Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Play a fire mage

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

What ?..... Hold on I'll explain 

Trinity systems are out the door. Class rolls don't matter anymore. If you want to group it's simply for fun or getting friends together, otherwise you'll be solo. 

With that being said,

-Why play a rogue or an assassin wasting your time sneaking up on a mob.  It's like sneaking up on a two month infant to take his/her bottle…. may as well walk up and take it if your that rude. 

-Why play a tank when theirs no calling for it.  Gathering up a pile of monsters wearing plate to protect your group is a thing of the past.  Since you don't put out damage, you may have to swing twice.  Going into a dungeon is like walking into a six year old's birthday party and throwing candy on the floor and letting the kids go to town.  Your just NOT needed.  

-Why play a healer, no one gets hurt.  It's like being a doctor fresh out of collage with no patients yet.  Who ya gonna heal ?

-Melee fighter, why ?.... totally inefficient.  Stab monster A, stab monster B, and so on.... You could find yourself stabbing upwards of 20 times.... Too much work.  

WHY PLAY A MAGE ?...... Set everything on fire, Nuke them all, you don't even have to move.  You'll be back in town selling your stuff before dinner. 

What mmorpg am I talking about ?..... All of them :)

mmolou

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Did you play with the cough syrup again Delete? Thats no lemonade!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    delete5230Slapshot1188SovrathcameltosisrojoArcueidNyghthowlerAlBQuirkyOctagon7711Azaron_Nightbladecheyane
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ShaddyDaddyShaddyDaddy Member UncommonPosts: 192

What ?..... Hold on I'll explain 

Trinity systems are out the door. Class rolls don't matter anymore. If you want to group it's simply for fun or getting friends together, otherwise you'll be solo. 

With that being said,

-Why play a rogue or an assassin wasting your time sneaking up on a mob.  It's like sneaking up on a two month infant to take his/her bottle…. may as well walk up and take it if your that rude. 

-Why play a tank when theirs no calling for it.  Gathering up a pile of monsters wearing plate to protect your group is a thing of the past.  Since you don't put out damage, you may have to swing twice.  Going into a dungeon is like walking into a six year old's birthday party and throwing candy on the floor and letting the kids go to town.  Your just NOT needed.  

-Why play a healer, no one gets hurt.  It's like being a doctor fresh out of collage with no patients yet.  Who ya gonna heal ?

-Melee fighter, why ?.... totally inefficient.  Stab monster A, stab monster B, and so on.... You could find yourself stabbing upwards of 20 times.... Too much work.  

WHY PLAY A MAGE ?...... Set everything on fire, Nuke them all, you don't even have to move.  You'll be back in town selling your stuff before dinner. 

What mmorpg am I talking about ?..... All of them :)

What game you playin?
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    lahnmir said:
    Did you play with the cough syrup again Delete? Thats no lemonade!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Hay,
    All that Nyquil and this topic are for the most part unrelated.
    How do you know this anyway ?
    AlBQuirkyAzaron_Nightblade

Playing an mmorpg today is like taking a flight from Atlanta to New York.  

You pull out the magazine from the pocket in front of you only to find the crossword puzzle is already done….You know what I do ?... I sign it as if I did it ! 

The games play themselves

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    what's about sexy clothes  ?
    Azaron_Nightblade
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

You pull out the magazine from the pocket in front of you only to find the crossword puzzle is already done….You know what I do ?... I sign it as if I did it ! 

I'm not sure I follow anything you have said in this thread. What MMO are you playing where everyone could do all the content if everyone played a fire mage? What group crossword puzzles are you playing and do they have a pug finder? 
    Nanfoodle said:

I'm not sure I follow anything you have said in this thread. What MMO are you playing where everyone could do all the content if everyone played a fire mage? What group crossword puzzles are you playing and do they have a pug finder? 
    I spent on and off parts of yesterday TRYING DESPERATELY to hype over ESO.  Word has it the game improved since launch..... Well its ridiculously easy ! 

Why care about what class your playing, simply press buttons. Nothing matters, why care about anything in the cash shop, why care about crafting, why care about anything.

The game plays itself.....Whats to like if their too lazy to balance.  
  • ShaddyDaddyShaddyDaddy Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Nanfoodle said:

I spent on and off parts of yesterday TRYING DESPERATELY to hype over ESO.  Word has it the game improved since launch..... Well its ridiculously easy ! 

Why care about what class your playing, simply press buttons. Nothing matters, why care about anything in the cash shop, why care about crafting, why care about anything.

I see what you are playing now. ESO, You call it ridiculously easy, but I am curious if you played the game at launch? Also, pressing buttons and killing things has been a staple of MMO's (and any game really) for a long time. I honestly believe that short of a simulation, you won't be happy with any game out there. Not a dig at you. It is just outside perspective. 
    Nanfoodle said:

I see what you are playing now. ESO, You call it ridiculously easy, but I am curious if you played the game at launch? Also, pressing buttons and killing things has been a staple of MMO's (and any game really) for a long time. I honestly believe that short of a simulation, you won't be happy with any game out there. Not a dig at you. It is just outside perspective. 
    Yes, I played it at launch.... It was a mess, people were loading in with their friends and groups, just not sharing the same game world.  This I could live with needing to fix things.  BUT the game was also on rails as you moved across the zone, you can't have that and be an mmorpg.

They say the game had not only been fixed but improved !!!

