Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pearl Abyss Reveals New Images & Details for PLAN 8, Exosuit MMO shooter - MMORPG.com News

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imagePearl Abyss Reveals New Images & Details for PLAN 8, Exosuit MMO shooter - MMORPG.com News

We have some new info about Pearl Abyss' PLAN 8, their upcoming exosuit MMO shooter.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Pearl Abyss about to do the impossible. They are going to move the genre foward all by them selves. 3 AAA mmos coming and they are all totally different.
    fearuGdemamiLife2vAeandergastovski1alkarionlogRemali
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 555

Mikeha said:

Pearl Abyss about to do the impossible. They are going to move the genre foward all by them selves. 3 AAA mmos coming and they are all totally different.

Keep in mind too they own CCP and EVE Online now. So it'll be interesting to see exactly how they move forward with that IP as well.
    MikehafearuKyleran
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Maybe Pearl Abyss can get World of Darkness back into development or does CCP not own the rights for it anymore?
    fearu
  • MythlaMythla Member UncommonPosts: 25
    As long as they take their gameplay cues from Anthem, not Warframe, this should be interesting.
    3domguy232
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I remember when we saw the first videos of BDO, then the game launched. I shall remain the pessimist till launch.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• CitizenX007CitizenX007 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Nice graphics! When's the release date for this...5, 6, 7 years from now?
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Gear enhancement seems ripe for a nice cash shop
    AlbatroesLife2vgastovski1
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited December 2019
    Gear enhancement seems ripe for a nice cash shop

Yeah, Crimson Desert honestly just sounds like a way for them to double dip. There isn't even really any actual information on it, just a cinematic and some screenshots that look like they were just cut from Black Desert. Lets not forget that one of their "big four" was also that shadow arena which was already out before, just 'tweaked.' Then we have Doke V which everyone is just assuming with be a pokemon game yet forgetting those are just gacha games which can make MASSIVE amounts of money hiding pets and whatever behind RNG, which of course can be 'mitigated' for a price. Keep in mind, graphics is the least of Black Deserts list, usually being heralded as one of the best looking games of the current genre. Its all the other garbage which is hurting that game, which of course they aren't mentioning.
  • mandark91mandark91 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    edited December 2019
    They have one of the most aggressive monetization techniques. I remember when I opened a forum thread showing how they use bitcoin miner in AFK activities in BDO (such as fishing) and nobody believed it and 5 months later they bought a lot of coin exchange websites and dumped their coins to buy more IP and develop more games in this direction. The awful thing is that they do so by creating different companies each time so for instance, while I am a gamer and I hated this, I also wanted to invest in them and bank on the stock price but unfortunately, they create new companies for each little type of package/revenue method they will milk. If you trace their activity you will see they own a shitload of IP with their subsidiary companies not only in PC gaming but especially in mobile gaming. I actually expect to see them buyout a lot of other companies on the next economic crisis and become an even worse evil than EA. But hey, as long as we can be a good sheep and keep eating their grass, they will not have a reason to change.
    PalebaneKyleran
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited December 2019
    Probably because I never engaged in the PvP I played happily without investing any real cash with the exception of the monthly pack for my extra inventory and some bank space. I was only interested in my worker empire and trading. I really enjoyed BDO but my experience is definitely not the norm.

I do realise that most people were mad with the RNG and the awful gear upgrading system that drained your cash. Thankfully I never participated in it so I have only praises for the game I played.
    cheyaneLife2vSovrathPalebane

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

lotrlore said:

Mikeha said:

Keep in mind too they own CCP and EVE Online now. So it'll be interesting to see exactly how they move forward with that IP as well.

I.....didn't know that. That is very interesting.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    kitarad said:
    Probably because I never engaged in the PvP I played happily without investing any real cash with the exception of the monthly pack for my extra inventory and some bank space. I was only interested in my worker empire and trading. I really enjoyed BDO but my experience is definitely not the norm.

I do realise that most people were mad with the RNG and the awful gear upgrading system that drained your cash. Thankfully I never participated in it so I have only praises for the game I played.
    I too was more interested in horse breeding, trading and trying to get more resources going with my workers harvesting and making things and don't forget the beer. Beer the all important currency.
    Palebane
    Chamber of Chains
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Mikeha said:
    And they'll all be boring, pay to win trash. Just like Black Desert.
    Gdemami
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited December 2019
    No, it's not part of crowdfunded, whale-driven gravy train. These devs actually have bosses telling them to work hard and shit.
    Kyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    kitarad said:

yeah, I never used cash so I could take part in that system. And quite frankly, just don't do it. Whenever they give away freebie stuff I just sell it, save up, and buy my equipment of the AH. I figure what I lose in "in game money" trying to upgrade gear I can just put toward "actual gear."
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    edited December 2019
    Didn't expect such a waste as FPS game from PearlAbyss which makes fortunes out of third-person game.
    Iselin

Thank you for your time!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    3dom said:
    FPS game with third-person screenshots - false advertisement business as usual.
    Does anyone actually use "TPS" to distinguish them?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Iselin said:
    3dom said:
    FPS game with third-person screenshots - false advertisement business as usual.
    Does anyone actually use "TPS" to distinguish them?
    TPS is a genre label. So... yes. It's just that TPS games are rather unfortunately less common. A pity, as I much prefer them.
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135

Iselin said:

No, it's not part of crowdfunded, whale-driven gravy train. These devs actually have bosses telling them to work hard and shit.

So it will come out fast but it will bad. I get it. Pushy bosses, unrealistic dates and extreme greed. What can go wrong?

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited December 2019

Spiider said:

Iselin said:

So it will come out fast but it will bad. I get it. Pushy bosses, unrealistic dates and extreme greed. What can go wrong?

If only pot luck was every day.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• BalianWolfieBalianWolfie Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Saw the video, then I realize, is it really complete different genre?

I think PA made their own genre: random MMORPG with same engine and the whole setup blows up your pc setting with excessive bloom and effect, and random cut-ins, with a profitable cashshop and milking players with each new content/features release.

So yes, great company that pushes the genre forward, I'm so excited to see PA dominates the market as a whole. Can't wait for Korean dict*****SHIP. TY very much for reading my two cents.
    Gdemami

• VirrukVirruk Member UncommonPosts: 8
    The immense amount of negative feedback for BDO kept me from trying it for so long. I finally tried it ~6-8months ago and still (very stereotypically) mostly AFK fish, but I love it. I love the world they made, and recommend anyone who likes MMOs to give it a try. You can avoid the cash shop. I've spent roughly $150 on it over the past 8 months which was mostly on pets. It's crazy how expensive they are, but I got what I wanted and I've sunk many hours into the game and think the amount I spent is fair for how much fun I've gotten out of it. I've just managed to have fun while mostly avoiding the systems people despise - which I think is important to reiterate like others have that you CAN do.

I look forward to these other games by them, even if they do have shady systems in place to take advantage - be an educated consumer, don't fall into the traps. I've debated getting a tent thing in BDO which is like $45 for most of the time I've been playing, but haven't yet because I haven't deemed it worth it (I haven't gone heavy into grinding PvE wise) - exercise self-control, just like irl. My two cents.
    RemaliKyleran
  • CitizenX007CitizenX007 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    I had a free trial for Black Desert Online but never got to use it. The game would crash about every 7-10 seconds thus preventing me from actually playing it. I sent a ticket in but never got a response...I checked the support page on the forum and found hundreds upon hundreds of these kinds of experiences - the support sub-forum has 10's of thousands of posts; that should be a red flag for anyone smart enough to understand what they're looking at. The only good thing about BDO, in my opinion, was the character creation interface, which was excellent.

I will wait 'til there's a free 2-week trial for 'Plan 8' and make my determination at that time...I'm not a fan of microtransactions, so that's an automatic 2-strikes against it. We'll see.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Virruk said:
    The immense amount of negative feedback for BDO kept me from trying it for so long. I finally tried it ~6-8months ago and still (very stereotypically) mostly AFK fish, but I love it. I love the world they made, and recommend anyone who likes MMOs to give it a try. You can avoid the cash shop. I've spent roughly $150 on it over the past 8 months which was mostly on pets. It's crazy how expensive they are, but I got what I wanted and I've sunk many hours into the game and think the amount I spent is fair for how much fun I've gotten out of it. I've just managed to have fun while mostly avoiding the systems people despise - which I think is important to reiterate like others have that you CAN do. 

I look forward to these other games by them, even if they do have shady systems in place to take advantage - be an educated consumer, don't fall into the traps. I've debated getting a tent thing in BDO which is like $45 for most of the time I've been playing, but haven't yet because I haven't deemed it worth it (I haven't gone heavy into grinding PvE wise) - exercise self-control, just like irl. My two cents.
    A sub only game costs $180 a year if paid monthly, less if purchased annually.

So in 8 months you have spent almost a years worth, plus have intentionally gimped yourself by not buying the tent.

Yet you view yourself as the "wise" consumer exercising self control. 

Lulz..

The true evil genius of Pearl Abyss's monetization model is how many people believe they aren't being taken advantage of.

Regardless of whether one PVPs or not doesn't deny the fact the RNG is absolutely predatory and can't be just excused with, "welp" doesn't impact me.

Well, not if people are being honest...which they rarely are.

Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon