Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Impact of Guild Wars 2 - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Impact of Guild Wars 2 - MMORPG.com

As we transition into the 2020s, we're taking a look back at some of the more popular MMOs of the 2010s. Join Robin as she explores the impact of Guild Wars 2.

Read the full story here

Comments

• boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    Sadly I got bored of GW2 very quickly. Tried to come back a few times but the game always felt so hollow and shallow to me. I just couldnt dig myself into the game. But with that said I never got involved with an end game Pvp guild. So i never really witnessed the rvr battle areas the game offers. I havent found a game since Warhammer that enjoyed Rvr, and I have even tried ESO.
    Hiromantseraphis79ThupliElquinaustinmaw
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855
    The lasting impact and legacy of Guild Wars 2? Hype is a hell of a drug, but the high very quickly wears off.
    RoinbcbullyRich84ThupliElquin
  • fuzzi1983fuzzi1983 Member UncommonPosts: 142
    PVP...all they had to do is one update to pvp and I would of stayed
    Viper482
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    i played gw1 alot just because of diverserty of the pvp in that game.. many builds.. many group players..

Sadly GW2 took another direction.. pvp was solo based.. no group play involved or teamwork nothing..

I gave it fair shot @ the start... but it got boring very quickly..
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited December 2019
    "You're playing it wrong"
           --GW2 White Knights
    KyleranRoin[Deleted User]bcbullyRich84Robsolf
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Guild Wars 2 got some things right in a big way:

Dynamic content

Friendly community facilitated by game design (personal loot and resource nodes, soft grouping, shared mob tagging, shared contribution to events, etc.) I actually do not want to play another MMO that does not have these things.

Ensuring that all content is valid through level downscaling and reward upscaling.

Visual customization is through the roof (despite the unfortunate lack of weapon dyes). 

Though to me, it's unfortunate legacy lies in proving that buildcrafting depth is dead and open worlds rarely improve game design. 

Unbino
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited December 2019
    What I liked about GW2 is that I could log on and do whatever I wanted. There was no falling behind. You hit max so fast and afterward levels didn't matter.
    Unbino

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    GW2 was always the McDonalds of the gaming industry, something easy and reliable to grab when you weren't sure of the other options around you.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• retiredmjretiredmj Member UncommonPosts: 160

Personally never really seen any game takes bits from GW2 , so I'm not sure if GW 2 had any impact on game design. If anything, it took from other mmos bits like Rift real time events, and Lineage 2 world boss system.

Linear combat is something that ESO and now even WoW has taken from GW2. Also World bosses were a thing LONG before L2 hell they were a thing before L1
    [Deleted User]ThupliElquin
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    GW2 was a great cautionary tale of how not to develop a game by the seat of your pants and giving into whatever the noisemakers tell you to do.

KyleranThupliCitizenX007Elquinmomintim
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:
    GW2 was a great cautionary tale of how not to develop a game by the seat of your pants and giving into whatever the noisemakers tell you to do.

You know, I think you're misdiagnosing the problem because of personal projection.

It took them years to reach a steady content cadence that was both feasible to develop and acceptable to the community.

Season 1's "every 2 weeks" content cadence was completely unsustainable, hell on the developers, and resulted in wildly inconsistent content quality. It produced some memorably positive updates (Tower of Nightmares, Zephyr Sanctum, Queen's Jubilee, Battle of Lion's Arch), but mostly fell into unsatisfactory updates. Plus, the entire thing suffered from the misguided concept of temporary content. Why did anyone think this was a good idea?

Season 2 was a transitionary period, and it was clear that the live game's update cadence was suffering due to the in-development expansion. They couldn't even provide time tables for most of these patches. And frankly, the new maps that arose from this weren't great and had no longevity outside of the resources exclusive to them. These maps don't even function properly anymore due to lack of players.

And then it didn't help that Heart of Thorns wasn't a great expansion. It had a lot of welcome features, but it was content lite, the maps sucked, and all of it felt alienating.

Season 3 was when they hit their stride. Entire maps every few months with new story. And then they'd have a new (much better) expansion in 2 years time to reinvigorate the community at large.

