Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Impact of Guild Wars 2 - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• Dixi01Dixi01 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    edited December 2019
    GW2 - is not a good game by initial design. No healers, no tanks, no dedicated roles - not a group game.
    I tried to play it but quit when we tried to do group activities, around level 60 (as I remember), and I saw how bad it was implemented.

GW1 was better game, at least I played it for longer time.
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited December 2019
    Raquis said:
    IT HAS BEEN ALMOST 10 F**KING YEARS SINCE GUILD WARS 2 WAS MAHE F**KING GUILD WARS 3!
    If they made another GW, it would be a mobile game. Lineage M basically alone is making more bucks than all NC PC games together, as of 3Q2019 earnings, for example:

GW2 made 15 billion KRW on the 3rd quarter which is good, basically on par with Aion. Mobile Games, which right now only Lineage M counts, made 213 billion KRW for the quarter.

(Lineage 2 Revolution was made by Netmarble, thus its revenues don't configure in mobile games sales, but in royalty sales (44 billion KRW in total royalties for the quarter)).

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    I found the live story meh at best. Also being forced to keep up to the content a drudgery. I get later they let you play it at your own pace if you paid them cash. Funny as at first I loved the game. Not a 100% sure where they lost me. 
  • rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    edited December 2019
    Personally never really seen any game takes bits from GW2 , so I'm not sure if GW 2 had any impact on game design. If anything, it took from other mmos bits like Rift real time events, and Lineage 2 world boss system.

Just to mention a few:
    - Their overflow megaserver system that automatically scales linearly to serve virtually uncapped concurrent player numbers.
    - A server system that supports live patches during runtime. Not even weekly maintenances needed. Some server patches go live without the need of restarting the clients.
    - Progression dungeon system (Fractals) got implemented into Diablo, WoW and who knows where else.
    - Level scaling and difficulty scaling. Many MMO-s started to use these features right after GW2 showed popular alternative implementations to both.
    - Regular quarterly content (story, new maps, etc.) patches become a trend nowadays.
    - Easy to use social features. (Players can be in multiple guilds, guild members are marked on world map, name plate colors indicate all types of social bonds.)
    - Also Heart of Thorns and LS maps have the best meta event system that guides and circulates masses of players throughout whole maps.
    Liljna
  • dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Nanfoodle said:
    I found the live story meh at best. Also being forced to keep up to the content a drudgery. I get later they let you play it at your own pace if you paid them cash. Funny as at first I loved the game. Not a 100% sure where they lost me. 
    This statememnt feels confusing, unless something changed.. in order to unlock a living story chapter for free all you need to do is login while its the current one, nothing more. I did that with the entire season 3 never actually played it until now.
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    The worst aspect of the game is the one i enjoy the most - grouping. Wish it was as good as the open world exploration aspect.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    The best thing to come out of GW2 was the character and outfit customization options. It's crazy to think nobody has copied or improved on it 7 years later.

It's the only game I've played where you could really make a character your own and not feel like a copy paste of everyone else.

Want to dress up for a White Christmas? No problem. You can dye everything on your armor and find weapons to match. Almost any style (except the classic robed wizard for some reason) is achievable.

[Deleted User]Octagon7711residentx
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Aeander said:
    Ungood said:
    GW2 was a great cautionary tale of how not to develop a game by the seat of your pants and giving into whatever the noisemakers tell you to do.

You know, I think you're misdiagnosing the problem because of personal projection.

It took them years to reach a steady content cadence that was both feasible to develop and acceptable to the community.

Season 1's "every 2 weeks" content cadence was completely unsustainable, hell on the developers, and resulted in wildly inconsistent content quality. It produced some memorably positive updates (Tower of Nightmares, Zephyr Sanctum, Queen's Jubilee, Battle of Lion's Arch), but mostly fell into unsatisfactory updates. Plus, the entire thing suffered from the misguided concept of temporary content. Why did anyone think this was a good idea?

Season 2 was a transitionary period, and it was clear that the live game's update cadence was suffering due to the in-development expansion. They couldn't even provide time tables for most of these patches. And frankly, the new maps that arose from this weren't great and had no longevity outside of the resources exclusive to them. These maps don't even function properly anymore due to lack of players.

And then it didn't help that Heart of Thorns wasn't a great expansion. It had a lot of welcome features, but it was content lite, the maps sucked, and all of it felt alienating.

Season 3 was when they hit their stride. Entire maps every few months with new story. And then they'd have a new (much better) expansion in 2 years time to reinvigorate the community at large.

Season 4 should have been more of the same, but I think Season 3 and Path of Fire were basically too late. The damage is done. 

But my assertion is this. Season 3, Season 4, and Path of Fire represent the content cadence the game always should have had. And if the game had always maintained that 3-4 month new map cadence, perhaps people wouldn't have been complaining about the lack of endgame in the first place.
    Thank you, you just listed some of the reason why it was bad to try and develop a game by the seat of your pants and listen to the noisemakers.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    Dixi01 said:
    GW2 - is not a good game by initial design. No healers, no tanks, no dedicated roles - not a group game.
    I tried to play it but quit when we tried to do group activities, around level 60 (as I remember), and I saw how bad it was implemented.

