Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Funding Crosses $250 Million - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageStar Citizen Funding Crosses $250 Million - MMORPG.com

Funding for Star Citizen has now crossed $250 million as advertised by RSI recently.

Read the full story here

NorseGodAmatheWalkinGlenn

Comments

• foxgirlfoxgirl Member RarePosts: 485
    It is time! Time for chuckles to send himself into space and then fold the company to start another project.
    [Deleted User]NorseGodalkarionlogDarkerFaterojoArcueid[Deleted User][Deleted User]foppoteeSolar_ProphetXarkoand 1 other.
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited December 2019

"Last Stage" lol
    Seelinnikoiklash2def[Deleted User]foppoteeCelcius3domSpriggen1337wingoodXarkoLark3mand 3 others.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited December 2019
    with 1 dollar being worth 5 in terms of development for SC vs traditional publishers (per Chris Roberts) - This is now the equivalent of  1 and a 1/4 Billion Dollar game.
    SeelinnikoiKyleran[Deleted User]Panzerbeorne39infomatzgastovski1
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    " They toil not, neither do they spin. But they seem to eat a great deal. I see no practical use for them."

Spock, The Trouble with Tribbles
    WhiteLanternfoxgirl[Deleted User]foppoteePanzerbeorne39wingoodinfomatzqoma

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited December 2019
    well, if they actually manage to sync all those different clients into one game some day, i will try to find out how much of the game i can actually play, without buying spaceships or whatnot for real money (and just buying "the game")

but i guess whatever happens, this game can't be much of a failure anymore, on a finance base

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    I think I saw that they raised 9m last month alone. Are people still giving them money?!?
    MikehaSeelinnikoiSabracErillion

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

edited December 2019
    @ShankTheTank You're wrong. 2.4 million have not funded this game. They are counting all those registrations from all those Free Fly Events, multiple times per year for over 7 years, regardless if they spent money.

IMO, 2.4 million people trying a game over a 7 year period of time is not impressive. For example, how many millions registered in the first day Crimson Desert was announced? Well, it was more than SC can do in 7 years.

What is impressive, is the amount of money they have raised and all the many ways to make even more money, than to finish an actual game.

So my question to you is, Roberts can make $250 Billion dollars and still not release a game, how is that good for the gaming community?
    Gdemami[Deleted User][Deleted User]Panzerbeorne39infomatzvtraviretiredmjgastovski1
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    No need to ever have a cash shop, price tag on a game or sub. This game should be free for 250 million donated by the community.

Yet it will not be. It will be a cash grab played by niche crowd. I doubt it will be played by more than 20k active people.
    SritNorseGod[Deleted User][Deleted User]Panzerbeorne39Aalamr

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• blazingcutblazingcut Member UncommonPosts: 65
    As much as i hate how stupid and ridiculous the whole project is, i must give props and applaud the management of this company, for their ability to continue successfully scam people for their money..and it works
    NorseGod[Deleted User][Deleted User]Panzerbeorne39Mackaveli44newbismxXarkoMaurgrimgastovski1
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited December 2019
    This picture gets me every time..

"Hey guys lets play pretend..I has a ship"
                                                        /

NorseGodAmathefoxgirlPhaserlight[Deleted User]newbismxRellzJamesGoblingastovski1
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Tiller said:

/

I always think he's holding a slice of pizza.
    AmatheTiller[Deleted User]RellzSailorMom
  • Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982
    Looks good. But will it ever play good?
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    The quickest way to make Star Citizen release is to stop buying ships. 
    NorseGodAmatheGdemamiWhiteLanternrojoArcueid[Deleted User]newbismxgastovski1
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Aeander said:
    The quickest way to make Star Citizen release is to stop buying ships. 
    Well clearly that's never gonna happen....

Perhaps it never will release?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    As the legendary Ron Burgundy would say:

Actually I'm not even mad, that's amazing.
    [Deleted User]
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• foxgirlfoxgirl Member RarePosts: 485

Tiller said:

/

You too can come play toy planes with me!
    [Deleted User]
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Screw this crook
    [Deleted User]
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited December 2019

NorseGod said:

Tiller said:

/

I always think he's holding a slice of pizza.

Pizza, yes, but wait...I'm gonna photoshop something else into his hand....brb
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• LukzfreshLukzfresh Member UncommonPosts: 125
    It’s clear some of the money was stolen along the way... regardless of when the game is released.
    Gdemami
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    I'm confused. Been playing this for the last week or so with a friend, and we've been having a good time. I understand that there's a ways to go regarding development, but technically the game is already in a playable state. There are missions to do and ships to fly, and I gotta say, it's a beautiful fkn game.

[Deleted User]GdemamiJoeBloberLife2vBabuinixDarkpigeonPhaserlightErillionretiredmj
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768

Lukzfresh said:

It’s clear some of the money was stolen along the way... regardless of when the game is released.

Actually forbes has documentation of it, if I'm not mistaken they develop the game in cryengine in 2012 and then scrap everything 2016 and move it to lumberyard because cryengine is bad for multiplayer games "Looks pretty but shit for multiplayer" 4 years development money down to the toilet The closest thing for Star citizen having "diarrhea", later they get sued by crytek because when migrating they use some of the assets from cryengine, more money down the toilet. I don't think this is the end.
    foxgirl[Deleted User]Gdemami
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited December 2019

<snip>

Actually forbes has documentation of it, if I'm not mistaken they develop the game in cryengine in 2012 and then scrap everything 2016 and move it to lumberyard because cryengine is bad for multiplayer games "Looks pretty but shit for multiplayer" 4 years development money down to the toilet The closest thing for Star citizen having "diarrhea", later they get sued by crytek because when migrating they use some of the assets from cryengine, more money down the toilet. I don't think this is the end.

You are mistaken.  Long running thread on it and other stuff surrounding it - now closed.

In a nutshell:
    Early development     = CryEngine 4.x (or whatever it was) + RSI developed code
    Current development = Lumberyard + RSI own code

However since Amazon "bought" CryEngine 4.x (the exact same version whatever the number was to which they started adding their own stuff:

Current development = CryEngine 4.x (or whatever version) + Amazon own stuff + RSI own stuff.

The whole change over took - something like - a couple of days for a couple of people.

The benefits were access to all the other tools / engines that Amazon have incorporated into Lumberyard along with thousands of bug fixes to the CryEngine code. And presumably financial benefits. So no they didn't scrap 4 years of work and it looks like a smart move.

Maybe you misread the Forbes article - or it was simply wrong or designed for clicks like the 2017 one about them being out of money (clearly wrong).

Erillion
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

Lukzfresh said:

aaaactually, i think they got sued just because they switched and didn't continue developing the game in cryengine

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

Let's discuss the engine when they actually manage to finish building one.
    [Deleted User]
  • Spriggen1337Spriggen1337 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    edited December 2019
    bad choices made by roberts in this game you can just tell he is just indulging in the kickstarter money!
    seriously this game coulda been out a long time ago but he keeps tacking on things that coulda been developed post launch like elite dangerous and eve do i really hope this game tanks hard because of what it has done to players! i mean last gameplay i saw rubber banding of everything (ships players objects) and the gun play is kinda poop!
    NorseGodGdemami