Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Survival MMO or an MMORPG?

APRIMEAPRIME Member UncommonPosts: 76
Is this going to be a survival-style mmo, like ARK, or Atlas, or Conan Exiles, or a traditional MMORPG like World of Warcraft?

Comments

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    edited December 2019
    Survival MMO are lazy, doing pitches like let the players form the world, or let the players create kingdoms yadda yadda yadda, we have heard it so many times before, players cant create shit, most of the players in a survival game are hellbent on making havoc, entire guilds does, and when sead game dies due to PVE players leave, they move to another game like locust.

As I understand it the game started like a small server survival game but they seems to have changed direction to full fledged MMO, hope its gonna work.
    Chimborazooriface
  • APRIMEAPRIME Member UncommonPosts: 76
    edited December 2019
    Arterius said:
    Sounds like somewhere in between the two of them but we won't really know till January. I think they said they are going to talk about the game more then or I am thinking about another game
    Thx for the info, not a big fan of survival mmo's myself.
    Azaron_Nightblade
  • Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    edited December 2019
    It’s 1k+ players per server, open world with no instances.

I could care less what others think, that’s an mmo to me.
    Post edited by Preacher26 on
    Sovrathmgilbrtsn
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I have always noticed that players cannot police or play without destroying their own world in some open world games. They always end up driving away players and just forcing the very people they need to play with to stop playing. I would prefer there be some heavy restrictions to PvP and griefing otherwise there will be less players in a short time.
    Azaron_NightbladeMossdab
    Chamber of Chains
  • PratchettManPratchettMan Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Alpha Tester here for 5 months before the servers shut down last June.
    New World is not a suvival MMO. A survival game has hunger and thirst bars, and this game doesn't have those. You gather resources for crafting purposes, mainly to craft weapons and armor. Also, there are outposts that you can log off at and craft at. Plus, you aren't building a shelter for yourself, but you can spawn a camp as part of the Wilderness Survival skill tree. So, nope not a survival MMO.

As far as PVP, it is now a toggle, so no world PvP. This changes the entire core mechanic of the game, from where it was in Alpha.
    I would reccommend going over to the reddit thread about New World. Lots of the Alpha testers have been posting in there.
    SovrathRich84TroubleHunter
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081
    edited December 2019
    No it isn't a survival MMO, this game will be much more in line with what you'd consider a more traditional MMORPG now. The only "world" pvp there is now are sieges, pvp as a whole is opt-in and even the sieges are arguably opt-in because you could always just not participate..
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Survival MMO's are just a yawn fest for me. PvP is random and unfocused. Crafting is odd and making things that just seem everyday items. Everything you make is very temporary and if you dont have a good bunch of regular players, its also very short lived. Also survival games that would interest me, a fantasy setting. Have never made it. Also survival games seem to mostly set in the most drap conditions. I get enough drab in RL, why would I want to squallar in a game set in the dark ages? Or any other unhappy time period. I play games to escape reality and dream of being something that bard would sing songs about. Not that I finally made a bow and killed my first rabbit before I starved. Now only if I could figure out how to make a bucket with this rock and twigs I found.

MMORPG for the win!!!!!!! 
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Its just gonna be a survival game claiming to be a mmorpg like atlas because they added a few elements from that genre.

MurderHerd

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    It's a survival game, period.  The entire gameplay loop revolves around building and destroying bases.
    Gdemami
  • BellomoBellomo Member UncommonPosts: 184
    It's a survival game, period.  The entire gameplay loop revolves around building and destroying bases.

I really hope so.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    cheyane said:
    I have always noticed that players cannot police or play without destroying their own world in some open world games. They always end up driving away players and just forcing the very people they need to play with to stop playing. I would prefer there be some heavy restrictions to PvP and griefing otherwise there will be less players in a short time.
    It's because they attract every immature internet troll as their core player base.
    As touched upon by someone else on another thread, those kind of heavy restrictions like you are talking about is another reason BDO did so well in the West despite being an open world PvP game.

If the loud griefers had their way early on and the devs had listened to them about removing those restrictions, it would've quickly turned into a massive failure like the other 9/10 gankfest MMOs that go that route.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    More like Atlas.

