Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG's Top Games Of The Year 2019 - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageMMORPG's Top Games Of The Year 2019 - MMORPG.com

Every year sites around the internet hand out awards for the best games to release in that calendar year. Here at MMORPG, we approached our Game of the Year list as more of a "Games of the Year." These are the games that we, as the editorial staff, felt were the best games to release in 2019 for each of us.

Read the full story here

Amathe

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    WTH?
    Was this posted in error on the wrong site ?
    AmatheHalibrandultimateduckEquinsu_Ochaseraphis79KyleranRateroSamhaelTaishiFox

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited December 2019
    Thanks for giving Fire Emblem its due credit. One of the best games ever made.

I was shocked when this site gave no coverage or review to this deep SRPG, while spotlighting other, lesser single player RPGs, and I thought that was just part of the usual critical snubbing that strategy games and JRPGs get.
    Post edited by Aeander on
    alkarionlog
  • HalibrandHalibrand Member UncommonPosts: 136
    I come here for articles about MMOs.

Glad you're having fun with your Nintendo, or whatever.

AmatheSlapshot1188necrolockEquinsu_OchagoozmaniaCopperfieldcheebaseraphis79[Deleted User]FreelancerNDand 9 others.
    edited December 2019
    Halibrand said:

Well, if all you are here for is MMOs, you're in for a dry news cycle for... well, ever.

DMKano said:
    A couple of good games listed.

Still- my conclusion- the writers have terrible taste for games
    Maybe you're the one with bad taste? I only see one potentially bad game here - Dauntless. Maybe you've just become too jaded to feel anything.
    Azaron_Nightbladealkarionlogvandal5627SamhaelbamwallaArleeValdheimPanzerbeorne39TacticalZombehBodeanG
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I feel that the latest in volleyball and badminton went underreported. Just talking about electronic video games is so limiting.
    HalibrandSlapshot1188Equinsu_OchaKyleranFreelancerNDGladDogbentrimWylfBodeanG

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Rhoklaw said:
    I don't think the problem with this article is the content, but rather the title. This IS an MMO site, so why would we want a list of Top Games of the Year of games that have very little to do with the main focus of this site?
    Perhaps. A title like "our staff's favorite games of 2019 might be more concise."

But if this were a list of best MMOs, it would be a short and boring affair.
    KyleranThupliValdheimTacticalZombeh
  • ShankTheTankShankTheTank Associate Editor / News ManagerMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 217

Halibrand said:

Maybe, just maybe, we have an article incoming about our favorite MMOs of the decade? Maybe, just maybe, we play other types of games as well and want to celebrate that?
    AeanderultimateduckTillergoozmaniavandal5627cheebaKyleranSamhaelThupliArleeand 1 other.
    That could have been stated "Stay tuned. We have some articles on mmos upcoming." But why miss a chance to be snotty towards a reader of your website? 
    Slapshot1188SovrathHalibrandEquinsu_OchaTykam123[Deleted User]goozmaniacheebaKyleranSamhaeland 4 others.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

edited December 2019
    Amathe said:
    That could have been stated "Stay tuned. We have some articles on mmos upcoming." But why miss a chance to be snotty towards a reader of your website? 
    Sigh. To be frank, the "that's not a MMO" line has been repeated to the point of exhaustion. This horse has been beaten to a fine pulp and now releases a sickening squelching sound every time someone hits it.

What they should do is sticky an official response to such comments. 
    maskedweaselvandal5627ValdheimTacticalZombeh
    edited December 2019
    Aeander said:
    Amathe said:
    Sigh. To be frank, the "that's not a MMO" line has been repeated to the point of exhaustion. This horse has been beaten to a fine pulp.

That horse likely will be beaten for so long as a website that calls itself mmorpg.com continues to drift farther and farther from any discussion of mmorpgs, now to the point of having a game of the year list that doesn't mention mmorpgs. It's really gotten to where I question why they don't cover college basketball. Not that basketball is a bad thing. But still. 
    Equinsu_OchagoozmaniaKyleranFreelancerNDBodeanG

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    edited December 2019
    Imagine if Control had multiplayer with character customization - that could become the game of the decade, easily. Hopefully, some other company will pick up this gameplay (and setting) to make an MMORPG around it since its own developers are incapable to do so.

Thank you for your time!

edited December 2019
    Amathe said:
    Aeander said:
    Amathe said:
    Sigh. To be frank, the "that's not a MMO" line has been repeated to the point of exhaustion. This horse has been beaten to a fine pulp.

