Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon Dev Team Looks Ahead To 2020 With New Producer's Letter - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imagePantheon Dev Team Looks Ahead To 2020 With New Producer's Letter - MMORPG.com

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen has had a year. The highly anticipated MMO has been trucking along this year, with livestreams and blog updates to keep the user base who are looking forward to the game informed. Recently the team released a final Producer's Letter for 2019 looking back on the year as well as ahead to 2020.

Read the full story here

Comments

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    So we're looking at a 2030 release?
    elfdragon21LeFantomeGameboyMarc[Deleted User]TokkenNextrixPowerBottom
  • GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    Recent 2 hour stream was done looks nice except combat a bit slow/clunky.
    Thupli

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Seeing Brad's character Aradune makes me sad. But I am glad for the letter.
    ThupliKumaponNextrixneutrinoide

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    I predict new GOTY 2042.
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    edited December 2019
    Man everything moves at such a snails pace i think mmorpgs should go down in scale initially and move up in scale through dlc, that way we are playing shit. Waiting a decade from announcement is ridiculous.

Perfect example is L2 when the game launched max level was 30.
    Post edited by Groqstrong on
    TokkenGdemamiAsheram
  • SephrosSephros Member UncommonPosts: 429
    "First and foremost, we take aim at Pre-Alpha 5. This is the major Pre-Alpha session before we move toward Alpha proper."

"The passing of Brad McQuaid in November was a tragic blow for us all. But, as Brad wanted, Pantheon’s team steadfastly marches on. "

Burn in hell. The most major thing to happen to your company makes the bottom of the update. No morals, no buy. Like it or not, it was a lot if not all of Brad's vision that got you all here. I'm sure a lot of people poured blood sweat and tears, but he dies and is not top billing for your update. Screw off
    GdemamimmolouLackingMMOThupliKyleran[Deleted User]

Error: No Keyboard Detected!
    Press F1 to continue......

• urinal_gooseurinal_goose Member UncommonPosts: 89

Sephros said:

"First and foremost, we take aim at Pre-Alpha 5. This is the major Pre-Alpha session before we move toward Alpha proper."

"The passing of Brad McQuaid in November was a tragic blow for us all. But, as Brad wanted, Pantheon’s team steadfastly marches on. "

Burn in hell. The most major thing to happen to your company makes the bottom of the update. No morals, no buy. Like it or not, it was a lot if not all of Brad's vision that got you all here. I'm sure a lot of people poured blood sweat and tears, but he dies and is not top billing for your update. Screw off

They already addressed it when he died. Calm your tits, have a drink maybe.
    [Deleted User]mmoloudragonlee66elockeLeFantomeThupliKyleran
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    How do you have 296 builds in a month? That's like 10 per day. That doesn't sound very efficient.
    elocke
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Arkade99 said:
    How do you have 296 builds in a month? That's like 10 per day. That doesn't sound very efficient.
    Different programmers independently commit some small change that they've been working on individually and test to see if the game still builds, plus a little bit of testing to verify that the change he just made actually works right.  This isn't 296 builds that were all released to backers or even run by anyone other than the person who just committed some minor bug fix or whatever.
    elockeThupliRaagnarz
  • LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    The combat looks so slow and clunky, that is not a game for 2020ies, unfortunatly
    kertinelocke

• kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Lonzo said:
    The combat looks so slow and clunky, that is not a game for 2020ies, unfortunatly
    absolutely and don't even listen to those defending it like: hey it's not even proper alpha yet just wait for release...no no no, it might slighty change but it's definitely going to be super slow a clunky
    elocke
  • Dave49424Dave49424 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    This game was never intended to be a 'twitchy finger' style of game. There are many different styles of valid gameplay that if you want a fast paced game you might want to look towards the MMO action rpg arena. This style of gamey is intended to be slower paced to allow both more strategic response based actions as well as account for a variety of ping rates hitting the server.

The game was never intended to appeal to everyone, but for those it does appeal to.. we are anxiously looking forward to playing in this world.
    [Deleted User]elockeLackingMMOThupli
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

Man everything moves at such a snails pace i think mmorpgs should go down in scale initially and move up in scale through dlc, that way we are playing shit. Waiting a decade from announcement is ridiculous.

i wouldnt mind a systme like that to be fair , its a good way to see if the game works or not.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Sephros said:

They had an entire video sendoff as well as mentioning him in in other updates/videos. I think you can cut them some slack. I mean, it was their colleague and friend who died. I'm sure they are feeling it more than others.

Unless you are trying to intimate that you were a close friend to him, in which case "sorry for your loss."
    Thupli
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

...welcome to world of software/game development.

