Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OPINION: Path of Exile Is Bloody Brilliant - MMORPG.com

Comments

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    For multiplayer ARPG path of the exile is the best hands down. I love the fact that they allow you to screw up. I mean you can complete the story an have made this awesome build to find out that you can't really do anything in the endgame because of your choices. It is possible to redo all your skills but will take time an effort to do it. Easier to start a new character than to do a full reskill. Never do I do a cookie cutter build following someone else. I go in pick what skill I plan to use an then plan out my path on the passives.

I detest an love the xp loss when reaching those final 20 levels. It stops people from just running in like wild men an just dying over an over because they don't care if they die. Granted there have been some days where I want to throw my keyboard out the window because I got one shotted by something that wasn't even on the screen. That is probably the biggest issue with the game an has been since it's launch. You can be killed by things that are not even on the screen sometimes because of the extremely zoomed in iso view. Think they have tweaked this in the next iteration of the game (POE2) from the screenshots, but will not know for sure till it launches.

The biggest issue a lot of newer players have is the game doesn't really tell you that you will need around 3k to 4k health an at least 75% min elemental resist to be able to run those end game maps unless you are a very skilled an have very fast reflexes/eye hand coordination. It is possible to do it with less of everything, but to many focus on the damage aspects an wanting to do more an more damage an don't stop to think I need to be able to survive those moments where I can't move or get cursed, ect... Defense is very important in the game.

Overall the game has so much information that you actually need to learn to be able to play the game effectively. Does this skill actually pair with that skill an do something. Just because it says it does this doesn't mean it works with every other type of attack. Does this flask effect the damage of my minions when I use it? What is the range of this attack type? What is the difference between armor, evasion, shield? Which type of defense would work better for my build, out of the three I just listed?

The build I played this league for instance I do no direct damage myself at all. I am running an extremely over powered summoner build. My minions melt everything on the screen as soon as I run by it. Bosses drop in about 2 or 3 seconds when I pop my vaal summon an have over 60+ minions smacking on them. Again it has an extreme learning curve but once it starts to make sense to you the game opens up to be one of the best ARPG's ever made.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Quizzical said:

Quizzical said:

If only playing the game weren't a repetitive strain injury waiting to happen.  That's probably fixable by measures as simple as adding WASD movement as an option.  Apparently they did basically that for the console version, as the console version would be basically unplayable otherwise.  But they just won't port it back to the PC version.  If they want to make it so that I can't play their game, then I won't.  But other than that, it might be good.

you can play with an xbox controller.
    Can you do that in the PC version?  Or does that require buying an Xbox, and presumably also an appropriate television for it, since it won't be able to handle my monitor setup?

I tried playing the PC version with a different controller not that long ago, and probably this year.  I couldn't find any way to make it not require a very heavy dose of using a thumbstick to move a mouse pointer and click on things.

I've always found Xbox-style controllers to be unusable.  If it can only be played on that one, egregiously awkward controller, then that's a big problem for me.  If there's some more general, controller options menu that I completely missed, I'd be very interested in knowing about it.  In most games, I give up on trying built-in controller support, as it never works right, anyway, and rely instead on mapping keyboard keys (or occasionally mouse buttons) to controller buttons.  The reason I want WASD movement is not because I want to actually use WASD, but because I want to map it to a controller D-pad.
    Try an official xbox controller, the game is ported to xbox one

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2017/08/24/path-of-exile-now-available-xbox-one/

use some baby yoda power as well !
    Well yes, I know that there is a console version.  My question is whether I can use a controller in the PC version.  I don't have an Xbox One, and $200 to buy a console plus whatever it would cost to get a suitable television for it makes for an awfully expensive game.
  • MuktukMuktuk Member UncommonPosts: 84

3dom said:

"Brilliant". Although the story itself is actually great but enforced story replays each season = bullpoop. Huge ability atlas combined with non-free respecs = a complete bullpoop. Experience loss on death = bullpoop. Abilities depending on wild RNG for equipment drops, slots amount and their color = crap. Etc. etc. etc. ...

I agree with your assessment. I'd give PoE a "good, but should be great" rating.

Another bullpoop design flaw is its crap trading. If you want to sell something then you must spend significant time researching the price, stop what you're doing immediately when a buyer pings you, meet up with the buyer, find the item in your stash, do a manual trade, and then hope that you didn't just get screwed because you missed something that makes the item much more valuable than you realized.

