Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Extreme ideas

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
I notice a lot of naysayers of Old school have a something in common. 
They focus on the extreme bad...... I agree !

Extreme ideas such as 30 man 12 hour raids, and camping 3 days for loot, or forcing the player to play 6 hours... Their not for everyone, infact only for few.  

Anything extreme should be optional and a very small percentage of the game. 

To implement anything extreme the game has to be "large enough" to support all types of play short, long and extreme. The player should be able to play the entire game of any of the three categories all the way to it's end separately.

An mmorpgs must be large...... This is the key to EVERYTHING !..... It's why newer mmorpgs fail. 

Vanilla World of Warcraft was that large game, it's why it's always number one. It supports everything, short long and extreme.

Everyone can co-exist.  Time permitting the short player can play long or extreme.... It's called do what you want.

In order to test a healthy mmorpg:
The players should be able to play hours without having to do any combat..... Enjoyable content. 

Unfortunately everything newer would fail this test. 
ScotChimborazo

Comments

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    My main reason for quit an MMORPG is the reward don't worth enough for me to keep play it .

What importance when gaming is the reward , not a challenge .

There old saying in the wild west "for a few dollars more"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Err, newer MMOS? Where?

Pro tip, WOW was an anomaly which will never reoccur again, at least not in the AAA MMORPG space.

Accept this and move on, or learn to embrace SC.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Kyleran said:
    Err, newer MMOS? Where?

Pro tip, WOW was an anomaly which will never reoccur again, at least not in the AAA MMORPG space.

Your right a large game will never reoccur again, so no more real mmoprgs. Game has to be large to work, no cramped garbage. 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I read this post three times and still don't understand it.

The points seemed to be:

1. WoW is wonderful;

2. Games should be big;

3. There should be lots of things to do;

4. Time intensive activities are bad (mostly).

5.  You should not have to do combat.

So, um, ok. Good to know?
    [Deleted User]Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    I take from Deletes posts the bits I like, why are people taking a pop at old school and yes MMO's should be big. So he gets an awesome for that, trying to work it all out is beyond me. :)
    AmatheMendel[Deleted User]Kyleran
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Scot said:
    I take from Deletes posts the bits I like, why are people taking a pop at old school and yes MMO's should be big. So he gets an awesome for that, trying to work it all out is beyond me. :)
    It's too early for that much work.  At least his usual Friday posts give us an entire weekend to decipher it.

AmatheKyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Kyleran said:
    Err, newer MMOS? Where?

Your right a large game will never reoccur again, so no more real mmoprgs. Game has to be large to work, no cramped garbage. 
    Speaking of old school games, what old school mmorpg's did you play where you got a character to max level? Just curious.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Amathe said:

The points seemed to be:

1. WoW is wonderful;

2. Games should be big;

Everyone here complains about how Old school is nothing but extreme stuff such as 30 man raids and camping for hours for a spawn and a few other examples. 

Well, how about larger games were you don't have to focus only on the extreme bad things people are complaining about ?

Nothing wrong with the each example, some people like them, others like them in moderation. mmoprgs should be large and have everything or don't even call the mmorpg's.

My understanding of an mmorpg is it should be a life outside of your own....Get it now ?
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Trouble with shoehorning old school vets together is that they want different things.

EQ1 is different from Ultimate Online is different from Guild Wars 1 is different from Vanilla WoW is different from Dark Age of Camelot is different from SWG.

Which one is the old school geezer? Are all of them? They all want different things and the same criticisms don't apply to everyone.

I want a game like Guild Wars 1. No mob camping, time wasters, or other common criticisms of old school online games there.
    Kyleran
    Aeander said:
    Trouble with shoehorning old school vets together is that they want different things.

EQ1 is different from Ultimate Online is different from Guild Wars 1 is different from Vanilla WoW is different from Dark Age of Camelot is different from SWG.

Which one is the old school geezer? Are all of them? They all want different things and the same criticisms don't apply to everyone.

I want a game like Guild Wars 1. No mob camping, time wasters, or other common criticisms of old school online games there.
    Why can't a game be for old geezers, and young punks ?

I know why, no one wants to make a full game like Vanilla WoW !
    Everyone here complains about how Old school is nothing but extreme stuff such as 30 man raids and camping for hours for a spawn and a few other examples. 

30 players is not a large raid for EQ, for example.

And what is a large game?

Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:

Its a Trap!
    AmatheKyleranAmaranthar
    Scot said:
    Amathe said:

Its a Trap!
    So I guess we have a parley going, me against 30 of you. Count me in  :p
    If I was Dolores Umbridge, I would have you write lines with my quill that say:

I have never played an old school game and know nothing about them.

Etc.
    kitaradKyleran

Amathe said:

Etc.
    How can you say this, if my post made absolutely no sense to you ?
  • WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    The gaming formula is pretty simple and universal to everyone. Play the game you like and play that game how you like. It doesnt matter if you are a casual or a poop-socker. Just play the game and don't worry about what anyone else is doing.
    Kyleran
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    Amathe said:

Etc.
    How can you say this, if my post made absolutely no sense to you ?
    Oooo! Good point. lol

Once upon a time....

• HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 913
    We say nay !! We are the nights who say NII !!

Amathe said:

The points seemed to be:

1. WoW is wonderful;

2. Games should be big;

I just realized something, You understand this post completely  ;)

You covered everything !

WoW is wonderful is not fitting for this post at least.  It's more like WoW is most successful because its a LARGE and FULL game.  However to contradict myself, WoW is wonderful because of this.  But it's been going in a negative direction because of expansions, and this is another topic that's not fitting for this post.

When it comes down to it LARGE and FULL is everything...... In most cases a game would cover every aspect for players to find a home.  It would make an mmorpg feel like an alternate reality.

edited December 2019
    Amathe said:

It would make an mmorpg feel like an alternate reality.

Hence my signature catch phrase.

Happy Friday

Scot

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Amathe said:

It would make an mmorpg feel like an alternate reality.

Hence my signature catch phrase.

Happy Friday

The trouble was we never saw social media coming, now they inhabit that.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    This thread seriously started to depress me cause there is no long term consistency in MMORPG genre at all. It was just discarded like some old clothes. It was a specific culture and the roots of that culture sold then resold or shut down like it's no big deal. Who wouldn't walk away from a genre you pumped years of your LIFE into for those reasons. Sure you can play a shady emu or trust your cc info to some unknown overseas company but that experience just feels back alley dirty.

Try Reign of Darkness on Steam it's the closest recently made game that mirrors my old MMORPG experiences in terms of character building and relying on others to progress.
    delete5230
    BruceYee said:
    This thread seriously started to depress me cause there is no long term consistency in MMORPG genre at all. It was just discarded like some old clothes. It was a specific culture and the roots of that culture sold then resold or shut down like it's no big deal. Who wouldn't walk away from a genre you pumped years of your LIFE into for those reasons. Sure you can play a shady emu or trust your cc info to some unknown overseas company but that experience just feels back alley dirty.

Try Reign of Darkness on Steam it's the closest recently made game that mirrors my old MMORPG experiences in terms of character building and relying on others to progress.
    Agree, I wouldn't say depressed but disappointed.

This genre moved like three steps away from what an mmorpg is ! 
    Their not mmorpg's at all... but games online.

Most here that decided to stick around are the excepting types.... The types that are able to be pushed around, or just using this site for a chat room and know mmorpgs are gone. 

mmorpg players are millions, they find no reason to stick here and argue.

A real mmorpg would be a smash hit BECAUSE THEIR ARE MILLIONS, just not here anymore. 
    Kyleran
    edited December 2019
    delete5230 saidui:
    BruceYee said:

Most here that decided to stick around are the excepting types.... The types that are able to be pushed around, or just using this site for a chat room and know mmorpgs are gone. 

A real mmorpg would be a smash hit BECAUSE THEIR ARE MILLIONS, just not here anymore. 
    Such masterful use of irony, well played sir.

Of course there are millions of people who play MMORPGSs, WOW Classic recently proved this.

Thing is, most of them are just game players who happen to also play MMORPGs, as well as shooters,  sports games etc.

Heck, they'll play prit near anything, even totally crap games have little problem getting an audience, at least if only for a short while.

True dyed in the wool, plays MMORPGs and only MMORPGS (they were legion back in the day), yeah, they are mostly gone now, heck even I'm not one anymore....

and you never were.

;)

edited December 2019
    Kyleran said:
    delete5230 saidui:
    BruceYee said:

Such masterful use of irony, well played sir.

Of course there are millions of people who play MMORPGSs, WOW Classic recently proved this.

Thing is, most of them are just game players who happen to also play MMORPGs, as well as shooters,  sports games etc.

Heck, they'll play prit near anything, even totally crap games have little problem getting an audience, at least if only for a short while.

True dyed in the wool, plays MMORPGs and only MMORPGS (they were legion back in the day), yeah, they are mostly gone now, heck even I'm not one anymore....

and you never were.

;)
    "And you never were"........ Four words that hit's where it counts...ouch !

Well played sir back at you :)

Being I have no choice but to shrug this off because it's true.... I do have a rebuttal.

I play for social, it's all about others..... I totally play for others well being.  I care about others and in that I find enjoyment.

Unfortunately I'm late and during second generation. I'm jealous by reading countless stories of the social interactions of people playing first generation games.  I would trade my second generation love for first hands down..... Way better concept. 

It's also unfortunate their is NO PLACE TO GO, in trying to live that adventure. 

Most here knows the great "Delete 5230 played P1999 and failed" story, it's actually a famous one here on this site.  Many laughs were had with this. Ya, the fun we have !.... However you know I don't care about embarrassment (it's the internet)... I laughed too... My only regret was the time people wasted in helping me out.... For this I'm sorry.

But the truth being Everquest 1 is BROKEN BADLY,
    And can only be enjoyed by nostalgia players. No one in their right mind would stick around in such a broken game being a new player. 

The work arounds and fixes simply to get the chat, UI and world working in the most crude form are unbearable.

It's as close to unplayable as you can get, yet doable if you have a gun to your head.

I went in unknowingly how bad it really was !

I'm not saying this to prove myself.....
    But their is not a first generation game to play !!!!

Infact I get mad when some tell others to play whats available.... Their is none !

If their is, PLEASE LET EVERYONE KNOW !