It has always been slow, you just happen to be provided with much earlier and more information with crowdfunded projects(and in general).

Do you mean the same L2 that failed horribly on western market?

Or Anthem that launched with little content so that more will be added later?

That probably worked in early days when there weren't dozens of products with years of maturing under their belt you had to compete on the market against but today, it is rather a commercial suicide.
    Sovrath
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Mensur said:

another crowdfunding scam

Mindless comment right there. I for one can't wait for this game to be released!
    Indeed such as "I just want more quests" or maybe "more classes".

There is nothing wrong with being "sceptical" about whether the - relatively small number of crowd funded "mmo type" games will launch etc. but that doesn't mean they are scams. To much negativity - sometimes resulting in to much "ardent defence" surrounds far to many of them.

I hope they all release. Suspect some won't but as the saying goes: hope springs eternal.
  • quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234

Sephros said:

Ok first off they covered that in the last stream so yeaaaa
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    cloudacv said:
    kertin said:
    cloudacv said:
    kertin said:

another crowdfunding scam

finally someone who knows, huge clap for you because boomers here are so blind, they just helps to fund any stupid game in progress :D aand that's why there are many crowdfunded MMORPG's, easy money for giving "hope" to boomers. There is no need to make new proper MMORPG again, these fools will pay for anything, sad reality

you can’t even type a proper sentence without any run ons yet you laugh at boomers. Ok genius. 
    It's not excuse but English is my 3rd language, so yeah i know i do lots of mistakes but i believe it's somehow readable...and you're right i'm actually genius when it comes to predicting future successful games
    I was being sarcastic. You’re one of those people that make “boomer” jokes because you lack intellectual capacity. You obviously know nothing about “boomers”. You’re probably 18 years old and I doubt many of the people using this site are baby boomers. You do understand how old you need to be in order to be a baby boomer right? 
    Ahem.....

Honestly age has nothing to do with anything other than learning over several years.
    You can however be smart enough to decipher games and their design structure within but 5 years of steady gaming.
    So happens when i was young i actually had more interest in the engines than the actual gaming.

EQ1 came about 1999,so yeah you don't need to be a bay boomer to recognize the several layers of game design over the past 20- years.

I will repeat,EQ1 is NOT good enough right now,it is a game that played out it's course,surpassed already in 2002 by FFXI and now 20 years later we have way more resources and knowledge to make a 10x better game.
    I don't want "nostalgia" i want a HQ game that i actually want to dive into for MANY years,not 3 months or 1 year but many.The reason i never figured this game to come out as a AAA game is because they simply don't have the resources to pull it off.I am also not sold they even have the creativity to think outside the EQ1 box without getting right back into another EQ2/Wow clone.

Hey prove me wrong,i would absolutely love to support this game for the next 10 years if it comes out as a really good game.

When i login to a new game i want to see character customization that is NOT abotu sliders and tattoos.I want to enter the world and NOT see standing npc's with markers over their heads.I want systems to be DEEP,not a simple mission or quest then your given xp or some loot.I have seen bits and pieces of good things throughout the EQ1/2 universes,i see potential but after 20 years i still only see potential with no improvements.

Let's wait and see,right now this is all conjecture by ALL OF US.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GitmoGitmo Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Im playing entropia. Its very hard, just waiting for beta to start here
  • LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    edited December 2019
    Dont get me wrong I am an EQ-fan too, but you cant just copy the EQ combat from two decades ago and hope that all the old EQ players will love it. The times have changed, they wont lile it, they have to adapt and at least come with good combat animations to succeed.

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    To all those who say the combat in pahtheon is slow and no one will play. Look at final fantasy arr. It's doijg pretty good and it's combat is slow and clunky.

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Mensur said:
    It's doijg pretty good
    ...is it?
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Gdemami said:
    Mensur said:
    It's doijg pretty good
    ...is it?
    It isn’t?

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Kyleran
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• TeakStrangiatoTeakStrangiato Member UncommonPosts: 34

Lonzo said:

What does slow combat have anything to do with it being a game for '2020ies'?
    That's as dumb as saying 'a subscription model wont work in todays market' or 'tab target wont work in todays market'. Yet FFXIV is the most successful MMORPG of the last decade (and its not just the IP...both the initial launch of FFXIV and SWTOR have shown that IP alone does not make a hit MMORPG)

GdemamiKyleran
  • ManifestFXManifestFX Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    I want to be behind it but in its current state I cannot back this game. We need an MMO similar to EQ with dungeon crawling, sandbox, crafting, etc. Not race for this race for that then wait until next patch or expansion.