Great, but they made it crazy easy too.... How can anyone possibly care about new abilities and changing their style of fighting if NOTHING MATTERS..... WTF is with EASY !
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    edited December 2019
    I think what he is saying is that modern MMORPGs do not use the Trinity properly.
    There is a trinity but it is watered down compared to Old School MMOs.
    To play ‘hard’ content, you only need a full group of mages, without the need of tank and healer.

I guess that’s the short version of the OP thread.
    delete5230Octagon7711
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    All I got out of this was that our dear Delete might be a closet arsonist.  I was appropriately terrified.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

edited December 2019
    Mendel said:
    All I got out of this was that our dear Delete might be a closet arsonist.  I was appropriately terrified.

Nope.... All talk
    Mary Christmas  :o
    Mendel
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I thought he was playing Warhammer Online . . bright mage :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited December 2019
    Delete... It doesn't matter any more. Classes are soooo 2009! It's max damage skills you need to to choose from an endless skilltree :)
    Octagon7711

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited December 2019

delete5230Octagon7711
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    That is not how FFXI was played.If for example you were a RedMage healer,you would have tons of stuff to do,your not only sitting there waiting to heal.That same RDM could also solo very tough mobs if that player wanted to,just inefficient solo.
    Roles mattered very much in FFXi,it is why it has been one of the very few actual ROLE playing games.
    ALL of the linear questing games were designed to solo with coop play for dungeons.SO doing quests for xp took NO ROLES,no risk,no challenge,basically free xp and sometimes free loot as well.
    Furthermore 99% of the games handing out xp for questing,make zero sense,what is xp even stand for>>experience.SO these crappy game devs figure you are becoming more experienced at your role by doing fetch me quests...lol,yeah exactly,so now you know why i laugh at Wow and it's clones,those dev have no clue what a rpg even is or how to design one.

The ONLY time your role is needed is doing those co op dungeons,guess where those reside>>>instances,yeah again CLUELESS devs,let's make a MMO and stick the only MMO content in an instance.It's called basic rpg design 101 and yet 99% of the devs do not GET IT.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Let's move even further away from mmorpg's and create ARPG's ...sigh,just garbage.Let's move one step further down the rabbit hole....mobile games,combine the same item 500x and AMAZING,you know have a rank 2 item.Want to further upgrade that item,we have items for sale in our cash shop,yo ucan get your fancy sword to rank 15 for only $750,great gaming !!

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 284
    How did this site end up with 2 resident crazy people (delete and wizardry)?

I feel like most places end up with one jaded, hateful old rambling lunatic, yet we have 2.

Merry Christmas to us all.
    While on this same topic of FIRE MAGE....

Know what most really bad system designers do with this type of game?

They allot points to spend on your skills.SO if you get 5 points per level you can spend all 5 on fire everytime or divvy them up across several areas.SO if you been living under a rock and have yet to figure out the flaw in this design,unless you put ALL of your points into fire every time,you'll just be a jack of all trades and good at nothing.
    The game devs also know that many..most will understand it and put all their points into fire every time,so they adjust the enemies accordingly,expecting you to spend all points into Fire.SO what you end up with is a waste of time system,a design that only serves one function ,it allows you to screw up by not following the status quo.

This is the problem hoping for a great mmorpg to come out,way too many bad developers and way too many people supporting these terrible designs.
    I DO NOT want to be a FIRE MAGE, i want to be a versatile character/mage that also plays a role within a group.

crankked said:

I feel like most places end up with one jaded, hateful old rambling lunatic, yet we have 2.

Still doesn't stop the fact your most likely playing "easy" mmorpg's the hard way by playing classes other than casters :)
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    crankked said:

Two things. 
    One, Wizardry a crazy? Something's just not right with that statement.
    And two, how the hell do you leave me off that list? 

Once upon a time....

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Wizardry said:
    While on this same topic of FIRE MAGE....

Know what most really bad system designers do with this type of game?

They allot points to spend on your skills.SO if you get 5 points per level you can spend all 5 on fire everytime or divvy them up across several areas.SO if you been living under a rock and have yet to figure out the flaw in this design,unless you put ALL of your points into fire every time,you'll just be a jack of all trades and good at nothing.
    The game devs also know that many..most will understand it and put all their points into fire every time,so they adjust the enemies accordingly,expecting you to spend all points into Fire.SO what you end up with is a waste of time system,a design that only serves one function ,it allows you to screw up by not following the status quo.

This is the problem hoping for a great mmorpg to come out,way too many bad developers and way too many people supporting these terrible designs.
    I DO NOT want to be a FIRE MAGE, i want to be a versatile character/mage that also plays a role within a group.

These days, I don't think a good game is what the Developers are after. They just want something with flash that they can sell more flash through the Cash Shop. 

A thought hit me, though. I don't like being restricted to a clearly defined "role." It's almost as if people want, not just to be scripted "win" and "fantasy heroism", but even their personality in this online place. (I hope that thought isn't correct.) 

Once upon a time....

crankked said:

Two things. 
    One, Wizardry a crazy? Something's just not right with that statement.
    And two, how the hell do you leave me off that list? 
    Sorry you didn't make @crankked list of crazies.
    Try a little harder  :o  
    edited December 2019
    This is Sad !!
    Here's a how to level 1-50 video.  His advice is to go where ever you can gather the most mobs at once and wreck havoc quickly.  Watch his health bar !

I watched carefully, it seems the most he could gather would be around 12.  judging by his health, he can safely take 100.

This is the modern mmorpg mindset.... Why care about character builds, why put any thought into it. 

Mikeha
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    iixviiiix said:
    what's about sexy clothes  ?
    Yeah! Gotta look good while setting things on fire!!!
    AlBQuirky

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/