Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2019 is Officially The Greatest YEAR Ever For Star Citizen!

BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,259
So it seems that Star Citizen just keeps getting better and better! :)

As new features and constant updates keep the community engaged and the game more and more playable more and more Citizens start to see the light and join the Universe!

2019 saw records being established Both in player engagement and funding with backers pledging to the tune of 50$Million dollars to support the project and December establishing a new monthly record in funding with almost +20 millions pledged !

And Twitch charts growing and growing eclipsing the space-sim competition.

Jut like yours truly has been stating for years and contrary with the armchair dev's, lawyers, ceo's or general haters and cynics. :)

And it's only the beginning, as the best is yet to come !

Happy New Year Citizens! B)
mmolouErillionWalkinGlennbentrimSandmanjwViper482MaurgrimHatefull

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    Happy New Year !

Have fun
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    edited December 2019
    Don't forget the Star Citizen infographic released by RSI:
       https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17329-Playable-Now-The-Stats

Between January - October Star Citizen had average of 1300 concurrent players. Compared to other space games this is 30% of Elite's players on Steam and 24% of No Man's Sky's players on Steam.

Steam numbers for Elite: Dangerous and No Man's Sky are taken from Steamcharts. The number of non-Steam players is unknown.

Star Citizen players made total of nearly 18 million kills, of which 83.5% were in PvE and 16.5% in PvP. On average Star Citizen players made one kill for every 32 minutes of playtime.

On average a Star Citizen player spent $2.5 an hour playing the game.
      Star Citizen's income taken from here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207
    GdemamiBabuinix

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited December 2019
    This year was a good year for the game, is quite more playable than ever before, so quite more people checking in is expected.

Next year is a year of fleshing out gameplay, with most scheduled work hitting on AI, economy simulation, mission content, and general new mechanics.

As far as a new main gameplay progression it's to be seen what hits on Q3 and Q4 2020, Salvage is the likely one, was recently cut when its dev team got reassigned to SQ42 specific pending work.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited December 2019
    Yet still no release dates for either SQ42 or the larger SC.

Pro tip, being busy, busy, busy is not a measure of success.

Another year of failure in my book, perhaps 2020 will be the year to finally turn the corner..but I doubt it.

NildenHuntrezzrodingoAmatheAxxarMaurgrim[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    It’s a sad day when instead of talking about all the “new features” and how “playable” the game is in a thread titled the greatest year ever for Star Citizen, the knights are celebrating how much money CI took in.

In 2021 we going to learn how close they were to insolvency again while fans continue to celebrate being fleeced for millions with no actual completed game being delivered? 
    GdemamiNorseGodHuntrezzAxxar
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    I dont normally celebrate being scammed out of money,

but when i do, i post charts showing how much money the company has scammed out of everybody.
    BabuinixVrikaGdemamiHuntrezzPhaserlightKyleranSlyLoKrodingoAzaron_NightbladeAxxarand 1 other.
    Kefo said:
    It’s a sad day when instead of talking about all the “new features” and how “playable” the game is in a thread titled the greatest year ever for Star Citizen, the knights are celebrating how much money CI took in. 
    It was the greatest year for SC on both those departments as well.

Hatefull
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Kyleran said:
    Yet still no release dates for either SQ42 or the larger SC.

Pro tip, being busy, busy, busy is not a measure of success.

Another year of failure in my book, perhaps 2020 will be the year to finally turn the corner..but I doubt it.

Yeah what 7-8 years in, 300 million raised or whatever it is, 500 devs, still in alpha with no release dates in sight.

I mean yippity doo da...

When they finally actually release Star Citizen Zealots with all be having kittens on rainbows and crying like that Star Wars guy seeing Rey be a Mary Sue. Well unless they die of old age first...

And they will probably still get a quarter of the players No Mans Sky and Elite Dangerous get on Steam.

