Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Ups And Downs of World Of Warcraft 2010-2019

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Ups And Downs of World Of Warcraft 2010-2019

Join Robin as she talks about the ups and downs the venerable MMO, World of Warcraft, has experienced during the 2010s.

Read the full story here

Comments

• LukzfreshLukzfresh Member UncommonPosts: 125
    Up down up down ... down down down down down
    TalemireJamesGoblinTuor7Scot
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Garrisons started out fresh on the first few characters, then became of job. They could really spruce that to be an account-wide or maybe Faction-wide and blow it wide open to include aspects of all your characters/work.

Class Halls were a great touch, and they can expand that as well. They could make grinding have more meaning, instead of it just being something to do until the next release destroys all the previous work or makes it moot.

Guild perks were a nice introduction, and I wish they could figure out how to make that meaningful again, to where a guild could work toward stuff together. I'm not sure how they could balance for active guild pops of all sizes.

Making questing more meaningful after the Level squish may be nice. It was the best part of WoW for me. Questing through all the different areas on different characters and getting to work through more lore. After my 3rd or 4th trip through though, I run out of 'new' content and it gets old.

I'm not sure having Devs kill themselves over constantly working on the steady drip of content is the answer either. Maybe if they could use what's already there more, and expand on the current/past stuff before moving on it would be easier on them as well.

Gut Out!
    JamesGoblinArleeTuor7Octagon7711

What, me worry?

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    Use to be my favorite return too or go to game when I was in a slump but lately al lteh new stuff just seems like the same grind just a different face..Typically now its play new content for a few days and then grind faction until next release, its kind of lost all its OH AH factor, its time for WOW2 already...
    JamesGoblin
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    This last 3 should've just been made into one called "Ion" as an overall down. People that defend legion, let me ask you one simple question: out of skins, what did Legion add to the game? Hell even with how WoD was overall, at least it added a level 100 talent row to the overall game. Legion added nothing to the game followed by BfA, now Ion things he can just reset the game and everyone will forget as long as abilities/passives come back.
    Maddog666
  • TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839

Lukzfresh said:

Up down up down ... down down down down down

Priceless.
    JamesGoblinTuor7
    Isaiah 41:10
  • MechanismMechanism Member UncommonPosts: 143
    The amount of things wow can't do are pretty overwhelmingly large compared to the things wow will be able to do. Things like physics, open world construction or good looking clothing are never gonna happen while a maybe procedurally generated dungeon is the biggest thing to look forward to.
  • AenghasAenghas Member UncommonPosts: 116
    I'm a little in awe that the author is so positive about the game after playing so deeply so long. I started in vanilla too but was burnt out half way through Wrath. I went back for a month or two for each xpac until Legion where I simply cbf. Maybe it is simple as a case of familiarity breeding contempt for me but the game loop feels like more of the same every time.
  • ArleeArlee Member UncommonPosts: 154

Aenghas said:

I'm a little in awe that the author is so positive about the game after playing so deeply so long. I started in vanilla too but was burnt out half way through Wrath. I went back for a month or two for each xpac until Legion where I simply cbf. Maybe it is simple as a case of familiarity breeding contempt for me but the game loop feels like more of the same every time.

My burnout came during MoP where I pretty much didn't play for that entire expansion... though I still had a sub because of the Diablo 1 year sub deal and thinking at the time "well I'm unlikely to stop playing anytime soon" ><<br />
    For me, the big thing which has enabled me to enjoy the game is I quit progression raiding. I raid with friends and we do heroic content, but it's pretty chill most of the time. That shift enabled me to take the view of only doing the content I wanted to do as opposed to feeling like I had to do everything all the time and helps me still mostly enjoy the game itself. Although, BfA has really pushed the limits on that for me where I felt a lot of pressure throughout the expansion to do more regardless of if I liked it or not.

