Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Mandalorian

2»

Comments

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    edited December 2019
    Utinni said:
    Worth watching but I've got no clue how they spent $15,000,000 per episode on this. Each episode is like 32 minutes of actual show. Most expensive show per run time ever created.

some episodes are longer and considering alot of 2 hour movies cost that much or more to make thats not bad
  • KraxxinKraxxin Member UncommonPosts: 38
    DMKano said:

Also Rise of the Skywalker - not sure what the hate is - the movie was pretty good

I couldn't agree more. I didn't see anything wrong with it, and enjoyed watching it. 
    HatefullAgent_Joseph
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Poor reception of a title typically spreads to other titles with a relation. People like to hate something purely to reinforce their preconceived views, like with Fallout 76.
    Sovrath
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    DMKano said:
    Not a star wars fan - but the show is decent.

Also Rise of the Skywalker - not sure what the hate is - the movie was pretty good

Thought movie was ok. It had a lot of hand waving the plot the first half of the movie.  Probably to fix the different direction 8th episode took with another director.
    Tiller said:
    The show reminds me a lot of SWG. The day to day stuff going on Star Wars stuff. I always thought this would have been a better setting for SWG so Jedi/darksiders make sense in canon. 

I don't know why but it gives me desires to see a SWG 2 based on that time period.  Empire remnants, New Republic and Jedi, Mandalorian, bounty hunter guild and etc.  It's the sandbox we need.

I know it sounds weird but when I watched the original movies I always looked into the background of most scenes with other characters and wondered, what is that persons story? No joke.

The EU books really dove into some of those questions some of us had so I know I'm not the only one, like "Tales from Mos Eisley". SWG gave me a chance to actually play as that unknown backgound guy, living in the Star Wars Universe, an unknown, making a name a for myself in a galaxy far far away.

When I heard the statement from Lucas Arts state that "No one wants to be Uncle Owen”  I felt kinda gutted because there is a faction of Star Wars fans who want just that, a great role playing experience, not as someone else, but as themselves in a Star Wars world. You gotta admit some of us who played have some great stories to share of this world outside the movies, bring that back.

This is what I want from most MMORPG. 
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    Is season 1 done? We were going to use our free week of Dinsey+ to binge it. ;)
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Yes it's done.
    ultimateduck
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Tiller said:
    The show reminds me a lot of SWG. The day to day stuff going on Star Wars stuff. I always thought this would have been a better setting for SWG so Jedi/darksiders make sense in canon. 

I don't know why but it gives me desires to see a SWG 2 based on that time period.  Empire remnants, New Republic and Jedi, Mandalorian, bounty hunter guild and etc.  It's the sandbox we need.

I know it sounds weird but when I watched the original movies I always looked into the background of most scenes with other characters and wondered, what is that persons story? No joke.

The EU books really dove into some of those questions some of us had so I know I'm not the only one, like "Tales from Mos Eisley". SWG gave me a chance to actually play as that unknown backgound guy, living in the Star Wars Universe, an unknown, making a name a for myself in a galaxy far far away.

When I heard the statement from Lucas Arts state that "No one wants to be Uncle Owen”  I felt kinda gutted because there is a faction of Star Wars fans who want just that, a great role playing experience, not as someone else, but as themselves in a Star Wars world. You gotta admit some of us who played have some great stories to share of this world outside the movies, bring that back.

This is what I want from most MMORPG. 
    You can. It exists.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I haven't enjoyed Star Wars this much since Rogue One.

I haven't waited for an episode of a show to come out with anticipation since I can't even remember.  In fact, I usually wait for entire seasons of shows to air before I watch them, but with this I was waiting every Friday to see what happened next.

It's not perfect, it has its flaws.  The episodes are entirely too short for starters.  I mean, even The Witcher could afford to make hour long episodes, so you're telling me Disney with its umpteen billions in revenue per year can't squeeze an extra 20-30 minutes per episode?

Some of the costumes look reallllly bad, like the guard on the prisoner transport who looked more like he was cosplaying a Star Wars character than actually being one.  Then there were the Twileks who looked like space hobos.

Overall though, it made me feel good.  I like watching a hero do heroic things.  I'm sick and tired as shit of all the grimdark, depressed anti-hero's we're getting on TV recently.  It felt good to cheer for a good guy for once.  A genuinely good guy.

More of that please, even if it is a bit rough around the edges in places.

I'll take a rough diamond any day over a polished turd.
    GdemamiGorwe
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited January 2020
    Love Marty Robbins music and its preety amazing how much this guys voice sounds like Martys.
    Babuinix
    H0urg1ass said:
    I haven't enjoyed Star Wars this much since Rogue One.

I haven't waited for an episode of a show to come out with anticipation since I can't even remember.  In fact, I usually wait for entire seasons of shows to air before I watch them, but with this I was waiting every Friday to see what happened next.

It's not perfect, it has its flaws.  The episodes are entirely too short for starters.  I mean, even The Witcher could afford to make hour long episodes, so you're telling me Disney with its umpteen billions in revenue per year can't squeeze an extra 20-30 minutes per episode?

Some of the costumes look reallllly bad, like the guard on the prisoner transport who looked more like he was cosplaying a Star Wars character than actually being one.  Then there were the Twileks who looked like space hobos.

