Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Mandalorian

The show reminds me a lot of SWG. The day to day stuff going on Star Wars stuff. I always thought this would have been a better setting for SWG so Jedi/darksiders make sense in canon. 

I don't know why but it gives me desires to see a SWG 2 based on that time period.  Empire remnants, New Republic and Jedi, Mandalorian, bounty hunter guild and etc.  It's the sandbox we need.

AsheramTokken[Deleted User]Octagon7711HatefullelockeBarrikorTillerSteelhelm

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited December 2019
    I felt the same.  I was looking at FFGs start wars pen and paper RPG and wanted to play the Outer Rim setting.  This is exactly how I pictured it.   SWG2 based right after the fall of the Empire, in the outer rim would be faaantastic.
    Asheram[Deleted User]PalebaneHatefullBarrikor

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Plus theres baby Yoda  ;)

[Deleted User]NyghthowlerOctagon7711
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    I was thinking this reminded me more of some pen and paper RPG games I used to play back in the day.
    Hatefull
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Dave Filoni needs to be put in charge of all Star Wars Development. Also Kathleen Kennedy needs to be replaced at Lucasfilm.  My guess is that this is already underway with Kevin Feige dipping his toes into SW.  I can see him taking over Lucasfilm as they toss honorariums at Kennedy while showing her the door.

The Mandalorian feels like Star Wars despite being very different from the norm.

Hatefull

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    It's been pretty good so far and feels to me a lot like the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons as it meanders through the main story arc in favor of weekly adventures that provide bits of character development. The Outer Rim, bounty hunter lifestyle is reminiscent of Firefly in both setting and mood, which also used a pretty even mix of overarching story and single, contained episodes. Sadly, that show was never given the chance to build on its strong foundation, but The Mandalorian is sure to get a 2nd and probably a 3rd season at a minimum, so hopefully they can avoid the tropes of the genre that can make these weekly "A-Team" type shows grow stale after awhile.
    Arterius said:
    Dave Filoni needs to be put in charge of all Star Wars Development. Also Kathleen Kennedy needs to be replaced at Lucasfilm.  My guess is that this is already underway with Kevin Feige dipping his toes into SW.  I can see him taking over Lucasfilm as they toss honorariums at Kennedy while showing her the door.

The Mandalorian feels like Star Wars despite being very different from the norm.

No way. That Kevin Fiege thing has long been debunked. He is working on one movie and thats it. I mean he was just made the head of Marvel altogether. Movie, Comics, and TV @Slapshot1188. Plus Kathleen Kennedy has basically confirmed she is sticking around. Bob Iger said he is proud to see what Kathleen does next and Kathleen said that she has learned from her mistakes and she can't wait for people to see what she is cooking up.

Not saying they won't replace her at some point but I would bet everything I own that it won't be Kevin Fiege. Plus people forgot that she made Rouge One which was a decent movie, signed off a new season of the Clone Wars, signed off on the Mandalorian, and it was her idea to make an Obi-Wan show. Her mistake was trying to make a sequel trilogy to a series that didn't need it and then didn't have a game plan.

Maybe its because I work for Hollywood but it pains me when I see people blame one person for everything. It takes way more then one person  to make the flubs that came with the new series. Sure she deserves some of the blame but so does JJ, Bob Iger, the producers, and Rian Johnson
    What makes you think I give those people a pass?  

As for Feige- I never said he would give up his Marvel role.  I said he would add a role.

And Iger will continue to say how proud he is of Kennedy... while steering her to the exit.  He doesn't give a shit if movies or TV shows are good or bad. That's all subjective.  He cares about expanding his bottom line, and her handling of the main SW license has shown a clear negative trend.  TROS will make less than TLJ even though it's being hyped as the ultimate culmination of 4 decades of a beloved all-time classic property.  Indiana Jones (the second largest IP from Lucasfilm) was a misfire and failed to relaunch the property.

Iger wants to see these IPs growing, like Marvel.  Not stagnating or wasting away.  

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Arterius said:
    Arterius said:

No way. That Kevin Fiege thing has long been debunked. He is working on one movie and thats it. I mean he was just made the head of Marvel altogether. Movie, Comics, and TV @Slapshot1188. Plus Kathleen Kennedy has basically confirmed she is sticking around. Bob Iger said he is proud to see what Kathleen does next and Kathleen said that she has learned from her mistakes and she can't wait for people to see what she is cooking up.

