Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nvidia Claims Next Gen Consoles Slower Than Current Max-Q RTX Laptops - MMORPG.com News

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageNvidia Claims Next Gen Consoles Slower Than Current Max-Q RTX Laptops - MMORPG.com News

According to Nvidia boss Jen-Hsun Huang, next gen consoles are slower than current generation Max-Q laptops.

Read the full story here

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ShadowStyleBShadowStyleB Member UncommonPosts: 315

And the grass is green....it's a price point thing, it isn't freezable to put 1500 worth of components in a 500.00 console, as it is PS5 is projected to lose money in it's first year.

Actually it is about neither console using NVIDIA in their machines. Just some salt.
    Solar_Prophet[Deleted User]SeelinnikoirojoArcueidQuizzicalIselin[Deleted User]PhaserlightFolmenPsYcHoGBRand 9 others.

"You think this "A" stands for France?" Captain America

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

And the grass is green....it's a price point thing, it isn't freezable to put 1500 worth of components in a 500.00 console, as it is PS5 is projected to lose money in it's first year.

Actually it is about neither console using NVIDIA in their machines. Just some salt.

A business saying that their product is better than competitor's product isn't being salty. They should never be trusted, but a seller telling how his product is better than competitors' isn't being salty.
    Pingu2012FolmenPanzerbeorne39wonkerz

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360

Vrika said:

A business saying that their product is better than competitor's product isn't being salty. They should never be trusted, but a seller telling how his product is better than competitors' isn't being salty.

Its not being salty, its being bulshitter.
    ShadowStyleBFolmenPanzerbeorne39Vrika
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    My GeForce video card paired with my Nivida Shield is the best gaming options and quality I have had gaming. Also saves me ton of money. I shop where I can get the best price for what every company I want and play it on my GeForce desktop or stream it to my Shield /tv. Only way to game IMO.
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    "The RTX 2060 variant is $2,000, but it'll cost you an extra $850 to get the RTX 2080 Max-Q. "

I would hope that a $2850 laptop is faster than a $600 console.
    QuizzicalAzaron_NightbladeFolmenklash2defRueTheWhirljdnewellMrOfficerOzmodanThupliKyutaSyukoand 1 other.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited December 2019
    he jelly Sony and MS always choose AMD. If NVIDIA wasn't so greedy they would have a chance at working with consoles. Sure they worked with Nintendo on the Switch... with a tablet chip. If they wanted to have all consoles using tablet chips then i'm glad they went with AMD again.

It's about keeping the consoles as low cost as possible while squeezing as much power as they can from that small budget. Jen Hsun doesn't see that, he is too greedy.
    Ozmodan

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    he jelly Sony and MS always choose AMD. If NVIDIA wasn't so greedy they would have a chance at working with consoles. Sure they worked with Nintendo on the Switch... with a tablet chip. If they wanted to have all consoles using tablet chips then i'm glad they went with AMD again.

It's about keeping the consoles as low cost as possible while squeezing as much power as they can from that small budget. Jen Hsun doesn't see that, he is too greedy.
    well, it's always nice to have an extra heater in your living room i guess ;)
    rojoArcueidGladDogFolmen

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

edited December 2019
    Vrika said:

I think he is being salty. He isn't comparing his product to his competitor, He is comparing his GPU to a console which is a complete machine, not just a GPU. If he wanted to say what you described, he would have stated that the Switch is the better console because it has an NVIDIA chip. His statement doesn't make much sense other than he is salty.

