Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Officially The Greatest YEAR Ever For SC Crowdfunding

Comments

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Babuinix said:
    Your decision is faith-based.  I rest my case.

I'm not saying you can't make the purchase.  Knock yourself out.  But to act as if crowdfunding any of these games could objectively be considered a prudent consumer move is disingenuous.  Prudent consumers don't give away all the guarantees of purchasing a completed gaming product while paying the exact same price or more.
    Cmon many it's not faith alone, it's also a lot of common sense, if you like the pitch of the idea, the developer background and want to support it's ok to do it. Just be wary of the risks.

That's about knowing how to access risks and investing accordingly to your limitations.

The majority of the early backers who are now into thousands of dollars spent on Star Citizen started most likely with a small package like the rest of us, step by step they liked what they saw and invested more and more.

But this is not just for crowdfunding or gaming, you put money based on past experiences all the time, who here hasn't went to the movies blindly to check a new flick from it's favorite actor / director? Bought a book from your favourite writer without reading any reviews etc

You got it because your past experiences were good so you're willing to take the "risk" of going again even if the movie/books sucks well it's part of the experience, some turn out good others turn out bad that's just how life is.
    Your analogy isn't relevant.  Buying a book or going to a movie you haven't checked out reviews or trailers for is still purchasing a guaranteed product.  The book, or the movie.  And it's ironic that you think you can convince us you somehow accurately assessed the risks of your purchases considering how much this game has evolved from the first purchases and how much the timelines have shifted.

You made a faith-based purchase.  That is what it is.  What it isn't, is an objectively smart purchasing decision.  The intrinsic value you hold for the idea you thought you were backing when you made the purchase doesn't even come into play, because you're not even guaranteed, in any way, to receive the idea you were holding when you forked over your cash.

As such, to get back to the original reason I posted, you really look foolish when you try to claim someone who backed and is critical is just butthurt because they made a poor purchasing decision.  You all made poor purchasing decisions; the only difference is how much you each feel your faith has been answered.
    no need to try and convince them according to most they have already gotten their moneys worth. Its a good thing too because its unlikely they will be getting much more. Unless the donation trains keep going ahead full speed then they can expect a couple more 'updates'.
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Ofc I accessed the "risks", otherwise I wouldn't have pledged lol

You're forgetting that for some people "losing" 35$ is a risk for other's a nuisance.

Yeah I'd say a lot of people I've played and generally come across say they've already got their money's worth, if you consider time played then it already surpassed greatly.

You 2 can both hold hands and cry your hearts out trying to tell someone that's clearly and absolutely happy with the decision he made that he's in the wrong while someone who's mad about that same decision he's in the right.

Won't make it true, the only thing is intelligent astute investors are more prone to get it right than to get it wrong B) That's just the way the cookie crumbles.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited December 2018
    Babuinix said:

You're forgetting that for some people "losing" 35$ is a risk for other's a nuisance.

Yeah I'd say a lot of people I've played and generally come across say they've already got their money's worth, if you consider time played then it already surpassed greatly.

You 2 can both hold hands and cry your hearts out trying to tell someone that's clearly and absolutely happy with the decision he made that he's in the wrong while someone who's mad about that same decision he's in the right.

Won't make it true, the only thing is intelligent astute investors are more prone to get it right than to get it wrong B) That's just the way the cookie crumbles.
    You aren't an investor.  You don't even qualify as that, because your position as a party to your transaction is so poor.
    [Deleted User]

Babuinix said:

You aren't an investor.  You don't even qualify as that, because your position as a party to your transaction is so poor.
    How is it not an investment and how is my position as party is poor if:

- I invested in a product in 2013
    - I like the product as it is now
    - I can profit 600% from my investment if I decide to do so now

Meanwhile I've enjoying thoroughly all these years.

Please explain me again, how my position "is so poor".
    alkarionlog
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    edited December 2018
    Babuinix said:
    Babuinix said:

Youre wrong on many levels. the GAME (or what is supposed to eventually be the game) isnt the 'investmentr', the assets,(the things you think you can get 600% RoI on) it the ships or jpegs or whatever you spent money on. And guess what,  guys sold out years ago on those things and they made more than you did. So even there youre not too 'intelligent'; an investor'.

