Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Delays and Funding to be Investigated by BBC Program, Click

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageStar Citizen Delays and Funding to be Investigated by BBC Program, Click

A BBC tech program, Click, will be looking into just why Star Citizen is taking forever to release.

Read the full story here

NorseGodTom_Neverwinter

Comments

• BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228
    Welp. They're fucked.
    PalebaneErillionAethaerynVexiusxZenJellyDrunkWolfinfomatzXarkoTom_Neverwinterwingoodand 2 others.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Welp. They're fucked.
    Dream on.

Have fun
    ZenJellykillerqueerRolanStormBabuinixMaxBaconalkarionlogjarsku85HatefullTom_NeverwinterLeFantome
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited December 2019
    Welp. They're fucked.
    Even if was the worst mismanagement and ended up being trash on release. . it's not a crime and they already have the money.    I'm going to guess you were being sarcastic?  I mean there has already been so much coverage for anyone that cares. . people who aren't invested finding out what everyone who has put in money already knows. . that won't change much.
    ErillionalkarionlogDaranar

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Does the BBC have a program that investigates cults?
    NorseGodvegetableoilaRtFuLThinGRolanStormScotalkarionlog[Deleted User]TacticalZombehHatefullTom_Neverwinter
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited December 2019

Erillion said:

Welp. They're fucked.

Dream on.

Have fun

Most likely he will
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited December 2019
    Welp. They're fucked.
    This is a tech show for normies and boomers. It's going to be pretty watered down.

Nevertheless, I'm sure the scripted response has already been distributed to online marketing firms in the UK and Germany.

InB4

"Something something hatchet job...Derek Smart...Goons...conspiracy." lol
    Tom_Neverwinter
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508
    If last month's statements about hauling-in millions are true this might expose more sunshine on some bad practices, but at this point I doubt the negative publicity will hurt them enough.  I still think all of the "words" describing what Star Citizen is supposed to end-up as is amazing & hopeful, but the "actions" delayed again & again & unfulfilled so far are not matching the promises so I'm glad I didn't donate to this game.  I might buy it (if/when) it ever officially releases if my computer can handle it.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Depends on the thoroughness of the investigation, really.  

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ElandrialElandrial Member UncommonPosts: 179

Aethaeryn said:

Welp. They're fucked.

Even if was the worst mismanagement and ended up being trash on release. . it's not a crime and they already have the money.    I'm going to guess you were being sarcastic?  I mean there has already been so much coverage for anyone that cares. . people who aren't invested finding out what everyone who has put in money already knows. . that won't change much.

called fraud, there is an expectation of what the game is supposed to be ,if no attempt to meet,it is fraud. if they have not made any progress in development it is as well fraud.you cannot say i will create a gold unicorn than put a horn on a horse and paint it gold.
    Daranar
  • PieMonsterPieMonster Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Hoiw can you say there is no attempt? Theres a huge demonstrable attempt. Go login for free and see it. The question is if the attempt is sufficient to meet peoples expectations before the cash runs out.
    [Deleted User]ErillionjimmywolfDaranarsschrupp
  • justintbhsjustintbhs Member UncommonPosts: 80
    The bunny..white knight..and animated character are all gearing up to defend their game.
    [Deleted User]ErillionShinobeWalkinGlennXarko
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    They should hold him accountable and have his assets seized liquidated and refunded to all the backers and have prison time given out. The is usually not accepted anywhere else(unless there is money cover up going to politicians) so why should it be difference because this is a video game medium?
    [Deleted User]FeralLokiBabuinixGdemamiWarlyxDaranar

MurderHerd

• DemuerteDemuerte Member UncommonPosts: 37
    SC is keeping the carrot on the stick for as long as possible. I wonder how long it will be until we hear about the technology not ready for the vision, or something similar prior to the doors closing.
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768

Utinni said:

you beat me to the punch. church of star citizen.
    Hatefull
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Utinni said:
    Need John Sweeney from Panorama BBC One back to do this :wink:
    rpmcmurphy
  • xybedoutxybedout Member UncommonPosts: 58
    > A BBC tech program, Click, will be looking into just why Star Citizen is taking forever to release.

Err, cause it takes a while to develop a game. Longer or less depending on the scope of it.
    rpmcmurphyNorseGodHatefull
  • LastlaughlolLastlaughlol Member UncommonPosts: 145

Erillion said:

Welp. They're fucked.

