Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oh wow I learned there is a New Lord of the Rings MMO in the making,,, then I learned something else

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
edited December 2019 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
I been lazy on following new MMO news, so please forgive me there. But wow I was excited to hear that there is a new AAA Lord of the Rings MMO in the making. 

that was until I learned it will be F2P and Action Combat Console Hybrid based.
that was a killing blow for the hype. But Just wanted to bring attention to this new MMO for those like myself, havnt heard about this news. :-/ :|

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

klash2def

Comments

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    It's good that they are honest , but the game don't sound like MMORPG for me . More likely a multiplayer action game instead
    [Deleted User]Agent_JosephBaemir
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    edited December 2019
    Nyctelios said:
    The chances both will be linked (in theme/time frame) are very high
    Both are being listed as set in the 2nd Age (but not linked) so not super familiar to most that only know LoTR via the movies.

The games being done by Leyou-owned Athlon Games (Warframe owners) and Amazon Game Studios.
    Gorwe[Deleted User]

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited December 2019
    Gorwe said:
    Well...the 2nd age is the one we know the least about(discounting 4th age ofc).
    SA is nicely detailed in the History and the Appendices add in quite a bit as well besides the Silmarillion... the question is, how much of that is accessible to Amazon.

If I'm not mistaken, MEE only has access to the LotR books, and even those rights aren't given out as a whole, I think there was a discussion about it in LotRO around the time of a license renewal that Turbine has access only to LotR and not the Hobbit, that's why they can't add stuff only mentioned in the Hobbit but not in the 3 books.

Since Athlon partnered with MEE (and not the Estate, naturally), I don't see how could they use any of those sources - and as Gorwe said LotR alone has very few information on the SA.

But maybe that was the point, to create something which wasn't detailed by Tolkien... wouldn't be unheard of, a certain PJ comes to mind with elven lasses into dwarves, and barrel-riding combat scenes :) 

ed: just a note, I went with SA since that's what you mentioned but unless I've missed something, they never said SA specifically, just "a long time before" LotR.
    It still could be TA as well, since there's 3000 years of TA before Frodo and co. do simply walk into Mordor...
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    Po_gg said:
    Gorwe said:
    Well...the 2nd age is the one we know the least about(discounting 4th age ofc).
    SA is nicely detailed in the History and the Appendices add in quite a bit as well besides the Silmarillion... the question is, how much of that is accessible to Amazon.

Didn't Amazon get the rights to everything except the content covered by the films? I thought they had that kind of all-encompassing deal... For $250m I would expect no less.

They could in theory start from the first moments of the FA, but those would probably also be the most difficult to translate into visual form. SA is a safer start, especially if they want to cover the rise of Sauron, in order to have a direct connection to the films (and thus be more accessible to the film fans who are not familiar with the History, Appendices, Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales or the History of Middle Earth.

Vermillion_Raventhal
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     Old News .. really , really Old News
    MargraveAgent_Joseph
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I been lazy on following new MMO news, so please forgive me there. But wow I was excited to hear that there is a new AAA Lord of the Rings MMO in the making. 

that was until I learned it will be F2P and Action Combat Console Hybrid based.
    that was a killing blow for the hype. But Just wanted to bring attention to this new MMO for those like myself, havnt heard about this news. :-/ :|
    This is the sad reality of where gaming is going,f2p and cash shops and MINDLESS gameplay/combat.
    Only one entity to blame,the consumers,we wouldn't see this kind of crappy game design unless people are spending loads of money on it.

I don't even consider the current lotro to be very good at all,so to take that effort and tune it down about 20 notches will end up with vendor trash ,a game i wouldn't waste my time even looking at for 2 seconds.
    LOTR gaming is all about selling a license,just tag that title onto the game and it instantly sells.If that same game was called something else it wouldn't even turn a profit.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I love the Lord of the Rings, it's one of my favourite stories but also IMO the most boring settings for an MMO. The lore does not suit a mass of players using magic. So classes tend to be a little blasé. Makes a great solo player RPG experience. 
    AmarantharBaemirAlBQuirky
  • Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Nebless said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Both are being listed as set in the 2nd Age (but not linked) so not super familiar to most that only know LoTR via the movies.

The games being done by Leyou-owned Athlon Games (Warframe owners) and Amazon Game Studios.
    Did the 2nd Age begin with Feanor and Fingolfin leading the Noldor Elves over the sea in chase of Morgoth and the silmarils?
  • Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982
    Sal1 said:
    Nebless said:
    Nyctelios said:

Did the 2nd Age begin with Feanor and Fingolfin leading the Noldor Elves over the sea in chase of Morgoth and the silmarils?
    Nope. That was still part of the First Age. The Second Age basically started when Morgoth was thrown down at the end of the War of Wrath. After that, many Elves left Middle-earth for good and the Men who helped the Elves were given an island relatively close to Valinor as a reward.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I like the LoTR lore but am not thrilled with Amazon Games being behind this.
    BaemirGdemamiAlBQuirky
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited December 2019
    Didn't Amazon get the rights to everything except the content covered by the films? I thought they had that kind of all-encompassing deal... For $250m I would expect no less.
    I'm afraid there's a bit of a mix-up with game and show...
    but of course we can't say anything for sure until the stuff is out already and we can watch/play it :)

There's MEE with the rights of Hobbit and LotR, for movies, games and merchandise, etc.
    And there's the Estate with the rights of everything, for anything minus the above. Apparently it includes tv rights as well, since...

... Amazon will make the series, in collaboration with the Estate, and while at start they just have indicated it'll be set before LotR (some guessed the youth years of Aragorn), later they've officially announced it's in the SA.
    With the Estate at their side (and as it was said they will oversee the show's lore and can remove anything they don't like or don't see fit) I believe Amazon will have access to everything SA related.

Then, there's Athlon/AGS with the game, partnered with MEE (as the licensor of game rights).
    To be honest, I've missed any direct statements about the setting or time period, besides the original announcement's "at a time long before the events of The Lord of the Rings" - but I admit I don't follow it too closely, since I don't care much about a multiplayer action game.
    Anyway, here's the root of the issues: MEE can't give Athlon too much about SA, even if they wanted to, since events of SA (but same goes the first 1-2 thousand years of TA) are just moderately covered in the Hobbit and LotR...
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    If they are going f2p, action style I could see this working if they work it like warframe or something.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    2nd Age?   At least Ancalagon won't be around.  It should be safe enough to log in, once finished.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.