Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So the old geezers says the MMO genre is dead, I don't see it.

Comments

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited December 2019
    Tamanous said:
    We live in a time full of old school mmorpg emulators, rebirths, re-imaginations and relaunches. Old school players are packed into those games.

Is the OP an idiot?
    They have mainstream attention and are packed with the same kinds of people as any other online game. They may have some old mechanics, but the common mindset is still quite modern.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited December 2019
    Rhoklaw said:
    Gdemami said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Clarity trumps ease 100% of the time in communicating ;)
    ...and that is why MMO is used instead of way more ambiguous MMORPG.

Clarity trumps ease.
    So when you ask someone for some fruit and they bring you a banana and you complain it isn't an apple? Yeah, that's what I thought.
    I was going to say...check out this cute "cat" video called Destiny

Hey, they have four legs, a tail, and sharp pointy ears, covered in fur, whiskers...clearly qualifies as a cat, yes?

Too extreme, wrong species you say, how about this, my friend said she owns a "Corgi" and shared this video of "MMORPG."

Labels matter when there are very clear differences, regardless of there being some or even many similarities....and forget "dying on this hill"....I own the damn hill.

:D 
    [Deleted User]PhaserlightAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Rhoklaw said:
    So when you ask someone for some fruit and they bring you a banana and you complain it isn't an apple? 
    ...you got it fairly messed up - you are the one complaining here, not me.
    Rhoklaw said:
    I'm just correcting you for your illogical approach to a black and white argument.
    ...don't try to fix that ain't broken.

• ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    edited December 2019
    Jesus, talk about petty bickering. Sometimes things can be over clarified to the point of redundancy... ATM machine, PIN number, etc.

MMO(RPG)s are MMOs. The RPG part is little more than a voluntary play style. Trying to separate them to win some silly argument on who is more learned on video game lingo is ridiculous.

...and before some idiot chimes in with "all MMORPGs are MMOs but not all MMOs are MMORPGs"... yes, they are.
    [Deleted User]KyleranAmarantharAlBQuirky
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Jesus, talk about petty bickering. Sometimes things can be over clarified to the point of redundancy... ATM machine, PIN number, etc.

MMO(RPG)s are MMOs. The RPG part is little more than a voluntary play style. Trying to separate them to win some silly argument on who is more learned on video game lingo is ridiculous.

...and before some idiot chimes in with "all MMORPGs are MMOs but not all MMOs are MMORPGs"... yes, they are.
    It's funny that people actually care about this. Opening your own eyes and determining if you like a game must be difficult for some folks.
    ultimateduckSovrath
  • Riqqy82Riqqy82 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    facebook is the best mmo ever

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Maurgrim said:
    Yes old school MMOs are dead for good reasons, who want to camp a boss camp for hours, or farm some mob for weeks for just one drop you need, yes it was cool in the old days when MMO was new and you didn't know any better.

There is so many games out there you can try and play yes enjoy, It's hardly dead, so the thing is It's the old geezers mentality that is dead not the genre.

Yeah, I think you have missed the point in what they are probably saying. But, I will put that down to the exuberance and lack of context of immaturity.

I suspect that you have made the mistake of taking the term 'dead' literally when what they probably mean is that the genre has changed so much (generally) and seen such a sharp decline in numbers here in the west that it is, right now, a very different landscape than, say, 10 years ago.

I have an internet tip for you: People use hyperbole and exaggeration all the time. This is an attention economy. Try not to take people literally all the time.

AlBQuirky
    edited December 2019
    Utinni said:

It's funny that people actually care about this. Opening your own eyes and determining if you like a game must be difficult for some folks.
    Well yeah, it's a bitch to find a game worthy of my time, I've only played 3 titles in 2019, with 5 being my all time annual number back in 2016 and many years I played only 2 or even 1.

Lest you think this is because I'm just a filthy casual, know my wife calls me a gaming addict.

Probably because in 40 years of video gaming I have never gone more than 10 calendar days anually without logging into a game.

While normal playtime is 2 to 3 hours a day on weekdays, at least 4 to 6 on weekends. 

I buy expensive gaming laptops in part so I can play while on vacation which I almost always do. 