This was supposed to be a full fledged Survival game, but half way through development the Survival genre died.
    So Amazon is patching the game to be something else.
    Exactly what, nobody knows, not even them.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well i agree survival games are sort of a lazy idea ,ALL games are made with a lazy effort.

mmorpg's SHOULD have survival games built into them,i mean your supposed to be a living character in a living world not just some robot chasing loot and ?/! over top of some npc's head.

Survival games do a MUCH better job of being a rpg than rpg's are doing however they should be doing a lot more.

Name one mmorpg you can build anywhere or build at all.Name one mmorpg you can sail around the waters on a ship you built and designed?We can also add our own mods in survival games,you cannot do that in mmorpgs,the only thing people add are cheat addons.

What we need is a mmorpg+Survival game combined and even then would likely be done half assed.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Bellomo said:

I really hope so.
    Why not just play the countless other survival games then? The only difference is the gimmicks they use.

MurderHerd

We can all agree the fps combat and destructible buildings along with sandbox free range movement is good, but the gameplay loop is tiring and stale and just results in people getting bored and quitting. DFO had fps combat and territory control right.

MurderHerd

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Wizardry said:
    Well i agree survival games are sort of a lazy idea ,ALL games are made with a lazy effort.

mmorpg's SHOULD have survival games built into them,i mean your supposed to be a living character in a living world not just some robot chasing loot and ?/! over top of some npc's head.

Survival games do a MUCH better job of being a rpg than rpg's are doing however they should be doing a lot more.

Name one mmorpg you can build anywhere or build at all.Name one mmorpg you can sail around the waters on a ship you built and designed?We can also add our own mods in survival games,you cannot do that in mmorpgs,the only thing people add are cheat addons.

What we need is a mmorpg+Survival game combined and even then would likely be done half assed.

I disagree that survival games do RPGs better, because RPGs you are suppose to be playing a role of a character in a pre-built, predetermined world. Survival games you are just a person in a world where things could happen, but may not. That's not RPG, just sandbox. Some MMORPGs don't really do the RPG part correct either, but then again when going from rpg to mmorpg you switching genres and therefore have some leeway in what would be considered rpg in that respect. But nevertheless survival games do not do anything role playing at all, though they have enough freedom someone could roleplay if they wanted to.

I'm not dissing the survival genre, just pointing out a fact.

What I want is a sandbox MMO with all the survival goodness like open world building, pvp, full loot, but with structure, laws, rules to prevent any rampant giefing and unnecessary killing of your own factions, like permanent exile, player voting systems, etc. Then add in some MMORPG elements like quests, but real quests like EQ had not the "!" Wow BS.
  • TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235
    After reading a few posts here and there including Reddit, i went from zero intention of ever touching this game ( due to it's early stage development stating that it is a full loot survival multiplayer game ) to 110% interest of playing this game,

Although it's all speculation and all that they are moving away from the typical survival game, but now that they have a set date of closed beta in April 2020, and it is now a living open non instanced world where more than 1000 players will be in the same server, and flagged PvP and non full loot game, sounds more like a proper fun MMORPG.

I hope this will be the fresh MMO we all really need in 2020.

So What Now?

• lunatislunatis Member UncommonPosts: 261
    APRIME said:
    Is this going to be a survival-style mmo, like ARK, or Atlas, or Conan Exiles, or a traditional MMORPG like World of Warcraft?

They have abandoned all survival elements of the game so no. More traditional, but with better crafting, land management, housing and wars, including having to defend your fort against as many invaders as can be.

The 50v50 wars are the basic, but anyone can hop-in and decide to help you or help the attackers, so there are many more than 100 people during a battle.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    lunatis said:
    APRIME said:

They have abandoned all survival elements of the game so no. More traditional, but with better crafting, land management, housing and wars, including having to defend your fort against as many invaders as can be.

The 50v50 wars are the basic, but anyone can hop-in and decide to help you or help the attackers, so there are many more than 100 people during a battle.

meh wait for it to launch and then we will see, before anything is just wishfull thinking and hoping they will do

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.