Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Click investigates why Star Citizen is delayed

rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
edited December 2019 in Star Citizen

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    an article from the future eh?
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited December 2019
    So another article beating the same dead horse that countless others already did articles about? Hmmm

Here's the answer in short: Because CIG wants to & they have the resources to sustain that, they are not in a rush forcing the release of the game, that much is visible to everyone I think.
    rpmcmurphyWalkinGlennalkarionlogMaurgrimHatefull
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    MaxBacon said:
    So another article beating the same dead horse that countless others already did articles about? Oh boy I'm excited :p

And yet here you are, telling everyone how much it doesn't matter to you....

It's a TV show btw, not an article.

GdemaminewbismxBabuinix
    edited December 2019
    MaxBacon said:
    So another article beating the same dead horse that countless others already did articles about? Oh boy I'm excited :p

And yet here you are, telling everyone how much it doesn't matter to you....

It's a TV show btw, not an article.

I mean unless something major happens where this provides new relevant information everyone goes surprised pikatchu-face! However, I find that quite unlikely seeing by how much this has been beaten on the media (on multiple investigations) already.

If not, it's just more of the same, to be seen 
    rpmcmurphyWalkinGlennalkarionlog
    edited December 2019
    MaxBacon said:
    I mean unless something major happens where this provides new relevant information everyone goes surprised pikatchu-face! However, I find that quite unlikely seeing by how much this has been beaten on the media (on multiple investigations) already.

Well you're not going to know that until it airs, are you?

Instantly proclaiming it as "another article beating the same dead horse that countless others already did" when you don't know the content of it is just pointless, it's just whiteknightism taken to extremes.

The fact that investigations into this game happen on a regular basis show that there is a problem, these people aren't doing it because they're haters.... jfc

You don't have to watch it, you don't have to read about it but I, and I'm sure many other people, will be interested. I found the kotaku investigation interesting because game development is not all roses and chocolates, it's interesting knowing where things go wrong and most importantly, why they go wrong.
    MendelKefoGdemaminewbismxbartoni33tweedledumb99alkarionlogBabuinixMaurgrimHatefull
    edited December 2019
    Instantly proclaiming it as "another article beating the same dead horse that countless others already did" 
    It is "yet another one" on this as far the topic goes, the exact content is to be seen.

happen on a regular basis show that there is a problem
    If this attention didn't come so much from the big shiny that is the project's crowdfunding success then sure thing, the media wants viewers/readers and they won't get that just by covering the game, now if you mix in "game delayed 250million crowdfunded" that'll do it :p  

rpmcmurphy said:
    You don't have to watch it, you don't have to read about it but I, and I'm sure many other people, will be interested. I found the kotaku investigation interesting because game development is not all roses and chocolates, it's interesting knowing where things go wrong and most importantly, why they go wrong.
    We have already had that investigation, they even brought CIG in and they themselves explained mistakes during dev and the resulting massive delays caused back then. It's a question we already have answers for, especially as far past goes.
    alkarionlog
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Unlike others, I don't have any preconceived notion of what this program will contain.  If it has new blockbuster information, I'll take note of it.  If it's all old information, I'll be disappointed.  But, I won't know that until after Dec 14.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

MaxBacon said:
    It is "yet another one" on this as far the topic goes, the exact content is to be seen.
    Haha good try Max but I'm sure every one knows what you really meant :)
    MaxBacon said:
    If this attention didn't come so much from the big shiny that is the project's crowdfunding success then sure thing, the media wants viewers/readers and they won't get that just by covering the game, now if you mix in "game delayed 250million crowdfunded" that'll do it :p 
    Ah of course, it's the greedy media trying to take advantage....
    MaxBacon said:
    We have already had that investigation, they even brought CIG in and they themselves explained mistakes during dev and the resulting massive delays caused back then. It's a question we already have answers for, especially as far past goes.
    Was that the one where Chris said "I thought we were all on the same page." cos that happened over 3 years ago and seeing that the only large progress SC has made is in extracting more money from people, perhaps it is the right time to see what the current problems are.