YAY Star Citizen :) :)

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

What milestones have they hit then to better determine their success?
    edited January 2020
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

For pretty much the whole 2018 the game was haunted by very big issues especially performance rendering most people unable to play with a decent experience.

On the 2019 updates the major improvement of client performance, ending the year with the tech that is now surpassing the same hurdle on the server front.

The biggest milestone is more on the gameplay experience, the many things added together, there has been a greater focus on fleshing out, bug-fixing and balance the current gameplay, and that shows by the generally positive feedback from who plays the alpha.

As for lists the roadmap has everything that came out on the year.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    That is mind blowing, around 300 million, wow.  I hope it ends up being worth it for most of those people (as someone tired of the current model of games I play).
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

For pretty much the whole 2018 the game was haunted by very big issues especially performance rendering most people unable to play with a decent experience.

On the 2019 updates the major improvement of client performance, ending the year with the tech that is now surpassing the same hurdle on the server front.

The biggest milestone is more on the gameplay experience, the many things added together, there has been a greater focus on fleshing out, bug-fixing and balance the current gameplay, and that shows by the generally positive feedback from who plays the alpha.

As for lists the roadmap has everything that came out on the year.
    I’d argue that the performance is garbage based on what I’ve seen on multiple forums about the 3.8 patch. Unless you are talking about long term gains in which case pleas be more specific.

Based on what you wrote it sounds like their biggest achievement was bug fixing and balance? I’m not trying to sound condescending but that’s not exactly a great triumph. Everyone can agree it’s alpha and if they couldn’t even manage bug fixing and balance then we would be have a different discussion and I’d think spectrum would be ablaze with salt lol.

The roadmap isn’t a good indication. CI routinely moves out things they can’t do and either leaves a hole or replaces it with some trinket. 

What did CI do in 2019 that should wow everyone? Tier 0 implementation doesn’t count as I can walk down to the college or university and probably find something similar being worked on by students, albeit not as pretty looking.

And on the off chance I don’t respond again tonight. Happy new year! I have a feeling we will be continuing this merry dance for years to come though.
    Gdemami
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    The best part is that with such a good year for the game, there's a strong chance that the release date for even one single product on their schedule has moved up from mid 2040, to 2035.

Seeya in space in 15 years!
    AzmodeusErillionHuntrezzAzaron_Nightblade
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    LMAO I always love how guys who have defended this shit like its their mother suddenly admit how bad it was when it suits the argument they are trying to make in the moment.

So while everyone was saying how awesome it was in 2018 it really wasnt? OK now we know everything you say is jaded or an outright lie and you just say thing at the time that back up your own biases.

Fact is they did apparently 'raise' more money than ever but is it any closer to actual release?

I would say no it isnt. They still dont have full persistence. I dont watch enough of it or play enough of it to know but from what I can gather from what little bit I do watch persistence is actually less than 50%. So how can you even 'alpha' test an MMO without 100% persistence and why doesnt it have it? 

The road map is proof of their inability to actually get things to work in their tech demo. Which I think is why they dont have full persistence yet simply because they havent figured out how to do it yet. Just like the shit they have over promised for year, put on their little road map, then after months or even years of failures take it off and hope no one notices or forgets.

SQ 42 is supposed to be the 'easy' part. You know the 'game' that the con mans brother claimed to have played every mission through how many years ago? That thing is getting delayed and delayed and pushed back over and over again, just like the MMO is. So how are they ever going to FINISH or at least RELEASE an MMO when they cant even get a single player game to work?

This 'announcement' would be akin to Chicago claiming 'success' if they 'destroyed' more guns than they ever had, and they only had 500 people killed by guns instead of 'usual; 750. LMAO I just googled to make sure of my numbers and I ran across this...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/31/us/chicago-murders-drop-2018/index.html

so I guess fake news will create feel good stories when there is really nothing to feel good about.
    GdemamiErillionThomas2006
    Kefo said:
    I’d argue that the performance is garbage based on what I’ve seen on multiple forums about the 3.8 patch. Unless you are talking about long term gains in which case pleas be more specific.

