Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Funding Crosses $250 Million - MMORPG.com

Comments

• Corwyn4uCorwyn4u Member UncommonPosts: 6
    edited December 2019

Like it or not, it’s an achievement. People are getting enjoyment from it and hope for the future. Two things which are priceless for dudes our age.

And then reality struck those people hard.
    It will.
    Not because it has to be necessarily bad, but it will never be as good as hoped. Not even mentioning bugs, lags, server queues, downtimes, graphic errors, griefing, hacks, cheating, exploiting, duping, botting, gold selling etc etc
    [Deleted User]
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    bad choices made by roberts in this game you can just tell he is just indulging in the kickstarter money!
    seriously this game coulda been out a long time ago but he keeps tacking on things that coulda been developed post launch like elite dangerous and eve do i really hope this game tanks hard because of what it has done to players! i mean last gameplay i saw rubber banding of everything (ships players objects) and the gun play is kinda poop!
    Pretty much what tends to happen when you give a group of people without jobs a proverbial blank check along with no time frame or accountability.
    NorseGodGdemami[Deleted User]
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Arterius said:
    I just don't see what people see in this game to just keep handing over money. This game has been delayed so many times yet this seems like the only upcoming MMO that gets a free pass when delays or some other issue arises. It's insane to me.
    Do you not read the CU threads. Or SotA threads. Or ... Thing is they don't have as much to shout at - or shout about. Closed NDAs etc. tend to do that.

Is it wise? 

I genuinely believe that if it wasn't for all the negativity then the game wouldn't have attracted the funding it has. People see the "horror posts", people check to see what its all about and some of them decide - all for themselves - that there is a game in the making that appeals to them.

Now, imo, SC is and always will be "content light". Its snot a WoW or ESO PvE. In concept is is an Eve type game. Or FIFA. Or Flight Simulator. Or BF, CoD, Or ESO PvP. The Sims. And those games appeal to certain types of players and not others. They are not "quest" "content" focused games - doesn't mean they have none but ESO PvP quests ... big deal - not.

Do people keep handing over money to them though? Has the same 1 person provided $250M? Maybe but .....

The number of new "star citizens" has grown by 250k -ish. So its not unreasonable to think that the new funding could come entirely from new people. But sign-ups don't have to spend anything so ..... but that also applies to old signups as well. My guess: new signups more likely to be "pre-ordering"; old signups more likely not to have taken the plunge when it was more of a vision now "pre-ordering".  Plus some folks who have bought extra. We don't "know" but I not likely its the same "1" person.
    Gdemami
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    At $35 to $50 dollars, Star Citizen is not a bad gamble, if you can spare the money and have a lot of patience.   It will release, it just won't be all that people expect.   Because they are being sold their own dreams, and those dreams are always better than the reality that will be delivered.   

Even if Roberts totally drives it into the ground, it will be picked up by someone else.  If only for the list of people who were willing to spend thousands on this game.  That's Gold!
    bartoni33

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited December 2019
    gervaise1 said:
    Arterius said:

I genuinely believe that if it wasn't for all the negativity then the game wouldn't have attracted the funding it has. 
    Oh, what other game has this happened before?
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited December 2019
    gervaise1 said:
    Now, imo, SC is and always will be "content light". Its snot a WoW or ESO PvE. In concept is is an Eve type game.
    ...implying EVE being anything resembling "content light" is gross ignorance.
    [Deleted User]
  • JoeBloberJoeBlober Member RarePosts: 586

Thane said:

well, if they actually manage to sync all those different clients into one game some day, i will try to find out how much of the game i can actually play, without buying spaceships or whatnot for real money (and just buying "the game")

but i guess whatever happens, this game can't be much of a failure anymore, on a finance base

You can already buy/rent ships with in-game credits... right now in 2019.
    Erillion

Lukzfresh said:

It’s clear some of the money was stolen along the way... regardless of when the game is released.

Actually forbes has documentation of it, if I'm not mistaken they develop the game in cryengine in 2012 and then scrap everything 2016 and move it to lumberyard because cryengine is bad for multiplayer games "Looks pretty but shit for multiplayer" 4 years development money down to the toilet The closest thing for Star citizen having "diarrhea", later they get sued by crytek because when migrating they use some of the assets from cryengine, more money down the toilet. I don't think this is the end.

Forbes article is a joke. A collection of memes and speculation.