Dream on.

Have fun

Don't worry. The world isn't running out of low IQ suckers.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Rhoklaw said:
    All Christ Roberts needs to say in his defense is that he identifies himself as a billionaire.
    Yeah, just claim he has affluenza.

He'll probably say "I absolved himself of past promises so why is there an issue?"
    Chris "I absolve myself" Roberts
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    They should hold him accountable and have his assets seized liquidated and refunded to all the backers and have prison time given out. The is usually not accepted anywhere else(unless there is money cover up going to politicians) so why should it be difference because this is a video game medium?
    It isn't any different.

The creation and introduction of a MMORPG, especially one ostensibly on the cutting edge, is a high risk investment.

Potential failure is a cost of doing business, and in fact is generally accepted everywhere, provided a sincere effort to succeed was made. It was, however, something the public was largely insulated from as we used to bear none of the risk as we entered at the final product stage.

Enter crowd-funding.

Now, if we so desire, we can invest in incomplete projects, bearing a portion of that financial risk while at the same time having no claim on the potential rewards of success or remedy in the event of failure. Aren't we lucky.

It is unlikely the penalties you seek will be forthcoming.

Those that chose to contribute did so at their own risk.
    ErillionDaranarsschrupptargetdrone
  • HerithiusHerithius Member UncommonPosts: 219
    Its one thing to be a fan of the game but another to not be worried at the current state of it. If someone has 250+ million of largely donation money you want to know its in good hands. Can any fan really say they are completely confident?

In what industry can you say something is nearly done (stating Squadron 42) only a year away from being ready in 2015 and now being told its 2021 at the earliest? Whose making these projections and working on these time tables? These same people are supposedly in charge of properly managing a 250m budget?

I get that these guys got far more cash than they asked and in turn upped the scope of their game immeasurably but this insane development is getting out of hand. 2021 for Sq42 so 2022/2023 at the earliest for Star Citizen?

The rational / reasonable approach is release your base game, make sure it works and then you can release FREE expansions that are massive in scope to accomodate all the funding they've received. Trying to pack everything in at launch is a recipe for disaster. Especially in this market where first impressions are everything.

We all love the ambition that is Star Citizen but they need to take an objective step back on what they can realistically deliver as polished for launch. Scale back the scope, release the game and add the rest in 6 month updates.

Gdemami[Deleted User]infomatzrpmcmurphy
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Herithius said:
    Its one thing to be a fan of the game but another to not be worried at the current state of it. If someone has 250+ million of largely donation money you want to know its in good hands. Can any fan really say they are completely confident?

Ah yes, the good old "too deep to pull out might as well double down!" syndrome :P
    [Deleted User]
  • OzzybastardOzzybastard Member UncommonPosts: 15
    edited December 2019
    Love the game and play it regularly...You don't have to buy ships to enjoy it....It amazes me to see this site and the same haters so eager to post their uninformed and repeated bs at every opportunity... Always comes across as being butt hurt that they might actually pull it off - something a AAA game studio / publisher cannot.

Nothing more than Tall Poppy Syndrome.

The same bs about development time keeps coming up. Here are a few crappy games nowhere near the size and scope of this one (subjective):
    Elder Scrolls Online (7 years)
    Fortnite: (6 years)
    Galleon: (7 years)
    L.A. Noire: (7 years)
    Spore: (8 years)
    Too Human : (9 years)
    Team Fortress 2: (9 years)
    Prey: (11 years)
    Diablo III: (11 years)

And the cost - GTA 5 cost 265 million to get it to the market and plenty of ongoing costs since.

Enjoy your tab targeting mmo or action rpg and will not bag you for it...I'll keep enjoying this genre and others like it. Each to their own.

I and many others are playing it now and having fun.
    rpmcmurphyShinobeJoeBloberErillionBabuinixForgrimmRoinDarkpigeonRhimeboris20and 7 others.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    So how many years until it's a finished game and how much do you anticipate it costing to make?
    GdemamiNorseGod
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    So how many years until it's a finished game and how much do you anticipate it costing to make?
    ...you say there is plenty of data and neither you need any qualification so go ahead and show us your detailed analysis.
  • VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246
    No one with a brain takes the BBC seriously any more. They used to be one of the most respected news outlets in the world for probing, honest and objective journalism. Then a bunch of loons took over and now it just puts out incredibly biased 'moral outrage' agenda-driven garbage.