Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any profound ideals or views come from your MMORPG experience

One for me is that society is literally held together by razer thin accountability. Fully expect people at their worst if society ever broke down. Maybe I should be making a bunker that's decked with supplies and weapons for the last days lol.

Designing MMORPG made me change my atheist views. If someone told me something as complex as a MMORPG was made by random code I'd look at them like they were crazy.  Reality, the universe and all the rules are so much more complex maybe there had to be creator.  Maybe this is a divine simulation.  

What about you that was profoundly changed by MMORPG?
BruceYeeAzaron_NightbladeCryomatrixGdemamimmolouAlBQuirkyUngoodAmatheQuizzical

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Well crowd funding certainly has confirmed there are all sorts of crazy  new ways people can throw away their money.
    Blaze_RockerAzaron_NightbladeAlBQuirkyUngoodScot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    Kyleran said:
    Well crowd funding certainly has confirmed there are all sorts of crazy  new ways people can throw away their money.
    Microtransactions as well.  I know people paid money for power leveling and buying characters but never thought people would throw away good monthly salaries at games.  Not even good games.

AlBQuirkyGladDog
  • WarWitchWarWitch Member UncommonPosts: 351
    All we have to choose is how we spend the time we have. 
    MMORPG's provide us with worlds that we can not live in in rl. 
    Having a bad day log in and play whatever mode you enjoy the most and you will feel better. Feeling old, can't see well enough to spar, log in run synapse and your as fast as the kids again. People are pack animals we all seek a place to belong, a sense of accomplishment a reason to be. to the original poster God has revealed himself in nature so that even the heathen can see that he exists.
    GdemamiAlBQuirky
  • FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    One for me is that society is literally held together by razer thin accountability. Fully expect people at their worst if society ever broke down. Maybe I should be making a bunker that's decked with supplies and weapons for the last days lol.

Designing MMORPG made me change my atheist views. If someone told me something as complex as a MMORPG was made by random code I'd look at them like they were crazy.  Reality, the universe and all the rules are so much more complex maybe there had to be creator.  Maybe this is a divine simulation.  

What about you that was profoundly changed by MMORPG?
    Mostly the size of my ass. 
    CryomatrixKyleranAlBQuirkyPalebane
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I learned that games don’t stop when I turn them off.... They just keep going when I am away...... and going..... like parallel worlds..... secretly almost.... they never stop!!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    ScotAlBQuirkyUngood
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    MMOs taught me that most people are friendly and will go out of their way to help a stranger if the opportunity presents itself, but the 1% of insufferable garbage are loudly and aggressively hateful to the point that they can feel like the majority. Classic MMOs where your character took a long time to develop and you had a reputation that everyone on your server knew could curtail some of these antisocial pariahs. Even the biggest jerk would think twice about throwing away a character they had sunk hundreds of hours into for the thrill of making someone upset.

Now they will sell you a character makeover kit that in some cases is even called an identity repair kit or otherwise hinting at changing your name and face to ditch your reputation. Personal accountability went away with every other penalty for poor in game decisions.
    DibdabsAmarantharCryomatrixAlBQuirky
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    lahnmir said:
    I learned that games don’t stop when I turn them off.... They just keep going when I am away...... and going..... like parallel worlds..... secretly almost.... they never stop!!
    Hmm, so you say there's a prallel secret world behind our own? :)  (man, I miss TSW...)

For the question, I guess nothing, at least nothing which could list as profound. Probably since I grew alongside it all along from the start, BBS, IRC, different MUDs/MUSHes, etc.  and it all was the same, nothing new. Pretty much what was true back then is still how things are today, nothing new to learn...

People were asshats back then too, that's why I preferred (and still do) smaller communities and avoid the hype-fuelled popularity bandwagon.

Popular doesn't equal quality was true back then as well, it just usually means to match a lowest common denominator, as in dumbed down enough for the masses.

Pvp is toxic, was also the truth right from the beginning, though probably it just got worse, on tournaments in the '90s there still was some sort of camaraderie, sportsmanship even, which was totally lost later.

Microtransactions, a.k.a "the fool and his money", we all saw that with MtG and the numerous other TCGs of the era, so no surprise in there either. And from the other side, that corporate greed has no limits, well, Huxley even had a novel on that a century ago...
    Mendel
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Community is important and most of us live in areas which lack it. We have now substituted online friends for our neighbours and a veneer of a online community. Now that online community can be more than a veneer in some MMOs for example, but in social media it is by and large very shallow.
    Azaron_NightbladeDibdabsMendelAlBQuirkyUngood
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    People really enjoy killing.
    ScotCaffynatediixviiiixBlaze_RockerKyleranUngood

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Kyleran said:
    The fact that "psychics" can make a living confirmed that to me a long time ago.
    ScotAlBQuirkyPalebane
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Scot said:
    Community is important and most of us live in areas which lack it. We have now substituted online friends for our neighbours and a veneer of a online community. Now that online community can be more than a veneer in some MMOs for example, but in social media it is by and large very shallow.