Based on what you wrote it sounds like their biggest achievement was bug fixing and balance? I’m not trying to sound condescending but that’s not exactly a great triumph. Everyone can agree it’s alpha and if they couldn’t even manage bug fixing and balance then we would be have a different discussion and I’d think spectrum would be ablaze with salt lol.

The roadmap isn’t a good indication. CI routinely moves out things they can’t do and either leaves a hole or replaces it with some trinket. 

What did CI do in 2019 that should wow everyone? Tier 0 implementation doesn’t count as I can walk down to the college or university and probably find something similar being worked on by students, albeit not as pretty looking.

And on the off chance I don’t respond again tonight. Happy new year! I have a feeling we will be continuing this merry dance for years to come though.
    3.8 did not harm performance, just stability, will get fixed as OCS did after the initial stability impact of a fresh refactor.

The roadmap lists everything that released on the previous year, so hence a good indication as far the topic goes.

The whole point of developing a game here is to make it more and more playable & expanding it, iterating upon all the game mechanics and features as well add new, that's the whole point of this. If you want shiny "wow" stuff Microtech was indeed the highest point of the year as far impressive goes.

Doing an entire game and doing isolated linear demos of X or Y are entirely different things, that's why there is no lack of those impressive stuff showcases yet literally no proper game with such things implemented. That is where SC excels and after all these years continues being the go-to game as far as what it offers goes. The sad thing is that it's not even that out of reach if the industry wasn't ruled by "Cheap to Make + Max Profitability", haunted by greed and lack of ambition.
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

3.8 did not harm performance, just stability, will get fixed as OCS did after the initial stability impact of a fresh refactor.

The roadmap lists everything that released on the previous year, so hence a good indication as far the topic goes.

The whole point of developing a game here is to make it more and more playable & expanding it, iterating upon all the game mechanics and features as well add new, that's the whole point of this. If you want shiny "wow" stuff Microtech was indeed the highest point of the year as far impressive goes.

Doing an entire game and doing isolated linear demos of X or Y are entirely different things, that's why there is no lack of those impressive stuff showcases yet literally no proper game with such things implemented. That is where SC excels and after all these years continues being the go-to game as far as what it offers goes. The sad thing is that it's not even that out of reach if the industry wasn't ruled by "Cheap to Make + Max Profitability", haunted by greed and lack of ambition.
    You’re right my bad I had performance and stability ass backwards.

So Microtech is their one defining achievement for 2019? As nice as the planet looks I’m going to have to say that’s more then somewhat disappointing for a full year of dev by 500 something developers and millions pulled in in the “best damn space sim ever”. 
    Gdemami
    Kefo said:

So Microtech is their one defining achievement for 2019? As nice as the planet looks I’m going to have to say that’s more then somewhat disappointing for a full year of dev by 500 something developers and millions pulled in in the “best damn space sim ever”. 
    You were looking for a big shiny, Microtech/v4 tech is the visible one, there is an entire year of dev that SOCS took that means much more for the game, not something people can see but is what makes the rest possible end of the day.

The year of dev has been many things, one shiny thing is not going to magically make justice to everything else, neither would make sense to expect so.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    <Insert Robert Downey Jr. eyeroll meme here> 
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

You were looking for a big shiny, Microtech/v4 tech is the visible one, there is an entire year of dev that SOCS took that means much more for the game, not something people can see but is what makes the rest possible end of the day.

The year of dev has been many things, one shiny thing is not going to magically make justice to everything else, neither would make sense to expect so.
    So then perhaps this wasn’t the greatest year ever for CI? Perhaps we could agree it was the same as last year with nothing really to show except missed deadlines, pushed back promises and a half baked alpha. 

