Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Playable Game That Might Succeed Now if Released .....

2»

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited October 2019
    Spiider said:
    I call "fake news". An mmo with 2-3 weeks of playable content is not an mmo. What is this, another theme park a la star wars? Not what what promised.
    This post may be the first one I ever gave a "wtf" to.   You took the entire post out of context.  Like you didn't read it at all, and took a stab in the dark of its content, and got it all wrong. 

Worst yet "fake news" ?
    What does that even have to do with anything at all !
    Kyleran
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Abhorer said:
    We must wait to allow them to create world content at their pace; it would be better for the game and as the previous poster have said, allow an in depth character development system, which could be vital for the game, given its contenders in the market. 

I don't know if they need 50 weeks of content to release, even though it seems advisable. They are taking the graphics to an AAA level, which is another good mood, and this is one of the good things of many they are doing well. If this is the 2020 version of EQ2 I will be happy.
    Agree.

In fact I would rather have something similar to the original EQ2 (first 2 years) than EQ.
    I think when released EQ2 was a much better game than EQ, only problem was it released at the same time of WOW.

It’s a shame that around 2007 they turned it into a poor WOW clone.

Kyleran
  • Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Kyleran said:
    What a playable game which might succeed on its own means to me is Brad learned his lesson from Vanguard.

Should the funding unexpectedly come to a halt for some reason (which he's well familiar with) he's in a position to ship what they have built to date, say as an early access title and shipping additional content post launch.

Actually a good strategy for a developer to take.  I'm guessing most of the other indie MMORPGs in development would be in a really bad state, largely unplayable if suddenly forced to launch in the near future because the funding well ran dry.

My assessment of him just went up a few notches if this is really true and not just blah speak.

You do know that vanguard was also fun and playable in late alpha and early beta and IMO could have succeed in that state.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited October 2019
    Mylan12 said:
    Kyleran said:
    What a playable game which might succeed on its own means to me is Brad learned his lesson from Vanguard.

Should the funding unexpectedly come to a halt for some reason (which he's well familiar with) he's in a position to ship what they have built to date, say as an early access title and shipping additional content post launch.

Actually a good strategy for a developer to take.  I'm guessing most of the other indie MMORPGs in development would be in a really bad state, largely unplayable if suddenly forced to launch in the near future because the funding well ran dry.

My assessment of him just went up a few notches if this is really true and not just blah speak.

You do know that vanguard was also fun and playable in late alpha and early beta and IMO could have succeed in that state.
    Vanguard was more playable at release than 90% (totally made up statistic for emphasis) of the early access trash gamers throw money at these days.

Brad, the devs at Funcom must marvel at the grief they took for releasing incomplete games back in the day vs what players are willing to accept today.

Or rather they are thinking, "oh boy, is this great" (from a movie older than most of you here)

:D 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited October 2019
    Kyleran said:

Brad, the devs at Funcom must marvel at the grief they took for releasing incomplete games back in the day vs what players are willing to accept today.

Or rather they are thinking, "oh boy, is this great" (from a movie older than most of you here)

Remember Judge Douglas Ginsburg, who withdrew his nomination to the Supreme Court after admitting to marijuana use?

There's a guy who must watch the news and want to throw chairs.

The times, they are a changing.
    Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    so unless the game is out and can be tested,
    Some people have pre-alpha access. Its expensive, but available, if you want it.
    so unless the game is out and can be tested,
    Some people have pre-alpha access. Its expensive, but available, if you want it.
    Is that really true? 

Last time I checked their web site pre alpha testing was basically suspended while they worked on their current project Farfenwhatever but perhaps its now resumed? 

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    Here we all are, fresh from having a pop at CoE and SC...can someone just launch a decent MMORPG? Thank you. :)
  • goldwheatgoldwheat Member UncommonPosts: 68
    edited December 2019
    So far, they have not kept a record of pledger test server access start and stop times, publicly.  To do so would reduce pledges, as people would know precisely how limited this access has been.

Pre-alpha, overall, started in December 2017.  Since then, apparently there have been 3 limited (a few hours or a few hours over a few days) test times for pre-alpha pledgers.  Again, no public start and stop dates, so it could have been as little as 4 hours each time.  (as in, 12 hours total, in two years)

The last one of these very brief tests was in spring 2018.  Since that time, there has been no indication of public pledger access, at all, in any way, to the pre-alpha test servers.  To date, there is no indication that pre-alpha test server access will last for many days or weeks at a time, ever

Save your money, wait for launch.  If you're totally optimistic and want to ignore history?  Pledge for beta access.  I want the game to succeed, but their communication is horrible, and their development time has already been double that of EQ1.
    GdemamiKyleranAdamantine
  • TwoTubesTwoTubes Member UncommonPosts: 328
    edited December 2019
    rushing this game, would do the biggest disservice to the legacy of Brad McQuaid. Even remotely entertaining the notion of release before its done  is highly disrespectful and shameful. imo.
    If they don't rush the game will fail.   There is already some unrest in the community and I have to expect it to get worse as time goes by...Though I guess that is more about public relations than the time frame.  I don't see a significant change coming.

It's a catch 22.  It can't go both ways.
    edited December 2019
    TwoTubes said:
    rushing this game, would do the biggest disservice to the legacy of Brad McQuaid. Even remotely entertaining the notion of release before its done  is highly disrespectful and shameful. imo.
    If they don't rush the game will fail.   There is already some unrest in the community and I have to expect it to get worse as time goes by...Though I guess that is more about public relations than the time frame.  I don't see a significant change coming.

It isn't really a matter of rushing it out the door. Development can only continue if there is funding to do so.

Brad's own blogs and forum posts in Sep-Oct clearly indicated they are in need of more money to finish the game.

He also stated their most recent project put them in a place where they could launch a playable game almost immediately, though it would only contain 3 weeks or so of content.

If true, it is a good move, if more money can't be found from investors or backers then at least they can go the early access route.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    TwoTubes said:

It won't matter if the game takes another year or two. Do I want to play this game? Yes but not at the expense of them missing the mark. Fact is, if this is an awesome game, all the cry babies yelling on forums will play it no matter what threats they spin now. You only get one launch. 
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    The unrest is people that didn't have realistic expectations, and they would be stupid to listen to the unrest of the people acting like the twitter mob...Which only ever consists of a super minority of people, that corporations act like is a majority.  Ignore them, make the game right.
    TwoTubesBabuinix
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited December 2019
    Spiider said:
    I call "fake news". An mmo with 2-3 weeks of playable content is not an mmo. What is this, another theme park a la star wars? Not what what promised.
    He's underestimating. Being conservative for todays audience. Idk. I spent large amoutns of time whacking gnolls in blackburrow. Amount of time? A week or two probably back in the day EASY. Probably more. I was almost level 14 after 3 months. Unthinkable in modern MMORPGs. I had 13 days playtime (that's over 300 hours). It took a long time to level, and I didn't afk as much back then.

Nowadays expectations are FAR higher. Players now want hollywood movie expeirence. It was different then. We were happy with cardboard cutouts and 4 hours grinding the same camp a dozne times spread out over a couple weeks--whilst doing other camps inbetween. We did a lot of runing back and forth and chatting. Lots of downtime. And in my case, several days of pvp juggling. I loved it. I didn't expect the world. Now they do. Development costs are skyrocketing.

Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
    Kyleran