Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft - Level Squish And Other Ideas - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageWorld of Warcraft - Level Squish And Other Ideas - MMORPG.com

One of the major features coming with the new Shadowlands expansion is the level squish and revamp of how leveling works. Reducing the level cap back down to 60 will fix some more of the issues but if things keep going the way they have been since BC, we’ll eventually have the same problem all over again. Join Robin as she breaks down her thoughts on how to fix the issues with WoW's leveling for the long term.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Tykam123Tykam123 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    I was thinking about this the other day. The level cap should remain 60, and each expansion the player is made a 50 again. Shadowlands is added to the list of available expansions people can choose through Chromie, and 50-60 will always be the newest expansion.
    ArleeMaddog666Octagon7711MyrdynnkinkyJalepenoScotPsym0nmoguy1
  • ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355
    I like the idea of each alt playing through an expansion
    Grakulen[Deleted User]Maddog666Myrdynn
  • WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    edited December 2019
    This is a terrible idea. It will fragment the leveling population even more and make the game even more solo than it already is. I for one like lots of levels. Don't remove the levels, reduce the amount of grind to get up there with a buddy system, or less xp required to level, or cheaper heroic character purchase, etc.
    sacredcow4kinkyJalepeno
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    The problem with leveling in WoW is not how long it is. It's that it's awful. Everything is scaled to be far too weak for you, so mobs basically stand there waiting to die while only nominally fighting back. It doesn't matter if it's 120 levels of awfulness or 60. It's set up so that if you're not already near the level cap, there's no point in picking up the game. That's what they need to fix. And doing so could probably be as simple as scaling things up so that mobs are stronger.
    [Deleted User]
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    If they pull another BfA level squish is the least of the problems.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    this is a really cool idea I think
  • vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398

Tykam123 said:

I was thinking about this the other day. The level cap should remain 60, and each expansion the player is made a 50 again. Shadowlands is added to the list of available expansions people can choose through Chromie, and 50-60 will always be the newest expansion.

This is how it should work going forward
  • vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 398
    The main thing I as for is Please for the LOVE OF GOD make the landscape mobs somewhat difficult. The main problem with leveling is that it is way, way too easy. That makes gearing up while leveling pointless because mobs are no challenge. Honestly my favorite part of Wow classic is that the mobs are dangerous (except for the dungeon mobs, which are too easy)
  • RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    At this point, I think there isn't much they can do.  While Shadowlands may renew some of that desire to play retail, I think they're just backing themselves into yet another corner.

Classic though may be their best option.  Slowly expand on that and release the new expansions, but don't:
    A) Simplify the game they way they did with the subsequent expansions
    B) Increase leveling with each new release to get players into said expansion.  End game isn't the "end all be all".  End game players will certainly rush to cap anyways, so it doesn't matter if it takes them 1 or 2 days or a few weeks to reach the new cap.  They'll do it.
    C) Screw raid finder, and part of me wants to say screw group finder.  I've done more socializing in the last month or so in Classic than I've done in every expansion since those accursed features went in.

My 2 Copper
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407
    Instead of adding more levels in whatever the next expansion is, they could just find alternate means of progressing your character. It needn't be vertical progression.
    aRtFuLThinG
  • AureltAurelt Member UncommonPosts: 64
    For me WoW is like a single player game. I love it because of the story. I care about lore so with each expansion I like to play around, experience the story, to see what's next in store. no new content? ok there are another cool games out there. I quit. The patch comes up - resub again. If im not bored and I like new armors I play a little longer, do the raids, pvp and then quiting again. with each expansion - same. So I don't agree with anything been said in the article or the comments. its not 2008 anymore that you have to dedicate your life to one single game. This is a game and it plays like a game. its enough for me.
    And usually when I decide to take a gaming holidays. for example no job for the whole month. I play wow. there is so much to do in the game outside of relevant content. collectibles, arenas, collecting transmogs. and with classic and the new leveling system the game will be even better.
    All in all if you are like me - there's enough in the game to enjoy it for a week or a month or two each year.
    In general it's not WoW's fault that there are systems that will never work anymore. it's an old game. and it's your fault people. they make new expansions because of yall. every mmorpg face the same problems if it's that good to survive for 10-20 years. Dont stick around in the same game for 15 years and we will see NEW AAA mmo's. since nobody want's to leave these 2-3 AAA games. nobody want's to develop a new one. It's a business at the end of the day.
  • calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300
    What I never understood is why add 10 levels and then add a grind for weapons or jewels on top of that?

Really they could have forgone the level increase in Legion and BfA because they had a progression system tied to the weapons and the necklace. Having that system on top of getting 10 levels just seems like pointless redundancy.

Also they should have increased each expansion only 5 levels if they are going that route like they did for cataclysm and MoP. I would rather 5 levels with intricate zones and something given to me each level up than getting something every 3 levels and have more levels.
    Arlee

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

Coldmeat said:

Instead of adding more levels in whatever the next expansion is, they could just find alternate means of progressing your character. It needn't be vertical progression.

Agreed. EQ did it with Alternate Advancements. At the very least, it would help slow the progression of increasing levels by adding additional ways to advance/improve your character.

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    First of all the scaling idea was HORRIBLE,just another fact that the Wow Blizzard team doesn't know what it is doing.
    The fix is easy ,takes two parts,LOSE the free xp for doing stupid easy quests,actually remove xp from quests altogether,it does not make sense,does not belong in the game.

If they used a MUCH better character customization design,one similar to other games multi class system,it creates a much more diverse player,more options,low zones remain populated and gives reason for players to enjoy leveling knowing their player is constantly improving with more options.

Instead Blizzard takes ROLE playing game,removes as much immersion as possible,caters to non rpg gamer's by sticking everyone in instances doing gear grinds.

Ask a Blizzard rep what a RPG should be about ,what the 3 letters stand for and you'll understand why they do such a bad job designing one.

Then what i think happens is so many think people are just "haters" i see that nonsense spewed around a LOT,how about NO ,i simply hate BAD game design.Bottom line is that Wow is too entrenched in too many facets of design,it would need an entire overhaul of the game design which would never happen,so they are looking for cheap easy fixes.
    natpickwaveslayer

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.