Unless of course certain people wish to stick with the 50 million dollars raised and ignore the lack of a game?
    GdemamiErillion
    edited January 2020
    Kefo said:
    So then perhaps this wasn’t the greatest year ever for CI? Perhaps we could agree it was the same as last year with nothing really to show except missed deadlines, pushed back promises and a half baked alpha. 

Unless of course certain people wish to stick with the 50 million dollars raised and ignore the lack of a game?
    If their major updates on the year have improved & expanded gameplay and vastly expanded the game-world resulting in generally positive feedback from the playerbase, it was indeed the greatest year for the game, achieving more people actively playing the game beyond just checking in X and Y new thing, something benefited by another major milestone that is the wanted persistent core data in-between major patches wanted already from 3.8 to 3.9.

So yeah, the game is going trough its best phase to date, it's not just the funding.

If you want to go with "nothing to show" that's up to you, you see what you want to see, as usual.
    GdemamiErillion
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

If their major updates on the year have improved & expanded gameplay and vastly expanded the game-world resulting in generally positive feedback from the playerbase, it was indeed the greatest year for the game, achieving more people actively playing the game beyond just checking in X and Y new thing, something benefited by another major milestone that is the wanted persistent core data in-between major patches wanted already from 3.8 to 3.9.

So yeah, the game is going trough its best phase to date, it's not just the funding.

If you want to go with "nothing to show" that's up to you, you see what you want to see, as usual.
    And I’m asking you to tell me something concrete beyond people having fun since that is subjective, or more people logged in, or something generic like “they did major updates”. I hope they had major updates since this is alpha and it’s been in dev for 8 years.

If this was the greatest year ever then you should be able to easily spit out a list of their achievements for 2019 that isn’t broken or a horribly buggy mess. Yes I know it’s alpha as I’ve heard that excuse for years now when it’s convenient to explain away why there’s bugs but then also told it’s the greatest year ever or this is already better then most AAA games. 
    Gdemami
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    @Kefo People having fun is the most important thing in a game. Something that is often forgotten. And yes, it’s subjective. Thankfully it’s subjective. Otherwise Ubisoft would already have made a formula out of it ;-)

Have fun 
    Hatefull
    Kefo said:
    And I’m asking you to tell me something concrete beyond people having fun since that is subjective, or more people logged in, or something generic like “they did major updates”. I hope they had major updates since this is alpha and it’s been in dev for 8 years.

If this was the greatest year ever then you should be able to easily spit out a list of their achievements for 2019 that isn’t broken or a horribly buggy mess. Yes I know it’s alpha as I’ve heard that excuse for years now when it’s convenient to explain away why there’s bugs but then also told it’s the greatest year ever or this is already better then most AAA games. 
    Then simply go see the roadmap with all the categorized feature-lists for all the patches of the year.

Milestones are diluted in many areas that are iteration upon as it develops, the result lead to a quite improved game experience, the game's best year is not because the scale of a single milestone, such as when the first players landed on moons, it's from the perspective of who plays the game then and now.
    Erillion said:
    @Kefo People having fun is the most important thing in a game. Something that is often forgotten. And yes, it’s subjective. Thankfully it’s subjective. Otherwise Ubisoft would already have made a formula out of it ;-)

Have fun 
    Hence why I said it couldn’t be included. Plus the fact that some people like to include players having fun as some kind of milestone in a game that you’re meant to have fun in. 

And who are you kidding? Ubisoft probably already has a formula.
    ErillionGdemami

MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

Then simply go see the roadmap with all the categorized feature-lists for all the patches of the year.

Milestones are diluted in many areas that are iteration upon as it develops, the result lead to a quite improved game experience, the game's best year is not because the scale of a single milestone, such as when the first players landed on moons, it's from the perspective of who plays the game then and now.
    Ok so then nothing of note for 2019. That all you had to say instead of trying to dance around the subject.

Also the part I bolded in your quoted text is just you saying people having fun which should be a given since they are attempting to make a game. 
    GdemamiNorseGod