Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMOs Would You Want Remade? - Michael Bitton - MMORPG.com

Comments

• MrTugglesMrTuggles Member UncommonPosts: 188
    Lord of the Rings Online.
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815

mandark91 said:

Lineage 2. It seems to be a matter of time tho. They are remaking it in Unreal Engine 4. I just hope it's not pay to win but buy to play.

This but with wasd controls.
  • asfaraslarryasfaraslarry Member UncommonPosts: 31
    I know City of Titans is a thing, but those character models are 'really' ugly, so I'd pick City of Heroes as one.

I'd also love a PvE focused ArcheAge. Shame to have all those neat houses and farms and boats and trade routes in the middle of 'k3kl0lzp3wr0fl'. I made the best of it for a few years, but ultimately had to go.

I see Vanguard listed. That was another game I wanted to play, and tried before release, but was ultimately not something I'd play because of the 'hard core EQ' slant. A Vanguard that was more about co-op, like GW2, would have been great. I think the world and crafting and diplomacy were all great, other than the whole forced grouping, corpse run, etc, things.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

• UkurvUkurv Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Warhammer online
  • koldmiserkoldmiser Member RarePosts: 348
    DAoC was my first MMO (Shadow Knights Morgan Le Fay!!!) and I tried going back to it. Dang that's rough to play. I would love to see an updated version of that.

I would love to see a new version of City of Heroes, but it should NOT be linked with any other franchise as the author suggested. It worked, because you didn't have any preconceived ideas about this world or the people in it. We got to be our own heroes/villains.
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    A new Star Wars one or the Kingdoms of Amalur one to release or a new Tolkien one.
    Matrix would be cool, with 4 coming out in theaters.
    There are tons of other Sci-Fi/Fantasy IP's already available to create new games from that I wouldn't mind as well.
    It's tough with the LONG dev time though.
    It would be great if a game has been totally under wraps for years and just comes out some day, with little warning.
    We start seeing some cool ads appear and then a month later BOOM.

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    I'd say that Michael Bitton chose my preferred three games. The only one he missed was Star Wars Galaxies.
    GladDog

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

lahnmir said:

1. Anarchy Online
    2. Anarchy Online
    3. Anarchy Online 
    4. Tabula Rasa

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

These top 3 right here.....Never played TR though....But the rest....yeah.
  • kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Vanguard and FFXI, easy choices :)
  • HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282
    I'd agree with most of the rest of the names being brought up, but I'd venture one other....

Fallen Earth

The post apocalyptic setting was great, and so was the crafting, and I'd love to see something with a different setting than the standard fantasy type we see too much of these days.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I am assuming that by "remake", you don't just mean a new game with the same IP? But instead, basically the same game with just a few improvements to modernise it, which is what a remake should be.

SWG is defs top of the list (pre-cu).

Beyond the expected graphics and animations updates of a remake, the main thing I'd be looking to update would be a balancing / update pass of skills, maybe implementing some of the things that were originally intended for launch but never made it in. Main thing though would be a combat pass. I liked that it was tab-target, but actual combat was pretty shallow, most templates really didn't use that many skills and a lot was on macros. I'd like it to be more engaging, have more depth.

WAR would be second on the list.

I think EAWare had an interesting concept for the game, but their lack of experience meant they made some massive mistakes. First and foremost, you need an engine to support the massively multiplayer PvP. Next thing is horizontal progression. You cannot have a PvP focused MMO built on vertical progression, especially not as steep as it was. Once you've got that sorted, you can build out the rest of the game, put in the four missing capitol cities or, preferably, remake the game with 3 realms, not just 2. (hell, go bigger, give us a realm for each race!). Would be nice if they got player collisions working a bit better too so we could get squad formations working well.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    So many old MMOs that could just get a graphics update and be released. I know its easier to do this with solo player games but a re-mastered MMORPG, how long before we get one?
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    SWG around about July-November 2004.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    DAOC
    The Once and Future King!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Rhoklaw said:
    Reading the title of the thread, I already had my response before opening it. The only game that truly made a difference in my gaming history is Star Wars Galaxies. As for Dark Age of Camelot, I only loved that game because it did PvP vs PvE properly, so that isn't exactly something that can't be implemented easily. EverQuest was my first true MMO experience and I will always love it for the game that it is. Now, Anarchy Online... that is a game I can compare to being immersive enough to the likes of Star Wars Galaxies.

So I would take Star Wars Galaxies or Anarchy Online.
    I beg to differ.  If DAoC was so easy to replicate then it would have been done.  All attempts so far have failed.    DAoC really had what we called "Ream Pride" where you identified with your chosen realm and despised the other factions.  Today's games are all just 2 or more mirror image realms that are the same except for a name.

Camelot Unchained has a lot of what DAoC had but seems to be missing the whole PvE part which really drove the game.  We shall see.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MurmaiderMurmaider Member UncommonPosts: 123
    I can't pick just one.

I'd have to say Asherons Call, DAoC, SWG, LoTRO and Tabula Rasa
    Clutch586
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    NWN
    SWG

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• OhnamOhnam Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Shadowbane. Best pvp
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    I'd want just about any MMO that wasn't written for a console. DAOC, Vanguard, etc, would be great.

What I don't want is another ESO style console MMO, where you only get a few skills at a time, and the inventory system is a throwback.
    GladDog

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• Rivan12Rivan12 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Ultima Online
    Dungeons and Dragons Online
    Ultima Online
    Lotro
    and
    Ultima Online
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Asheron's Call and its not even close

a more obscure would be Auto Assault
  • MrTugglesMrTuggles Member UncommonPosts: 188
    edited December 2019
    Threads like these are an ignorant gamer's slap in the face of every developer that had a passion for massively multiplayer games and risked something and collectively spent lifetimes making them.
    I spent about 8 hours making the turd that I just flushed down the toilet. Even though I put a lot of time and effort into that, it was still a turd.
    Blaze_Rockerrosej90
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    MrTuggles said:
    Threads like these are an ignorant gamer's slap in the face of every developer that had a passion for massively multiplayer games and risked something and collectively spent lifetimes making them.
    I spent about 8 hours making the turd that I just flushed down the toilet. Even though I put a lot of time and effort into that, it was still a turd.
    That's a crude analogy, and false to begin with, it took millions of dollars and tens of thousands of man hours if not hundreds of thousands to make any of the games listed here. And the coordination of large teams spanning across a large variety of disciplines from 3d artists to programmers to foley artists and musicians or game designers.

I can make crude analogies too.

Anyone can trash talk a Rembrandt painting for hours on end, write pointless text walls on the internet on how it's just a stupid portrait that took a few weeks to make, or that any phone camera these days can provide a far more photo-realistic image and call the painting worthless, but we all know in truth that none of us could replicate such work without enormous effort, luck and well aligned circumstances.
    And anyone who dismisses such work is understood to have missed its nuanced nature.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree, big time. Threads like these show those games people care about and love that they want to see them continued, polished, upgraded etc., ready or revived for the future to be loved and cherished some more. What you took away out of all of that was people being dissatisfied with what the designers offered in the first place and its not remotely the same.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Amathe
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Well Everquest for sure just to upgrade the graphics and combat animations. Anarchy Online and Dark Age of Camelot for sure.
    Amathe