Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Best Damn Planets In The Galaxy

2»

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited December 2019
    boris20 said:
    LOL i was thinking the same thing. SC visuals are much more realistic from what I've seen comparing the 2 games.

Waiting for the cloud tech, because there are gas giants with landing zones, the last landing zone of the current system is the actual Crusader Gas Giant:

I would say when that planet comes around, with the visual standard of the game, it's going to be impressive.

The wild variety of environments we can see from its planets, and as he mentions on the vid, is a huge win for the game as far exploring around to not find a diluted style
    Gdemami
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    adderVXI said:
    These are awesome, and I'm a backer whose short on time, hence i don't play it really at all, but is there anything down on these planets?  I did fly to a moon once and there was nothing.  Are planets populated with anything "living" yet?

You can find some hidden places, sometimes with guards to fight. See list above.

No animals to fight yet - this will not be the focus in Star Citizen anyway.

Have fun

Babuinix
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    A game that has promised the heaven and the earth, well we all know how that will turn out.
    Palebane
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Maurgrim said:
    A game that has promised the heaven and the earth, well we all know how that will turn out.

Actually ... quite well in that case. It just takes time. And support. And they got both.

As long as needed.

Have fun
    Kyleran
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited December 2019
    adderVXI said:
    These are awesome, and I'm a backer whose short on time, hence i don't play it really at all, but is there anything down on these planets?  I did fly to a moon once and there was nothing.  Are planets populated with anything "living" yet?
    Planet's are still empty besides some outposts and bunkers with npc's to kill. Moons have minable rocks, caves and also a handful of outposts for trading/questing as delivery missions. There's no "alien" life yet. There's no "go kill 5 alien boars and bring me their pelts" quests yet, and I dunno if they will ever go that route.

The planetary missions, for now encompass, finding derelict ship's to scavenge or search for missing crew, caves also have minable's which are also associated with missions to find missing persons, army bunkers to clear some janky npc's and usually a huge main city per planet that act's as gathering HUB. Ofc if you are a trader you buy stuff from one outpost to another along , delivery missions also take you to planets and such.

So they are still pretty much static thing's without much "life", like roaming npc's or animal life as that requires tech that's still in development. Because they aren't interested in spawning random creatures all over just to "pretend" there's life. Every planet has a lore and setting that will need to be crafted accordingly. The moving npc's with dynamism are found in space, in the form of pirate ship's that interdict you and try to kill you.

Ofc since it's a sandbox, a lot of the action is with another players, missions can put players fighting or collaborating for the same objectives!
    Babuinix do you work for Chris Roberts? You seem to go way beyond and above what the normal fanboi would for a game. To me the game doesn't look any better than No Man's Sky.
    I can see how such an old jaded mmorpg heart would find it hard to understand that there's still people out there with a passion for gaming much less the complexity and ambition of a project like Star Citizen :D

But rest assure, there's still gamers with that enthusiasm and spark for playing groundbreaking games and appreciate the work of ambitious dev's who aren't afraid to take risks! And ofc we enjoy sharing it with the world! :)

Knowing that it rattles haters, cynics and old farts end's up being the cherry on top! B) 

Comparing it with NMS (specially in the gfx department) only showcases lack of understanding of both games technical achievements and main goals. :)
    Post edited by Babuinix on
    Gdemamiboris20mmolourpmcmurphy
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    Babuinix said:
    I can see how such an old jaded mmorpg heart would find it hard to understand passion for gaming much less the complexity and ambition of a project like Star Citizen :disappointed:

But rest assure, there's still gamers passionate for playing groundbreaking games and can appreciate the work of ambitious dev's who aren't afraid to take risks and we enjoy sharing it with the world!

Knowing that it rattles haters, cynics and old farts it's just the cherry on top! B) 

I scratch my head at the same thing. How so many people can hate. We have a company that is working to bring the space genre to the next level, breaking new ground on technology, and so many people trying to burn it down. Im not invested what so ever in SC, and wont be until there is a true launch and game completed, but it does make me happy to see an ambitious project, with the funds it needs, taking their time and working to build something as vast and complex as this. Why would I be out to witch hunt it and try to bring it down? Its not hurting me one bit that its taking time. 
    ErillionBabuinix
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    boris20 said:
    adderVXI said:
    Babuinix said:
    boris20 said:
    The planets look great. 

