Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

introverts vs extroverts

2»

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    IDK why you feel people need to be one or the other. I suspect I'm just like most people and have no compulsion to be either hyper-social nor a loner 100% of the time. I do both at different times in MMOs.

It's hard to beat the fun of rolling with a good group and doing all those bits of the game that you never do playing solo, and I'm not just talking about raids and such: there are a lot of skills that never get fully used unless you group.

But then sometimes I don't want to do that and I get the "others as background noise" appeal in those times as being at least different, if not better than being truly solo in a single player game.

I guess that makes me a multivert. :)
    maskedweasel
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I prefer to be alone to a certain degree, but i wonder if that is because my daily job entails talking with random people all day. So when i get home, last thing i want to do is talk to people when im home.

If i didnt talk to people for several days, it would be weird to see what happens, because it never happens but i feel id seek out social interaction.

To this day, im not sure if im an introvert or an extrovert. 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Maybe use a phonetic computer voice at log in on Discord that sounds like Stephen Hawking saying:

"I'm just not that into you."
    IselinAlBQuirkyScot

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    Such a fucking self serving attitude. I want to come into your game and ruin your experience so I can mold it into an experience I can get in other genres then I tell you to piss off because you get angry. Introverts and extroverts does not exist in a video game media form, unless it is voice communication. Get over yourself, jesus. Stop trying to ruin something other people like for your own self interests. Massively Multiplayer online role playing game. That means you are going to be forced to interact with others at some point despite to developers catering to your ridiculous demands.
    Spoken like someone with no direct experience or knowledge about what they are ranting about. Neither of these qualities are confined by necessity solely to voice communication. The manner and extent of how they affect interactions with others is highly dependent on the individual.

Contrary to your claim I have played very few MMORPGs that force me to interact with others in order to play. Many had content that required a group but it was seldom mandatory to do it to continue to advance my character. Group dependence is easy to avoid.

Massive multi-player online simply requires that a massive number of people can concurrently play. It says nothing about those people needing to play with each other. The quality of your play experience is your responsibility. It is not the job of others to cater to your whims of how a MMORPG should be played or particularly care about your self-inflicted woe over their choice to play them in a manner not suited to your liking.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    I prefer to be alone to a certain degree, but i wonder if that is because my daily job entails talking with random people all day. So when i get home, last thing i want to do is talk to people when im home.

If i didnt talk to people for several days, it would be weird to see what happens, because it never happens but i feel id seek out social interaction.

To this day, im not sure if im an introvert or an extrovert. 
    once I spend a week without people around talking with me, since it was end of year everyone was traveling or busy and I stay at home to rest.

BEST WEEK EVER
    CryomatrixAlBQuirky
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    I like playing solo in MMO's. Most of the time it's because it's hard to find people that I like that can play at the same times that I can.  

I find that if I spend my time attempting to play with other people, I lose interest in games faster because the people I find that I really enjoy talking to and playing with all have different schedules. 

I've run guilds, I've created in game events, and been part of many guilds... and yet, the majority of what I end up doing is soloing.  

I also find that I have little in common with the most vocal MMO players that troll and tease others, when they aren't attacking one another.  The only time I find myself ever talking in map chat is to answer questions. 

From the outside, it would seem like I'm introverted, but I like helping people, and I like making meaningful connections with like minded gamers, but it's so rare in the MMOs of today. 

In that way I can understand those that just want to be left alone. 

AlBQuirky

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited December 2019
    Gorwe said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    Gorwe said:
    Sovrath said:
    I've always been introverted, to the extent that if a business depends on me to sell their product it would go bankrupt. I don't mind grouping in mmorpgs to do certain activities, but if voip is required i couldn't smash ALT-F4 hard enough.

EDIT: funny enough, both playing mmorpgs and talking on this forum have helped me be a bit more open IRL. Still a proud introverted though.
    A while ago someone did a poll here and it seemed that the majority here (at least those who stood up to be counted) were introverts.

I wonder how that stands up to other mmorpg players? Or online players? 
    Most are INxx types, mark my words! Yeah, that came from behind, so what? :)

Also, I wouldn't be so certain of energy expenditure thingy. Sure, it's one of telltale signs, but it's not the only one. All the "top ranking" measuremrnts have 5-6 subdomains / facets of Extraversion(among other things). The energy expenditure is probably "Gregariousness" or something like it.