Season 4 should have been more of the same, but I think Season 3 and Path of Fire were basically too late. The damage is done. 

But my assertion is this. Season 3, Season 4, and Path of Fire represent the content cadence the game always should have had. And if the game had always maintained that 3-4 month new map cadence, perhaps people wouldn't have been complaining about the lack of endgame in the first place.
  • eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
    Gw2 taught me distrust.

They WoWized their world in order to make more money and killed one of the best pvp game in the process.

I loved to hunt for elite skills by killing bosses. I loved to spend hours in high end PvE for cosmetic in order for my character to look good on GWTV.

I loved the hours spent to discuss and practice various strategies...

I loved to hold the Hall of Heroes...

Yes because in GW1, before twitch.tv existed, by the simple press of a button you could access the games conducted by the top 100 guilds. That was amazing.
    Aeanderangrund0nRedfeather75
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Ungood said:

No, sorry. They just promised a bunch and didn't deliver. There is nothing wrong with GW2. It is what it is.

A.Net put the info out, it was the game players that hyped the heck out of it.
    bcbully

eoloe said:
    Gw2 taught me distrust.

They WoWized their world in order to make more money and killed one of the best pvp game in the process.

I loved to hunt for elite skills by killing bosses. I loved to spend hours in high end PvE for cosmetic in order for my character to look good on GWTV.

I loved the hours spent to discuss and practice various strategies...

I loved to hold the Hall of Heroes...

Yes because in GW1, before twitch.tv existed, by the simple press of a button you could access the games conducted by the top 100 guilds. That was amazing.
    GW1 was so much more than a PvP game.

The PvE side was just as amazing. It offered Normal and Hard versions of everything. It offered challenges not possible in an open world, such as Vanquishing. It used instances to make teams adapt to all potential enemies before entering a zone. It offered the best horizontal progression with its cosmetics and skill hunting.
    Redfeather75
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited December 2019
    I think Anet threw the baby out with the bathwater. Instead of taking what worked and improved on it. They focused far too much on re inventing the wheel. It was far more important to develop "Not-WoW Online" that it was to develop GW2.

That and their "Manifesto" They made all these promises and half-assedly delivered on them.
    That manifesto was little more than a Sales 101 Features / Benefits analysis.
    Here's the feature and the benefit to you is....

They made sure the features were technically in the game, but the benefits they were supposed to create didn't work as intended, or if they did, they also introduced their own set of issues along with it.

Innovation is needed to overcome hard-stops. Innovation for it's own sake brought little to the table except another "also-ran"

I mean, sure GW2 is a fun game. I had lots of fun with it on and off over the years, but it was nothing that revolutionized the genre.
    Redfeather75
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    Amathe said:
    What I liked about GW2 is that I could log on and do whatever I wanted. There was no falling behind. You hit max so fast and afterward levels didn't matter.
    and i think thats what made me lose interest. max level, little further progression to make, left me feeling no reason to play. The gameplay was not enough to keep me around. It felt like a MMO lite as far as character progression went. 
    Kyleran
    edited December 2019
    I think Anet threw the baby out with the bathwater. Instead of taking what worked and improved on it. They focused far too much on re inventing the wheel. It was far more important to be "Not-WoW Online" that it was to be GW2.

That and their "Manifesto" They made all these promises and half-assedly delivered on them.
    That manifesto was little more than a Sales 101 Features / Benefits analysis.
    Here's the feature and the benefit to you is....

They made sure the features were technically in the game, but the benefits they were supposed to create didn't work as intended, or if they did, they also introduced their own set of issues along with it.

Innovation is needed to overcome hard-stops. Innovation for it's own sake brought little to the table except another "also-ran"

I mean, sure GW2 is a fun game. I had lots of fun with it on and off over the years, but it was nothing that revolutionized the genre.
    Everyone loves to knock on the manifesto trailer, so I thought it would be interesting to do a point by point on every promise made in the trailer, with no pre-conceived conclusion on my part.

With that in mind, interpreting the Guild Wars 2 manifesto involves understanding that the two main voices, Colin and Ree, are talking about two separate parts of the game. Everything Colin says is meant to apply to the greater open world. Everything Ree says is meant to apply to the game's personal story and narrative.