I also think WoW not being my only MMO has helped as well. It keeps me able to keep some perspective on things and to be more willing to take what I enjoy from each without trying to make one game "everything". Also, playing a lot of games which aren't MMOs helps as well. So basically, diversity helps me keep a mostly positive outlook :)
    Aenghas
  • AenghasAenghas Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Arlee said:

Aenghas said:

My burnout came during MoP where I pretty much didn't play for that entire expansion... though I still had a sub because of the Diablo 1 year sub deal and thinking at the time "well I'm unlikely to stop playing anytime soon" ><

For me, the big thing which has enabled me to enjoy the game is I quit progression raiding. I raid with friends and we do heroic content, but it's pretty chill most of the time. That shift enabled me to take the view of only doing the content I wanted to do as opposed to feeling like I had to do everything all the time and helps me still mostly enjoy the game itself. Although, BfA has really pushed the limits on that for me where I felt a lot of pressure throughout the expansion to do more regardless of if I liked it or not.

I also think WoW not being my only MMO has helped as well. It keeps me able to keep some perspective on things and to be more willing to take what I enjoy from each without trying to make one game "everything". Also, playing a lot of games which aren't MMOs helps as well. So basically, diversity helps me keep a mostly positive outlook :)
    I have friends I used to work with in real life that stayed behind because of friendships they'd made in game. They play in a similar kind of way to you. I honestly do have respect for your tenacity. I think I have some guilt around feeling like I 'abandoned' my friends because there are games I'd much rather be playing, it is a bit irrational of me.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    The pre cata, late wrath period was the best time for WoW

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited January 2020
    I played religiously through vanilla and TBC. Then I raided a bit in Wrath and I realised that Blizz its model was hitting a big reset button with each expansion making all things done previously worthless.

Then, when they ditched farms after Panda I realised that they did not only hit a reset button when it came to progress but also when it came to entire gaming mechanics. After that I still dabbled around a bit but all of it just felt like a waste of time. I have quit for good about a year ago.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Coorslite
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    i stoped playing on Ulduar for personal reasons (yeah it sucks!) come back for ICC , cata raided hard and burned myself....touched a bit of pandaria , but quit and has been like that since then , new expansion , level enjoy new content , raid first tier for a bit and quit
  • Odi101Odi101 Member UncommonPosts: 54

Akulas said:

The pre cata, late wrath period was the best time for WoW

I have to agree. When I took the break in Cata I had been reduced to coming back for each xpac only for a few months (9 months for MoP) to play through and check each one out. When I came back to check out WoD I realized it wasn't the game for me anymore, and logged off after only a couple months. Haven't been back since.

I'll probably get flack for this but oh well - the main reason I finally quit was the route they decided to take for flying. From the start of TBC through MoP the game had a LOT of content specifically designed for flying, and the game was much more interesting for it. With WoD and the introduction of having to complete that stupid Pathfinder achievement, just to be able to fly, came with it LESS content. It felt as though Blizz was making a conscious decision to make the game smaller, but to hide this fact they force you to stay on the ground as long as possible.

Some may argue that flying makes the game smaller, but if you sit down and actually think about how the game used to be prior to pathfinder stuff you'll realize - it didn't matter, because they were making a lot of content designed for flying. It may have felt smaller, but there was a whole lot more to do.
  • Dragon_WarriorDragon_Warrior Member UncommonPosts: 1
    The best part of BfA? War Mode! I've had so much fun murdering people in this expansion. Technically, it was released in the pre-patch, but it still counts for this expansion. Now you don't have to worry about pvp being always on, you turn it on and off in your faction capitol and then you go out in the world and deal with the consequences. If you start getting camped too much, return to your capitol and turn it off. I've really enjoyed world pvp more in this expansion than in all of the previous ones.
  • ZakhyraZakhyra Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 8
    edited January 2020
    legion mythic+ and 25 was groundbreaking, anyone saying otherwise might as well be speaking gibberish. bfa tho, its like they lost their inventiveness?
    Rawiz
  • RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    edited January 2020
    Zakhyra said:
    legion mythic+ and 25 was groundbreaking, anyone saying otherwise might as well be speaking gibberish. bfa tho, its like they lost their inventiveness?
    I don't think most people here even understand what you said there. So they won't say anything.

I do agree strongly as well - mythic+ was a great addition to the game.

BFA, it is what it is.... Still - raiding mythic is great fun and the most challenging content there is in an MMO. If some FF14 etc guys wanna disagree here - provide content.