Not saying they won't replace her at some point but I would bet everything I own that it won't be Kevin Fiege. Plus people forgot that she made Rouge One which was a decent movie, signed off a new season of the Clone Wars, signed off on the Mandalorian, and it was her idea to make an Obi-Wan show. Her mistake was trying to make a sequel trilogy to a series that didn't need it and then didn't have a game plan.

Maybe its because I work for Hollywood but it pains me when I see people blame one person for everything. It takes way more then one person  to make the flubs that came with the new series. Sure she deserves some of the blame but so does JJ, Bob Iger, the producers, and Rian Johnson
    What makes you think I give those people a pass?  

As for Feige- I never said he would give up his Marvel role.  I said he would add a role.

And Iger will continue to say how proud he is of Kennedy... while steering her to the exit.  He doesn't give a shit if movies or TV shows are good or bad. That's all subjective.  He cares about expanding his bottom line, and her handling of the main SW license has shown a clear negative trend.  TROS will make less than TLJ even though it's being hyped as the ultimate culmination of 4 decades of a beloved all-time classic property.  Indiana Jones (the second largest IP from Lucasfilm) was a misfire and failed to relaunch the property.

Iger wants to see these IPs growing, like Marvel.  Not stagnating or wasting away.  
    Indiana Jones 4 was way before Disney got a hold of Lucasfilms though. I just don't see Kevin Feige adding a role. He would be stretched too thin. I think people don't give Kevin enough credit for just how much work he is doing with Marvel movies and now TV and comics. That man must be under a crazy amount of stress. Def now that the Infinity Saga is over and he has to prove to everyone he can do it again with brand new heroes that most people have never heard of.

Unless Marvel completely bellies up I could promise you that Kevin Fiege will not be taking over for SW. I don't think Dave Fiolini will either, but that would be awesome if he did. Again, sure TROS will probably make less money TLJ but I still think it will crack 1 billion. To say SW as a brand is dead is crazy.

I think Disney has proved by now that as long as the movies aren't based around the Skywalker's there movies are pretty good. The only movie that lost money was Solo and I would argue that this was more because no one asked for a Han Solo origin movie that didn't star Harrison Ford.
    Again, you are not restating what I have said.  I did not say "Star Wars as a brand was dead".  I believe it is stagnating and deteriorating.  

The Mandalorian is a great show.  It's also not going to put billions of dollars into the pockets of Disney.   8 thirty minute TV episodes were great as a lead to get people into Disney+ but  not in the same class as what Episode 9 COULD have been.  It's a start, and a bright spot, and I firmly believe that it's due to Dave Filoni.

I'll stick to my prognostication.  The wildcard, of course, is Iger's future.  If he does step down then his replacement could go either way.  Not make waves so as not to rock the boat, or make changes immediately to make the company his.
    sumdumguy1

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I've certainly been enjoying the Mandalorian.

What I've enjoyed most about the series is that it keeps giving me things I didn't know I wanted, but as soon as I see them I love it! Definitely fleshing out the universe more which is always a good thing. I also like how most episodes are standalone, the background storyline hasn't been that important so far, mostly just being used as a vehicle to take the Mandalorian from one place to the next.

So far, I'd say this series is the best, or nearly the best, thing to happen since Disney got the license. It's better than ep 7, 8 and solo. I prefer it to Rogue 1 too, but can see arguements as to why Rogue 1 might be better. I've not seen 9 yet, after the shambles of 8 and the terrible trailers I just haven't been motivated.
    Slapshot1188
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    To me the series averages out at a 5/10 overall.  I thought the 'Magnificent 2' episode was a particularly lazy script with the glaring plot hole that his ship's guns would have blown away the AT-ST in seconds.  None of the characters seem fleshed out and what depth there is on the series is relying on nods towards the films, such as Tattooine and the cantina.  If "Baby Yoda" wasn't in it it wouldn't have as many people watching it - women in general seem driven to dolphin-like squeals of excitement every time the puppet makes an appearance.  Very strange.  :D  It passes the time in an agreeable manner, mind you, but I'd never watch again and again like I do with Firefly.
    PalebaneCaffynated
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The show reminds me a lot of SWG. The day to day stuff going on Star Wars stuff. I always thought this would have been a better setting for SWG so Jedi/darksiders make sense in canon. 

