Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Capes and more coming with latest Guild Wars 2 patch - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageCapes and more coming with latest Guild Wars 2 patch - MMORPG.com

Capes are coming to Guild Wars 2, making everyone who wears one exactly 100% more heroic.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    First they monetized chairs, then templates and now capes.
    necrolockfoxgirlJeroKane
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I love when they made a big deal about adding mounts to game after trying to justify not having them for like 6 years prior. Now they are getting capes.....its almost like they are trying to become a typical mmorpg.
    Palebane[Deleted User]
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited December 2019
    It only took 7 years.  :D

Albatroes said:
    I love when they made a big deal about adding mounts to game after trying to justify not having them for like 6 years prior. Now they are getting capes.....its almost like they are trying to become a typical mmorpg.
    Capes were a staple of their original game and people have been demanding them from the very beginning.
    BlueThunderBear[Deleted User]
  • DeathleecherDeathleecher Member UncommonPosts: 89
    Just release GW3. we are over GW2 , its boring and the progression is boring as well
    BlueThunderBearnecrolockmakevalibentrimJeroKane
  • AexerianAexerian Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Here's an unpopular opinion. The game is great, very much alive and the community is decent too. The latest patch brought a lot of things that people have been demanding for a while. It's a move in the right direction, maybe Anet is starting to listen. I don't want to seem gullible but maybe it's making a comeback ?
    PirrayaThupli
  • SequriemSequriem Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Albatroes said:
    Capes, templates and UI changes. Second coming of jesus
  • black9iceblack9ice Member UncommonPosts: 154
    edited December 2019
    Weren't they against capes/cloaks as well? I thought I remember that when it was first released, they were hell bent on no cloaks and mounts.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Aexerian said:
    Here's an unpopular opinion. The game is great, very much alive and the community is decent too. The latest patch brought a lot of things that people have been demanding for a while. It's a move in the right direction, maybe Anet is starting to listen. I don't want to seem gullible but maybe it's making a comeback ?

Welcome to the site.
  • andersalesandersales Member UncommonPosts: 8
    The capes animation is pretty basic. I hope they improve it on release.
  • foxgirlfoxgirl Member RarePosts: 485
    Next in the cash shop: Cape Skins! Turn your cape in to a sheath of lightning or wrap yourself in shadows!

Next grinding track: Cape tactics! Learn to smack enemies with your cape, drop from heights like Batman, twirl around like Zorro to disorient opponents.
    bentrim
  • EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

The capes animation is pretty basic. I hope they improve it on release.

I agree they seem pretty stiff. NWN2 capes might actually be better and thats an OLD game.
  • bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    edited December 2019
    GOD!!!!ENOUGH GW2...CAPES!!??? This game has NO end game...no substance...and NO DIRECTION!!!...And YES I have played it... MULTIPLE capped out toons, game is OVER!!! I will say this, the game looks great in 4K...that's the ONLY thing it has going for it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    I'm actually annoyed at another change in this patch. Weapon swap for Ele and Engineer. Part of what I LIKE about these classes is that you can thematically tie them around a single weapon. One legendary weapon can complete their look, and you have a fully functional kit with that one weapon.

Now they have weapon swap, which also makes them more needlessly complicated to play, and they clearly aren't designed for it. While this opens up more options for the Engineer, those options also don't really exist, because they have so little weapon variety. 
    Thupli
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Aeander said:
    I'm actually annoyed at another change in this patch. Weapon swap for Ele and Engineer. Part of what I LIKE about these classes is that you can thematically tie them around a single weapon. One legendary weapon can complete their look, and you have a fully functional kit with that one weapon.

Now they have weapon swap, which also makes them more needlessly complicated to play, and they clearly aren't designed for it. While this opens up more options for the Engineer, those options also don't really exist, because they have so little weapon variety. 
    It's only weapon swap outside of combat though, which makes no sense anyways. What's the point?
    [Deleted User]Thupli

Aeander said:

It's only weapon swap outside of combat though, which makes no sense anyways. What's the point?
    I actually didn't know that, having not played this patch yet.

That's really unnecessary and unintuitive. MAYBE it's a PvP adaptability change. 
    Aeander said:
    Aeander said:

I actually didn't know that, having not played this patch yet.

That's really unnecessary and unintuitive. MAYBE it's a PvP adaptability change. 
    I suppose. But it still wouldn't make much sense to me. Maybe in very specific circumstances for an Ele, between staff and sword/focus or something. One for group one for solo. That doesn't really translate well for the engi though. Both would benefit from weapon swapping during combat.

