Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggestions for a laptop! Good battery, longevity and side-gaming.

ManasuManasu Member UncommonPosts: 212
Hey everyone! So as a college student I've decided a need a laptop for my studies/productivity, but I'd also like to be able to side-game if possible. I know laptops are not meant for heavy gaming, so I'm looking for opinions. I'm gonna use this form:

Total budget and country of purchase: My budget is 1000€ (~1.100$). I can possibly get to 1500€, but it will have to make a bid difference and be a total VFM. I'm from EU, Greece specifically. (Which means I cannot order from Wallmart and Bestbuy afaik, from a few sellers of Amazon too, while NewEgg will likely have a high VAT-Shipping price).

Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Ideally I'd like it to have a proper battery life. I'm also concerned about its "longevity", which I guess it has to do with proper cooling system, build quality and sturdiness.

How important is weight and thinness to you? Not that important.

Do you have a preferred screen size? Yes, 15.6".

Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run. I will mostly use the laptop for my college, I'm studying physics, so I don't think that there will be a program that has high requirements. I think I will mostly using programs like Wolfram, Origin etc. I'm also starting getting into programming so that would be an activity too. A good keyboard will be a big plus for me (I think one of those Eluktronics mechanical is the best regarding this?). Second most important aspect will be gaming, I'm mostly into online games (MMORPGs) and generally I don't mind setting graphics to minimum in order to get a fluid and lagless experience.

If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want? As I said I'm mostly into MMORPGs, but not into ones that are heavily graphics based (at the moment a tleast) I don't like/play BlackDesertOnline for example. I mostly care for the gameplay/features/experience and not the graphics. I love some indie 2D ones for instance. Although there are some MMOs that will release in the future and are kinda requiring afaik (New World, Magic the gathering MMO- those 2 just got more info revealed, Ashes of Creation etc). Also I'd like to be able to play games like GTA V, AS:O etc or Cyberpunk when it gets released. I don't really care for 4k high HD ultra max-graphics, I just want a smooth and pleasant experience-gameplay.

From my reaserch I've concluded to these options:  Eluktronics Mech 15, MSI GS65, Dell G5 and Aero 15. But looking for opinions or any available deals!

Thank you for reading, any input is appreciated!

Sandbox MMORPGs that are not very well-known but definitely worth a look:

Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, Xsyon, The Repopulation, UO private shards, Mortal Online, Darkfall 1 remakes (New Dawn or Rise of Agon), RPG MO, Project Gorgon, EQ: Sanctuary (custom  server)

Comments

• ManasuManasu Member UncommonPosts: 212
    edited December 2019

Ryzom, Haven and Hearth, Xsyon, The Repopulation, UO private shards, Mortal Online, Darkfall 1 remakes (New Dawn or Rise of Agon), RPG MO, Project Gorgon, EQ: Sanctuary (custom  server)
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Why do you care about the battery life?  Are you going to be essentially idle at desktop (e.g., using a simple text editor, such as for e-mail) while running the laptop on the battery?  Or do you expect to actually play games on the battery?  And just how much battery life do you want?

Can you link a site that you can readily buy from?
    Manasu
    edited December 2019
    Quizzical said:
    Why do you care about the battery life?  Are you going to be essentially idle at desktop (e.g., using a simple text editor, such as for e-mail) while running the laptop on the battery?  Or do you expect to actually play games on the battery?  And just how much battery life do you want?

I'll be needing the battery because I'll have to study in places where there are no sockets available. Practically, by studying I mean reading files (PDFs etc), browsing internet for sources, using (light) programs for computations and typing in Word/Latex. Well the typical idle stuff I guess, not something extraordinary. I do acknowledge that I'll not be able to play games without charging. About how much battery life, I haven't thought exactly how much time gonna need, but I guess atleast 4-5 hours of doing those tasks is important.

A site I can buy from is https://www.skroutz.gr, but also from many Amazon and Ebay sellers too.

Well right now the Eluktronics Mech 15 is on sale  but It doesn't ship here :(...

Also something else I just read about mechanical keyboards, is that they make a pretty much loud noise. I hope this will not be a problem for using it during lectures or at library

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    edited December 2019
    Manasu said:

Also something else I just read about mechanical keyboards, is that they make a pretty much loud noise. I hope this will not be a problem for using it during lectures or at library
    Some laptops with mechanical keyboards are too loud for a lecture. Also if you'd need to do exams with that laptop they're way too loud for a exams.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Manasu said:
    Quizzical said:

I'll be needing the battery because I'll have to study in places where there are no sockets available. Practically, by studying I mean reading files (PDFs etc), browsing internet for sources, using (light) programs for computations and typing in Word/Latex. Well the typical idle stuff I guess, not something extraordinary. I do acknowledge that I'll not be able to play games without charging. About how much battery life, I haven't thought exactly how much time gonna need, but I guess atleast 4-5 hours of doing those tasks is important.
    Do you have a computer at home?

Often it's a cheaper to just buy a 500€ laptop with good battery life that's plenty good enough for all your school work, and then spend the rest of the money upgrading your home computer so that you can run games on it.

edited December 2019
    Well, thats a bummer then. I'll have to reconsider that option if mechanical keyboards are that loud. Well yeah I do have a desktop computer at home, but it's rather old and will have to do almost an overhaul update. I've thought about this, but decided that a laptop will be a better option, as I'll be outside of my house for many hours.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    edited December 2019
    It looks like Skroutz mostly links to other web sites.  Their search options don't pass through Google Translate properly, but the site is a mix of Greek and English, with enough of the latter that I could mostly follow it.  It also helps that numbers tend to be the same in most of the world.

The best option I could find for what you requested is this:

https://www.techstores.gr/catalog/product/view/id/429111/s/laptop-lenovo-15-6-ideapad-l340-i5-9300h-8gb-ssd-256gb-windows-10/.html

That gets you:

Quad core processor with turbo up to 4.1 GHz
    15.6", 1920x1080, IPS monitor
    256 GB SSD
    GeForce GTX 1650

I'm not really sure what the battery life will be like, but Intel tends to do better than AMD there, and most laptops can get you 4-5 hours at essentially idle, anyway.  If you wanted 8 hours of battery life without recharging, that's a lot harder.

Enough of the site looks Greek to me that I'm guessing that you can buy there.  And the price tag displays as €810.  European sites tend to display prices including tax, though I'm guessing that that doesn't include shipping.

I'll concede that I have no idea how good the keyboard is, other than that because it's a laptop, the keyboard probably isn't very good.

I'm generally skeptical of Lenovo laptops after their Superfish debacle, in which their laptops came with malware pre-installed--not just bloatware, but outright malware.  But the hardware was a considerably better deal than anything else I found.