I don't know why but it gives me desires to see a SWG 2 based on that time period.  Empire remnants, New Republic and Jedi, Mandalorian, bounty hunter guild and etc.  It's the sandbox we need.

I felt the same way.  The terrain was a lot like SWG.  Even Mando starting out having to upgrade his armor very much reminded me of doing missions in SWG to afford better armor.  Love this series.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Dibdabs said:
    "Baby Yoda"  

[Deleted User]Octagon7711Vermillion_RaventhalDibdabs[Deleted User]Gorwe
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    I love this tv show.

I still dont get why people write such thread in THIS forum though. This is about MMOs. The Mandalorian is a tv show. It belongs in "Off-topic Discussions".
    I love this tv show.

I still dont get why people write such thread in THIS forum though. This is about MMOs. The Mandalorian is a tv show. It belongs in "Off-topic Discussions".
    Did you read the OP?
    Gdemami

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Worth watching but I've got no clue how they spent $15,000,000 per episode on this. Each episode is like 32 minutes of actual show. Most expensive show per run time ever created.
    Gdemamisumdumguy1AsheramGorwe
    edited December 2019
    Arterius said:
    Whoever is making these needs to continue
    You requested more so here you go...

Oh and baby Yoda makes an appearance in this...

Post edited by Asheram on
    Octagon7711[Deleted User][Deleted User]
    Loved the season finale.  Watched it a few times already.  Bring on season two!

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    fantastic show so far... I hate the short episodes though.  Baby Yoda is trending so much!   

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    iam not a big Star Wars fan, so can you explain what you mean to me?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

I know it sounds weird but when I watched the original movies I always looked into the background of most scenes with other characters and wondered, what is that persons story? No joke.

The EU books really dove into some of those questions some of us had so I know I'm not the only one, like "Tales from Mos Eisley". SWG gave me a chance to actually play as that unknown backgound guy, living in the Star Wars Universe, an unknown, making a name a for myself in a galaxy far far away.

When I heard the statement from Lucas Arts state that "No one wants to be Uncle Owen”  I felt kinda gutted because there is a faction of Star Wars fans who want just that, a great role playing experience, not as someone else, but as themselves in a Star Wars world. You gotta admit some of us who played have some great stories to share of this world outside the movies, bring that back.

mmolou[Deleted User]Octagon7711HatefullVermillion_RaventhalGdemamicameltosis
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Tiller said:

I know it sounds weird but when I watched the original movies I always looked into the background of most scenes with other characters and wondered, what is that persons story? No joke.

The EU books really dove into some of those questions some of us had so I know I'm not the only one, like "Tales from Mos Eisley". SWG gave me a chance to actually play as that unknown backgound guy, living in the Star Wars Universe, an unknown, making a name a for myself in a galaxy far far away.

When I heard the statement from Lucas Arts state that "No one wants to be Uncle Owen”  I felt kinda gutted because there is a faction of Star Wars fans who want just that, a great role playing experience, not as someone else, but as themselves in a Star Wars world. You gotta admit some of us who played have some great stories to share of this world outside the movies, bring that back.

Wish I could give an Agree and an Awesome
    Octagon7711Hatefull
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Tiller said:

the SW card game made by decipher from 1995-2001 was what made me love SWG. You learned about all the characters in the background in that card game. 
  • WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    edited December 2019
    Baby Yoda is just a cute gimmick. Also, fuck Disney.
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711HuntrezzHatefullMMOExposedAgent_JosephCryomatrixPanzerbeorne39
    I'm still getting SWG flashbacks from Mandalorian.  They are doing a great job and I anticipate a lot of Star Wars movies and future TV shows copying the shows style.  Which could be a good thing as I loved the fan made SWG player stories that were made during the MMO's run.  

One of my characters was a doctor in SWG and it was fun to setup shop in a hospital and talk with the players as I healed them. :smile:

Lots of side story fan videos were made.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1bbtyHLdnE
    HatefullAgent_Joseph

One thing about the TV show.  Were Jedi so rare at that time that so few people even knew what they were?  I'd have no problem with no Jedi appearing in the series at all but I have a feeling they're just saving them for later.
    Huntrezz

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758
    edited December 2019
    I didn't recognise his name but the bad guy in the Tie fighter at the end of episode eight has to be a Jedi from the Dark Side.