Overall though, it made me feel good.  I like watching a hero do heroic things.  I'm sick and tired as shit of all the grimdark, depressed anti-hero's we're getting on TV recently.  It felt good to cheer for a good guy for once.  A genuinely good guy.

More of that please, even if it is a bit rough around the edges in places.

I'll take a rough diamond any day over a polished turd.
    Lol, I like the B level acting and costumes.  It fits with their whole weird low tech low complicated high tech science and people mixed in with weird puppets thing the orginal trilogy had.    
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Dibdabs said:
    To me the series averages out at a 5/10 overall.  I thought the 'Magnificent 2' episode was a particularly lazy script with the glaring plot hole that his ship's guns would have blown away the AT-ST in seconds.  None of the characters seem fleshed out and what depth there is on the series is relying on nods towards the films, such as Tattooine and the cantina.  If "Baby Yoda" wasn't in it it wouldn't have as many people watching it - women in general seem driven to dolphin-like squeals of excitement every time the puppet makes an appearance.  Very strange.  :D  It passes the time in an agreeable manner, mind you, but I'd never watch again and again like I do with Firefly.

Pretty spot on. The show is watchable, but nothing special. In an era where we have shows like The Expanse, Mandalorian is thoroughly mediocre B tier story telling. If it wasn't Star Wars, it wouldn't get the praise it does.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984
    Arterius said:
    Dibdabs said:
    To me the series averages out at a 5/10 overall.  I thought the 'Magnificent 2' episode was a particularly lazy script with the glaring plot hole that his ship's guns would have blown away the AT-ST in seconds.  None of the characters seem fleshed out and what depth there is on the series is relying on nods towards the films, such as Tattooine and the cantina.  If "Baby Yoda" wasn't in it it wouldn't have as many people watching it - women in general seem driven to dolphin-like squeals of excitement every time the puppet makes an appearance.  Very strange.  :D  It passes the time in an agreeable manner, mind you, but I'd never watch again and again like I do with Firefly.

Pretty spot on. The show is watchable, but nothing special. In an era where we have shows like The Expanse, Mandalorian is thoroughly mediocre B tier story telling. If it wasn't Star Wars, it wouldn't get the praise it does.
    I really have to go back and try to watch the expanse. I have read the books and love them with all my heart. So when the show premiered I watched the first 3 episodes and jumped shipped. Maybe it was unfair to judge it so quickly because I have heard nothing but extreme praise about the show since.
    I did the same thing but think I made it up to 5. I also have heard this latest season was fantastic so maybe I’ll have to revisit.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Arterius said:
    Dibdabs said:

I really have to go back and try to watch the expanse. I have read the books and love them with all my heart. So when the show premiered I watched the first 3 episodes and jumped shipped. Maybe it was unfair to judge it so quickly because I have heard nothing but extreme praise about the show since.

I was hooked right away. It had a very Babylon 5 feel with a gritty realism that I liked a lot. Space isn't well manicured soap opera stars going around politely shooting lasers at each other. It's full of crooked politicians, greedy corporations and crime lords all praying on the little guy.

Space travel and combat are also given a decent attempt at believable realism as long as you don't look too close. Crazy high G maneuvers from other shows are a big deal and can outright kill the crew. In combat all of the air is pumped out of the crew compartment and everyone wears space suits to prevent explosive decompression and instant death of everyone onboard.

It's the best Sci-Fi series of the 2010s and it's only getting better.
  • jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Arterius said:
    Dibdabs said:

I was hooked right away. It had a very Babylon 5 feel with a gritty realism that I liked a lot. Space isn't well manicured soap opera stars going around politely shooting lasers at each other. It's full of crooked politicians, greedy corporations and crime lords all praying on the little guy.

Space travel and combat are also given a decent attempt at believable realism as long as you don't look too close. Crazy high G maneuvers from other shows are a big deal and can outright kill the crew. In combat all of the air is pumped out of the crew compartment and everyone wears space suits to prevent explosive decompression and instant death of everyone onboard.

It's the best Sci-Fi series of the 2010s and it's only getting better.
    Shows really taken off in popularity.  Amazon is renewing for another season and the CEO is apparently a fan of the show.  It's looks pretty bright for the near future of the show.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I personally didn't like the Mandalorian that much. I give it a 4/10. 

The plot holes and the short episodes killed it for me. I have felt that way about most of the Star Wars stuff. The only reason I watch SW is because i like sci-fi. 

When you mix Sci-fi + $$$$$, it means i'm probably going to watch it. But I don't think it was very good. 

Perhaps, if I did my usual and binge watched the whole thing at one time, I may have felt better, but i didn't. 

Either way, I will end up watching the second season because i watched it with my family and since i'll expect it to suck, i'll probably like it more. 

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AbugadAbugad Newbie CommonPosts: 6
    if I did my usual and binge watched the whole thing at one time, I may have felt better, but i didn't. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I'm not sure who the target audience is, My daughter likes it, well baby Yoda anyway, so she got me to watch it. I felt like I was watching a Saturday morning show aimed at pre-teens.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Season 2 starts  October 30th woohoo. 
    Sovrath
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I haven't watched the first season, looks like it's about the ultimate baby sitter xD
    Asheram
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter