Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VR Headsets Sold Out.

ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
Seems Amazon has sold out of both Oculus Rift S, Quest and the Valve Index. This is a good sign for the progression of PC gaming. I know some push that VR is dead or gimicky. Seems they are wrong.

VR MMO here we come!... and I mean a real VR MMO.
Phaserlight

Comments

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Arterius said:
    I mean I think its to early to say. I don't think this would be happening if not for Half-Life Alyx nor do we know the exact numbers sold. For all we know Amazon only had 50 of each.

Come on. This is Amazon that we are talking about. They had at least 100 of each.
    [Deleted User]gervaise1cameltosisAsheram
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    edited December 2019
    Seems Amazon has sold out of both Oculus Rift S, Quest and the Valve Index. This is a good sign for the progression of PC gaming. I know some push that VR is dead or gimicky. Seems they are wrong.

VR MMO here we come!... and I mean a real VR MMO.
    Selling out doesn't have anything to do with popularity, it has to do with supply.

If I'm selling 20 tacos and 2 people come and buy 20 tacos, I have 0 tacos. 

The Oculus Quest is also a standalone system, which doesn't require a PC. Not really a good sign for PC gaming, as all along the highest selling VR sets have been traditionally mobile.

In fact, Microsoft mentioned that people aren't asking for VR anymore, which is why the new console hasn't announced VR support. 
    [Deleted User]gervaise1TillerPhaserlightfearu

Arterius said:
    I mean I think its to early to say. I don't think this would be happening if not for Half-Life Alyx nor do we know the exact numbers sold. For all we know Amazon only had 50 of each.

Come on. This is Amazon that we are talking about. They had at least 100 of each.
     That's not true. Supply and demand, they only carry however many people are buying. We can't ever know how much of an item amazon has in stock.

They aren't all sold out either. Some of them are from 3rd party sellers. Many times people buy entire stocks out just to resell them for more. This is a common thing that was done when VR first released.  You can still buy each of these devices off of amazon.

• JaimlJaiml Member UncommonPosts: 130
    I had to scramble to purchase a Rift S this week...  Yes, I waited too long.  All box stores within a 250 mile radius were out.  Newegg out. Lenovo Out. Walmart Out. Best Buy Out. Microsoft Stores Out.  Yes, Amazon Out. 

The only place that had stock on Monday was Oculus.  Now their site says shipping by December 30th.  I don't know how many units have been sold, but I'd say they are having a good year on VR headsets.  The Quest is listed as shipping on January 31st.

Side note:  My unit will arrive on Saturday.

VR has a long way to go before it becomes a real gaming platform but they are doing some cool things with it.  I'm looking forward to someone providing a true gaming experience soon.  It just needs someone to come up with a breakthrough idea.  The same style of game we currently play on a PC with a mouse will not work with this.  We need new ideas.  I don't have them.  I wonder who will?
    ultimateduck
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Jaiml said:
    I had to scramble to purchase a Rift S this week...  Yes, I waited too long.  All box stores within a 250 mile radius were out.  Newegg out. Lenovo Out. Walmart Out. Best Buy Out. Microsoft Stores Out.  Yes, Amazon Out. 

The only place that had stock on Monday was Oculus.  Now their site says shipping by December 30th.  I don't know how many units have been sold, but I'd say they are having a good year on VR headsets.  The Quest is listed as shipping on January 31st.

VR has a long way to go before it becomes a real gaming platform but they are doing some cool things with it.  I'm looking forward to someone providing a true gaming experience soon.  It just needs someone to come up with a breakthrough idea.  The same style of game we currently play on a PC with a mouse will not work with this.  We need new ideas.  I don't have them.  I wonder who will?
    Even when I bought my rift S the store I was at only had 1 in stock and they were afraid it wasn't actually in the back and this was a few months ago. I'm sure the demand wasn't insane, so the stores only carry a certain amount, that paired with the holidays, paired with the half life announcement probably shifted way more than normal. 
    maskedweasel
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited December 2019
    Actually the VR industry has been struggling in recent months as multiple articles on this professionally oriented game news site attest to.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/vr

One of the more notable, if industry giants remain unconvinced, there's no real traction yet.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-11-28-phil-spencer-nobodys-asking-for-vr-on-xbox
    maskedweaselgervaise1

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Until we get haptic gear that is usable and affordable VR will stay in the realms of cool tech gear and nothing more.
    JaimlKylerancameltosischeeba
  • CitizenX007CitizenX007 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    I've been a big promoter of VR gaming for decades...and I've been dreaming of a very high quality VR MMO for years. Unfortunately, we won't be seeing any of those for at least a decade, and probably alot longer than that. Mainly because a full-blown VR system doesn't exist yet - all we have is the HMD and head tracking, that's about it. Oh, sure, big corporations like Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft have patents on some cool VR-related technologies but they're not going to develop them, much less release them, for a very long time; why would they? Y'all are buying their mediocre crap right now - to the tune of billions every year - why would they give you something ultra-cool , like VR, when they can just continue to sell you their low-end/mediocre crap indefinitely?

At any rate, it would take a huge development team - numbering in the thousands - many years, and several billion dollars, to develop a VR MMO...it ain't gonna happen any time soon.

/flame-shield
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited December 2019

At any rate, it would take a huge development team - numbering in the thousands - many years, and several billion dollars, to develop a VR MMO...it ain't gonna happen any time soon.

/flame-shield
    Err, aren't there already several VR capable MMOs / multiplayer games including Elite Dangerous, No Man's Sky and Vendetta Online, all created by small dev teams?

Granted, space games so easier to do I guess, though NMS has avatar / ground based action so perhaps VR isn't so much as difficult as just not viewed all that profitable.
    Phaserlight

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    It seems whenever someone brings up VR on this site, a lot of people chime in acting as if they have factual knowledge when they actually have very little knowledge

There are a lot of VR titles that are actual games, from standard PC games that were made VR capable to VR specific titles. Saying there aren't games or that HL sparked sales is completely false. Boneworks, Azgards Wrath and Stormland are three new VR specific titles that are full fledged games. Star Trek Bridge Crew, From other Suns, Robo Recall, Beatsaber, Lone Echo are great games. Racing and flight simulators are unparalleled in VR. Elite Dangerous, Skyrim, The Forest, No Mans Sky are all VR capable. Walking Dead and Half Life are just examples of a growing genre of gaming.

Between 2018 and mid 2019, over ten million VR headsets were sold. I'm pretty sure they were expecting a decent size push in VR sales going into the Christmas season. The fact that they still sold out is a good sign. Acting like it was a few hundred or thousand headsets is an oddly ignorant stance.

Augmented reality is near dead, especially in terms of gaming. VR is growing at an alarming rate. The Xbox thing is little more than short sightedness. PSVR has sold millions of units, and every unit sold all but guarantees at least one game purchase.
    Jaiml said:

I find it hard to log into non-VR games. It takes a few days to get accustomed to playing VR for any kind of duration, but once you do it's hard to play anything else.

Even if a new, AAA VR MMO isn't in the cards in the foreseeable future, I hope they make existing MMOs VR capable.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Jaiml said:

I find it hard to log into non-VR games. It takes a few days to get accustomed to playing VR for any kind of duration, but once you do it's hard to play anything else.

Even if a new, AAA VR MMO isn't in the cards in the foreseeable future, I hope they make existing MMOs VR capable.
    While not AAA there's Orbus VR and I backed a game on KS That looks interesting, a cyber-punk style mmo called Zenith.
    ultimateduck
    Kyleran said:
    Actually the VR industry has been struggling in recent months as multiple articles on this professionally oriented game news site attest to.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/vr

One of the more notable, if industry giants remain unconvinced, there's no real traction yet.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-11-28-phil-spencer-nobodys-asking-for-vr-on-xbox
    Industry giants?  Xbox is the weakest of every platform for gaming this generation, including the switch.  Nobody is asking for VR on Xbox because nobody cares about Xbox.  Meanwhile Playstation is the industry leader in console gaming this cycle and is fully invested in VR with a PSVR 2.0 expected to go with the PS5 (not necessarily releasing at the same time).
    ultimateduck
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I can't wait to play Super Mario RPG in VR!

Critting for extra damage will be awesome.

Gut Out!
    ultimateduck

What, me worry?

Jaiml said:

While not AAA there's Orbus VR and I backed a game on KS That looks interesting, a cyber-punk style mmo called Zenith.

Orbus is always on the back burner for me. While I don't generally put too much stock in graphics, I can't get past the Wii style graphics that Orbus has. I really want to try it and I love to support VR titles that are pushing for new things, but I'm pretty wrapped up in Stormland at the moment.

Jaiml said:

Orbus is always on the back burner for me. While I don't generally put too much stock in graphics, I can't get past the Wii style graphics that Orbus has. I really want to try it and I love to support VR titles that are pushing for new things, but I'm pretty wrapped up in Stormland at the moment.

I have been busy lately so that's helped me avoid buying boneworks.....but I'll end up getting it soon I bet lol.
    ultimateduck
    Kyleran said:

/flame-shield
    Err, aren't there already several VR capable MMOs / multiplayer games including Elite Dangerous, No Man's Sky and Vendetta Online, all created by small dev teams?

Granted, space games so easier to do I guess, though NMS has avatar / ground based action so perhaps VR isn't so much as difficult as just not viewed all that profitable.
    I've never heard of those games...I assume that they take advantage of the VR HMD and head-tracking, as I mentioned? They offer nothing else, though, isn't that correct? For example, you can't look down and see your arms and body in those games, right? It would require very sophisticated multithreaded software to be able to do that...not to mention a very powerful computer to run it. Plus, without an actual haptic device, ie a "Cyberglove", there is no way to interact with your environment in a believable way...which contributes to Cybersickness. Cybersickness is one of the main impediments right now...our computers aren't fast enough at present to allow for extended play times.

At any rate, the games that you mentioned aren't VR games at all, they are simulations of what VR might be like - visually - in the distant future.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Sold out head sets are one little data point. It's enough to build hope on, but not enough to prove anything. CVS ran out of Flintstone vitamins in my neighborhood recently. I'm not sure that portends a flavored multivitamin revival of any kind.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]Octagon7711

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Kyleran said:

/flame-shield

I've never heard of those games...I assume that they take advantage of the VR HMD and head-tracking, as I mentioned? They offer nothing else, though, isn't that correct? For example, you can't look down and see your arms and body in those games, right? It would require very sophisticated multithreaded software to be able to do that...not to mention a very powerful computer to run it. Plus, without an actual haptic device, ie a "Cyberglove", there is no way to interact with your environment in a believable way...which contributes to Cybersickness. Cybersickness is one of the main impediments right now...our computers aren't fast enough at present to allow for extended play times.

At any rate, the games that you mentioned aren't VR games at all, they are simulations of what VR might be like - visually - in the distant future.

Here is a good example of someone speaking who clearly doesn't know anything about VR (as you pretty much admit).

Yes, in many of the examples given you can look down and see your body and arms. You can interact with the environment without haptic gloves due the fact that the controllers are touch sensitive (they recognize your finger is on a button even if you aren't pressing it).

Cybersickness?... you mean locomotion or motion sickness? This has been addressed in many ways but goes away after the first few days of limited gameplay (if not sooner). A powerful computer? My computer isn't very powerful... it's a 3 year old i7 with a 1080 founders video card and 16gb ram, but VR only requires an i5 with a 1060... something you'd know if you so much as visited the site.

Without putting on a VR headset, which you clearly haven't, you wouldn't know if they are actually VR games (which they are)... yet here you are talking out of your ass.

The question begs to be asked... why?

Why come here and talk down on something you clearly have no experience with? Why open your mouth in ignorance? What do you have to gain by wasting your time posting a comment on a subject in which you have zero knowledge in?
    edited December 2019
    It seems whenever someone brings up VR on this site, a lot of people chime in acting as if they have factual knowledge when they actually have very little knowledge

There are a lot of VR titles that are actual games, from standard PC games that were made VR capable to VR specific titles. Saying there aren't games or that HL sparked sales is completely false. Boneworks, Azgards Wrath and Stormland are three new VR specific titles that are full fledged games. Star Trek Bridge Crew, From other Suns, Robo Recall, Beatsaber, Lone Echo are great games. Racing and flight simulators are unparalleled in VR. Elite Dangerous, Skyrim, The Forest, No Mans Sky are all VR capable. Walking Dead and Half Life are just examples of a growing genre of gaming.

Between 2018 and mid 2019, over ten million VR headsets were sold. I'm pretty sure they were expecting a decent size push in VR sales going into the Christmas season. The fact that they still sold out is a good sign. Acting like it was a few hundred or thousand headsets is an oddly ignorant stance.

Augmented reality is near dead, especially in terms of gaming. VR is growing at an alarming rate. The Xbox thing is little more than short sightedness. PSVR has sold millions of units, and every unit sold all but guarantees at least one game purchase.
    Augmented reality is near dead? Is that why AR games, most notably Pokemon Go, is currently creating AR integration with new AR headsets set to release next year?  Currently AR and MR software is extremely close to the revenue of VR and is projected to surpass it by 2021, which is pretty sad seeing as how VR has had nearly a 6 year lead time on it. 

VR headsets sold doesn't mean much either. The vast majority of headsets sold have been mobile based phone integrated sets. PSVR has sold maybe 5 million sets so far, if that. We know they released numbers  this year in march of 4.2M.  I wouldn't call that wide adoption seeing as how they have over 100M systems on the market. This isn't broad adoption, this is a borderline failure. 

Of the non-mobile consumer headsets, PSVR is the winner by a large margin too. I wouldn't say, worldwide, that VR has made an impact, nearly at all.
    ultimateduck

edited December 2019

Augmented reality is near dead? Is that why AR games, most notably Pokemon Go, is currently creating AR integration with new AR headsets set to release next year?  Currently AR and MR software is extremely close to the revenue of VR and is projected to surpass it by 2021, which is pretty sad seeing as how VR has had nearly a 6 year lead time on it. 

VR headsets sold doesn't mean much either. The vast majority of headsets sold have been mobile based phone integrated sets. PSVR has sold maybe 5 million sets so far, if that. We know they released numbers  this year in march of 4.2M.  I wouldn't call that wide adoption seeing as how they have over 100M systems on the market. This isn't broad adoption, this is a borderline failure. 

Of the non-mobile consumer headsets, PSVR is the winner by a large margin too. I wouldn't say, worldwide, that VR has made an impact, nearly at all.

I don't know if I would consider augmented reality or mixed reality a game that runs off a phone or switch... but if it makes you feel better, have at it. I simply meant the AR/MR glasses weren't doing well.

A vast majority of headsets are not mobile based integrated. Very few HMDs sold are the ones that use a phone. Most are Oculus Rift S, Oculus Quest, Valve Index and PSVR. The Oculus Go and HTC sell a few, but nothing like the ones listed. Last I read, Oculus was the number one VR headset sold.

I don't know if I would consider augmented reality or mixed reality a game that runs off a phone or switch... but if it makes you feel better, have at it. I simply meant the AR/MR glasses weren't doing well.

A vast majority of headsets are not mobile based integrated. Very few HMDs sold are the ones that use a phone. Most are Oculus Rift S, Oculus Quest, Valve Index and PSVR. The Oculus Go and HTC sell a few, but nothing like the ones listed. Last I read, Oculus was the number one VR headset sold.
    lol, in 2017 gear VR had sold over 5M units, that's more than PSVR sold. Current year estimates are down by nearly 75% in 2019. Which means that Gear VR sets alone still sold about 25% of what PSVR did, give or take a little bit, but their lead is so large at this point, just now are sets starting to catch up. No what I mean is.. just now is Sony starting to catch up... no other sets are even close. That doesn't take into account any other sets sold either. Most people who wanted mobile VR have it. Half the time the sets are given away promotionally now.

And AR hardware has low sales because no true consumer set has released. We've had consumer VR sets for over half a decade now. 

Kyleran said:

/flame-shield

Here is a good example of someone speaking who clearly doesn't know anything about VR (as you pretty much admit).

Yes, in many of the examples given you can look down and see your body and arms. You can interact with the environment without haptic gloves due the fact that the controllers are touch sensitive (they recognize your finger is on a button even if you aren't pressing it).

Cybersickness?... you mean locomotion or motion sickness? This has been addressed in many ways but goes away after the first few days of limited gameplay (if not sooner). A powerful computer? My computer isn't very powerful... it's a 3 year old i7 with a 1080 founders video card and 16gb ram, but VR only requires an i5 with a 1060... something you'd know if you so much as visited the site.

Without putting on a VR headset, which you clearly haven't, you wouldn't know if they are actually VR games (which they are)... yet here you are talking out of your ass.

Why come here and talk down on something you clearly have no experience with? Why open your mouth in ignorance? What do you have to gain by wasting your time posting a comment on a subject in which you have zero knowledge in?

Show me the videos of someone looking at their body in VR game; wiggling their fingers, precisely/intentionally pressing buttons, performing martial arts moves, etc..
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Kyleran said:

/flame-shield

Thank you, kind sir!  I play a VR MMO by the name of Vendetta Online quite frequently:

https://www.pcgamer.com/vendetta-online-is-the-first-mmo-to-get-oculus-rift-support/

Kyleran said:

/flame-shield

Show me the videos of someone looking at their body in VR game; wiggling their fingers, precisely/intentionally pressing buttons, performing martial arts moves, etc..

Close enough?
    [Deleted User]

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited December 2019
    [Deleted User]

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.