Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legends of Aria New Dawn Hits Today, Patch Notes Released

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageLegends of Aria New Dawn Hits Today, Patch Notes Released

The next chapter for Legends of Aria has come, as the New Dawn update hits today, along with an extensive list of fixes and changes with Point Release 8.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Arterius said:
    This game went from full pvp mmo to pve mmo and the back to full pvp MMO really quick. They need to figure out what game they are making really quick
    That's a big part of what's keeping me away, even though I backed it way back.  They can't even decide if they want it to be PvP or PvE.  How are they supposed to come up with a functional PvP rule set that makes both types of players happy?  And I know that there are going to be private servers, but I'm hesitant to put time into a character on one of those when they could shut down at any time.  Anyway, if it ever does release, I'm sure I'll give it a try then.
    jason523
  • sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    edited December 2019

Arterius said:

This game went from full pvp mmo to pve mmo and the back to full pvp MMO really quick. They need to figure out what game they are making really quick

They know what kind of game they "want" to be. They just don't know how to make that type of game sustainable from a business standpoint.

I love these type of games and what they are trying to do, but even as someone who loves the genre I can admit it will never be more than a passion project genre. They are already doomed to fail. They marketed themselves towards an audience that self cannibalizes itself in every game tailored to them.

They had the right idea. The FFA Loot on Death style of game cannot exist in an mmorpg persistent world setting the way we imagine. It is only sustainable as an opt-in style of gameplay without content gated behind it. It's something the vast majority of players only want to dabble in, while the full timers cause the dabblers to quit until no sheep exist and the game dies as the wolves turn on each other(while blaming the devs for giving them exactly what they wanted).

We saw the same thing with UO. People like to remember "the good ol days before Trammel" while forgetting the population was on the decline and the game was going to become financially unsustainable unless changes were made. Then also conveniently forget that UO saw it's highest population peaks and highest retention numbers with the introduction of Trammel.

The PvPers were mad because the easy prey was gone, but at the end of the day they still had a game to play.

At some point you have to wonder how so many dev teams fail to see the reality of this game type existing as a sustainable business. I think if they doubled down on STEAM, introduced steam workshop, and put ALL of their effort into those community tools and shards they talked about they could have something financially sustainable while offering the niche they want as well. Imagine if people could download the systems and things they wanted from workshop and put together their own server? People would pay for the hosting to "build" the game they want for their friends, and the LoA team could keep funding their passion servers.
    MightyUnclean[Deleted User]xybedoutkinkyJalepenogastovski1jason523SovrathkitaradJaimlSlyLoK
     I've been here a while...
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

Arterius said:

They know what kind of game they "want" to be. They just don't know how to make that type of game sustainable from a business standpoint.

I love these type of games and what they are trying to do, but even as someone who loves the genre I can admit it will never be more than a passion project genre. They are already doomed to fail. They marketed themselves towards an audience that self cannibalizes itself in every game tailored to them.

They had the right idea. The FFA Loot on Death style of game cannot exist in an mmorpg persistent world setting the way we imagine. It is only sustainable as an opt-in style of gameplay without content gated behind it. It's something the vast majority of players only want to dabble in, while the full timers cause the dabblers to quit until no sheep exist and the game dies as the wolves turn on each other(while blaming the devs for giving them exactly what they wanted).

We saw the same thing with UO. People like to remember "the good ol days before Trammel" while forgetting the population was on the decline and the game was going to become financially unsustainable unless changes were made. Then also conveniently forget that UO saw it's highest population peaks and highest retention numbers with the introduction of Trammel.

The PvPers were mad because the easy prey was gone, but at the end of the day they still had a game to play.

At some point you have to wonder how so many dev teams fail to see the reality of this game type existing as a sustainable business. I think if they doubled down on STEAM, introduced steam workshop, and put ALL of their effort into those community tools and shards they talked about they could have something financially sustainable while offering the niche they want as well. Imagine if people could download the systems and things they wanted from workshop and put together their own server? People would pay for the hosting to "build" the game they want for their friends, and the LoA team could keep funding their passion servers.

These developers, once again, believed that they could come up with a magical rule set that would make carebears and gankers live happily together on one server.  I guess EVE managed it, but I can't think of many others who have.
    jason523
  • BluntedJBluntedJ Member UncommonPosts: 26
    edited December 2019
    @sacredcow4, you make a really good case for why these games don't do so well.

@MightyUnclean, one of things with EVE and why it works is the vastness of the universe. I don't get a lot of time to play games - and I am sure that's the majority of the gaming population - so I would never deign to think I could visit each system. But there is the rub, it's a galaxy. There's not really much to the "landscape". Any game attempting that scope of an area for a game would take decades to make - all of the landscaping, terrain, etc. This would be impossible to pull off in a game. And that's why EVE works, because it's so vast but isn't bogged down my the "landscape". Sure, there are other reasons it works well, but I think this is a major one.