Perhaps Calder commissioned the investigation to find out where his money has gone :D
    Gdemami
    edited December 2019
    MaxBacon said:
    Haha good try Max but I'm sure every one knows what you really meant :)
    MaxBacon said:
    Ah of course, it's the greedy media trying to take advantage....
    MaxBacon said:
    Was that the one where Chris said "I thought we were all on the same page." cos that happened over 3 years ago and seeing that the only large progress SC has made is in extracting more money from people, perhaps it is the right time to see what the current problems are.

Perhaps Calder commissioned the investigation to find out where his money has gone :D
    It's not about greedy media it's about getting readers and viewers, this is why you barely see any of this type of media on other crowdfunded projects despite their own controversies, SC is not a mainstream popular game like say Fallout that when 76's controversy all media was over it, so what attracts is going to be noted is always the how much money they funded, stuff like the price of ships, etc...

It was based on communication issues, several studios not working properly in sync causing massive issues and the end result of dropping on the case of Star Marine a year's worth of development. They also mention steps taken to prevent those issues from moving on, and since then the progress rate of the game is far increased, as far current problems I'd just hope they don't end up like others focusing just on what happened years ago and not what is happening presently.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Why Star Citizen is delayed?

Easy answer is simply because people keep tossing money at it and so CR has no real reason to push to wrap things up.  Why mess with a formula that results in hundreds of millions of dollars tossed at him?
    [Deleted User]KefoRidelynnGdemaminewbismxKyleranklash2defDakerutweedledumb99NorseGodand 1 other.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    MaxBacon said:
    So another article beating the same dead horse that countless others already did articles about? Hmmm

Here's the answer in short: Because CIG wants to & they have the resources to sustain that, they are not in a rush forcing the release of the game, that much is visible to everyone I think.
    Is that why they have so many shell companies, had to take out loans that they took years to pay back and eventually ended up selling 10% of the company? 

Doesn’t sound like a company that has the resources to sustain itself.
    GdemaminewbismxNorseGodOctagon7711
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    MaxBacon said:

Well you're not going to know that until it airs, are you?

Instantly proclaiming it as "another article beating the same dead horse that countless others already did" when you don't know the content of it is just pointless, it's just whiteknightism taken to extremes.

The fact that investigations into this game happen on a regular basis show that there is a problem, these people aren't doing it because they're haters.... jfc

All it shows is that media "investigates" anything that can get them more clicks or views.  Especially relevant when (as MaxBacon pointed out) media outlets are re-reporting (cough investigating) things that have already been reported on.  At this point its being done to drive traffic to them. Look up the phrase diminishing returns.  But there must still be a little media life left in this topic, the meter isn't quite yet at zero.
    Erillion
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:

Is that why they have so many shell companies, had to take out loans that they took years to pay back and eventually ended up selling 10% of the company? 

Considering you just agreed with Slapshot1188 response that's a weird post to make.

So either CR is not pressured to release because he has the money sustaining that approach or he is being unable to sustain it and the company lacks funds, which one is it?
    edited December 2019
    goboygo said:
    All it shows is that media "investigates" anything that can get them more clicks or views.  Especially relevant when (as MaxBacon pointed out) media outlets are re-reporting (cough investigating) things that have already been reported on.  At this point its being done to drive traffic to them. Look up the phrase diminishing returns.  But there must still be a little media life left in this topic, the meter isn't quite yet at zero.
    It only shows that if you have a particular view of the media.

So when John Carreyrou investigated Theranos it wasn't because there was a story worthy of public interest? It was just because the WSJ wanted clicks.... come on, I'm a pretty jaded mofo but this is just straight up doolally land.

Kefo
    edited December 2019
    MaxBacon said:
    It's not about greedy media it's about getting readers and viewers, this is why you barely see any of this type of media on other crowdfunded projects despite their own controversies, SC is not a mainstream popular game like say Fallout that when 76's controversy all media was over it,
    This is so funny, do you not see the irony in this. SC is doing all sorts of stuff to portray an image so they can get players and backers to make money off but if the media want attention from readers and viewers it's no no sir, you're taking advantage of people....