1. Everything you loved about Guild Wars 1 in a persistent world. 

Yeah..... no. Everything that made Guild Wars 1 the game it was is not possible in a persistent world.

2. More active combat

From a mechanical standpoint, yes. From an intellectual standpoint, no.

And very little content actually tests your mastery of said combat. Though in fairness, this might not actually be Arenanet's fault. The game as a whole was much more difficult in CBT1, and it was made far easier after a vocal segment of the community cried about it.

3. Fully branching personalized storyline

Yes and no. The storyline is essentially a funnel. It starts out fully branching and becomes less so as it progresses. I'm actually going to call this one delivered, at least to the extent that integrity is concerned. It's clear to me that they intended to deliver on this feature, but that said feature directly reduced that quality of the game's writing and made delivering on a satisfying overall narrative implausible.

Basically, this was a good idea on paper that was a bad idea in practice. They would have had to entirely focus on this one thing to the expense of everything else to maintain it, and the game would be worse for it.

4. A new event system to get people playing together

Yes.

5. No monthly fees

Yes.

6. The look of Guild Wars 2 is stylized. We're going for a painterly, illustrated aesthetic. Everything in our world feels hand-crafted and artisanal. We treat our environments as if they are characters themselves.

Art is subjective. But YES.

7. Most games, you have fun tasks that you get to occasionally do, and the rest of the game is this boring grind to get to the fun stuff. I swung a sword, I swung it again. Hey, I swung it again!

I suppose this depends on what you consider "the fun stuff." If you consider the open world content and dynamic events to be "the fun stuff," then they absolutely, 100% delivered. This is the camp I fall in. So to me, yes, the game fulfilled this promise.

If you consider dungeons, fractals, and raids to be the fun stuff, then they did not deliver. 

8. We don't want our players to grind in Guild Wars 2.

Is optional grind still grind? That's the question. I find that the game currently leans too heavily on optional grinds, and it has a multiplicative effect. The more simultaneous objectives you set for yourself, the worse it becomes.

I think the problem is largely that they are afraid of rare mob drops (with the exception of precursors, which are far TOO rare). Almost every valuable item is based around grinding excessive amounts of materials, which is neither fun nor exciting. And I can personally say that every time I finished a legendary, I didn't feel excited or fulfilled; I felt exhausted.

9. Everyone is doing the same thing you are doing, the boss you just killed respawns 10 minutes later.

Well, I suppose a few hours isn't 10 minutes. LOL.

10. You get quest text that tells you "I'm being attacked by these horrible things and it's not actually happening. We don't think that's okay.

Well, dynamic events certainly make the game feel more alive. But then they caved to players asking for direction and added renown hearts, which actively make the game look less dynamic and lively than it actually is. And that's a problem. 

11. In Guild Wars 2, it's your world and your story. You effect things around you in a very permanent way.

Remember that Ree's lines only apply to the personal story. It would be extremely impressive if they applied to the open world, but that wasn't the intention of the manifesto, and I think this is where the single largest misconception with the trailer is.

12. Cause and effect. A single decision made by a player cascades out.

This refers to dynamic events. Problem is, it's actually false. Dynamic events chain and cascade out, by they don't really involve decisions other than "do or don't." There are no branching paths.

If this were a Ree line, this would actually be correct... sort of. Personal story is lumped into a few archs and decisions made within that arch cascade out for the following chapters of that arch.

But because this line is coming from Colin Johanson, it's false.

13. You're meeting people who you will then see again.

Yes. This is a Ree line. The personal story is full of recurring characters (even obscure ones from early chapters). 

14. You're rescuing a village who will stay rescued and will then remember you.

Yes. This is a Ree line. And in a literal sense, this happens with the Quaggan, Skritt, Ogre, or Hylek villages in the personal story.
    Post edited by Aeander on
    Arlee
  • AenghasAenghas Member UncommonPosts: 116
    I hope another game picks up GW2's attempt at horizontal progression and does better with it. I'd like to see it leave a legacy.

The crafting system was a let down. I assume the level requirements for crafted objects reflected the game design earlier on in GW2's lifespan? I came to it late and leveling crafting was grindy....my level was permanently ahead of my crafting and I had far better drops from adventuring anyway. Crafting felt really unnecessary outside of occassionally helping me min/max a tiny bit.