I made a bit in cryptos last year BTC, ETH and LTC mostly. I got when the getting was good, I sold BTC before they topped out but for a lot more than I paid for them. I hit LTC and ETh pretty square. I watched others who had more than I did (in volume of coins) profit a third or less than I did simply because they held on too long o r sold but then reinvested all their profits and more at a time when the prices were peaked.

You talk about all this shit like you know what youre talking about. These friends of mine knew more about Cryptos than I did they read everything listened to everything took every bit of info and fed it into algorithms and databases. I simply did the Eddie Murphy approach from Trading Places (google it). 

Its all about luck and timing sometimes and educated guesses. I am no dummy and my cynical self always knew they would crash. But guess what I am sitting here now waiting to dump a bunch of LTC I bought for 23 bucks last week. My price was 33 bucks which they have hit twice but I have re-evaluated and thinking 33.70 is possible. is 70 cent 'worth' the risk? To me it is because I am on a free roll and its more of a game now than actually about making money. The difference on a REAL money level is peanuts. but i ts the challenge and 'gamble' of being 'right'. If they crash right back to 28s then what? I sell and still make over 25% I wont sit and cry about the potential 20% I 'lost' trying to eek out another 1% or so.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Erillion said:
    You know what i see ?

A great project with a huge number of supporters that enjoy themselves AND a record breaking very successful crowdfunding campaign that is making history.

With a small number of detractors that - even after years - have not realized that their opposition is in reality helping the project by keeping it in the news.

Have fun
    You’re still on that whole detractors are helping the project thing? You do realize when the detractors post negative news or things that highlight the inadequacies of the project or shine a light on CR’s past it’s not exactly a good thing.

Sure there are probably some people who would see the headline and still buy a package but I’m sure there’s a same amount of people who see the headline and quickly close their wallets.
    Erillion
    edited December 2018
    Babuinix said:
    Babuinix said:

You're not an investor as you're purchasing a copy of a game that might get made and/or items within that game.  Nothing more.  You have no creative input (or any legitimate input at all), and you stand to reap no monetary return from your initial outlay via the success of the product itself.  It's a purchase of a pinky promise, essentially.

Whether you regret your transaction or not has zero bearing on an objective analysis of your poor position as a party to the transaction.

When you consider the consumer to producer transactions available to you throughout the industry, you chose the one that can potentially cost the most (or at least the same as what actual, completed titles cost) while guaranteeing you the least out of any transaction you could make.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Kefo said:
    You’re still on that whole detractors are helping the project thing? You do realize when the detractors post negative news or things that highlight the inadequacies of the project or shine a light on CR’s past it’s not exactly a good thing.

Sure there are probably some people who would see the headline and still buy a package but I’m sure there’s a same amount of people who see the headline and quickly close their wallets.
    The fact I see more and more people checkin in on Star Citizen because they were told it was a scam that would never release.

And then they hear news SC is still around, releasing updates, reaching funding milestones and people start to wonder if the stuff they hear on the internet is actually true. xD

CIG has a smart policy here, the more hate the project gets and the more the game develops, the better the comeback is as they let people try out the game for free and reach their own opinions every now and then. :D 

Watching this effect on people is interesting.
    Erillion
    Babuinix said:
    Babuinix said:

You didn’t invest in anything. You paid money like a preorder except without any of the usual guarantees of receiving a game. You don’t receive dividends from this project, your opinion is worth as much as someone who put in the smallest amount or the largest amount of money. 

The fact you can make money back is just happy luck that people are still willing to pay ridiculous prices for things because of the artificial demand CIG is creating.
    Cmon man. Every decision in you life can be considered an investment. Monetary or emotional.

I've personaly talked with dev's and gave imput that ended up in the game...