Plus the changes they made to scrapper are awful still. I can't get behind these changes. It just feels like they are disconnected from what gamers like and what we're getting, but they push forward anyway.   It's the same thing that happened with FO76. They know what people were asking for and wanting but they did what they wanted to do regardless, and it just alienates more players.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited December 2019
    Aeander said:

Are they removing weapon swap in combat for all classes? or just adding weapon swap out of combat to Ele and Engineer?

Weapon swap in combat is useful, out of combat is unnecessary. Ele and Engineer didn't have weapon swap because they can swap elements and gadgets on the go as opposed to other classes which only have buffs or a single skill on the F1-F4 keys, so it was a fair balance.

I'm OK with Ele and Engi weapon swapping if it's in combat, but if it's only OoC then that's bs IMO.

EDIT: +1 for capes, finally.
    EDIT2: just glanced at the full patch notes, swap in combat for other classes remains intact, good.
    maskedweasel

Aeander said:

Are they removing weapon swap in combat for all classes? or just adding weapon swap out of combat to Ele and Engineer?

Weapon swap in combat is useful, out of combat is unnecessary. Ele and Engineer didn't have weapon swap because they can swap elements and gadgets on the go as opposed to other classes which only have buffs or a single skill on the F1-F4 keys, so it was a fair balance.

I'm OK with Ele and Engi weapon swapping if it's in combat, but if it's only OoC then that's bs IMO.

EDIT2: just glanced at the full patch notes, swap in combat for other classes remains intact, good.
    Yup, everyone will be able to swap weapons now, but no in combat swap for ele and engi, which makes it pretty much useless.
    rojoArcueid

edited December 2019
    Torval said:
    Aeander said:
    It only took 7 years.  :D

Albatroes said:
    Capes were a staple of their original game and people have been demanding them from the very beginning.
    ANet pisses me off for those 2 things alone. GW1 players asked for a few continuity items (capes and guild halls) and a few extras (mounts and playable tengu). We got the big finger. Now it's funny to see them add common MMO features in desperation. They're in the "Wildstar" seat now so trying anything and everything to keep the heat off.
    I would like a Quiznos sandwich mace with which to bludgeon my enemies.

A club sandwich.
    Post edited by Aeander on
    [Deleted User]
  • ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

Aeander said:

Yup, everyone will be able to swap weapons now, but no in combat swap for ele and engi, which makes it pretty much useless.

They did it because eles would be macroing weapon swaps OOC for travel purposes.

It's a nice qol improvement for ele and engi, but nothing earth shattering for gameplay.

Personally, I think they will give both classes In Combat weapon swap in about 6 months. They are probably testing it already.
    maskedweasel
    edited December 2019
    Also, they are currently undergoing a completely predictable and avoidable shit storm. They removed the fall damage portion of fall damage traits (a good idea, because these traits are bad game design) without making a change as obvious as halving fall damage for everyone across the board. 

The result is that a lot of jumping puzzles and some WvW have become needlessly more difficult/annoying. Basically, anywhere where gliders/gryphon aren't usable (and the entire world for any f2p player who doesn't have these).
    maskedweasel

Aeander said:

Also, they are currently undergoing a completely predictable and avoidable shit storm. They removed the fall damage portion of fall damage traits (a good idea, because these traits are bad game design) without making a change as obvious as halving fall damage for everyone across the board. 

The result is that a lot of jumping puzzles and some WvW have become needlessly more difficult/annoying. Basically, anywhere where gliders/gryphon aren't usable (and the entire world for any f2p player who doesn't have these).

Some people are upset, but mostly a small minority. Most of those traits are poor picks for pve, pvp, or wvw builds.

It is not a major loss.

More importantly they said that this is the first step of opening up space for newer Adept traits.

Lots of people knee jerk without actually listening to what Anet is saying.
    Thupli said:

Aeander said:

Some people are upset, but mostly a small minority. Most of those traits are poor picks for pve, pvp, or wvw builds.

It is not a major loss.

More importantly they said that this is the first step of opening up space for newer Adept traits.

Lots of people knee jerk without actually listening to what Anet is saying.
    I think you knee jerked without listening to what I was saying.

The removal of the traits was a good thing, but it should be a universal bonus, because the game's regular fall damage is obnoxious and does upset jumping puzzle balance.
    I wasn't talking about you, I'm talking about the few posts I have seen on official and reddit forums.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do something like you are suggesting, by I think they will see how it actually feels to their full playerbase before making that decision.