If you have a lot to sell then this can occur numerous times per hour. How is that better than just letting players focus on playing the game? The buyer will be gone in less than 1 second so don't give me that "social" argument for this style of trading.

The game developers have defended this style of trading by saying that gear should be difficult to acquire. I agree, but this isn't difficult, it's annoying.
  • agentsi1511agentsi1511 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    It gets too repetitive after a while. And personally, I HATE their loot system. Makes it impossible to really play at a high level without an overwhelming amount of time being put in. But its fun in short bursts.
  • supx2supx2 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    PoE is a pretty good game, sadly it tends to burn me out pretty quickly, so I just play every 2 seasons. Hyped to play this one!
  • crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 284

DMKano said:

Good game.

Still prefer Grim Dawn personally.

If Grim Dawn was full online like Path of Exile with active trading, and leagues/seasons then Grim Dawn would be great, I enjoy Grim Dawn but the fact that you can just download a program and get every item in game that you want isn't enjoyable for me, at least knowing you can do that.
    That is the dumbest argument.  I mean, like what ever game you want, but just because YOU can't stop from using a "cheat" to acquire gear doesn't take away from the quality of the game.  It's out there, avoid it and enjoy the game.

For reference: I put in over a 1000 hours on PoE and am now several hundred into Grim Dawn.  
  • EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

there is only one thing that remains the same in POE after all those leagues and content, and that is ,,4 inventory stash" witch means full inventory by the time you finish story.Good luck afterwards....

The game cost nothing my friend, a big fat zero, I was a couple of hundred hours in before I bought stash upgrades and I got them in a weekend sale.

I'm almost a couple of thousand hours in, still haven't got a clue what I'm doing :) I will say this though: Make sure to invest in resistances when you're getting in to later levels, you will need them all at 75% (except chaos, get that to 0%). Oh and beware the porcupines! use a speed skill, plow through them and get out the bloody way! Get flasks that also stop bleeding, poison and freeze, very useful.

Love it and GGG do a great job of providing new free content every 3-4 months. It can be very meta driven as each new league seems to focus on buffing one archetype while nerfing down the last one. PoE2 looks like it could be getting us out of the speed clear rut the game seems to have got itself in to, look forward to that.

This and Grim Dawn, shining examples of how to do an ARPG well IMHO.
    ultimateduck

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Muktuk said:

3dom said:

"Brilliant". Although the story itself is actually great but enforced story replays each season = bullpoop. Huge ability atlas combined with non-free respecs = a complete bullpoop. Experience loss on death = bullpoop. Abilities depending on wild RNG for equipment drops, slots amount and their color = crap. Etc. etc. etc. ...

I agree with your assessment. I'd give PoE a "good, but should be great" rating.

Another bullpoop design flaw is its crap trading. If you want to sell something then you must spend significant time researching the price, stop what you're doing immediately when a buyer pings you, meet up with the buyer, find the item in your stash, do a manual trade, and then hope that you didn't just get screwed because you missed something that makes the item much more valuable than you realized.

If you have a lot to sell then this can occur numerous times per hour. How is that better than just letting players focus on playing the game? The buyer will be gone in less than 1 second so don't give me that "social" argument for this style of trading.

The game developers have defended this style of trading by saying that gear should be difficult to acquire. I agree, but this isn't difficult, it's annoying.
    That's called trading in most games. Not everyone needs an automated 24/7 auction house to enjoy trading. At least in PoE you can just instantly teleport back to the trading area, many games you cannot.
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    I guess a lot of it is a matter of taste. Ortho view games in general turn me off. "You get the feeling that the world is this distraught place filled with nastiness." Doesn't appeal to me. I do like the sound of lots of character customization. I also think a lot of the fun you are having is due to playing it with good friends!
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    i never could get into POE but ill try no.2 although it looks like the same game,lol.
  • retiredmjretiredmj Member UncommonPosts: 160

there is only one thing that remains the same in POE after all those leagues and content, and that is ,,4 inventory stash" witch means full inventory by the time you finish story.Good luck afterwards....

And if you've played "all these leagues and content" and haven't been able to shell out $10 bucks you're a chincy prick
    BeansnBread
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Story, lore, background and voice acting are great in PoE!   