Of course that's just how i see it.
    ShadowStyleBGladDogGdemami

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Sounds like sour grapes given that next-gen consoles are going to be powered by AMD.
    rojoArcueidPsYcHoGBRdragonlee66SeelinnikoiOzmodan
    edited December 2019
    Thane said:

well, it's always nice to have an extra heater in your living room i guess ;)

I can agree with that since even on NVIDIA gpus (not just my old AMD) my room can get hot with my PC turned on long enough, but my PS4 stand has 2 fans so it doesn't get hot enough to act as a second heater lol.
    Gdemami

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited December 2019
    Image result for emoji jealous

Nvidia's expression
    PhaserlightFolmenSeelinnikoicheyane

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Depending on which laptop you're comparing it to, his claims that the Nvidia-based laptop is faster than the next generation consoles will be might not even be true.  It depends on how much silicon area Microsoft and Sony are willing to pay for and how much power they're willing to burn, but it wouldn't be surprising at all if the PS5 or Xbox Series Ridiculous Name offer performance that beats a gaming laptop with a 6-core CPU and a GeForce RTX 2060 Max-Q.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Consoles slower than high end computers, more at 11!
    Ozmodan
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

I think AMD is getting the consoles because they can offer a package with good CPU and good integrated GPU. It's not about NVidia being greedy, it's about AMD having the best product.
    ShadowStyleBSlyLoKcheebaSeelinnikoiPanzerbeorne39OzmodanThupli

• Spriggen1337Spriggen1337 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    this is just a jab at AMD since they are making the the chipsets, if you are gonna compare the price vs performance then the next gen console wins every time since u are getting a complete system for under $1000 that dictates the flow of gaming companies moving forward 2080's in the consumer systems are gonna have a lower market share when compared to consumers owning ps5 or xbox series x (XboxX?)..... only thing u would need a 2080 for in the real consumer world is 4k gaming and even then thats overrated all u need is 1080p and 120+ hz and you can get this comfortably on a 2070!
    ultimateduckcheebaSeelinnikoiGdemami
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Every Max Q version ( nerfed badly ) of laptop I've used has been a disappointment.

So I doubt this claim.
    OzmodanThupli
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    Consoles are designed for one thing, playing games. It's much easier to make games when every person playing that game is playing on a rig with the exact same specs, such as a console. Because of how consoles are designed, they can get away with lower spec hardware.

PC gaming is more work, and more expensive overall, but it's more satisfying and, for me at least, more comfortable. You don't have to set up a PC game so it can function using 10 buttons and a joystick, so it can have more depth and customization. At the end of the day, if gaming is your thing, PC gaming is better if you have the money to put into it.

Of course, a PC can also be used for more than just gaming and has much better VR.
    Mackaveli44Ozmodan
    Vrika said:

I think AMD is getting the consoles because they can offer a package with good CPU and good integrated GPU. It's not about NVidia being greedy, it's about AMD having the best product.
    I'd argue that it is at least partially about Nvidia getting greedy.  Today, AMD can offer a clear upgrade path to the Xbox One and PS4 and Nvidia can't.  But when Microsoft and Sony were choosing hardware for the Xbox One and PS4, AMD didn't have a clearly superior product.

But it's not about Nvidia getting greedy today, or even in 2013.  It goes further back than that.  Ordinarily, every two years or so after releasing a console, for as long as the company wants to actively sell a lot more of that console, the console vendor wants to do a die shrink.  That brings down the cost of production, as well as the power consumption.  Reduced power consumption can in turn bring down the noise level and physical size of the console.

If you buy a custom chip for a console, then it takes some further custom work to do the die shrink.  At that point, you have vendor lock-in, as there's only one company you can go to in order to request a custom die shrink of a previously created custom chip.  And when you have vendor lock-in like that, you have to do whatever it takes to get the company to do what you want or else do without the die shrink.

Vendor lock-in is pretty much always a bad thing if you're the customer.  But being tied to some vendors is much worse than others.  AMD has a reputation to defend for offering quality products at fair prices.  Nvidia does not.  Nvidia has a reputation to defend for offering some very good products, but not necessarily at prices you'll find agreeable.

When I mention Nvidia charging high prices, some people might think of $1200 for a GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, or even $2500 for a GeForce Titan RTX.  But those aren't even a good example of what I mean.

