Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG's Top Games Of The Year 2019 - MMORPG.com

Comments

• MadCoderOneMadCoderOne Member UncommonPosts: 220
    disappointing list given the site (MMORPG guys), and title... I come here less and less and am reminded by this article why. This is an MMO site, most of these are freaking Nintendo games... don't you have another site you can post articles like this on? I feel clickbaited.
    goozmaniaNildenHalibrandKyleran
  • TeakStrangiatoTeakStrangiato Member UncommonPosts: 34

My apologies, I thought you were bashing either consoles or switch.  

I think its perfectly fine to have staff members pick their favorite game of the year, even if they aren't MMORPGs.  

To be honest picking a favorite new MMORPG these days is pretty much like picking a favorite Uwe Boll movie.   Its going to be all expansions (FFXIV) or a rerelease of an old game (WoW classic).  Both are great, but this genre is in a big rut since GW2/ESO/FFXIV

[Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MrJatobiMrJatobi Member UncommonPosts: 67

This all seemed overly sensitive. 
    Look, many people here have actually written reviews for this site and many other sites.
     Some even paid. That argument holds no weight here. 

Facing scrutiny over your opinions online is part of posting your opinions online. That will never change. Just post your post, write your words and then move on. 

I gave all kinds of crap to Bill for giving Battleborn an 8. (I mean an 8? For Battleborn? ugh)

Covering the top games of the year and more importantly the top RPG games of the year would benefit the site and its revenue. 
    Catering to your demographic is how you are going to allow a site about MMOs and RPGs to continue.

I mean I'm not pointing you out because you are not paid staff and no offense but I barely even know who you are. 

I wouldn't suggest arguing with the natives though just own your words and move on. 
    No shame. Some of us are just used to a different experience here.
    If you need pointers on handling the writing criticism ask @Torval
    He is both a respected community member and a posted contributor for this site and others.  
    (Who has posted stellar reviews and opinions)  

I understand how uncomfortable it can be. 
    I have been a part of many projects that players have hated and have had to read all the comments (some on this very site) 
     It can be brutal but it is only because gamers are a passionate bunch.
    I love that about our people. 
    No reason to turn this adversarial. Post and move post and move.   B) 

There is a huge difference between constructive criticism and outright hate mongering.

If you don't know the difference, you obviously don't care or are pandering to the ones seeding the hate.

cheeba
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,987
    MrJatobi said:

Look, many people here have actually written reviews for this site and many other sites.

Facing scrutiny over your opinions online is part of posting your opinions online. That will never change. Just post your post, write your words and then move on. 

I gave all kinds of crap to Bill for giving Battleborn an 8. (I mean an 8? For Battleborn? ugh)

Covering the top games of the year and more importantly the top RPG games of the year would benefit the site and its revenue. 
    Catering to your demographic is how you are going to allow a site about MMOs and RPGs to continue.

I mean I'm not pointing you out because you are not paid staff and no offense but I barely even know who you are. 

I wouldn't suggest arguing with the natives though just own your words and move on. 
    He is both a respected community member and a posted contributor for this site and others.  

I have been a part of many projects that players have hated and have had to read all the comments (some on this very site) 

There is a huge difference between constructive criticism and outright hate mongering.

If you don't know the difference, you obviously don't care or are pandering to the ones seeding the hate.

OK you are so far beyond the line now that it's getting silly.  Please just stop posting.
    MendelKyleran

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• cheebacheeba Member UncommonPosts: 196
    MrJatobi said:

Just go away.  We are being pretty nice.  I want to go off on you so bad.  But I'm trying to have some restraint.  If you don't understand why they are upset you don't belong here.  Especially writing articles. 
    [Deleted User]Slapshot1188Kyleran

---------------
    Tested over a 115+ games since 1997.

Currently Playing:

Played(Retired): AOL NWN(91-95), UO, EQ1/2, DAoC, CoX, Lineage1/2, SWG(Pre CU/NGE), Planetside, Anarchy Online, FFXI, AC, Vanguard, D&D, AoC, DCUO, Rift, Eve, others

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Its old news, but it is made new again; Even though the legality is in question, wouldn't the City of Heroes comeback this year count?

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Aeander said:
    Sovrath said:
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Amathe said:
    I like that it's different. Props for different in a world of same.

Exactly - like I said it puts other games into perspective that are basically the same formula done to death.

I think it is the best RPG in the past few years. Inventive, smart and masterfully crafted.  

For me its up there in the top 20 RPGs of all time for sure - its up there with Planescape Torment for sure.

Here you have an amazing ground braking RPG relesed this year - and the jokers on this site ... didn't even play it, lol

Not that awards mean much - but if I were a video game writer and I saw the above - maybe - just maybe - I might be obligated to at least give it a shot to see why this RPG is getting all these positive reviews and awards.

I know crazy talk - right?

But no - let me go play Dauntless instead.... yeah!

I think part of the issue is that this site isn't "quite" professional. Sometimes it hits professional square on but because it relies on devoted fans of the genre and the site to write articles, and a very nice option for long-time fans of the site, they don't necessarily have the training nor do they know how to address their viewers at times.

In short, it feels like a devoted but nice fan/family site that can sometimes really hit it on the head or completely miss. What it lacks "at times" in professionalism it makes up for with a great set of forums that invite discussion. Also, the breadth of content is nice.

Massively feels like a more professional site. But it doesn't feel like a great place to have great discussions.

So, having said that, it might make some sense that someone at the top didn't say "these are the top x games in this genre, let's look at them and see where they rank.

What was probably said was "hey, you all have played games this year, pick out the games that really resonated with you. And that's what they did.

This. The hate mob is literally just attacking them for sharing what they liked. 

So what if what they liked wasn't an MMO? If MMOs would stop shitting themselves in public for even a year, this might not happen.
    To me, folks can like/love whatever they want.  BUT I think it says a lot when the staff of a site named MMORPG.COM could not find a single MMORPG to list.  Not one.   Out of 10 entries...

If your passion is elsewhere then follow that passion! It's seemed for a while that this was a square peg/round hole situation and this to me just confirms that.  Gamespace.com is a great site that caters to all the games listed.  A few people picking those games on the list, sure... but not one MMORPG?  

Which mmorpg should be listed?  Its all been crap and the ones still going that have been mentioned in the past are 5 to 15 years old.
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793
    edited December 2019
    I believe that @lotrlore is taking all of this into account for next year. Some posters had the right of it early on that the biggest point of contention really is that the title. Believe it or not, that's innocent. No one here gets paid by clicks and there was no intention to clickbait anyone. The spirit really was this is MMORPG's Top games of the year. Not just MMOs, and "MMORPG" in this sense was our team. As Jatobi said, we were asked on a personal level and though we all play MMOs, when we considered broadly, it just happened that our personal "bests" were not in the genre. That says a bit about the state of the industry, I think, but it doesn't mean we haven't also had a ton of fun in our MMORPGs and online games as well.

Still, rest assured that we are going to be choosing a best MMO of the year and a number of other categories as well. 

This thread has gotten heated and I can understand why. Some people are clearly enjoying the riling that's happening here. It goes with the territory. But, friends, we are definitely going to deliver what many of you were looking for in this post and we will do better to make sure it's clearly labeled when we do. I'm sorry that it wasn't clear from the get-go. It truly wasn't intentional. 

maskedweaselSlapshot1188IselinTillerKyleran
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793
    Arterius said:
    I believe that @lotrlore is taking all of this into account for next year. Some posters had the right of it early on that the biggest point of contention really is that the title. Believe it or not, that's innocent. No one here gets paid by clicks and there was no intention to clickbait anyone. The spirit really was this is MMORPG's Top games of the year. Not just MMOs, and "MMORPG" in this sense was our team. As Jatobi said, we were asked on a personal level and though we all play MMOs, when we considered broadly, it just happened that our personal "bests" were not in the genre. That says a bit about the state of the industry, I think, but it doesn't mean we haven't also had a ton of fun in our MMORPGs and online games as well.

Still, rest assured that we are going to be choosing a best MMO of the year and a number of other categories as well. 

This thread has gotten heated and I can understand why. Some people are clearly enjoying the riling that's happening here. It goes with the territory. But, friends, we are definitely going to deliver what many of you were looking for in this post and we will do better to make sure it's clearly labeled when we do. I'm sorry that it wasn't clear from the get-go. It truly wasn't intentional. 

Again I don't think anyone needs to apologize. I don't even think anyone is that mad. At this point you guys are just making a way bigger deal then it needs to be
    Maybe! I'm catching up late but there was definitely a theme of people feeling like this wasn't what they expected. Either way, I don't like seeing people argue or get angry over things that had good intentions. Critique is always fair, however. As someone else said, it comes with posting on the internet.
    [Deleted User]
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    DMKano said:
    GladDog said:
    Its old news, but it is made new again; Even though the legality is in question, wouldn't the City of Heroes comeback this year count?
    Yes - it should.
    But, let's be honest, the vast majority of the greatness of Homecoming is the nostalgia, and not that the game itself is all that great.  It's outdated and it feels outdated. But that doesn't mean I haven't played it. Definitely not my game of the year.

Sovrath said:
    MrJatobi said:

You're quick to judge us, yet you've not lived a day in our shoes and have absolutely no idea what goes on behind the scenes. So again I challenge you, write an in-depth review, post it, leave us a link, and let us dismantle every single word you wrote and tell you just how bad you are. 

erm ok ...

I also wrote two that weren't published (and another that was) so I know what it's like to write something and rewrite it and put your heart into it knowing that it might not get published or might draw derision.

But for me, I'm used to performing and also used to having my work critiqued so I have experience not letting it bother me to my core.

Just saying.

ps: I'm very proud of that review. And stick by it.
    You did awesome with it. I was glad you took it on!
    cheebaSovrath
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited December 2019
    How I wish every staff member of this site played Disco Elysium, and then picked something else as their best game of 2019. How incredibly petty have we become.

I can’t wait for their MMORPG list of 2019, there we can bicker endlessly about the good old days versus the newer generation, whether those games are actually massively or not and what idiots work for this site. I’ll help them out, here is my 2019 MMORPG top 5:

1. Path of Exile
    2. Destiny 2
    3. Conan Exiles
    4. Warframe
    5. The Division 2

And besides Remnant I don’t agree with a single entry on their list, so what, it isn’t my list.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    cheebamaskedweaselKyleran
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

DMKano said:

Aeander said:

Halibrand said:

I come here for articles about MMOs.

Glad you're having fun with your Nintendo, or whatever.

Well, if all you are here for is MMOs, you're in for a dry news cycle for... well, ever.

DMKano said:

A couple of good games listed.

Still- my conclusion- the writers have terrible taste for games

Maybe you're the one with bad taste? I only see one potentially bad game here - Dauntless. Maybe you've just become too jaded to feel anything.

No mention of Disco Elysium - means they dont know shit.

It's not me, sorry 

It's all a matter of personal taste...I think Disco Elysium is boring...
    maskedweaselGroqstrong

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Anyone want to bet on how many MMORPGs make it on the actual MMORPG list for 2019?

I'm going with less than half.

This site is pretty pathetic. I've been here over 10 years and find myself going to MassivelyOP more and more and articles like this are not helping you.
    cameltosisKyleran

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Best Game of 2019:
    Resident Evil 2 Remake

Best MMO of 2019:
    WoW Classic

... here's hoping 2020 will see some better original games - though I am very much looking forward to RE3 Remake.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    When you put Control on the list I knew you have zero clue what you are talking about.  Granted I don't even know most of those games you put on the list, but Control was a complete waste of money.  

Does not say much for the games market this year does it, what sad bunch of games.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Arterius said:
    DMKano said:
    Arterius said:
    snoocky said:

DMKano said:

Aeander said:

Halibrand said:

I come here for articles about MMOs.

Glad you're having fun with your Nintendo, or whatever.

Well, if all you are here for is MMOs, you're in for a dry news cycle for... well, ever.

DMKano said:

Maybe you're the one with bad taste? I only see one potentially bad game here - Dauntless. Maybe you've just become too jaded to feel anything.

No mention of Disco Elysium - means they dont know shit.

It's not me, sorry 

It's all a matter of personal taste...I think Disco Elysium is boring...
    I think Disco Elysium was my favorite book that I read this year as for video game, i don't think so. When I think of my favorite video game I think of actually playing a game not reading a bunch of text on screen. As a visual novel though Disco Elysium is the best one I have ever played

You can experience and categorize it as you wish but there is more to Disco Elysium than just a visual novel, there are RPG systems in there that affect gameplay.

A visual novel to me means it's the same game for everyone and where player choice doesnr matter- and that's not even remotely true.

Disco Elysium is am RPG 
    Your right, I have spent the last three days since finishing the game trying to categorize this thing and I have no idea how to do so. It's an RPG for sure. Thinking on it last night after posting that I don't know if visual Novel is the right term. Honestly, I  think Disco Elysium may be its own genre in the RPG landscape. It truly is the closest I have come to play a pen and paper game outside of actually playing D&D.

You're overcomplicating things. It's a classic point and click adventure game with heavy RPG elements.
    [Deleted User]Ozmodan
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Imagine one of the writers named Fallout '76 as his/her favorite game? There would be a full blown riot up in here  :D
    [Deleted User]
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited December 2019
    Aeander said:
    DMKano said:
    Aeander said:
    DMKano said:

Also I updated the picture in the article - it's somehow more fitting
    Fire Emblem Three Houses has no microtransactions. But nice try. 

I was not implying it did - the picture was to reflect the current state of MTX in so many games, it was not meant to be a comentary on Fire Emblem Three Houses - as the vast majority who see that picture have no clue what game it's from - so no need to worry.

The vast majority? This wasn't some obscure indie game. It sold an estimated 2.29 million copies (as of almost 2 months ago), launched a billion memes, and just won the Player's Voice award last night. People know what it is.

Something tells me you haven't played it. You just wrote it off because it isn't Disco Elysium.
    Never heard of it before this thread.

Must be a console thing. We speak PC here....
    Slapshot1188Aeander

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    And in other news....The U.S. is still in a trade war with China.....
    Kyleran
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    DMKano said:
    MrJatobi said:
    DMKano said:
    maskedweasel said:.  

I just think it's silly to bash peoples personal opinions on what games they chose because your title wasn't selected.  Most importantly you use critics and awards as an indicator that it *should* have been chosen.  

Well everything I am said is obviously my opinion.

So in my opinion they dropped the ball big time.

The beatings will continue until they give Disco Elysium what it deserves 

:)

Done:

Disco Elysium is a shit game.  I've never played it, but based solely on it's fanbase, I have to give it a 1/10.  Did not enjoy.  Will not buy.

How's that?  ;)

That wasn't nice, was it?  Or, do you actually want me to recommend a game I've never played, nor had time to play and give an honest opinion of?  It'd look just like the above comment.

Choosing to play something inferior (which is every game on the list in this article imo) over Disco Elysium is a failure in itself.

Nobody can force anyone to play something but we sure can point out when they pick way shittier games - in my opinion.

Also a few people is not indicative of the entire fanbase, trust me the fanbase is nowhere close to being as abrasive as me

Yea DE is a pretty amazing game , weve discussed it it threads a ways back ...

Ill add Kano if you enjoyed DE try Stygian when you have time ..

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Kyleran said:
    Aeander said:
    DMKano said:
    Aeander said:
    DMKano said:

Also I updated the picture in the article - it's somehow more fitting
    Fire Emblem Three Houses has no microtransactions. But nice try. 

I was not implying it did - the picture was to reflect the current state of MTX in so many games, it was not meant to be a comentary on Fire Emblem Three Houses - as the vast majority who see that picture have no clue what game it's from - so no need to worry.

The vast majority? This wasn't some obscure indie game. It sold an estimated 2.29 million copies (as of almost 2 months ago), launched a billion memes, and just won the Player's Voice award last night. People know what it is.

Something tells me you haven't played it. You just wrote it off because it isn't Disco Elysium.
    Never heard of it before this thread.

Must be a console thing. We speak PC here....
    Real gamers multi-plat.
    [Deleted User]maskedweaselKyleran
  • Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568
    MMORPG.com huh? Nice to see that ev1 on staff has a console and doesn't bother with MMOs any longer. /scarcasm At least you guys could change the name to console.com, Online/Offline game.com, etc etc etc.

Best MMO, IMHO, is still SWG. True MMORPG, no consoles, decent UI, good profs, no store, no lock boxes, no "monetization", and surprisingly, graphics that don't seem that far out of date. And it would seem private servers are fixing some of SOE's missteps. Maybe that's why I'm not on staff, I still play MMOs.
    Ozmodan
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    edited December 2019
    Soo... I thought Anno 1800 was brilliant. It was their best version of Anno of all time IMO (and I like these resource management games a lot). I think I'm almost done with Disco Elysium and it's brilliant (arguments otherwise are an admittance to terrible taste). Sekiro was, in my opinion at least, the perfect action RPG with perfect difficulty. The Outer Worlds was overrated IMO (really worse than FO4 IMO). 

Edit: IMO, IMO....
    Ozmodan[Deleted User]laserit