Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMOs Would You Want Remade? - Michael Bitton - MMORPG.com

Comments

• XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Dark Age of Camelot and no "Camelot Unchained" doesn't count.
    Amathe
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    A non Star Wars version of SWG. Star Wars is awesome and the IP would help it along, but that will never happen. So take everything else good about SWG and make a fantasy based game around it.
    Blaze_Rocker
  • HazenXIIIHazenXIII Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Star Wars Galaxies no question
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited December 2019
    CoH, hands down for most wanted.

Actually, make my second choice SWTOR.
    Although I'd prefer them taking the FFXIV route and cutting down on the voice acting in favor of making something more sustainable, where they don't constantly have to parcel out which companion gets a tiny bit of character development next.

And obviously with a much better engine than the current game suffers from.
    Blaze_Rocker

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I loved the matrix online. Definitely that one.
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 684
    Earth & Beyond, Auto Assault, Spellborn, Hellgate, Tabula Rasa, MXO, AC2, Warhammer Online, CoH/X, Vanguard. And then enough hours in the day and a winning lottery ticket in order to retire and play them all. That's not too much to ask for I think...
    Myrdynn
  • SeidrSeidr Member UncommonPosts: 18
    edited December 2019
    Star Wars: Galaxies
    Just remake it, period.

Neocron:
    It had a lot of things right, and was the only fps mmo that filled both of the roles even semi decently.
    That would be nice to see again.

Tabula Rasa:
    The only problem, that mattered, with this game was that it was unpopular. I don't know is it worth remaking, but it is too bad that its run ended as it did.

Warhammer Online:
    Unpopular for some odd reason, it was a WoW clone that was twice as good as WoW.
    Again, not sure is it worth remaking as such, but take the concept and make Warhammer 40k mmo. Tabula Rasa meets SW galaxies meets Warhammer mmo that you can play first person in combat, that would be just a win in every way possible
    Blaze_Rocker
  • rosej90rosej90 Member UncommonPosts: 20
    Aion,Secret World, Age of Conan Unchained. Maybe bad games but i like them lol
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Late to the party, so just a +1 to TSW and Auto Assault.
  • PhaenPhaen Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Age of Conan and The Secret World, both great games or at least concepts but could do with a refresh and more open world feel. Black Desert also, great game but just missing the PVE mmo challenge.
    Make AoC and TSW in the Black Desert engine and you'd have some truely epic games.
  • Haki88Haki88 Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Silkrad Online
  • NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,128
    Fantasy Earth
    Shining Force Online
    Knight Online

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Threads like these are an ignorant gamer's slap in the face of every developer that had a passion for massively multiplayer games and risked something and collectively spent lifetimes making them.
    With many of those developers.....if all they got was a slap in the face, they should walk away feeling it was their lucky day.
    Slapshot1188
  • BellomoBellomo Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Tera and Age of Conan
  • syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    star wars galaxies. and warhammer online .
  • buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Star Wars Galaxy
    Dark Age of Camelot
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    A remake is sort of insinuating a better game which is likely NOT what would happen.

Furthermore what could the developer do to actually warrant a remake?So my fave being FFXI,it already has a ton of spells and abilities,i doubt there is any room to think of many more,so it would just be same old or worse.

To warrant a remake,systems would have to better,group design would have to better.Instead MOST mmo's are just single player games with a login screen.So if they remade those they would again just be a single player game with a login screen.

I think a better idea would be to ask what would we like to see improved or changed in our fave mmo's.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    The last thing this already saturated genre needs are remakes.

An EQ remake? Why. The level based fantasy themepark market is covered. At the point you "remake" it in a way that would compete with the current market you are just creating EQ3.

UO Remake? The fanboi in me says YES. The realistic in me says LOL. I don't see a realistic way to recreate what UO had in today's gaming market. I doubt we see another true financially viable sandbox until VR is more widespread.

The current selection of mmos is actually great between private and official offerings. The genre itself is what needs re-imagined for the new gaming and business climate.
     I've been here a while...
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    I would like WOW remade for Virtual Reality :-). Would love to see a more modern version of LOTRO as well.

There Is Always Hope!

• MrTugglesMrTuggles Member UncommonPosts: 188
    MrTuggles said:
    Threads like these are an ignorant gamer's slap in the face of every developer that had a passion for massively multiplayer games and risked something and collectively spent lifetimes making them.
    I spent about 8 hours making the turd that I just flushed down the toilet. Even though I put a lot of time and effort into that, it was still a turd.
    That's a crude analogy, and false to begin with, it took millions of dollars and tens of thousands of man hours if not hundreds of thousands to make any of the games listed here. And the coordination of large teams spanning across a large variety of disciplines from 3d artists to programmers to foley artists and musicians or game designers.

I can make crude analogies too.

Anyone can trash talk a Rembrandt painting for hours on end, write pointless text walls on the internet on how it's just a stupid portrait that took a few weeks to make, or that any phone camera these days can provide a far more photo-realistic image and call the painting worthless, but we all know in truth that none of us could replicate such work without enormous effort, luck and well aligned circumstances.
    And anyone who dismisses such work is understood to have missed its nuanced nature.

Wasn't trash-talking anything or the effort they put into these. You make it seem like it is their life's work. It isn't. It is just what they do for a living. Most games fail. Developers know that most games fail. They still get a paycheck, they move on to the next company, get their paycheck, the game fails, rinse-repeat.
    The fact that so many people are attempting to penetrate the market, and so many games are getting made are what causes these games to fail. UO was a success because there was one other MMO at the time. EQ was such a success because there was only one other MMO at the time. WoW was a success because there were only 3 dated MMOs at the time. In today's market, we have HUNDREDS of games to choose from. The market is segmented to the point where it will take an act of God to bring it back under the reign of a few titles.

• LiberitonLiberiton Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Tabula Rasa. Warmed my broken heart that people remember it so fondly. I loved the run and gun feel, the mechanics of cover and shooting. And the map events where you tried to hold a point or take one against hoard's of ugly aliens. Just warm and fuzzy.
    sschrupp
  • Dony07Dony07 Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning ( had the best PVP from all MMO games )
  • mrbill20mrbill20 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Firefall
    sschrupp
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited December 2019
    First would be Horizons, but also Auto Assault and Fallen Earth; Preferably together.

The original Age of Conan faction server had a lot of potential as well, until Funcom deleted it. Also, World of Darkness deserves a mention.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    It seems like nobody liked EQ2 on here ,but for me a remake with 2019/20 graphics would be great
    Blaze_RockerGladDog