Rather, look at their Tesla cards for compute.  Nvidia created CUDA for the express purpose of having vendor lock-in.  It's actually remarkably awful as a GPU-programming API goes.  But Nvidia has offered a bunch of free training and paid people to write a bunch of code in CUDA, so they got a lot of people to use CUDA.  During the Kepler generation, their top of the line Tesla card for compute was a Tesla K40 for $4000.  Once they had a lot of people using it, though, they subsequently charged $6000 for a Tesla P100 and then $9000 for a Tesla V100.  And for good measure, they also changed their licensing agreement to make it illegal to use those cheap $1200 GeForce cards instead of the $9000 server cards, at least if you need more than a few of them.

Even if vendor lock-in for a custom console chip is unavoidable, you really, really don't want to be locked to buying from Nvidia.  They'll charge whatever the market will bear in the short-run, without any consideration for their long-term reputation.  And in the case of vendor-lock in for a part that you have to pay for, that's going to be quite a lot and make it very difficult for you to make a profit on your console.  Microsoft learned this the hard way way back with the original Xbox.  Sony made that mistake with the PlayStation 3.  Neither company wants anything to do with Nvidia today, at least for game consoles.  

So why did Nintendo go with Nvidia for the Switch?  Most game consoles have used custom chips, as there are a lot of advantages to having a custom chip where you can add absolutely anything you want.  But paying Nvidia to make a custom chip for you is basically a death wish, so Nintendo didn't do that.  Rather, they used a completely off the shelf Tegra chip, with the plan that they can later upgrade to some future, completely off the shelf Tegra chip.  Or possibly even to a GPU from some other mobile vendor if Nvidia wants to play hardball on pricing, as plenty of other companies can use the same ARM cores as Nvidia.

You can use such off the shelf parts for relatively low performance chips.  But the highest performance integrated GPU that you can get in such off the shelf parts isn't necessarily even faster than the Xbox One from 2014, so you can't do that for high end consoles.  For that, you're going to have to get something custom.  And given their history, it's very plausible that Microsoft and Sony would dismiss Nvidia out of hand even if they clearly had the best product to offer.  Apple has been doing exactly that for a number of years now.
    GladDogultimateduckSeelinnikoiTacticalZombehThupliShadowStyleBGdemami
    Consoles are designed for one thing, playing games. It's much easier to make games when every person playing that game is playing on a rig with the exact same specs, such as a console. Because of how consoles are designed, they can get away with lower spec hardware.

PC gaming is more work, and more expensive overall, but it's more satisfying and, for me at least, more comfortable. You don't have to set up a PC game so it can function using 10 buttons and a joystick, so it can have more depth and customization. At the end of the day, if gaming is your thing, PC gaming is better if you have the money to put into it.

Of course, a PC can also be used for more than just gaming and has much better VR.
    There would be $1000 game consoles with specs comparable to a high-end gaming desktop if there were much of a market for them.  The failure of the 3DO and NeoGeo have generally led people to believe that there isn't.
    Gdemami
    SlyLoK said:
    Every Max Q version ( nerfed badly ) of laptop I've used has been a disappointment.

So I doubt this claim.
    Is that all zero of them, or all one of them?  The Max-Q branding hasn't been around for very long.
    mmolou
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    well no kidding a 2000$ laptop will be stronger. for 1500ish less I can come close to its power and not break the bank. 5 years ago I was a die hard PC gamer. this last year or so ive slowly made the switch over to consoles. Buy it, and you are set for the next 5-6 years.
    [Deleted User]newbismx
  • newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    I dont care-

I play games for the games and honestly the graphics have been fantastic for over a decade- I grew up playing text games.

PS5 will be a quick purchase for me- The exclusives will (in all probability) be phenomenal as always.

• GodeauGodeau Member UncommonPosts: 84
    ..and? How does this affect the average user? Most people i know either buy consoles because their pricing falls in line with their wallet, or they buy consoles according to the exclusives that they intend to play

newbismx[Deleted User]ultimateduck
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다