Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OPINION: Path of Exile Is Bloody Brilliant - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageOPINION: Path of Exile Is Bloody Brilliant - MMORPG.com

I decided to hop into Path of Exile for the first time. Man, it's amazing.

Read the full story here

Comments

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    edited December 2019
    "Brilliant". Although the story itself is actually great but enforced story replays each season = bullpoop. Huge ability atlas combined with non-free respecs = a complete bullpoop. Experience loss on death = bullpoop. Abilities depending on wild RNG for equipment drops, slots amount and their color = crap. Etc. etc. etc.

For example, Inquisitor Martyr ARPG is much more enjoyable - despite defective progression and loot. And looks better.
    Aeanderk61977joezhudarakLeFantomeZDPhoenixhonken_moon

Thank you for your time!

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    It really is a great game.
  • Erinak1Erinak1 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Yup, totally agree... great game :D
  • obaid990obaid990 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    some may hate the game while others love it, to me its more of a sacred process of creating my new character and finding a way to one shot all of the map. Gotta love games which allows me to do whatever build I want and actually enjoy it!
    sgelkertin
  • XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176
    "avid PC gamer" who has never played PoE? Well, that explains quite alot, I must say.
  • hpistihpisti Member UncommonPosts: 78

3dom said:

"Brilliant". Although the story itself is actually great but enforced story replays each season = bullpoop. Huge ability atlas combined with non-free respecs = a complete bullpoop. Experience loss on death = bullpoop. Abilities depending on wild RNG for equipment drops, slots amount and their color = crap. Etc. etc. etc.

For example, Inquisitor Martyr ARPG is much more enjoyable - despite defective progression and loot. And looks better.

You get 20 free respec points. If you need more, take notes and start a new character. It's part of the game, especially considering how easy it is to get through most of the story content.
    Yes, you lose some experience at higher levels, later in the story. If you lose nothing at death, people would just die-respawn-die-respawn. Would you rather lose some hard earned gear? Seriously, I thought I was a care-bear because I don't support dropping loot on death.
    If you don't like the skills - colors combo, this is obviously not your game. So I can kinda understand you not liking it. But does that mean everyone else must think, feel like you? A lot of people do find the mechanics and the game brilliant. Just move on and enjoy Martyr.
    Rnjypsy
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Get over to the Totems on the passive tree ,slot Siege Ballista, make them stronger ,slot support gems to make Totems stronger with more survivability and up time
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    It's alright. Brilliant, not so much, to me.

I can see why others may find it so.
    elocke
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166

Xoph said:

"avid PC gamer" who has never played PoE? Well, that explains quite alot, I must say.

What does it explain?
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Its a good game, but I hate the clear speed meta.
    boris20
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    hpisti said:

3dom said:

You get 20 free respec points. If you need more, take notes and start a new character. It's part of the game, especially considering how easy it is to get through most of the story content.
    Yes, you lose some experience at higher levels, later in the story. If you lose nothing at death, people would just die-respawn-die-respawn. Would you rather lose some hard earned gear? Seriously, I thought I was a care-bear because I don't support dropping loot on death.
    If you don't like the skills - colors combo, this is obviously not your game. So I can kinda understand you not liking it. But does that mean everyone else must think, feel like you? A lot of people do find the mechanics and the game brilliant. Just move on and enjoy Martyr.
    from what I remember that was kinda something only did happen on league , so losing xp on dead at higher lvls make sense since its a competition on who stay at the top, but its a long time and I don't have wish to play this game again
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • ShankTheTankShankTheTank Associate Editor / News ManagerMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 217

Scorchien said:

Get over to the Totems on the passive tree ,slot Siege Ballista, make them stronger ,slot support gems to make Totems stronger with more survivability and up time

Awesome thanks! I have a siege ballista slotted right now as well. Will get to moving towards the totem passives!
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Glad you discovered it . It is an amazing game. Think I have sunk more than 1000 hours into it.
    boris20kitarad
    Chamber of Chains
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    If only playing the game weren't a repetitive strain injury waiting to happen.  That's probably fixable by measures as simple as adding WASD movement as an option.  Apparently they did basically that for the console version, as the console version would be basically unplayable otherwise.  But they just won't port it back to the PC version.  If they want to make it so that I can't play their game, then I won't.  But other than that, it might be good.
    k61977
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I love the game, but it really wears down on you playing multiple seasons in a row doing the same story content over and over on new characters each time.
  • boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404

I love PoE, but I agree the insane clear speeds and one shot mechanics have gotten out of hand over the years. I am hoping 4.0 slows the pace down a bit.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It's a good game but I agree with Kano that Grim Dawn is better. In the end though, the ARPG I keep going back to and am currently playing again is Diablo 3... I have no taste in games apparently :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Quizzical said:
      If they want to make it so that I can't play their game, then I won't.  
    I'm sure they were all hanging out one day in NZ and thought, "Hey this one guy Quizzical on MMORPG.com forums wants to play with WASD movement. Lets make sure he can't!"
    Khorraxitchmon
  • BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403

DMKano said:

Good game.

Still prefer Grim Dawn personally.

If Grim Dawn was full online like Path of Exile with active trading, and leagues/seasons then Grim Dawn would be great, I enjoy Grim Dawn but the fact that you can just download a program and get every item in game that you want isn't enjoyable for me, at least knowing you can do that.
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Brilliant indeed.

I WILL find a mirror eventually. Mark these words (as others have marked them these last few years).
  • BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403

boris20 said:

I love PoE, but I agree the insane clear speeds and one shot mechanics have gotten out of hand over the years. I am hoping 4.0 slows the pace down a bit.

3.9 will slow that down, the end game bosses have signficantly harder mechanics and more HP than any other boss to date, even more so the Awakener (Final Boss of 3.9).

The speed in which you can play the game really appeals to me personally, mapping would become tedious if you run around at snails pace.

3.9 doesn't seem to introduce much more power creep at least from what we've seen, so should be an interesting league.

Personally I will be playing SSFHC and competing for the prizes + microtransactions :D
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Even though i am playing starcraft 2, you all know, i love my path of exile. Hence, i keep it up as my avatsr image.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • lingceapucklingceapuck Member UncommonPosts: 62
    edited December 2019
    there is only one thing that remains the same in POE after all those leagues and content, and that is ,,4 inventory stash" witch means full inventory by the time you finish story.Good luck afterwards....

Quizzical said:

If only playing the game weren't a repetitive strain injury waiting to happen.  That's probably fixable by measures as simple as adding WASD movement as an option.  Apparently they did basically that for the console version, as the console version would be basically unplayable otherwise.  But they just won't port it back to the PC version.  If they want to make it so that I can't play their game, then I won't.  But other than that, it might be good.

you can play with an xbox controller.
    Can you do that in the PC version?  Or does that require buying an Xbox, and presumably also an appropriate television for it, since it won't be able to handle my monitor setup?

I tried playing the PC version with a different controller not that long ago, and probably this year.  I couldn't find any way to make it not require a very heavy dose of using a thumbstick to move a mouse pointer and click on things.

I've always found Xbox-style controllers to be unusable.  If it can only be played on that one, egregiously awkward controller, then that's a big problem for me.  If there's some more general, controller options menu that I completely missed, I'd be very interested in knowing about it.  In most games, I give up on trying built-in controller support, as it never works right, anyway, and rely instead on mapping keyboard keys (or occasionally mouse buttons) to controller buttons.  The reason I want WASD movement is not because I want to actually use WASD, but because I want to map it to a controller D-pad.
    Utinni said:
    Quizzical said:
      If they want to make it so that I can't play their game, then I won't.  
    I'm sure they were all hanging out one day in NZ and thought, "Hey this one guy Quizzical on MMORPG.com forums wants to play with WASD movement. Lets make sure he can't!"
    WASD movement as an option is apparently commonly requested.  And they've added the equivalent to the console version, but refused for years to offer it on the PC version.  That, to me, is baffling.  What downside is there to offering more control options so that more players can play your game?