I also get what you are saying, but it also has a lot to do with the other person. The more I need to "fake it till I make it", the more drained I become. But then again, I become drained by not doing anything too.

I firmly believe in Ambiversion, which makes perfect sense from the continuum side. [35%, 65%] and all.
    I'm sure someone has some tests/results studies that look into it and mark x amount of divisions in all of it.

It's just that's not the first time I've had an introvert tell me that it takes more energy for them to be in social situations.

I've never had an extrovert comment on it, myself included. Never really made note of it other than I prefer more people than less people.
    It all depends. And this is where most standard testing fails. Example: would you rather be surrounded by a bunch of dickwads or be alone? Another example of that would be: would you rather be surrounded by a bunch of polite people or be alone? Etc.

Also, how is that energy defined? What are the "symptoms" of "energy drain"? Also, which social situations?

I know that's a LOT of (probably hard) questions, but it's useful to ask them imo. Otherwise we might get caught up in an untrue circlejerk. And who wants that? ;)
    I get what you're saying, but wonder how complicated this needs to be.

Ordinary situations:
    Night club. BOTH dickwads and nice people there.
    Sporting events. BOTH dickwads and nice people there.

If one gains energy from these 2 ordinary situations, they're more likely an extrovert. If one loses energy, probably an introvert.

Your introduction of dickwads vs courteous people is a red herring, though I get what you're saying :)
    Again, depends on what is going on in there. Are other people the whole point of it or are they just a side dish of sorts? Are they important at all?

Regardless, I'm going too granular probably. I'll agree that this is a major influence. But I have another "but".

But what about Ambiverts? Or other influences from employment etc. Even the biggest Extras can probably get tired of people if they deal with people the whole day(call center or whatever).
    Introvert/extrovert is all about "other people." It's also about energy, which is what you're missing. Can introverts have fun with other people? Of course!

When they get home, they crash and become scarce until they can recharge their energy again.

I'm an introvert, no doubt about it. I go to parties or social functions and I fret and worry and by the time I get home, I'm ready to sleep for a day or two. But I can go to parties and have a great time.

Think less about "the social function" and more about the time before the function (preparation) and post function (crash). That tells much more the difference between extroverts and introverts. It's not at all about what a person is capable of doing, but how they react to it.
    Gorwe

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    skidude said:
    Escapism can be great in total silence.
    Welcome to the forums! :D
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Wizardry said:
    Your argument makes ZERO sense,your playing a MMO...WHY if all you want is to be left alone <<<SOLO?

This type of argument is like saying a single minded player/athlete be it in  baseball,hockey,soccer "pick ANY team sport"should allow a solo minded player to play in the same league.

These TEAM/group ideas are designed top be THAT way,done in a group a TEAM.If you asked any sport minded person that has played within a TEAM atmosphere ,there needs to be >>>wait for it>>>>>communication.

That is how you LEARN,by communicating with others,you learn everything about different classes,roles within a group,the enemies,hidden or tough to know game content ideas.

I can use FFXI as an example.When i started i had no idea what a sub job even was or that is existed.I did do some early searches and saw players with what seemed like two classes listed but did not understand.Then i met a friendly player who then asked for my help and afterwards asked if i wanted help to get a subjob.I asked a few questions and promptly said yes i would like the help.

Once i got the sub job i was like,,WOW this is amazing,wish i knew this earlier.However the quest needed to get the subjob was not some easy to see NPC standing there with a marker over it's head literally giving you the easy quest.It took communication with another player to learn it and where the quest actually was and what i needed and where to go to get it done.
    I play the biggest MMO in the world alone everyday. its called Real Life. So MMO != "No Lone Time Ever"

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited December 2019
    I did that Myers personality test and i was something like:
    I - 69%
    N - 64%
    T - 56%
    P - 53%

What I find to be the case is IRL I don't feed on other people in social situations where I'M INVOLVED. it's too much work. Otherwise, I like people to be around in the background--just like the OP says. However, I like to unwind and the only real way to do that is have time alone, like here on the computer. I don't have any friends--never really have had very many. I've always felt bad about that. Ashamed.

But when I played Everquest it's like I almost became extroverted. I loved to chat. I loved hte atmosphere. It has always been an interesting thing for me to consider. I can look at it from different angles to try to explain it. It conflicts somewhat with everything else I've done. I used to chat a lot in the 1990's, but that's not the same as Everquest. I've used forums a lot, but that's not the same either. I still favor MMORPG's with original Everquest design or inspiration--like Saga of Lucimia.

When I'm with people I feel like I'm trying to use a strange device and i'm pressing different buttons and not sure if it's working. Since the first time I used computers they felt comfortable. Bugs and weird design cause trouble, but otherwise I was always far more comfortable with computers than people. Turht is though, I like myself more when I'm out there in the world with others--even thoguh it feels like work.

I sympathize with the OP.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
    AlBQuirky
    edited December 2019
    Scot said:
    NorseGod said:
    bonzoso21 said:
    I'm closer to the OPs point of view than not, although I don't find it at all difficult to politely turn down people's group requests, I occasionally use LFG/LFR and am not afraid to provide input when I do, and I sometimes pay attention to zone and trade chats and answer questions. 90% of my MMO playing is done solo or grouped with one or two people I know in real life, but since I'm not an awkward jerk when I tell someone I'm not interested in their group, it's not my problem if they get offended or annoyed by my rejection.
    I agree.

Taking it further, I don't usually join guilds. I always feel like I'm only there to help the guild leader and his 2 friends get awesome gear, while I'm just there to be fodder.
    Bad experiences like this can push you to solo, but you need to find a good guild that's all. There are warning signs even before you join, like does it have a forum? What is the guild most interested in doing: "We only raid, nothing matters but the raid" can be a red flag, but not necessarily so if that's what you want to do.

As for the OP, you join a massive multiplayer online game and then seem surprised when other players want to interact with you. And from some of your examples we are talking about helpful types who just want to see if you need a hand with a quest. Thats good community, it is like gold dust in MMO's now days partly because solo players react so violently against it.

As others have said you can just tell people you don't want to join in, people who offer to help tend to understand. In most MMOs you can switch off private tells, local chat, have a message in your profile saying you want to stay solo, in some MMOs many locations will take you into a local instance on your own. All these things in a game which is meant to be massive multiplayer.

And still they complain.

LOL. I'm currently playing on Firiona vie in Everquest. Lately I been soloing up in levels. I want to join a guild because I'll level a lot faster that way. I been putting it off, not sure why. Maybe because it has always been my nature to tough it out. I love to survive in games. When others help me, it makes things more boring because it because it feels like I'm not earning things, or it's too easy.

This is not at all like I was with my  guild about 10 years ago. I was very social. I did solo a lot but that's because I didn't have the latest expansions. I did also like to level lock, but that was because we were on a pvp server. otherwise I grouped a lot and my guild was like my family. I later joined a raid guild and that too was very social. Veyr regimented though. Many of htem were IRL military. with the way Everquest raids were, and how complicated it was to setup a websote and organize everything, I'm not surprised there were so many veterans. Good memories with them. What I learned was just how much it required to get to that stage--it's underestimated so many players who expect it to just be a big group-based encounter. I can see raiding being watered down... It gave me a healthy respect for raiders. I ultimately got burnt out after a couple months because the shedules were intense. I don't regret it for one moment.

I agree none of us are exclusively introverted or extroverted. Personally I tihnk we ALL need some time alone or with others. When things become extreme I don't think that's generally a good thing.
    Gorwe
    edited December 2019
    Gorwe said:
    (skip)
    That sounds more like INTJ(also, you're not messed up, that's just PoLR speaking - unless you really, clinically are, but that's different). Regardless, more of the same and most of people round these parts are either I or N or both. And I say this with utmost certainty.
    I did the test a couple times seperated by some years. Both times the score was similar. In both cases my P was weak--like about 54%. My T was weak at about 58%. I'm not surprised if I was a J according to the test.

Regardless there's much skepticsm about what  the Myers-Brigs (spelling) tests mean. For example, they looked at them and the results for a sample of epople and found it had no bearing on the jobs they worked. I guess I"m not surprised. I studied comptuer science and what's my job? I work with housekeepers doing hotel work. My hobbies (i've programmed a lot) don't mesh with my career either.