That horse likely will be beaten for so long as a website that calls itself mmorpg.com continues to drift farther and farther from any discussion of mmorpgs, now to the point of having a game of the year list that doesn't mention mmorpgs. It's really to the point that I question why they don't cover college basketball. Not that basketball is a bad thing. But still. 
    Here's the problem. The site has fuck all to cover. They still need to turn a profit and keep the website running until there is something to cover, but they can't do that off the back of the same 5 games (WoW, FFXIV, Guild Wars 2, ESO, and Black Desert). 

If a MMORPG website's best games of the year don't include any MMOs, that is reflective of the state of the genre.

We're in such a bad state that some of us are actually pretending that Black Desert is a good game. We're in such a bad state that people bought Astellia and Bless. We are in such a bad state that survival trash and looter shooters have all but entirely replaced the MMO.
    KyleranGameByNightThupliArleeValdheimacidbloodRobsolfPanzerbeorne39TacticalZombeh
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    edited December 2019
    So many tears. I'd be willing to bet everyone here plays multiple forms of games on multiple platforms. It's ok to like and review other things.
    Post edited by ultimateduck on
    ThupliArleeValdheimTacticalZombehPink_Candy
    Aeander said:
    Amathe said:
    Aeander said:
    Amathe said:

That horse likely will be beaten for so long as a website that calls itself mmorpg.com continues to drift farther and farther from any discussion of mmorpgs, now to the point of having a game of the year list that doesn't mention mmorpgs. It's really to the point that I question why they don't cover college basketball. Not that basketball is a bad thing. But still. 
    Here's the problem. The site has fuck all to cover. They still need to turn a profit and keep the website running until there is something to cover, but they can't do that off the back of the same 5 games.

If a MMORPG website's best games of the year don't include any MMOs, that is reflective of the state of the genre.

We're in such a bad state that some of us are actually pretending that Black Desert is a good game. We're in such a bad state that people bought Astellia and Bless. We are in such a bad state that survival trash and looter shooters have all but entirely replaced the MMO.
    Then it sounds like a perfect opportunity for the staff to have used the Best Games of 2019 to call that out and make that the focus of the article.  When I haven’t even heard of many of the games listed(let alone played them) it indicates that there is a disconnect between me and the staff. I don’t think I’m alone.   If I want to read about console games of the year there are other places where that is the focus.
    AmatheEquinsu_OchaKyleranBodeanG

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Aeander said:

Here's the problem. The site has fuck all to cover.

Respectfully I disagree. They have gotten lazy, overly dependent on prepackaged news sent to them by developers, and overly influenced by ad revenue. Those are the problems.

Time and again I see posters on this website share news days ahead of the news staff on this site. And sometimes that's the only real news you will find. It wasn't always so. They used to have a more diligent and professional staff.

Go look at the "Games List" page of this website. There are hundreds of games listed there. You think nothing is going on in any of them? Of course there is. But you would have to do some looking, instead of just cutting and pasting what someone sends you. You would have to read gaming websites and ferret out the news. but they're not. 

it's not that there is no mmorpg news. Of course there is. It's that there is less news they get paid for reporting. 

Equinsu_OchanecrolockLtldogg[Deleted User][Deleted User]goozmaniacheebaKyleranSamhaelValdheimand 2 others.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    DMKano said:
    Aeander said:
    Halibrand said:

Well, if all you are here for is MMOs, you're in for a dry news cycle for... well, ever.

DMKano said:

Maybe you're the one with bad taste? I only see one potentially bad game here - Dauntless. Maybe you've just become too jaded to feel anything.

No mention of Disco Elysium - means they dont know shit.

It's not me, sorry 
    Maybe they didn't play Disco Elysium. Or maybe they didn't like it.

I hear great things but I would never touch it as the setting is of no interest to me. I'm sure it's an amazing game and that a lot of role playing games might learn a thing or two from it from what I've read.

I still won't play it.

Aeanderperrin82Palebanesnoocky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I actually don't care if they talk about other games beyond MMOs here, the MMO industry is stagnate. I've found myself spending more time in single player games than MMOs the last few years and this is a better place to talk about games than Steam forums.
    SovrathAeanderperrin82keithianPalebaneValdheimTacticalZombeh
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• LtldoggLtldogg Member UncommonPosts: 282
    I will

Amathe said:

Aeander said:

Here's the problem. The site has fuck all to cover.