Edit: Coming from someone who has invested nothing in the game, nor played it. 
    Thank you for sharing OP. 
    Yeap there's something oddly satisfying in coming from the blackness of space and land on a planet and just realising that you have all of it to explore without the usual limitations.

It's even more bonkers when you look way up and see the space station you came from, or better, other planets or moons and knowing you can go there and visit them!

Yeah these space stations can be seen from the ground when the sun is right just as big landmarks on the planet can be noticed from orbit!

The level of scale is truly amazing!

This is pretty interesting. I never really realized the vast scale of things going on in SC. 

I would imagine in time they will get those planets populated and what not if they aren't already? I feel thats stuff that will come with dev time?
    I think that population will be limited to hotspots. Outside of them they could create plants and animals, but creating humans or other intelligent life isn't realistic.
    Gdemami

Vrika said:
    I think that population will be limited to hotspots. Outside of them they could create plants and animals, but creating humans or other intelligent life isn't realistic.
    As far as the actual proper AI goes should be, landing zone the obvious big spot but besides that outposts friendly and enemy AI stuff and any other type of direct content ends up being related to normal human (or alien in the future) AI. Finding say one some cave used as pirates as their own hideout and that's where X enemies spawn in, that hits more the design of the game.

And that is also logically, where intelligent life would centralize on a planet surface not scattered on the open-world roaming around, that's what normal fauna is for and on the play loop context of SC it ends up more of a visual thing.
    Gdemami
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    Rhoklaw said:
    So, SC is just a space flight simulator. Realism and beautiful graphics are awesome, no denying that, but aside from human structures and inhabitants, what are you left with? A game of intergalactic, err, galactic, err, solar system space battles and asteroid mining?

An empty lifeless game. People used to complain about how SWG had big empty open worlds. At least there was roaming fauna and NPC with AI (as crude as it was). This game is no SWG replacement, it's just a flight simulator, and there are already plenty of those. I imagine if there is no one on this game would feel dead and empty; which is some of the complaints I'm hearing on Steam over Infinity: Battlescape, and they even have NPC AI ships.

I bet when Microsoft launches it's next flight simulator this game will empty out faster than your bowls do after a bad taco Tuesday.
    DarkpigeonBabuinix
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

edited December 2019
    Rhoklaw said:
    So, SC is just a space flight simulator. Realism and beautiful graphics are awesome, no denying that, but aside from human structures and inhabitants, what are you left with? A game of intergalactic, err, galactic, err, solar system space battles and asteroid mining?
    Sandbox setup, mechanics are add the setup is added, it's a huge dynamic mission front backboning the content and the economy. So be that mining, salvaging, players trading, piracy, and all the different game loop professions to come, that's how they are setup.

As far planet surfaces go on planets, the design falls on the territory claiming and building, not as the standard "my lill home" but a sort of outpost, maybe a factory, resource collection site, etc... Tho on its core I think it requires people who like to play the economy loops, or the PvP.

So no, not locked to a flight simulator, but also not the traditional content that hand-feeds you linear content & progression.
    Gdemami
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Too bad they promised 100 systems at release as a stretch goal.

And no real ecosystems yet, as they've got the programming and AI stretched too far as it is?

I get that critters and critter interaction is not the focus of the game.   But remember that fancy promo trailer with fanservice sandworms and sand people?? 

GdemamiNorseGod

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

edited December 2019
    Tiller said:
    Rhoklaw said:

An empty lifeless game. People used to complain about how SWG had big empty open worlds. At least there was roaming fauna and NPC with AI (as crude as it was). This game is no SWG replacement, it's just a flight simulator, and there are already plenty of those. I imagine if there is no one on this game would feel dead and empty; which is some of the complaints I'm hearing on Steam over Infinity: Battlescape, and they even have NPC AI ships.