Backers dont need sympathy or outsiders aprooval they just need more ships
    Babuinix said:
    Cmon man. Every decision in you life can be considered an investment. Monetary or emotional.

Every blink can be considered a temporary blindness, but we don't say that because it's silly.

Your purchases aren't an investment any more than my giving my buddy a $20 on faith he'll remember to pick me up a case of beer on the way over is an investment in beer or my buddy.

• KhegobierKhegobier Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Threads like these are what made my $25 investment in Star Citizen 6 years ago oh so worth it. 

(I couldn't possibly care less about the game at this point, unless the announcement was "It's done and released.")
    Erillion
    Babuinix said:

Except when it’s not an investment.....kinda like when you backed star citizen.

if backers didn’t need sympathy or approval then why feel the need to defend something so hardcore? If you guys don’t care about anything but the game coming out then leave us pessimists, cynics and haters to our posting instead of jumping in to defend the games honor. 

Queue “I’m not defending the game I’m pointing out how people are wrong”
    Kefo said:
    Babuinix said:

Except when it’s not an investment.....kinda like when you backed star citizen.

if backers didn’t need sympathy or approval then why feel the need to defend something so hardcore? If you guys don’t care about anything but the game coming out then leave us pessimists, cynics and haters to our posting instead of jumping in to defend the games honor. 

Queue “I’m not defending the game I’m pointing out how people are wrong”
    And miss all this fun? Nah.... we're having a blast tbh :D

Instead of making a new thread just updated this one. Year of 2018 ended up being the best ever for Star Citizen, not counting with the external 46 Million funding gotten by the Billionaire extraordinaire there's no doubt that Star Citizen development will keep going stronger and stronger each and every year!

Congrats Citizens! Cya in the Verse! :)

KyleranErillionalkarionlog
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Babuinix said:

Instead of making a new thread just updated this one. Year of 2018 ended up being the best ever for Star Citizen, not counting with the external 46 Million funding gotten by the Billionaire extraordinaire there's no doubt that Star Citizen development will keep going stronger and stronger each and every year!

Congrats Citizens! Cya in the Verse! :)

I'm thinking they should ask Marshmelloe or other hipster performers to do an in game concert.  

Instead of being free like those suckers at Epic did, RI could "sell" tickets, say $25 a pop for smaller acts and more for the big hitters. 

Pure gold, tell Chris I'll let him know what account to send my 10% cut to.

;)
    Scotalkarionlog

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Awesome, there really appears to be no end in sight, either to the amount of crowd funding these titles can raise or an actual release date.

Will be interesting to see where things stand in December 2019.

:D 

Still going strong it seems B)

2019 already is the best funding year to date with still a month to go.
    Erillionalkarionlog
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    13.2 M$ in the last 30 days alone .... thats impressive even for Star Citizen standards

Have fun

alkarionlog
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    I guess actually having a...game.. for people to play that and not needing a computer so expensive that selling your organs is the only viable path.. that helps... 

This have been a good conversation

edited December 2019
    tawess said:
    I guess actually having a...game.. for people to play that and not needing a computer so expensive that selling your organs is the only viable path.. that helps... 

Actually playing the Alpha version of the game for years now and having a computer in the medium class range (with an SSD) and not having to sell my organs yet has proven to be quite viable.

But some need help ... in many different ways ... i agree

Have fun

PS:

"Medium" range ... see here ...

(without outlying data ...  the guy with the GPU score 675 ;-) is running this:  )

CPU

• Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz

GPU

• NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

• CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Erillion said:
    Actually playing the Alpha version of the game for years now

Something 'bout that there sentence ain't right.  Cannae put ma finger on it

Cotic said:
    Erillion said:

Not for a volunteer backer-playtester ;-)

Have fun

• CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Erillion said:
    Cotic said:
    Erillion said:

Not for a volunteer backer-playtester ;-)

Have fun

That there sentence ain't much better yo!
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    It's like someone building a car factory. They've raised huge amounts of money each year, and seem to think that raising money is the end goal.

No cars have been produced for sale yet, in over 7 years.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Greatest year, for whom?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests