Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Witcher 3 Sees All-Time Peak Player Count on Steam - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageWitcher 3 Sees All-Time Peak Player Count on Steam - MMORPG.com

Witcher 3 has hit an all-time peak player count on Steam recently.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Pher0ciousPher0cious Member RarePosts: 487
    I'm guilty.
    Scotgastovski1Dragnelus
    ('''\( ',.:.,' )/''')
  • seraphis79seraphis79 Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Guilty here as well.  Watched the series and decided to give the game a play through.
  • ShankTheTankShankTheTank Associate Editor / News ManagerMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 217
    Same. Don’t regret it for a second.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,960
    You guys above me, you don't have to feel guilty. :D
    ourox2
  • GremeGreme Member UncommonPosts: 66
    It seems it is in fact Netflix effect because the same is happening with Witcher books, Sapkowski is currently #1 on Amazon's most popular author's list - https://www.amazon.com/author-rank/
    Scot[Deleted User]Azaron_Nightblade
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,960
    Greme said:
    It seems it is in fact Netflix effect because the same is happening with Witcher books, Sapkowski is currently #1 on Amazon's most popular author's list - https://www.amazon.com/author-rank/
    I have to say they are hardly the best fantasy I have read, indeed without the games I am not sure they would ever have become known internationally.
    [Deleted User]cloudacvGdemamiourox2gastovski1klash2defLiljnaAlomarRolanStorm
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    People doing it wrong. They should be playing The Witcher 1 like I am. Freaking tourists :)
    Xarkodoomexgastovski1[Deleted User]klash2defBrotherMaynardRennisaScotAlomarRolanStorm
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I just put in an order for the Switcher 3 to replay one of the greatest games of all time on a hybrid console.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    DMKano said:

Iselin said:

People doing it wrong. They should be playing The Witcher 1 like I am. Freaking tourists :)

It takes a strong will to replay the first one nowdays.

The first 5+ hours are pretty awful in that one
    Personally, I think the first Witcher game is one of those rare few games that may be better to watch than to play.

Fascinating story. Deeply flawed gameplay. 
    retiredmjgastovski1Arglebargle
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:

Iselin said:

It takes a strong will to replay the first one nowdays.

The first 5+ hours are pretty awful in that one
    It does start slow and it's annoying how they dole out the signs one at a time (although at least they give you the most OP sign right from the start lol ) but I'm finding it much more enjoyable than how I remembered it. Definitely playable and doesn't feel like a 12 year old game.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited December 2019
    What would be cool is if the show inspires CDPR to develop another dlc for Witcher 3 even though I believe they said they were done with it for a bit (of course this was before the show released). Even though I didn't care for the games (blasphemy, I know), the show does have a lot of potential and I did enjoy Cavill as Geralt more than I thought I would.
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    Played one and two a lot, never finished either. 3 is in my Library, calling to me. Im waiting for the right time as Ive tried to force it a few times and never made it very far past the first cutscene. Not the games fault. I have little doubt I will enjoy it once the ball is rolling, but my current game rotation wont allow for it and I am actually trying to finish campaign/RP games these days.
    [Deleted User]

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• AragoniAragoni Member UncommonPosts: 384
    It's the second best game of all time for me. What a ride it was. I should replay it again soon.
    doomexgastovski1Alomar
  • HuntrezzHuntrezz Member UncommonPosts: 92
    I will admit I resinstalled it and have been playing since I began watching the witcher.
  • SplitStream13SplitStream13 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    I'm one of those fucks that is hellbent on the fact that steam is shit and i like to own my games. So I'm playing Witcher ... on GOG. Which I bought from a brick and mortar store. On launch day it came with bunch of free DLCs and a map and stickers and a thank you note. 10/10 would do it again.
  • gastovski1gastovski1 Member UncommonPosts: 99
    finished eight times already both with dlcs plus major gameplay mods.
    [Deleted User]
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    I can't force myself to play TW1 but I am strongly considering giving TW2 another run, I've played TW3 to death I think I have like 1500 hours in that thing. I was trying to get all the endings isn't there like 30 or something? I've only gotten about 3 different ones to date, but I am guilty of missing things the first playthrough so each playthrough after gets slower and slower because I'm exploring. 
    AlomarPalebane
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    edited December 2019

Rennisa
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    Not to mention that CDPR timed their winter sale (both GoG and Steam) particularly well...

Depending on whether you want only the core game for $8 or the GOTY for $15, what better time to capitalise on the hype?

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Deyirn said:
    I bought and refunded this dumb game. It's so overrated, it's the same thing like with Skyrim - same overrated trash. Hope this hype dies soon, the game is nothing but Gothic/Risen with new graphics and a different setting and those games don't have much replay value after you play them once.

The real RPG king is TES 3 Morrowind.
    So edgy he can shave with his extended thumb.
    [Deleted User]
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Gee, I wonder why? LOL. Not guilty here!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• WaanWaan Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Also bought it on PS4 cause of the show. Originally played it on pc at release. I actually forgot how good the game was - havent been this immersed since years. 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I wasn't ever sure if I would like the Witcher series because of the combat....It just seems like so much work to do everything.
  • WaltzBWaltzB Member CommonPosts: 2
    So you all 'Tossed a coin to your Witcher (Oh Valley of Plenty)' someone had to say it. =P
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    I just don't get how the entire media swallowed this right away (sure, I'm biased by default with anything steamygabe does), and they swallowed it big time...
    Gaming sites, fine, it's kinda their job. General IT sites and news outlets, was eyebrow raising. But when even tv show covering portals and fanblogs citing this piece, carrying it around like a trophy "look, the show is so awesome even steamcharts..."  WTF?

It ain't about the show, nor the game, just about how good (unfortunately) steamygabe's marketing division is... Witcher 3 is literally the flagship of DRM-free games, and the only AAA title with several millions of sold copies outside of steam (and similar bloatwares like origin, uplay, etc.).
    They even had boxed physical release, like in the old, pre-steamygabe days, install it from the discs and play - no "have to register first", no "log in before launch", none of that bullshit.

Don't get me wrong, I ain't against the whole replay phenomena which is clearly there.
    The show is good, Witcher 3 is good, it was on sale the entire month on gog (and steam had a sale as well), obviously players replay it now, or even play it the first time due to the show.
    It's almost natural, and not something news-worthy (imo).
    And definitely not by pointing at steamycharts, FFS.
    When it's about Witcher.