I found an old file and here were the results:
    Introverted (I) 67.86% Extroverted (E) 32.14%
    Intuitive (N) 68.57% Sensing (S) 31.43%
    Thinking (T) 53.13% Feeling (F) 46.88%
    Perceiving (P) 54.55% Judging (J) 45.45%

I wrote this in another file--same time period:
    Distrubtion in global population:
    ISFJ               13.8%
    ESFJ                12.3%
    ISTJ             11.6%
    ISFP                8.8%
    ESTJ                8.7%
    ESFP                8.5%
    ENFP               8.1%
    ISTP                5.4%
    INFP               4.4%
    ESTP               4.3%
    INTP              3.3%
    ENTP              3.2%
    ENFJ              2.5%
    INTJ             2.1%
    ENTJ             1.8%
    INFJ             1.5%

From that, a few, umm, cross-sections...

The most common designations in each category (2 in each):
    Personality has a E: 50.9%
    Personality has a S: 73.1%
    Personality has a F: 59.9%
    Personality has a J: 54.3%

First two designations:
    Personality has IS: 39.6%
    Personality has ES: 33.8%
    Personality has EN: 15.6%
    Personality has IN: 11.3%

Last two designations:
    Personality has FJ: 30.1%
    Personality has FP: 29.8%
    Personality has TJ: 24.2%
    Personality has TP: 16.2%

Personality with N?? (lowest to highest rate):
    NTJ 3.9%
    NFJ 4.0%
    NTP 6.5%
    NFP 12.5%

Personality with N?? (in same order as S??):
    NTP 6.5%
    NFP 12.5%
    NTJ 3.9%
    NFJ 4.0%

Personality with S?? (lowest to highest rate):
    STP 9.7%
    SFP 17.3%
    STJ 20.3%
    SFJ 26.1%

Personality with S?? (in same order as N??):
    STJ 20.3%
    SFJ 26.1%
    STP 9.7%
    SFP 17.3%
    AlBQuirkycameltosis
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Tiller said:
    in mmorpgs CANNOT comprehend each other

stop assuming because i can chat to you on a forum that means i want to be your friend on discord

no

elevated super no

i don't want you in my life

i don't need you to accomplish my quest

i don't hate you

but if you kick me off your server or treat me like crap cause i don't want to talk to you

then i will hate you

and yes introverts have the right to play multiplayer games just like everyone else

stop forcing us to be like you, extro

I love the noise of people all around me.  I have lived in the country and in the city and honestly I get nightmares in the country.  It is suppose to be the ideal life but it creeps me out bad.  I have to live in a city to sleep peaceful at night (or day).  With sirens going off etc.  I need you to be my background noise.  In real life and in games.  So yeah I the introvert will be there in your multiplayer game.  Acting like an npc.  An introvert who does not want to be your friend.  Or help you "fight the boss."  Leave me alone.  But don't treat me like crap.  I'm not doing it, this lone wolf stuff, to be mean.  I like you.  Like I like trees and pretty lakes.  You are my noise.  Stay in my back ground.  Get out of my face and stop trying to be my friend.  I have no polite way to tell you to fuck off without hurting your feelings and it is annoying.

This should go on a plaque somewhere.

Or he could just say ‘No thank you.’

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AlBQuirky
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    That's not an introvert personality. That attitude is straight up anti-social.
    Gorwe

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    AlBQuirky said:
    In EQ, the request came via a little chatbox. In the very few MMOs I play now, group requests, friends requests come in a pop-up box, nearly the size of the MMO's cash shop advert. Nearly.

Maybe I just don't play the MMOs where you can "just ignore" the request?

I use the "block" messages/requests functions built into the game and in other games I use addons to block extra things.  I have been playing WoW again for the first time in over 10 years and immediately blocked duel requests, guild invites, group invites, pet duel requests, etc.  It makes for a nice, peaceful game.  :)
    AlBQuirky
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Gorwe said:
    That's not an introvert personality. That attitude is straight up anti-social.
    I felt like this is necessary: "What is the difference between asocial and antisocial?" (be a sweetie and answer for others, I fully know the difference)
    Asocial is uninterested, whereas anti-social does something to harm others or social relationships.

I agree with Azaron that OP's attitude is anti-social. If he, as he says "I have no polite way to tell you to fuck off without hurting your feelings", then he's likely being treated like crap because he is a crap who can't decline politely when he gets a polite question.
    Azaron_NightbladeGorwe