Sadly, I don't like the simon-sez big boss fights that infest this genre.  They just get boring.  I'd rather roll up another character.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• sexydadeesexydadee Member UncommonPosts: 15
    until they smooth out the janky animations unlike in diablo and fix their network issues, i would pass on this game
  • SalmonManSalmonMan Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Man, I must have tried to play this game like 20 times, and much like with the Witcher 3, I just keep waiting for the fun to happen.

And it never does. Just not my jam I guess.
  • cmacqcmacq Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Bloody Brilliant? I call it bloody boring. Played quite a bit of this one and it always feels like slogging...too much work not enough fun....
  • CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Rly great game but a bit too hardcore for me, enjoy D3 and Grim Dawn more for that reason.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I guess my problem is that I love PoE, Grim Dawn and Diablo 3. I think that they are all great. And I'm not even a politician.
    Iselinatonico
  • angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    At the shipwreck in Act1 is still REALLY early isn't it? Are you like level 20 or less? It has been a long time, but I thought that was pretty fast to get to. Maybe I am confusing it with another game though.

I never grinded out maps for long at end game, but I always thought it was fun to get in them and change the maps properties.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I still recall how I tried this game I think just when it came out of beta and for some reason I wasn't able to get into it. Then a few years later and constantly reading about the game I decided to try another class instead of the ranger I had started with. 

Then wham I was hooked . For some reason the game grabbed me when it didn't before and I was reading guides watching youtube like a loon and that was it. I'd try this build that build or this skill and get this cornerstone on the tree and so on and before I knew it few months of my life were gone and I had played may be 23 characters. Worse game  for a person with altitis. The game also has no limit to the number of characters you can roll.

It was such a clever game because people would come with so many different builds and each one looked so good. I still recall when I went to that place where you can hear the howls of people screaming and being tortured. It was so visceral and that was the other aspect of the game it had such nasty bosses whose motivations were so cruel and base.

Yes this game is really very good and you're missing out if you do not play it.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    At the shipwreck in Act1 is still REALLY early isn't it? Are you like level 20 or less? It has been a long time, but I thought that was pretty fast to get to. Maybe I am confusing it with another game though.

I never grinded out maps for long at end game, but I always thought it was fun to get in them and change the maps properties.
    You get to like the early 70s by the end of the 10 chapters. You are 3/4 through chapter 1.
  • WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    My only problem with PoE is you MUST follow someone else's guide to get anywhere. To think you (the average gamer) is going to dream up the new meta build is just absurd. I've play a fair share of hours in PoE and while it is a good game, it isn't my flavor of ARPG.
  • WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    My only problem with PoE is you MUST follow someone else's guide to get anywhere. To think you (the average gamer) is going to dream up the new meta build is just absurd. I've play a fair share of hours in PoE and while it is a good game, it isn't my flavor of ARPG.
    I did and it is owning . May get defeated every once and a while on major bosses, but the build created is my own. Really just need common sense and understanding what one wants to be, it is completely open and to think if a player needs a to cookiecutter in this game, is completely wrong. imho
    You clearly have not been to the atlas. Sure you can play any build you want, but you will hit a ceiling. Only the flavor of the month / meta builds will get to shaper and elder.
    Gdemami
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    That's true of all ARPGs and most games though. D3 and Grim Dawn are no different.

When they're brand new or right after they make major changes any experienced player can theorycraft competitive builds. But as they mature and/or remain unchanged for long periods, the consensus meta builds always outperform anything else.

[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    That's true of all ARPGs and most games though. D3 and Grim Dawn are no different.

When they're brand new or right after they make major changes any experienced player can theorycraft competitive builds. But as they mature and/or remain unchanged for long periods, the consensus meta builds always outperform anything else.

I started playing Grim Dawn again. Instead of creating a stupid go-nowhere character this time, I decided to read some theory and roll a few builds from experienced players and guide writers. I'm learning a lot more about mechanics this time than I have in any previous play. Cookie cutter builds are a good thing in my opinion.

Not a fan of PoE though. Wolcen shows promise, but you know how "it's promising" works. :lol:
    Yeah I have no problems following builds put together by the better players although I do admit that it's also fun to go off on your own occasionally especially when new things are added. And when I find a good build I often tweak a things or two to suit my style anyway.

[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Not flawless IMO but a decent game no less.

Those microtransactons though, woah.