I'm curious if you've read Bowling Alone.
    AlBQuirky
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Po_gg said:
    lahnmir said:
    Hmm, so you say there's a prallel secret world behind our own? :)  (man, I miss TSW...)

For the question, I guess nothing, at least nothing which could list as profound. Probably since I grew alongside it all along from the start, BBS, IRC, different MUDs/MUSHes, etc.  and it all was the same, nothing new. Pretty much what was true back then is still how things are today, nothing new to learn...

People were asshats back then too, that's why I preferred (and still do) smaller communities and avoid the hype-fuelled popularity bandwagon.

Popular doesn't equal quality was true back then as well, it just usually means to match a lowest common denominator, as in dumbed down enough for the masses.

Pvp is toxic, was also the truth right from the beginning, though probably it just got worse, on tournaments in the '90s there still was some sort of camaraderie, sportsmanship even, which was totally lost later.

Microtransactions, a.k.a "the fool and his money", we all saw that with MtG and the numerous other TCGs of the era, so no surprise in there either. And from the other side, that corporate greed has no limits, well, Huxley even had a novel on that a century ago...

The only thing I think you missed here was that people will do anything to think they are better than others.  Ninja looting, kill stealing, spawn hogging, training, all sorts of cheats and exploits, etc., and that's without resorting to PvP where even more egregious behavior is tolerated, if not encouraged.

I've learned little from MMORPGs, they have only reinforced a bleak view of humanity.  The more I see the behavior of masses, the more I think we were the ones voted out of the tree by the cool apes.

Po_ggBlaze_RockerAlBQuirky

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

edited December 2019
    Scot said:

I'm curious if you've read Bowling Alone.
    I had a quick look at the Wiki page, but it is well known that community has in one way or the other been in decline for well over a century. What I mentioned is just the latest form that decline has taken.
    AlBQuirky
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited December 2019
    Mmorpg's are just further proof that Agent Smith was right about humanity.
    :D
    maskedweaselVermillion_Raventhal[Deleted User]KyleranAlBQuirky

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    There was never that much community unless living in a small rural town where everyone knew everyone.
    What we did 40 or so years ago was just pick out the type of friends in the community with like interests and still ignored the rest.That doesn't mean we still don't see a neighbor in passing and say hello,it's just considered being a decent person.
    Online has not changed our perception or our community type feelings it just makes it easier to find and interact with like minded people.

Like people 50 years ago didn't go knocking door to door...Hey do you guys like hockey or do you guys like to party or do you guys like camping,fishing?You just came across those similar type people in passing or met them at the actual events or through the kids interactions at schools or during their sporting events where parents would run into each other.

I am saying that we are still the same people,main difference is that we see more weirdos because,well there are a lot more people in this world now and have a lot more media outlets.If anything we have lost touch with morals,people are more selfish minded now than ever,will do whatever suits themselves with no care weather their morals are correct in harming others.
    AlBQuirkyAAAMEOW

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I've learned that anonymity is the worst for our primitive human race. I've learned that every industry is ruined by money grubbing whores.

I've learned that Gaming is the Best Delusion...for me.

Gut Out!
    maskedweaselrojoArcueidBlaze_RockerMendelAlBQuirkyScot

What, me worry?

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I have found that my enjoyment depends a whole lot more from which people I do things with than what I am doing. I have also found lots of friendly people around me that materialize the moment you break the barrier. As someone that is naturally introverted my mmorpg experience made it a whole lot easier to converse with people that are/were strangers.
    CaffynatedBlaze_RockerAlBQuirky
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Real life is a game with very bad design
    Vermillion_RaventhalBlaze_RockerAlBQuirky
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited December 2019
    Mendel said:
    I've learned little from MMORPGs, they have only reinforced a bleak view of humanity.  The more I see the behavior of masses, the more I think we were the ones voted out of the tree by the cool apes.
    That's how I feel too, haven't learned anything new, just reinforced on what I already felt. But of course I was always very thorough and accurate with my games selection, since you can't make a good community, nor improve a bad one. 

If you find yourself in a good community, whether it's a usenet group, IRC server, forum, game, etc. you can try to preserve it, sometime you succeed, but more often it will go awry, simply due to the bad apples / human nature.
    As Said said once to Shani (TSW :) ), if you truly want to understand humanity, you only need to read the comment section on Youtube...