Told my wife we don't go on vacations  anymore where internet access isn't rock solid. Just last week while in Bowling Green, KY I was working with my hotel's web support firm to figure out why FO76 was disconnecting far more often than normal.   :#

So yeah, I guess she is correct, I am an addict but never (well almost never) have I shirked my work or family duties, but you would be surprised how little sleep humans can function on. :)

So yeah, choice of what to play is absolutely critical and there's no tolerance for error.  (Yes,  I know, FO76, but hey, I really like it, so do the 50 or so other players still active.)

;)

ultimateduck

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Rhoklaw said:
    Utinni said:

Your level of detail in your thought process leads me to believe our education system is still failing us. Simplicity only works if both parties understand what is being implied. Then I just realized your entire statement is nothing more than a straw man argument.
    If you're bored at a party (adult parties suck) overhear someone talking about playing video games and you lean over and say "what type of games do you like playing" and they reply "MMOs mostly", are you really going to douchebag out and  ask "MMOs or MMORPGs?"... as if there's a difference.

No, I'm guessing you would thoroughly understand what kind of games he played, even with his poor education level of detail, and  simply ask "cool, which one?"
    klash2def
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    edited December 2019
    Scot said:
    Tiller said:
    Gen X here, and you boomers and millennials just go on ahead and keep fighting among yourselves while Gen X just chills.

Generation X indeed, you were born with three feet. What is your mutant super power, bunny hoping?  :)
    I think the boomer lost a shoe along the way, I'm sure there are more to drop.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    MMORPG's are no where near being dead,finding good developers seems to be a dead end trail.

There is a bus load of room for GOOD developers to improve and be creative within the MMORPG genre,just nobody wants to put in a real effort.WAY too easy to make a Wow type game or worse yet,some ARPG.

Good news,we are not all clones,out there somewhere is a good producer,some intelligent people within a game studio just waiting to make a really good mmopg.The biggest obstacle of course is those people need the finances to pull it off.

Well hardly anyone is willing to risk their own income and loans,so for now we are stuck with lame,pretend,wannabe type developers.It'll happen,one day we will get the game we want,a good solid lineup of games so that we get a choice of what we want to play.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Kyleran said:
    Utinni said:

Well yeah, it's a bitch to find a game worthy of my time, I've only played 3 titles in 2019, with 5 being my all time annual number back in 2016 and many years I played only 2 or even 1.

Lest you think this is because I'm just a filthy casual, know my wife calls me a gaming addict.

Probably because in 40 years of video gaming I have never gone more than 10 calendar days anually without logging into a game.

While normal playtime is 2 to 3 hours a day on weekdays, at least 4 to 6 on weekends. 

I buy expensive gaming laptops in part so I can play while on vacation which I almost always do. 

Told my wife we don't go on vacations  anymore where internet access isn't rock solid. Just last week while in Bowling Green, KY I was working with my hotel's web support firm to figure out why FO76 was disconnecting far more often than normal.   :#

So yeah, I guess she is correct, I am an addict but never (well almost never) have I shirked my work or family duties, but you would be surprised how little sleep humans can function on. :)

So yeah, choice of what to play is absolutely critical and there's no tolerance for error.  (Yes,  I know, FO76, but hey, I really like it, so do the 50 or so other players still active.)

;)

You're the problem though. Whether something is labeled "MMO" or "MMORPG" correctly isn't a valid reason for lack of games.
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    Utinni said:
    Kyleran said:
    Utinni said:

;)

You're the problem though. Whether something is labeled "MMO" or "MMORPG" correctly isn't a valid reason for lack of games.
    Correct. It's only a valid reason for the lack of role playing games. 
    But that brings up the communication problem where gamers who don't understand the difference also don't see that "role playing" isn't about Class based "roles", it's about player interaction and role playing a fictional being. 

KyleranAlBQuirkyNorseGodPalebane

Once upon a time....

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Rhoklaw said:
    Utinni said:

Your level of detail in your thought process leads me to believe our education system is still failing us. Simplicity only works if both parties understand what is being implied. Then I just realized your entire statement is nothing more than a straw man argument.
    If you're bored at a party (adult parties suck) overhear someone talking about playing video games and you lean over and say "what type of games do you like playing" and they reply "MMOs mostly", are you really going to douchebag out and  ask "MMOs or MMORPGs?"... as if there's a difference.

