Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Squadron 42 2019 Visuals Trailer Provides Ultrawide Highlight Reel

Comments

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited December 2019
    How many "trailers" is this now?

sgel[Deleted User]Octagon7711
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    botrytis said:
    This is the most expensive game so far in how many years of development? As I said before, this game has more raised more money than all 3 Toy Story movies put together and all they can show is nonsense.
    Your expectations of how much money and time should a game like SC cost are up to you. If what SC is doing was easy there would already been an MMO with similar ambition by now.

Rather weird to have a go at the devs that are actually having a go at something ambitious on the genre isn't it? After all from those who just rush your precious release dates you've just been getting mostly copy/pasted titles milking the same formula for well over a decade.

But you do you, boo evil SC because it's taking long!
    bwwianakievGdemami
  • bwwianakievbwwianakiev Member UncommonPosts: 119

Development start nearly 7 years ago, in the gaming world that’s an entire “generation” of consoles and multiple PC upgrades. My guess they figure if they get it out in the next 3 yrs, by then most pc can run it 20 FPS at 720p.

My pc runs it on 2k with 70fps on the multiplayer server Ultra settings.
    Erillion
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited December 2019

Development start nearly 7 years ago, in the gaming world that’s an entire “generation” of consoles and multiple PC upgrades. My guess they figure if they get it out in the next 3 yrs, by then most pc can run it 20 FPS at 720p.

My pc runs it on 2k with 70fps on the multiplayer server Ultra settings.
    To run a game in a cockpit in first person looking at a barren space map,you had better be getting 300 frames per second.You know how LITTLE,how few polys you are looking at in that cheap cockpit space texture map?
    Matter of fact,he can use that exact same space texture map over and over and likely nobody get's it.Stick a few assets into each zone and they'll think it's a new zone...lmao.

Even the fly by of those barren land maps is EASY,there are no animations,no real zones,AI there is nothing,this guy so far has delivered such a pile of junk it is laughable at how much money he has raked off of suckers.
    GdemamiBabuinixErillion

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    Garick said:
    botrytis said:
    MaxBacon said:
    botrytis said:
    If they actually spend it on the game we wouldn't see these incremental nonsense videos that really show they have no idea how to focus on getting this game out.

Please don't post any more before the game is beta or released.

In 2018 they spent 34 million (they crowdfunded 37) on pure wager pay of 521 employees, the total operative cost is higher than what they fund currently. It's not an "if" it's simply what it is.

SC is a game I can play right now, as I do, despite not being fully released, so I will not stop posting about it just because you are triggered at seeing SC content, that's not my problem.

Lukzfresh said:
    NO SINGLR PLAYER!! MMO!!!! That’s what the money is for!!!! Put the story in a MMO WORLD wth!?!? Single player!?! I’m I the only one that’s upset by that?
    Squadron 42 was a core part of the original pitch of this game, because it was meant to bring back the Wing Command campaign type of game.

SQ42 is an SP campaign, SC is the MMO, they share the same codebase but they are 2 different titles currently that are not merging with each other.
    This is the most expensive game so far in how many years of development? As I said before, this game has more raised more money than all 3 Toy Story movies put together and all they can show is nonsense.

far from being the most expensive game. Far, far from being the most expensive game ever made.
    Have you split the marketing budget from the development budgets on those 'many other expensive games'?

Plus we always have the Roberts-foot-in-mouth claim of your 'donations' being worth 4 times as much due to no investors or publishers.  Ooops.   Come to think of it, I think Roberts started Digital Anvil with the same  'free of investor/publisher' claims.  Until he needed money, and in came Microsoft.  That of course, was 'for the best of the games'.  

But, hey, CIG can make some pretty trailers....well, except for when Crytek is making them....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• SeaAndSandSeaAndSand Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Garick said:
    botrytis said:
    MaxBacon said:
    botrytis said:
    If they actually spend it on the game we wouldn't see these incremental nonsense videos that really show they have no idea how to focus on getting this game out.

Please don't post any more before the game is beta or released.

In 2018 they spent 34 million (they crowdfunded 37) on pure wager pay of 521 employees, the total operative cost is higher than what they fund currently. It's not an "if" it's simply what it is.

SC is a game I can play right now, as I do, despite not being fully released, so I will not stop posting about it just because you are triggered at seeing SC content, that's not my problem.

Lukzfresh said:
    NO SINGLR PLAYER!! MMO!!!! That’s what the money is for!!!! Put the story in a MMO WORLD wth!?!? Single player!?! I’m I the only one that’s upset by that?
    Squadron 42 was a core part of the original pitch of this game, because it was meant to bring back the Wing Command campaign type of game.

SQ42 is an SP campaign, SC is the MMO, they share the same codebase but they are 2 different titles currently that are not merging with each other.

far from being the most expensive game. Far, far from being the most expensive game ever made.
    Don't care about SC, but it's worth mentioning there's only a few games near the same budget, and those include big chunks of budget towards marketing.
  • JoeBloberJoeBlober Member RarePosts: 585
    edited December 2019
    MaxBacon said:

botrytis said:

Not correct. Publishers do spend betwen 50 to 70M$ per new Triple-A... and they are mostly sequels of previous games... not counting they can do it for such amount because they spent during last two decades, hundred of Millions $ to built their companies, hired thousands of devs and create up-to-date pipelines and game engine. They do gather Billions $ every single year but can't deliver something ambitious... and spend twice the amount for just marketing and the remaining to shareholder. A fraction goes to game creation indeed.

CIG did have to start from scratch with 12 guys, zero pipelines or studios and 6 M$. All cash is used to develop studios, pipelines and consequently ambitious games.
    There are more unique features in CIG Alpha than in any released triple-A from Publishers.

What you call nonsense is true development, with a start, a development then beta before release.
    If you can't handle true Alpha, you may be stay on the fence until project reach yours expectations. Don't worry, many do understand Alpha and enjoy 3.8 already :)
    CoticErillion
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    521 employees sounds like overkill....I've seen indie games made with a 2 person dev team.
    Gdemami
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    521 employees sounds like overkill....I've seen indie games made with a 2 person dev team.
    Well, Witcher 3 was made by 250 people with roughly 1500 people involved in its production worldwide. That was a cheap game though, only 81 million dollars.

Grand Theft Auto V reportedly had a 1000 people working on it and cost roughly 265 million including marketing.

Star Citizen has 521 people working on it and has cost roughly 250 million so far, excluding marketing. It is also still in Alpha and will cost substantially more to finish.

I know these are just samples but compared to Witcher3 and GTAV Star Citizen is quite an expensive game to make, the number of people working on it isn’t out of the ordinary though.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Gdemami
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Cost over $300M now mon.

$193M end of 2017, $56M in 2018 and atleast $56M in 2019
    sgel
  • wiroxewiroxe Member UncommonPosts: 2
    The problem with people nowadays is that they want a game to be released asap when the devs first announce it. If not, then "it must be a Scam!" <--- nonsense!<br />
    I've been tracking this game all the way back to when they announced the kickstarter, and if you know where Chris Robert is coming from and have played his previous titles such as the Wing Commander-series, then you'd know by now that he isn't well known for being a person who would take your money just for the fun of it.

I can understand that people want to see a full release of the game since it has been developed for +7 years by now. But, can any of you out there mention atleast one game-title that is fully released that has the same graphics and gameplay as SC does at its current state? Look through the roadmaps and dev-logs on their website and see for yourself what is coming next. Perhaps you'll have abit more understanding of what they have actually accomplished throughout the years!

Now, Squadron 42 isn't really ready to be released to Alpha yet, and it's somewhat different since they want to complete enough chapters (currently planned 28 chapters) to keep you guys occupied while they're ready to release another one. SQ42 is Scheduled to be out on alpha Q2 2020 (July) and Beta-release at Q3 2020 (september).

The solution to your problem with "it is a SCAM, don't buy it cause it will never be fully released!" <-- is simple. Don't buy a pledge-package if you think that it is a scam and ignore the game!? <br />
    I, on the other hand, have only purchased a few ships and bought a pledge-package to the total cost of $210. But I will continue supporting the CIG-devteam as a subscriber just because I like what they do and what they've done throughout the years.
    GdemamiErillion
  • charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381
    People who say game is a scam and taking so long have no clue what it takes to make a game like this, Most big games take at least 9 yrs and have like 2k workers on their games, while SC is only 7 yrs into preduction and only 500 workers working on 2 games at the same time, and yet they have already produced so much in a short time.
    GdemamiwiroxeErillionNorseGod
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited December 2019
    wiroxe said:
    if you know where Chris Robert is coming from and have played his previous titles such as the Wing Commander-series, then you'd know by now that he isn't well known for being a person who would take your money just for the fun of it.
    ...do you mean the same Chris Roberts accused of stealing MS's money to fund his movie flop? ;-)

However, regarding state of SQ42, considering they are still working on the legs SQ42 is supposed stand on, I highly doubt their ability to sensibly produce any narrated content to date.
    Post edited by Gdemami on
    ErillionArglebargle
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    People who say game is a scam and taking so long have no clue what it takes to make a game like this, Most big games take at least 9 yrs and have like 2k workers on their games, while SC is only 7 yrs into preduction and only 500 workers working on 2 games at the same time, and yet they have already produced so much in a short time.
    Your numbers are so inflated it isn’t even funny...

And SC is in Alpha, there is no end in sight when it comes to release dates, money needed or people working on it.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    NorseGod
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

NorseGod

..Cake..

• hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    with all comments about this...thing...we could write a book to help them to substained :)

always a pleasure to read about it in everyplace
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    they need to invent the pc still in order to run this game :)
    Erillion
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,259
    Epic visuals to go along with epic talented actors.
    It's gonna be a cracker! B)
  • MacAllenMacAllen Member UncommonPosts: 71

Luiden said:

It feels like half the money is spent on marketing that is focused on trying to show that this game is not a scam.

Actually no money is spent on marketing, yet. They make videos internally and publish them on Youtube or Twitch. No ads anywhere, no commercials, no magazines. They have internal conventions that ticket sales pay for. When SQ42 gets closer I expect that to change of course, given the cast it has.
    ErillionGdemamiNorseGod
  • HeyMarceHeyMarce Member UncommonPosts: 86
    Its a scam

Fraud
    NorseGodErillion
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

OG_Zorvan said:

And not a single fuck was given, not even by the mouse.

Are you now the spokesperson for every gamer on the planet?
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited December 2019
    wiroxe said:
    The problem with people nowadays is that they want a game to be released asap when the devs first announce it. If not, then "it must be a Scam!" <--- nonsense!

I've been tracking this game all the way back to when they announced the kickstarter, and if you know where Chris Robert is coming from and have played his previous titles such as the Wing Commander-series, then you'd know by now that he isn't well known for being a person who would take your money just for the fun of it.

I can understand that people want to see a full release of the game since it has been developed for +7 years by now. But, can any of you out there mention atleast one game-title that is fully released that has the same graphics and gameplay as SC does at its current state? Look through the roadmaps and dev-logs on their website and see for yourself what is coming next. Perhaps you'll have abit more understanding of what they have actually accomplished throughout the years!

Now, Squadron 42 isn't really ready to be released to Alpha yet, and it's somewhat different since they want to complete enough chapters (currently planned 28 chapters) to keep you guys occupied while they're ready to release another one. SQ42 is Scheduled to be out on alpha Q2 2020 (July) and Beta-release at Q3 2020 (september).

The solution to your problem with "it is a SCAM, don't buy it cause it will never be fully released!" <-- is simple. Don't buy a pledge-package if you think that it is a scam and ignore the game!?

I, on the other hand, have only purchased a few ships and bought a pledge-package to the total cost of $210. But I will continue supporting the CIG-devteam as a subscriber just because I like what they do and what they've done throughout the years.
    SQ42, who really believes they will make that schedule?  Fool me four times, shame on me.
    NorseGod

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    MacAllen said:

Luiden said:

It feels like half the money is spent on marketing that is focused on trying to show that this game is not a scam.

Actually no money is spent on marketing, yet. They make videos internally and publish them on Youtube or Twitch. No ads anywhere, no commercials, no magazines. They have internal conventions that ticket sales pay for. When SQ42 gets closer I expect that to change of course, given the cast it has.
    As far as ads go yes - at least I am not aware of any.

However their recently published financials for 2018 gave the quote costs for marketing unquote as $9M - costs which included the server (for the alpha), the website, Citizencon and the 77 staff (think it was 77).

They also said that they spent a lot more on marketing in 2018 as a result of the equity investment. (Costs for previous years also available).

Server costs as marketing? It actually makes sense. I have always felt it was the best marketing WoW did. Probably true for SC as well - let people check it out for themselves during the trials.

I suspect - but don't know - that the reason for breaking out the marketing costs is so they can be set against the equity investment (which was said to be for marketing).

This way it will be "drawn down" gradually. And the amount that can be "reclaimed" by the investors will reduce - there have to be conditions attached (to avoid cut & run). 
    Octagon7711Erillion
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    MacAllen said:
    Actually no money is spent on marketing, yet.
    ...considering crowdfunding being naturaly reliant on marketing and in case of SC, the term "marketing driven" was brought up to new, to date unseen, level, saying "no money is spent on marketing" is silly absurd...
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited December 2019
    Gdemami said:
    MacAllen said:
    Actually no money is spent on marketing, yet.
    ...considering crowdfunding being naturaly reliant on marketing and in case of SC, the term "marketing driven" was brought up to new, to date unseen, level, saying "no money is spent on marketing" is silly absurd...
    The nature of the crowdfunding, and the development of the game markets itself for the most part.

Releasing a dev update video showcasing an upcoming feature or so, is something is the very core of what drives SC, it fulfills community update and it promotes at the same time. That stuff is what brought most visibility to SC, not the traditional marketing paid ads/promotion content.

Even when they do large marketing stuff, like with the conferences with Intel, AMD, etc... They get those companies to actually sponsor the events.

They've done it quite well really, instead of spending fortunes into the traditional thing to get visibility, they use what they already do with the game dev, updates, etc... to be their marketing, and it just works.

This is not exclusive to SC, it is in fact the standard way game companies without large marketing budgets get their visibility.
    Erillion