I bet when Microsoft launches it's next flight simulator this game will empty out faster than your bowls do after a bad taco Tuesday.
    Comments as this just show how little you know of SC.

Since the start, the original design of this game one of its core pitches was the economy, Star Citizen, in short, is an economy-driven space-sim MMO.

For who plays and follows its direction, the whole setup of the game surrounds all the different activities you choose to engage with to earn your living, in what is a sandbox game-world, that drives content.

Infinity: Battlescape problem is not based on game design feeling dead and empty because the game is a match-based PvP not any persistent play world, it's dead and empty because it has no players.

And no real ecosystems yet, as they've got the programming and AI stretched too far as it is?

I get that critters and critter interaction is not the focus of the game.   But remember that fancy promo trailer with fanservice sandworms and sand people?? 

Sand people are actual real AI, and it's where the AI focus in as FPS AI does populate areas of the world now.

I don't think they'll prioritize AI that is not also in need for SQ42, fauna in planets is of little to no benefit for gameplay loops compared to the gigantic AI needs of the MMO itself, that'd be having the dynamic NPCs simulating, like the Citcon Quantum dev panel showcased.

Also as far as systems, it's already been said multiple times years ago that they plan do to part of the hundred solar systems by release, and continue post-launch updates adding more.
    Gdemami
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    MaxBacon said:
    Tiller said:
    Rhoklaw said:

Comments as this just show how little you know of SC.

Since the start, the original design of this game one of its core pitches was the economy, Star Citizen, in short, is an economy-driven space-sim MMO.

For who plays and follows its direction, the whole setup of the game surrounds all the different activities you choose to engage with to earn your living, in what is a sandbox game-world, that drives content.

Infinity: Battlescape problem is not based on game design feeling dead and empty because the game is a match-based PvP not any persistent play world, it's dead and empty because it has no players.

Sand people are actual real AI, and it's where the AI focus in as FPS AI does populate areas of the world now.

I don't think they'll prioritize AI that is not also in need for SQ42, fauna in planets is of little to no benefit for gameplay loops compared to the gigantic AI needs of the MMO itself, that'd be having the dynamic NPCs simulating, like the Citcon Quantum dev panel showcased.

Also as far as systems, it's already been said multiple times years ago that they plan do to part of the hundred solar systems by release, and continue post-launch updates adding more.

I know the differences between the two games, I'm only pointing out the issues of low populations being a problem for online games inn general; even in a early access title. You forget, I've actually played SC, and it felt pretty empty at every time I logged in. I saw people chatting, but it was mildly toxic and there were only a handful of the usuals on most times like they sit around and use it for a chat room. A few times I saw people ask who wanted to do a run with them, but mostly it was just chatting about random stuff.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    boris20 said:
    Babuinix said:
    I can see how such an old jaded mmorpg heart would find it hard to understand passion for gaming much less the complexity and ambition of a project like Star Citizen :disappointed:

But rest assure, there's still gamers passionate for playing groundbreaking games and can appreciate the work of ambitious dev's who aren't afraid to take risks and we enjoy sharing it with the world!

Knowing that it rattles haters, cynics and old farts it's just the cherry on top! B) 

I scratch my head at the same thing. How so many people can hate. We have a company that is working to bring the space genre to the next level, breaking new ground on technology, and so many people trying to burn it down. Im not invested what so ever in SC, and wont be until there is a true launch and game completed, but it does make me happy to see an ambitious project, with the funds it needs, taking their time and working to build something as vast and complex as this. Why would I be out to witch hunt it and try to bring it down? Its not hurting me one bit that its taking time. 
    A good question, and this is my honest take on why people care that it is taken longer as promised.

The first one is kind of a give away, a different promise was made when it comes to time frames. The game wasn’t supposed to take this long, even according to its own devs. Unless they completely let go of that original promise to deliver their backers an entire moon instead of the original envisioned pebble (lousy metaphor, I know). Some people call that development and a grand vision, others call it being dishonest. I can see both sides.