For instance, CIG did scrap nothing. They switch in few days from CryEngine to Lumberyard fork... whic is Cry Engine but own by Amazon.
    Cryteck have been thrown to the toilets twice in a row by the US judge in charge of the claim... What remaining is at best few ten thousands $ of possible copyright infragment they will have to prove one by one. Cryteck already lost their attempt which was to get a % of CIG revenues and codes developed by CIG... :)

When you know so little about so many points... just sh... up or educate yourself first.

Lukzfresh said:

It’s clear some of the money was stolen along the way... regardless of when the game is released.

Yes... it is called salary to pay devs so they can feed their family. If there is something clear it is the level of lies and speculation surrounding this game :)
    Erillion
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    Somehow Black Desert Online has amassed $1 Billion in gross sales. That game is garbage. Why are we criticizing Star Citizen for going boldly where no developer has gone before?
    CoticnewbismxBabuinix

Arterius said:

I just don't see what people see in this game to just keep handing over money. This game has been delayed so many times yet this seems like the only upcoming MMO that gets a free pass when delays or some other issue arises. It's insane to me.

Scope changed mid-2014 for two Triple-A.... That's not a delay, this is game development with SQ42 beta in sight in 4 quarters.
    Money is coming from NEW bacekrs coming at every patch or free week.

foxgirl said:

Tiller said:

This picture gets me every time..

"Hey guys lets play pretend..I has a ship"
                                                        /

You too can come play toy planes with me!

But we can do it right now in 3.7.2... and precisely flying the Connie which is the model in CR's hands :)
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Trump of gaming world
    SeelinnikoiXarkoArglebargle

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    The language doesn't stray from the word f you heh very uneducated.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• Erinak1Erinak1 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    I'm not really sure why people care so much about what other people want to spend their money on. I do kinda feel the situation is a little ridiculous at this point, but mostly from the game side. If people want to pay money for in-game stuff that they may eventually be able to use, I don't really think its anyone's business :)
    Erillion
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Theres a reason they call it Citizen Con.
    newbismx[Deleted User]
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Erinak1 said:
    I'm not really sure why people care so much about what other people want to spend their money on. I do kinda feel the situation is a little ridiculous at this point, but mostly from the game side. If people want to pay money for in-game stuff that they may eventually be able to use, I don't really think its anyone's business :)
    Think ppl are just shocked and disapointed. Lootboxes, mtx, dlc became popular cos ppl let it become popular. Last thing gaming needs is 3000$ jpegs
    GdemamiNorseGodCryomatrix
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    JoeBlober said:

Arterius said:

Scope changed mid-2014 for two Triple-A.... That's not a delay, this is game development with SQ42 beta in sight in 4 quarters.
    Money is coming from NEW bacekrs coming at every patch or free week.
    SQ42 Beta should be in 3 quarters actually, 3. It was 4 in July when you posted about it yourself, making fun of stupid predictions with your 90 days tops meme at the same time. And when we are entering the new year it should be in 2 quarters. Lets see if they can make it in time, else we can make fun of your predictions with a lovely ‘4 quarters tops man, 4 quarters tops.’ You can even be the new Smart if you want to.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]CoticnewbismxNorseGod
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    @Gdemami U one of them whales ya? Ah I see, a Chronicles of Elyria whale lol
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    A released SC will never be as profitable as an unreleased one.
    TillerArglebargle

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• Marius6870Marius6870 Member UncommonPosts: 46
    I heard a good portion of the cash was going into parties and up their collective noses? 
    ErillionNorseGod
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    This game will never ever be what it says it will.  Ever!
    NorseGodangerbeaver
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• DarkpigeonDarkpigeon Member UncommonPosts: 55

Lukzfresh said:

Actually forbes has documentation of it, if I'm not mistaken they develop the game in cryengine in 2012 and then scrap everything 2016 and move it to lumberyard because cryengine is bad for multiplayer games "Looks pretty but shit for multiplayer" 4 years development money down to the toilet The closest thing for Star citizen having "diarrhea", later they get sued by crytek because when migrating they use some of the assets from cryengine, more money down the toilet. I don't think this is the end.

This is an oversimplification, and a little research will show you how much of a hatchet job the Forbes articles were. But I will leave that up to you.
    Erillion
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    mcrippins said:
    I'm confused. Been playing this for the last week or so with a friend, and we've been having a good time. I understand that there's a ways to go regarding development, but technically the game is already in a playable state. There are missions to do and ships to fly, and I gotta say, it's a beautiful fkn game.

Shhh... Don't you dare bringing rationality and objectivity into this, you'll ruin the circle jerk. :D
    GdemamirpmcmurphyErillion