Respectfully I disagree. They have gotten lazy, overly dependent on prepackaged news sent to them by developers, and overly influenced by ad revenue. Those are the problems.

Time and again I see posters on this website share news days ahead of the news staff on this site. And sometimes that's the only real news you will find. It wasn't always so. They used to have a more diligent and professional staff.

Go look at the "Games List" page of this website. There are hundreds of games listed there. You think nothing is going on in any of them? Of course there is. But you would have to do some looking, instead of just cutting and pasting what someone sends you. You would have to read gaming websites and ferret out the news. but they're not. 

it's not that there is no mmorpg news. Of course there is. It's that there is less news they get paid for reporting. 

I'll go one step further and say that there are indeed stories to cover and uncover if the journalists on this site actually spent time in the official forums for any active MMO. If that isn't fun or interesting, then they should shut down this site and move on to something else. That's the job and that's what will bring in and back readers. I frequent many MMO forums and there are plenty of newsworthy stories to discuss and report on.
    AmatheEquinsu_OchaKyleran
  • HalibrandHalibrand Member UncommonPosts: 136

Halibrand said:

Maybe, just maybe, we have an article incoming about our favorite MMOs of the decade? Maybe, just maybe, we play other types of games as well and want to celebrate that?

The website is called MMORPG. The first word of the title of this article is MMORPG.

All you had to do, to do a better job, would have been to title the article: Our Top Non-MMO Games of the Year.

Or was it intended as clickbait for the portion of us that wouldn't care?
    AmatheSlapshot1188Equinsu_OchagoozmaniacheebaKyleranSamhael
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 557
    For those who are wondering - I really appreciate the feedback here. It's been an interesting few months for sure.

As for our MMO lists, we're going to be doing features all next week on our MMOs of the Decade, breaking down the MMOs that were influential on each of us over the last ten years. So stay tuned for that. 
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]KyleranTacticalZombeh
    lotrlore said:
    For those who are wondering - I really appreciate the feedback here. It's been an interesting few months for sure.

As for our MMO lists, we're going to be doing features all next week on our MMOs of the Decade, breaking down the MMOs that were influential on each of us over the last ten years. So stay tuned for that. 
    That’s great and all... but we get those every few months.   So your actually saying MMORPG.COM is skipping an MMORPG game of the year?

Pretty sad on many levels.
    AmatheKyleran

• silentfury007silentfury007 Member UncommonPosts: 22
    edited August 2022
    Great list!
    Post edited by silentfury007 on
    I also don't believe that mmorpg.com gave what it said would be "MMORPG's Top Games Of The Year 2019 - MMORPG.com," without mentioning any mmorpgs, and not expect people to react with "hey, what the hell?" No. They knew there would be backlash. I feel trolled. Is this where we are? Trolling the readers for clicks? I dislike being used. 
    Slapshot1188Equinsu_OchacheebaKyleran

• lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 557
    lotrlore said:

That’s great and all... but we get those every few months.   So your actually saying MMORPG.COM is skipping an MMORPG game of the year?

Pretty sad on many levels.
    Stay tuned for this too, We will have this next week!
    Amathe[Deleted User]Kyleran
  • StevenWeberStevenWeber MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 110
    Sovrath said:
    DMKano said:
    Aeander said:
    Halibrand said:

DMKano said:

No mention of Disco Elysium - means they dont know shit.

It's not me, sorry 
    Maybe they didn't play Disco Elysium. Or maybe they didn't like it.

I hear great things but I would never touch it as the setting is of no interest to me. I'm sure it's an amazing game and that a lot of role playing games might learn a thing or two from it from what I've read.

I still won't play it.

It may surprise people to know that we don't always get to play every game ever in existence. Honestly, even if Disco Elysium did cross the review board, it's not like we all get to play it. One person picks it up, the rest of us generally play whatever else comes up. 

It's hard time-wise, but not impossible, to play games that aren't assigned as reviews, previews and our regular MMO's.  For me, there has to be a specific game that I'm really interested in, with a known release window, so that I can plan some time to play it on release. There were only a handful of games this year I was able to do that with, unfortunately. 

Sometimes it's a blessing, sometimes it's a curse. Sometimes we find gems that aren't popular, but are still great games. Other times we're playing games that aren't very fun, or tedious. 

I'd like to say that I can dole out honorable mentions for games I haven't played, but that would be misleading and ineffectual.