To take that idea a bit further, why do people care so much that a promise wasn’t  upheld. Well, a first simple question might be, did the devs know upfront they couldn’t deliver on time and “lie” to the backers? Which brings me to the why, why should people care and why would devs do such a thing. 

Crowdfunding titles depend on backers, various incentives are used to make people spend money. Incentives like certain industry names, game features, nostalgia, rewards for donations etc. But one incentive is a time frame, people spend money on projects because they will deliver X in a year or two, they wouldn’t spend when X would be a beta in 10+ years. For proof of the latter you can simply browse through crowdfunding threads and their delays on this very site, many people wouldn’t have spent money. So when a time frame is used as a tool to make people spend money you should care if devs stick to it. Imagine Roberts being replaced with Garriott because it would benefit the project, changing it into a shooter because it would be better for the project, or turning the graphics into a cellshaded thing, all of the above would spark outrage and rightfully so.

All of the above goes for every crowdfunding project by the way, so why more focus on SC. Well, first because it isn’t just X being a beta in 10+ years instead of the original time frame, X has also become XYZ + laserbeams, covered in gold surrounded by eternal rainbows. Meanwhile X hasn’t been fully completed yet, let alone the laserbeams or eternal rainbows (lousy exaggeration, I know). 

But the most important thing is that SC is the biggest everything except actual game right now, everything has been blown up to never seen proportions. That goes from money raised, to number of devs, to features promised, to quality of graphics, to ships in the cash shop, to ego of Star Lord (Roberts), to ambition, to fans (won’t be calling them white knights) to critics (won’t be calling them haters either). You see more critics because you see more fans because you see more everything. For better or for worse SC is the largest Epeen out there, that alone make people care one way or the other.

So, thats my take on the whole thing. And I play it. And like it. I also make fun of it.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

Gdemamimmolou
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited December 2019
    Erillion said:
    Maurgrim said:

Actually ... quite well in that case. It just takes time. And support. And they got both.

As long as needed.

Have fun

Better not go too long, 2029 the asteroid hits the Earth (yeah, they tell you its going to miss, but would they ever say otherwise?)

"The closest known approach of Apophis comes on April 13, 2029, when the asteroid comes to within a distance of around 31,000 kilometres from Earth's surface. The distance, a hair's breadth in astronomical terms, is ten times closer than the moon, and even closer than some man-made satellites.[23] It will be the closest asteroid of its size in recorded history"

I'll be sitting up on my rooftop with a big bullsize painted on it, drinking a case of beer and listening to my jams.....

Gonna suck for you younger folks,and probably the SC fans who will still be waiting for final launch, but helps me skip another round of the "diaper years"

:)

Erillion[Deleted User]hfztt[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited December 2019
    boris20 said:
    I scratch my head at the same thing. How so many people can hate.
    ...for the same reasons people blindly praise the game - calling it "breaking new ground on technology" and alike.

Different ends of the spectrum.
    Post edited by Gdemami on
    rpmcmurphy
    Tiller said:

I know the differences between the two games, I'm only pointing out the issues of low populations being a problem for online games inn general; even in a early access title. You forget, I've actually played SC, and it felt pretty empty at every time I logged in. I saw people chatting, but it was mildly toxic and there were only a handful of the usuals on most times like they sit around and use it for a chat room. A few times I saw people ask who wanted to do a run with them, but mostly it was just chatting about random stuff.
    The backbone of the MP aspect does not lie on the chats when you play, instead especially with the organizations you join, more organized group play within what is allowed currently.

The mechanic can be described as the mission system, players are always setting beacons for transport, combat help, etc... then the mission system engaging in feeding PvP with bounties, objective-counter MP stuff, etc... 

You don't get that play by chatting really there are actual mechanics that by fund that play, the mission system intentionally creates PvP and players playing solo or together as missions now requiring a party of players with a payout share mechanic, to the beacon system that is the offer & request of services to and from other players.

If you ask me that already is more on MP interaction than the standard MMO that so annoyingly caters to the solo player that hardly ever needs or sees a benefit to party up for content until some of the end-game. 
    Gdemamimmolou

Erillion
    And Moons too :)

Erillion