GW1 was better game, at least I played it for longer time.
    IMHO, GW2 class design was perfect at the start, the lack of roles (Tank,Healer,Etc) made the game great for Core content. Since the vast majority of the game was in fact open world, having everyone be able to solo and be self sustaining was THE perfect idea for their world.

It allowed anyone and everyone, to go forth and explore, as well as everyone to come together for world bosses and DE's.

It was absolute Perfect Class Design at the start of the game, too bad they went and messed with that and put in dedicated roles with HoT.

So, yah. It's a great cautionary tale of why game devs should not listening to the noisemakers.
    Octagon7711
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    edited December 2019

i played gw1 alot just because of diverserty of the pvp in that game.. many builds.. many group players..

Sadly GW2 took another direction.. pvp was solo based.. no group play involved or teamwork nothing..

I gave it fair shot @ the start... but it got boring very quickly..

GW1 was not an MMO. It was a CORPG. Also, the instances and art are dated now. Nothing wrong for it's time, but it is dated.

GW2 had to go different direction after WoW and others that came out.
    Aeander

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Its nice to see that 10 years later, people finally realize GW1 was better.
  • ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317
    Great article for people that are regular GW2 players.
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    Taking into account all the problems ArenaNet has had in recent months, part of me really wonders how much were you paid for this.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I left because it felt that half way through leveling, there was no real progression. The combat sequences as far as what abilities I would use and in what order was even worse than most game due to how repetitive it felt. The game just didn't have any soul to it, but I realize that is subjective and everyone is entitled to feel however they felt.
    bcbullyKyleran

There Is Always Hope!

• Redfeather75Redfeather75 Member UncommonPosts: 230

eoloe said:

Gw2 taught me distrust.

They WoWized their world in order to make more money and killed one of the best pvp game in the process.

I loved to hunt for elite skills by killing bosses. I loved to spend hours in high end PvE for cosmetic in order for my character to look good on GWTV.

I loved the hours spent to discuss and practice various strategies...

I loved to hold the Hall of Heroes...

Yes because in GW1, before twitch.tv existed, by the simple press of a button you could access the games conducted by the top 100 guilds. That was amazing.

I share you thoughts and feelings on the matter.
  • lordenki40lordenki40 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    GW2 was a huge part of my life for nearly six years. Ultimately they sought to bring in the huge wave of WoW refugees when they had a failed expansion a few years ago. They changed everything that made the game different to try to placate them. Then there was WvW which was amazing and struggled to live despite being chocked out constantly by Anet. WvW's anemic survival despite Dev's lack of caring was a way sadder story than Tybalt any day.
    Ungood
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited December 2019
    Most of the "features" the OP touted as benefits were banes to my way of thinking, truly a game where everyone wins a prize, and no one ever suffers or loses.

Thank you, but no, not for me.

UngoodAeander

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• lothariclotharic Member UncommonPosts: 34
    edited December 2019
    I remember asking multiple times for mounts, because running over those giant empty zones sucked, only to be told "it's not in the lore."

Then they eventually added mounts in an xpac. If that's not an eff-you to players, I'm not sure what is.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    I love GW2. But I also think it sits in a niche. It is popular, but it is popular like Dark Souls. Not for the difficulty, but people either love it , or they hate it (in GW2's case for different reasons).

I think SWTOR and ESO are more easy to get into compared to GW2.

What I love about GW2 are the mounts and how the game uses them, dynamic events (metas can be awesome), QoL improvements compared to other themepark MMO's (most unlocks are account wide) and its combat.

What I think is very convoluted in this game, is crafting, itemization and direction. I am convinced these things put many players off. It is as if itemization in this game is developed by a tax official. The game heavily depends on your wikifu. This is also very apparent with the community in the game. While in SWTOR or ESO your questions about items/mechanics get answered in chat, in GW2 they even get pissed and at most type /wiki.

If it comes to asking for help with any content in GW2 though, GW2 players tend to be very helpful. It is also fun to see during big events that so many players try to res other players.

As for impact on other games. Just like with the article about ESO, there are no other big MMORPG's that released afterwards to have impact on.
    Ungood
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Not a very good MMORPG  , the only impact it had was setting the genre back , fortunatley the genre is getting back to its roots while GW2 will shutter before long imo ...
    Aeander
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    edited January 2020
    Look at the fanboys wtf'ing everything critical lol. Loved it at first, mainly WvW. It was neglected so long though just withered away.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • residentxresidentx Member UncommonPosts: 123
    The best thing to come out of GW2 was the character and outfit customization options. It's crazy to think nobody has copied or improved on it 7 years later.

It's the only game I've played where you could really make a character your own and not feel like a copy paste of everyone else.

Want to dress up for a White Christmas? No problem. You can dye everything on your armor and find weapons to match. Almost any style (except the classic robed wizard for some reason) is achievable.

This was the most amazing thing about GW2. I felt like I had found a replacement for City of Heroes. I spent the first afternoon just shaping my women players. The hair, the lips, the outfits...so much fun!