the one with bigger hard drive.

It's about personal preference. There's no superior option.
    Gdemami

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Vrika said:
    It depends on how much hard disk space you need. If you're ok with 512GB then that's best option because SSD disks are faster, but if you need more space then you need to go for the one with bigger hard drive.

It's about personal preference. There's no superior option.
    Ok thanks, yeah i normally dont keep a ton of games downloaded but was worried cause games are getting bigger and bigger and 512 may not be enough.  Thanks again
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    What are the rest of the specs on the laptops? Can you expand the 512 with an SDCard or does it have a slot for an additional HDD drive?  If so I would say go with that so you can expand storage later.  

Even Surface Books and laptops have slots for expandable drive space so I would think whatever you got could be added onto later. 

• cheebacheeba Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Option 2 then add another SSD if/when you need more space. 

---------------
    Tested over a 115+ games since 1997.

Currently Playing:

Played(Retired): AOL NWN(91-95), UO, EQ1/2, DAoC, CoX, Lineage1/2, SWG(Pre CU/NGE), Planetside, Anarchy Online, FFXI, AC, Vanguard, D&D, AoC, DCUO, Rift, Eve, others

• HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 913
    flguy147 said:
    Hey guys, can you help me decide wihich laptop, both have a 2060 fwiw.   So the specs on 2 laptops i am deciding on is the same except the HDD/SDD.  Here is the only differece:

1.  128GB PCIe M.2 NVMe Solid State Drive and 1TB 2.5inch SATA Hard Drive (5400 RPM)

Which one should i get?  

Thanks in advance

None..get a real station pc

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    What ever your budget can afford.  Usually the more space the better.  I have problems with space and it's good to have not to constantly delete and reinstall games.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    What ever your budget can afford.  Usually the more space the better.  I have problems with space and it's good to have not to constantly delete and reinstall games.
    No. You get the SSD. Always. Hard stop.

Then if you need more space add external drives.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited January 2020
    flguy147 said:

Which one should i get?  

Thanks in advance

None..get a real station pc
    Yeah, I hear the airlines are fine if you check them in as luggage.  :D

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Thanks for all the replies guys.  I might just go with the 512 SSD then  
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Ridelynn said:
    No. You get the SSD. Always. Hard stop.

Then if you need more space add external drives.
    Might as well get desktop.  Laptops are for mobility, usually the less you have to lug around the better.  Helps if the SSD can be upgraded to a larger size later.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    How about if you link the laptops in question?  Unless it's two slightly different configurations of what is otherwise the same laptop from the same vendor at the same price, there is probably a lot of other things that differ.

It would also be good to back up and say what you're planning on doing with the laptop.  What you should get depends very strongly on what you're going to do with it.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Quizzical said:
    What you should get depends very strongly on what you're going to do with it.
    I do not disagree with this, but I can't think of any use cases with any computer sold in 2020 where the primary drive should be a traditional spinner.

Spinners are fine for bulk storage. And you can make a good case that more storage is better than less storage. But I can't think of any reason that any computer - laptop or otherwise, should not have a primary SSD any longer -- you can haggle about what size you think is needed for a primary drive, but there shouldn't be even a discussion any longer about spinner versus solid state.