Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brad has passed away. :(

MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245
It's all over FB.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/pantheonrotf/

It is with deep regret and profound sadness that we share that Brad McQuaid, Chief Creative Officer of Visionary Realms passed away in his home last night.

Brad was a visionary, a mentor, an artist, a trailblazer, a friend, a husband, a father. He touched thousands of lives with his dreams and concepts. He changed the landscape of video games forever. He will be deeply missed and forever remembered in life and in Pantheon.

Thank you, Brad, for bringing us together through your worlds. Rest in peace, Aradune.

All of us at Visionary Realms offer our deepest condolences to Brad’s family and during this most difficult time, we kindly ask that you respect the privacy of Brad’s family.

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
  • GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    So sad.  I'm disheartened.
    delete5230
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    He was young. So sorry to hear this. Condolences to his family.
    Scot
    Chamber of Chains
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    He made the best game ever, EVERQUEST. 

Any idea if he was ill? This is such a shock.
    delete5230cheyane

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Holy shit! I came here soon as I read about this.
    How!? Why!? Whats that mean for Pantheon then?
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    kitarad said:
    He made the best game ever, EVERQUEST. 

Any idea if he was ill? This is such a shock.
    I followed Brad throughout his career, and I suspect he suffered from chronic depression.
    I let you do the maths.

He always came across like a troubled soul.
    May rest in peace wherever he is now.
  • GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446
    Kayo83 said:
    I thought Brad was a nice guy and I had talked with him a couple of times  (And what I'm saying here is not a slam on him as a person.)  However, I don't see his passing a bad thing for Pantheon.  Him being at the helm might not have been the best thing as some of his visions were a bit on the outlandish side and although some of his ideas were "neat" but were just bad gaming mechanics that are too difficult to process.  So with him gone some of those ideas might get scrapped which might be a benefit to the game overall.
    Gdemami
  • SheawannaSheawanna Member UncommonPosts: 8
    He believed In worlds not Games .. Here's to Pantheon A new world for us all 
    Amathe
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    edited November 2019
    Geeky said:
    Kayo83 said:
    I thought Brad was a nice guy and I had talked with him a couple of times  (And what I'm saying here is not a slam on him as a person.)  However, I don't see his passing a bad thing for Pantheon.  Him being at the helm might not have been the best thing as some of his visions were a bit on the outlandish side and although some of his ideas were "neat" but were just bad gaming mechanics that are too difficult to process.  So with him gone some of those ideas might get scrapped which might be a benefit to the game overall.
    On the contrary. Hes one of few developers who seem to get what made MMOs great in the first place and had great ideas to not only bring the genre back to its roots but also modernize it more. Luckily he was very involved in the development of the game and had been leading the team long enough to where they should be able to bring his vision through to the end. Even so, his experience working on games, and MMOs in particular, is very valuable to any team. However his loss is a pretty big hit to future developments well. Who knows who'll end up taking the reigns now or what his philosophy toward MMO's is. Or worse, without him, investors can dry up or big ticket investors can pull out (assuming its possible). Much easier to convince a would be investor to fund the games development if one of the creators of Everquest is the one asking and leading the project.

Obviously I hope all goes well so his game can live on. 

Pretty bummed about whole thing. Be awesome is VR pays tribute by making Aradune a permanent NPC in Terminus.

EDIT: Anyone know how it happened yet? I didnt keep up to date on everything but this seemed to come suddenly out of no where. Never read anything about him being sick
    Post edited by Kayo83 on
    Gdemami
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited November 2019
    I read somewhere he was moving a couch from one part of the house to the other for his wife. Maybe it caused a probelm. Another thing I read was they were doing an autopsy. I don't know if any of it was true.
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    For those who wish to offer their condolences, Brad's Wife would like to hear from his fans. 

you may send cards to the following address:‬

‪McQuaid Memorial‬
    ‪C/O Michelle Butler‬
    ‪13446 Poway Road, Box 227‬
    ‪Poway, CA 92064‬

The cards and letters will be displayed at his service. 

SovrathkitaradAmatheKyleran
    For all those who wish to offer a final farewell to Brad McQuaid, his service will be held Tuesday, December 17, 3:00pm PST. So make sure if you want to send your condolences, do it before this time. 

His family has also opened the service to the public, so anyone can attend if they wish. 

Bernardo Heights Country Club 
    16066 Bernardo Heights Parkway 
    San Diego, California 

If you do want to go, make sure you RSVP here :

https://www.facebook.com/events/742015972973840/
    AmatheKyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited December 2019
    Hmm, wonder if anyone will try to attend "in costume/character?"

If it was OK with his wife/ family I think it would be pretty awesome.

Kumapon

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bng28bng28 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Kyleran said:
    Hmm, wonder if anyone will try to attend "in costume/character?"

If it was OK with his wife/ family I think it would be pretty awesome.

I think there would almost be no greater tribute.
    Kyleran
    For those that missed it. Here are some clips from Brad's service last Tuesday. 

Amathe