No, I'm guessing you would thoroughly understand what kind of games he played, even with his poor education level of detail, and  simply ask "cool, which one?"
    Actually I would probably ask what type of MMO's because the term has become meaningless.
    AmarantharGdemamiKyleranAlBQuirkyNorseGodPalebane
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
    Rhoklaw said:
    Utinni said:

Actually I would probably ask what type of MMO's because the term has become meaningless.
    And MMO's as a whole suffer for lack of variety.
    I wonder how many gamers, who don't see the importance of this difference, also don't understand why these games are getting boring? 
    KyleranPalebane

Once upon a time....

Any MMO can be role played. Nothing in an MMO forces role playing.

Therefore all MMOs are MMORPGs and all MMORPGs are MMOs. It just depends on your playstyle, not your stupid perception of the term.

If you said "what type of MMO", I would reply "the MMO type, what kind of question is that?"... because it's a ridiculous question.

Therefore all MMOs are MMORPGs and all MMORPGs are MMOs. It just depends on your playstyle, not your stupid perception of the term.

If you said "what type of MMO", I would reply "the MMO type, what kind of question is that?"... because it's a ridiculous question.
    Yeah, and pigs can fly just as well as eagles. 

Once upon a time....

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    edited December 2019

Even if that's stiictly what rpg means which it isn't. I would still ask the question. I would wonder if it's fps, pvp , space, fantasy, played on PC or console what are the people like, factions...

You know get information discuss things.  It's part of  a having conversation.
    AlBQuirky
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
    edited December 2019

Even if that's stiictly what rpg means which it isn't. I would still ask the question. I would wonder if it's fps, pvp , space, fantasy, played on PC or console what are the people like, factions...

You know get information discuss things.  It's part of  a having conversation.
    Because most adult parties involve heavy drinking (well, they did my younger days) a disrespectful reply like his would probably result in an escalation of words and an eventual fistfight. 

Don chu be dissin on my MMORPGs fool.

:D 

AlBQuirkyultimateduck

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    HazenXIII said:
    I blame item shops and F2P.
    I'd like to blame this, but if players didn't make them profitable, they would go away ;)
    NorseGodKyleran

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    AlBQuirky said:
    HazenXIII said:
    I'd like to blame this, but if players didn't make them profitable, they would go away ;)
    It is not like the players have a choice.  It is really the whales doing it...

https://kotaku.com/man-spends-1-4-million-on-game-character-which-his-fr-1840027912

1 whale can spend more money than thousands of free loaders and small spenders.  So developer end up catering to them.
    Gdemami
    AAAMEOW said:
    ..."whales" are players too.
    Kyleran
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited December 2019
    AAAMEOW said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    HazenXIII said:

https://kotaku.com/man-spends-1-4-million-on-game-character-which-his-fr-1840027912

1 whale can spend more money than thousands of free loaders and small spenders.  So developer end up catering to them.
    The players can, but they never will. Leave the game. Uninstall it. Do not support it any way, shape, or form.

Leave our excuse and rationales at the door.

That will never happen as we gamers have very little self discipline ;)
    GdemamiKyleran

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

edited December 2019
    AlBQuirky said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    HazenXIII said:

The players can, but they never will. Leave the game. Uninstall it. Do not support it any way, shape, or form.

Leave our excuse and rationales at the door.

That will never happen as we gamers have very little self discipline ;)
    Not really true, gamers have walked away from numerous titles (particularly Asian made MMOs) in droves, forcing the closing of many which has resulted in multiple relaunches of some which then close again. (See Bless)

Gamers do seem prone to be "always chasing rainbows" hoping to find a pot of gold at the end, but frequently coming up short and the cycle continues.

As the famous "poet" Alice once sang over 40 years ago,

At the end of the rainbow, there's happiness
    And to find it how often I've tried
    But my life is a race just a wild goose chase
    And all my dreams have been denied
    Why have I always been a failure
    What can the reason be
    I wonder if the world's to blame
    I wonder if it could be me
    I'm always chasing rainbows, watching clouds drifting by
    My schemes are just like all my dreams
    Ending in the sky
    Some fellows look and find the sunshine
    I always look and find the rain
    And some fellows make a winning sometime
    And I never even make a gain
    I'm always chasing rainbows waiting to find the little bluebird in vain.

AlBQuirky