The game did a great job with being flexible around class fantasy and abilities though. Having the options to be things like a tanky caster or melee as a traditionally ranged class was a breath of fresh air. Sadly community and meta's will always get in the way of real freedom but when just playing alone doing my own thing the options were excellent.
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    Gw2 is still my favorite mmo of all time, due too the share amount of hours Ive put into it throughout the years. Ive played almost every mmo you can think of including some very obscure mmos with very small populations.

Gw2 is a fine game. I love the freedom of the combat system and movement. The story is decent and many of the games environments are beautiful and diverse.

I love doing dungeons and fractals either solo or duo. The raids are well done, spvp can be a cluster fuck sometimes, but once you understand everything its pretty fun and very intense. WvW is still fun to jump into once youve figured everything out and know when to back away from a fight and when to charge forward. Solo roaming can be intense. Alwhile with no sub fee or a real need to spend any kind of money outside of the expansions.

I dont think its perfect, far from it. But its no where near bad. Its in the middle. Ive played way worse. Im sure most people here have.
    ArleeThupli

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    GW2 to me as it's main pillars is a game without never ending power progression, a game with a focus on a world that is more then just a sightseeing tour while leveling, a 'dynamic' living world as they say.. and lastly a 'grief free' experience at least incentivized by design, such as no mob tagging personalized resource nodes and the overall cooperative design of events.

While some games may have due to GW2s existence adopted some minor qualities none of those pillars exist full out in any other mmo I'm aware of.

As an overall design vision, it feels like an evolutionary dead end. Everquest next seemed to be taking atleast some of GW2's vision forward but that didn't pan out.

Which to me is saddening, i really loved GW2 perhaps more so of the design vision then actual game itself, I played it more or less with the same vigor I did my first mmo vanilla wow for it's first two years. However I knew it also contained many (from my pov) faults and I always saw it as a step in the right direction, a prototype for what I imagined truly next gen mmo's could be not the final MMO. But here we are 7 years later and MMO's are for the most part just raiding simulators or asian p2w gankfests with nothing really on the horizon.
  • QQMorePleaseQQMorePlease Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Sorry to say that Guild Wars 2 < Guild Wars 1 in almost every way aside from graphics, obviously.

Shallow game play, no team work required, 4 years in for GvG and its garbage.
  • Tykam123Tykam123 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    edited December 2019
    I don't know exactly why, but Guild Wars 2 was never a very good mmo to me. The class design was always incredible, and I loved the mesmer, but that's about where it ended for my experience. The events never really felt alive, and they felt like stale grindy nuisances that repeated. I found the hearts to be incredibly grindy, even more so than quests.

I actually was hyped for GW2 to try something other than quests, but sadly the lack of quests made the world feel empty and dull to me. Even with generic quest text, it can sometimes bring the world alive. GW2 story always felt far and few between while leveling. Zones meshed, and I just really could never get over the emptiness I felt while playing. I have a few friends who play MMOs, but have never tried GW2. For whatever reason, GW2 seems to have it's own community, and it rarely spills into the mainstream other than this site. In my opinion, GW2 has not left much of a legacy, but I am super happy for all of the people that love this game and are addicted to it. I always hope we can keep as many MMO worlds alive as possible.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    IT HAS BEEN ALMOST 10 F**KING YEARS SINCE GUILD WARS 2 WAS MAHE F**KING GUILD WARS 3!
    QQMorePlease
  • VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246
    A perplexing experiment of a game. On the one hand one of the most beautiful games and smoothest engines ever made imo. On the other, one of the least satisfying grinds of any mmorpg since there's no real feeling of a point to any of it. With every other game that flooded that market at the time it was an admirable attempt to do something different. However, even the most beautiful smooth pencil without lead is pointless.
  • fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Would have been great despite its shortcomings, such as the lack of trinity, if only they had the investment and dev team to back it up. Lack of iteration on so much of its content including dungeons, PvP and WvWvW really is what killed it. Half-baked content, like the fractal system and its "raids" were the nails in the coffin.