Dovetailing off of that, I think EVE's system is kind of awesome exactly because of that vastness. And because of territorial conquest. They can make tons of safe spaces, middle-of-the-road spaces, and no-man's land areas with full PvP and no protection other than people you ally with. If LoA could enlarge the landmass and make it so that there is conquest in the full PvP areas, they'd likely have a larger following. From what I remember about EVE, it's was very likely the average player would never come across more than a portion of the entire population. With LoA, it's likely you'll see the same people ganking over and over.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    sacredcow4 said:
    At some point you have to wonder how so many dev teams fail to see the reality of this game type existing as a sustainable business.
    That is a matter of resources.

Small studios cannot produce large amounts of content and PVP provides high replaybility.

Both, PVE and PVP needs content but PVP tends to get away easier with smaller amount.
    sacredcow4
  • kaladek51kaladek51 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    This article needs to be updated to reflect that as of the time of this writing, the LOA servers have still not come up. The ETA is 11am EST, which is 25 hours after the servers were brought down. Par for the course for the incompetent dev team over at CS.
    jason523
    kaladek51 said:
    Par for the course for the incompetent dev team over at CS.
    ...incompetent?

They achieved way more than you can ever dream of and here you are, slinging mud at them...
    jason523ChildoftheShadows
    edited December 2019

Gdemami said:

kaladek51 said:

Par for the course for the incompetent dev team over at CS.

...incompetent?

They achieved way more than you can ever dream of and here you are, slinging mud at them...

ROFL-- you don't know anything about me and what I have achieved, so don't presume as such. What I do know, and what my obvious opinion is, is that CS is a poorly run operation that cant even get a patch rolled out properly. Anyways, this article is not accurate, as the patch still hasn't been released, almost a day after server have been down.
    Gdemamijason523
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    They also have a bunch of awesome community servers. If you're looking for a replica of UO, I highly recommend checking out Legends of Ultima community server.
    kaladek51BluntedJ

mcrippins said:

They also have a bunch of awesome community servers. If you're looking for a replica of UO, I highly recommend checking out Legends of Ultima community server.

LOU, on the other hand, is quite great.
    mcrippins
    kaladek51 said:
    ROFL-- you don't know anything about me and what I have achieved, so don't presume as such. 
    ....your posts are a clear indication of your..."achievements".
    ChildoftheShadowsWenchesnmead
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Gdemami said:
    kaladek51 said:
    ROFL-- you don't know anything about me and what I have achieved, so don't presume as such. 
    Typically in a world like game development those that have “been there” know the challenges and can appreciate the hard work and effort.
    Gdemami
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited December 2019
    This honestly just shows the reality of indie mmos. Sure its amazing to even make it to release vs being forever in development (SC/Crowfall), but then you have post-release. Indies are realistically lucky enough to update a game once, maybe twice a year with a decent amount of content. Even though these games are targeted towards a more 'veteran' audience, the post-decade mmo crowd isn't going to hang around that long in any of them.
  • WenchesnmeadWenchesnmead Member UncommonPosts: 35

Gdemami said:

kaladek51 said:

And what do your post counts tell people?

That its likely you just created another peanut butter statue of Arthas and finished the rampart details on your cardboard castle youcall home in your moms basement.
  • sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249

mcrippins said:

To be real, if you want UO go play on Outlands. It's the best UO experience to date. Better than any era that has existed.
     I've been here a while...
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    mcrippins said:
    I wouldn't bother.  The base game will be shut down within a year, so LOU will go with it.
    Gdemami
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Arterius said:
    That's a big part of what's keeping me away, even though I backed it way back.  They can't even decide if they want it to be PvP or PvE.  How are they supposed to come up with a functional PvP rule set that makes both types of players happy?  And I know that there are going to be private servers, but I'm hesitant to put time into a character on one of those when they could shut down at any time.  Anyway, if it ever does release, I'm sure I'll give it a try then.
    That's the thing, PvP rulesets don't make any money.  PvP is inherently better in other formats like MOBAs, Fighting Games, etc.  The games with PvP focus that have some success mirror that experience in the sense that death has no meaning. 

Imagine if you had a chance to drop gear in BDO in PvP, nobody would touch that game again.  Same thing if you lost gear or other valuables in WvW in GW2 or Cyrodil in ESO.  These full-loot games will never turn a profit.
    Gdemami
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Arterius said:
    It's not possible to make both sets of players happy, never has been never will be.  You have PvP players you have PvE players, you cant make a world where both groups are happy without creating two game spaces in the same game.  They simply cannot overlap.