Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Astellia Ending Service in Native South Korea As Of January - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageAstellia Ending Service in Native South Korea As Of January - MMORPG.com

In case you missed it, Astellia is ending its service in Korea in January 2020, according to a post from Nexon.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    bye bye

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    DMKano said:
    The numbers of players were so low that Nexon didn't see any point in hosting the game anymore.

While the game devs are doing the typical PR spin - that everything is OK for the other regions and that what happens with Astellia KR has not implications on NA/EU - is pure BS.

The real question is how much life is left in the NA/EU version - in Korea the game didn't even last a year.
    Well how would it even work if the developers were the team in Korea? Would publishers elsewhere be capable of making content? I don't know if I've ever seen that in a game released elsewhere, usually it's by the main dev team and the other teams just localize it. 
  • TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    At least they tried. People like what they like and they don't what they don't. Hopefully this doesn't discourage them.
    Blaze_RockerNeoyoshiGorweJakoben
    Isaiah 41:10
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited December 2019
    I'm just waiting on Quizzical's thesis on how the western version is perfectly fine and how this occurrence doesn't influence it any way....then I can give him a lol again.
    Asm0deusTuor7Roin
  • drkmgicdrkmgic Member UncommonPosts: 18
    wow nexon really is not doing well. im kind of sad. because this will be the doom of maple story even though i dont play it anymore.
    Asm0deus
    DMKano said:
    Albatroes said:
    I'm just waiting on Quizzical's thesis on how the western version is perfectly fine and how this occurrence doesn't influence it any way....then I can give him a lol again.

The game was doomed before it even launched in the west. As many have pointed out.

My beef with Astellia and other failing games from Korea is simple - they bring it to the west without addressing the issues that are causing it to fail and just are after western $$$

Well we tanked in Korea let's sucker western players into giving us money - we wont fix anything just add more genders and translate to English... go go go

It's super shitty and needs to stop, if your game is tanking - fix it first, then bring it to other regions

Always with the same line too "to ensure a better player experience and to make sure there is no pay-to-win, we are going buy-to-play." Every eastern game coming to the west always say "no pay-to-win." By saying "there will be no pay-to-win in this version" that's admitting that your first version is pay-to-win /smh.
    [Deleted User]
  • achmedeachmede Member UncommonPosts: 215
    We all knew it.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    achmede said:
    We all knew it.

Well except for a few which shall remain unnamed yet have already been mentioned in this thread...lmao

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

edited December 2019
    Asm0deus said:
    achmede said:
    We all knew it.

Well except for a few which shall remain unnamed yet have already been mentioned in this thread...lmao

Honestly, I don't fault people for wanting one of these games to succeed, especially when you look at the current market. I dont mean that in a 'bad' way, I mean most of these mmorpgs are doing the exact same thing just with a different coat of paint. There's no real mmorpg 'diversity' anymore, so the only alternative is to wait for an official "old" server of the game you used to like to pop up (I'm honestly more interested in a classic server for tbc wow instead of vanilla), pray for one of these kickstarter mmos to even reach a 'finish line' (and ignoring that they still have to sustain the game after, or back these eastern mmos that looks like they were made as a college project by 5 people.
    drkmgiccheeba
  • DaemonweaverDaemonweaver Member UncommonPosts: 124
    I bought into it out of desperation for a decent game. It is very generic rubbish, I tried really hard to get into it but it is just boring such a shame, when are we going to have a really good new game released :(
    Tuor7
  • Spriggen1337Spriggen1337 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    nexon should buy marvel heroes and get that back out i know alot of people willing to spend 200 bux gertting that char again
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited December 2019
    Nexon release and shut down more mmos than they change underwear. I get it that an mmo that is not profitable can't stay alive, but don't they feel like a joke at this point? Spending a lot of time and resources making random new mmos over and over with little effort and shutting them down with just as little effort.

At least try to make a good game and make sure it's done right.
    At this point Nexon is throwing poo at a wall to see what sticks.
    nomadie

• xkeeperxkeeper Member UncommonPosts: 45

Nexon release and shut down more mmos than they change underwear. I get it that an mmo that is not profitable can't stay alive, but don't they feel like a joke at this point? Spending a lot of time and resources making random new mmos over and over with little effort and shutting them down with just as little effort.

Isn´t that what every company working with "games as a service" does? Or you mean to tell me that Epic Games planned the success of Fortnite?

Theyu are all trying to find the "next big thing" while cutting their losses at optimal levels. Games will die along the way, it´s natural.
    Phoenix_Hawk

Honestly, I think Nexon is getting ready to go out of business. A lot of their announced projects got cancelled or indefinitely delayed (Peria Chronicles was cancelled and FFXI mobile has been in 'stasis' for almost a 5 years?). Then you also had this earlier this year: https://www.mmorpg.com/news/ea-amazon-and-comcast-join-netmarble-and-kakao-by-submitting-bids-to-purchase-nexon-1000051643#vanilla-comments
    rojoArcueidPortz

alot of it is re skinned copy paste stuff tho so it might be worth the effort closing it down re skinning to give it a different shine earn some dollar until the next time it happens! that or a really good game comes along that gives them oomph factor
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    another game "BLESS"ed ;)
    Roin
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

alot of it is re skinned copy paste stuff tho so it might be worth the effort closing it down re skinning to give it a different shine earn some dollar until the next time it happens! that or a really good game comes along that gives them oomph factor

yeah it makes sense. No wonder why they release so many generic mmos so fast. A rehashing company is what they became.

• nomadienomadie Member UncommonPosts: 172
    edited December 2019
    I find it ironic when a game in Korea that IP bans any IP outside of Korea wants Koreans to play outside of Korea. O.o Sadly Nexon is just a game killer. At the same time without the people who made the game the other version will die off as well with lack of content.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Every time I've tried the Western version of the game it was pretty dead, even right after launch. I have feeling the game may be struggling here as well.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    LoL Not even Koreans want to play this Korean game?  I know I didn't, I uninstalled Beta right away... To be fair, its tough for me to like new games, FFXIV has spoiled me and nothing lives up to the lore/story in any of the new MMORPGS.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:
    Astellia Unchained Remastered founder packages coming soon.
    Now with even younger Astelles!

Albatroes[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

MMO is a fickle area you gotta have a great hook and reasonable in game store (cosmetic only) that doesn't bow to industry pressure while maintaining great contact with your community!
    with these 3 things you could make a relatively decent MMO in which you can still experiment features with your playerbase!
    Astellia just dont have any of this
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited December 2019
    I was waiting for the F2P Unleashed Console edition
  • LukzfreshLukzfresh Member UncommonPosts: 125
    ATELLIA REMASTERED- YOU CAN BUY INTO EARLY ACCESS. DONT WAIT! ONLY $49.99... no refunds (small print)
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    The writing has been on the wall for the Korean version of Astellia for quite some time now.  But there is substantial hope for the Western version of the game to not meet the same fate.

For the Western version, Barunson is their own publisher.  They're not going to pull the plug on their only game for any reason shy of the company shutting down entirely.  That might well happen, but avoiding it doesn't require the game being successful.  At this point, it's very unlikely that the game will ever recover the cost of development.  That is the fate of many and perhaps even most games, after all.

But to justify keeping the game running, you only need enough revenue to justify keeping the servers running.  And for a game with a small playerbase, that isn't very much.  There are plenty of essentially dead games listed on this site that keep the servers running anyway.  There have even been some cases of games that were sufficiently dead to pull the plug later getting revived.

And there are some things that Astellia can still do.  My expectation is that they'll first finish the game, in the sense of finishing the content on their roadmap.  After that, they'll put the game on Steam, call it "free to play" (in roughly the sense that WoW is free to play), get at least a temporary spike in players, and see what happens.

And let's not pretend that Astellia is an unusually bad game.  On the quality of gameplay, I say it's the best new MMORPG to have an English language version launch since Neverwinter.  Yes, that's several years, but there also isn't a lot of competition in that time.

The pet system is the best in any MMORPG ever.  Nothing else is even close.

The storyline is significantly above average as MMORPG storylines go.  Or at least it has been since they fixed the translation a few weeks after launch.  The villains, of which there are many, have plausible motivations, rather than just being cartoon villains who are evil for the sake of being evil.  It might not seem that way at first, but they explain a whole bunch of stuff to tie things together when you get to Tulie, near the end of Randeilo, and then you can see, oh that's why this or that happened.

There are plenty of games that have fancy graphics at the expense of running poorly, or try to run well on anything at the expense of looking bad.  Astellia manages to both look good and run smoothly.  It's hardly the only game to do that, but there are plenty of games that don't.  The only noticeable performance problems I've had are some hitching when crossing zone boundaries.

The combat is decent.  It's not that good, but it's not bad, either.  Given how many people are willing to play combat-heavy MMORPGs with significantly inferior combat, such as WoW, FFXIV, or Black Desert, I can't see combat as being a problem that kills the game.
    AlbatroesGdemamiAsm0deus