Gutlard said:
    I've learned that anonymity is the worst for our primitive human race.
    "Then a stupid 12 years old swatted me and I've learned anonymity is the best for our primitive human race"
    :) 
    CaffynatedAlBQuirkyVermillion_Raventhal
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited January 2020
    Scot said:
    I wonder if this is a "chicken or the egg" scenario? Did local "real life" communities dwindle due to online communities (like payphones disappearing because cell phones became the norm) or did local communities dwindling cause online communities to form and thrive?

The "inconvenience" of real life could be a major factor. Instead of taking the time and effort to actually go somewhere, you click a few links, type a couple of abbreviated words, and voila!
    ScotUngood

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited January 2020
    I follow the laws of Bertoxxulous.
    AlBQuirky

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

edited January 2020
    AlBQuirky said:
    Scot said:
    I wonder if this is a "chicken or the egg" scenario? Did local "real life" communities dwindle due to online communities (like payphones disappearing because cell phones became the norm) or did local communities dwindling cause online communities to form and thrive?

The "inconvenience" of real life could be a major factor. Instead of taking the time and effort to actually go somewhere, you click a few links, type a couple of abbreviated words, and voila!
    At its heart the problem is caused by motility, first physical travel as people could do things like work really far from their homes. Secondly as we now log in and mentality travel. In the background is the break up of large family social groups and so on. The fact is I know about ten times as many people in any MMO I have played who would help me out in game than I do neighbours who would help me out in RL. But then modern living is extremely self sufficient, we just don't need neighbours like we used too. That has an enormous impact on community.
    AlBQuirky
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
     If someone told me something as complex as a MMORPG was made by random code I'd look at them like they were crazy.  Reality, the universe and all the rules are so much more complex maybe there had to be creator.  
    That is called the teleological argument. Much has been written about it, if you want to check it out.
    AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    A few things I want to say in this thread on my ideals and opinions on the MMO game design that I would like going forward.  I am kind of spent on time, so forgive me for the lack of detail if it comes off that way.

Monetary Model: 
    I believe Buy to Play is the best model with Item Shop for non P2W gizmos and skins. Guild Wars 2 is the best model here. I will take this. But if going with Sub based, I would stay at 5$ per month with Item store for skins.

PvE:
    Open world PvE been a neglected feature over the years in exchange for the Open World PvP stuff. Open World need Dynamic Events of different levels to bring people together for large group PvE content that casuals and core players can easily get together for and core players can lead the masses from there. again Guild Wars 2 did a good job here, but been doing a bad job lately with their Meta Events. Not sure their developers really understand why they were successful in this early on. Spawn timers for large scale Open World PvE is a great concept since players know where to go and when to be there for more players to also be there to join in on the fight and objective.
    -
    Instanced Raids and Dungeons should still be a thing, but I am under the belief that a Party Dungeon doesnt need to be limited to 5 players or less. I want to see Party Dungeons of 7-10 players, same Trinity (1 Tank, 1 Melee Off tank/DPS, 1 Healer, 1 Support Heal/DPS. rest DPS) Rift did a good job here in Vanilla Rift for its Hybrid group roles which made group dungeons fun to play and less stressful. There are less Tanks and Healers per DPS in most MMOs, so why not group more DPS players per tank/Healer in the group? Raids can stay Hard Core like traditional with some easier raids here and there for intro raiders. 

PvP:
    I am tired of the fail string of FFA Open World MMOs or the FFA Lite Open World MMOs like Archeage. I want Faction PvP. I dont mind Open World PvP, but need to be optional and Faction only. No FFA. No going rogue. None of that stuff. World of Warcraft had a good balance of Open world PvP and PvE. I like Faction City raids. Need more mechanics to help organize these type of things in the world though. 
    -
    Instanced PvP is also a great thing IMO. Again WoW has been one of my best experiences with this with their Battlegrounds, and also with Vanilla Rift close by. But No Arenas/rated small scale PvP. it always lead to balance issues and always creates a bad corrupt Min/Max strict Meta community, limiting freedom of builds.

Classes:
    I like Guild Wars 2 model here as well as Vanilla- WoTLK model here with classes being Unique and having their own Unique game mechanics from each other. I dont like Archeage system in which classes are just the abilities on the character. There are no class mechanics. I still want customization, but I want it within the bounds of my class' game designed mechanics. 

Housing:
    After experiencing Archeage Unchained, screw Open World Housing. I believe Rift had one of the best player Housing experiences. Some Open World Market Building, and town building is also a good thing as well, but I still want my own instanced housing that I can fully decorate and build in like a Minecraft/7 Days to Die sort of thing.

Theme:
    I still prefer High Fantasy theme, like World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2. This includes the large weapons and high fantasy armors and stuff like that.
    Ungood

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    An idea is a thought, a notion, or a concept. An ideal is a lofty aim when it's used as a noun and the rough equivalent of "excellent" or "perfect" when it's used as an adjective.
    AlBQuirky
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.