Anyhow, there's been quite a few investigations and reports on kickstarter projects.
    MaxBacon said:
    so what attracts is going to be noted is always the how much money they funded, stuff like the price of ships, etc...
    Well duh, that's because these things are all SC has. An extremely high crowdfunding total made off the back of extremely high priced game assets that are way outside the norm of microtransactions in the majority of gaming. So of course it is going to get talked about, it's central to the fraking issue....

Gdemami
    goboygo said:
    It only shows that if you have a particular view of the media.

So when John Carreyrou investigated Theranos it wasn't because there was a story worthy of public interest? It was just because the WSJ wanted clicks.... come on, I'm a pretty jaded mofo but this is just straight up doolally land.

There is far important situations, public interest, etc... SC already went through the whole investigations about the whole "it's a scam!", vaporware, etc... They didn't find such a bombshell story, if anything it debunked that whole thing.

At this point as far SC is the topic, it's not because of the public interest on SC (eg of this would be Fallout 76), if SC didn't have the funding counter available I would bet we would get only a fraction of the coverage it gets.
    RexKushman
    MaxBacon said:
    It's not about greedy media it's about getting readers and viewers, this is why you barely see any of this type of media on other crowdfunded projects despite their own controversies, SC is not a mainstream popular game like say Fallout that when 76's controversy all media was over it,
    This is so funny, do you not see the irony in this. SC is doing all sorts of stuff to portray an image so they can get players and backers to make money off but if the media want attention from readers and viewers it's no no sir, you're taking advantage of people....

Anyhow, there's been quite a few investigations and reports on kickstarter projects.
    MaxBacon said:
    so what attracts is going to be noted is always the how much money they funded, stuff like the price of ships, etc...
    Well duh, that's because these things are all SC has. An extremely high crowdfunding total made off the back of extremely high priced game assets that are way outside the norm of microtransactions in the majority of gaming. So of course it is going to get talked about, it's central to the fraking issue....

Oh please many especially crowdfunded titles around are far more aggressive as far how they collect money and you don't really see outlets like BBC's and Forbes on their backyard about it. Is SC really the devil? Or is this heavily sensationalism? 

The second part of your post is the fun part, because as we see the games that make huge amounts of money come from smaller priced items that are frequently bought and not from hugely priced items (aka SC big ships), but that doesn't get that much attention because it's not a shiny big number, what is exactly the point I'm trying to make.

rpmcmurphy
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:

Considering you just agreed with Slapshot1188 response that's a weird post to make.

So either CR is not pressured to release because he has the money sustaining that approach or he is being unable to sustain it and the company lacks funds, which one is it?
    Why would it be weird to agree with Slapshot? They are usually right when it comes to predicting games and if they are scams or not. 

And I see you are trying to turn what I said in another post against me but are failing miserably. Slapshot said they are throwing millions at the company, they never said they are bringing in enough to sustain development.
    Gdemami
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Why Star Citizen is delayed?

Easy answer is simply because people keep tossing money at it and so CR has no real reason to push to wrap things up.  Why mess with a formula that results in hundreds of millions of dollars tossed at him?
    That doesn't make sense when so many other games get delayed. I'm not even focusing on crowdfunded titles but games made from some of the most established and experienced studios.

Maybe, just maybe, it's just that ambitious games just take a lot of effort to pull off. :)
    MaxBacon said:
    Oh please many especially crowdfunded titles around are far more aggressive as far how they collect money and you don't really see outlets like BBC's and Forbes on their backyard about it. Is SC really the devil? Or is this heavily sensationalism?
    Which ones would they be then Max?

Saying that a company pushing $5 items compares to a company pushing $50-$3000 items is just delusional. Get you out of cuckoo land.
    There's been plenty of articles about the pervasiveness of MTX so trying to claim everyone is out to get SC is bullshit. A perfunctory google search for "gaming microtransactions" would educate you on this. But carry on playing the victim if that makes you feel better.

MaxBacon said:
    The second part of your post is the fun part, because as we see the games that make huge amounts of money come from smaller priced items that are frequently bought and not from hugely priced items (aka SC big ships), but that doesn't get that much attention because it's not a shiny big number, what is exactly the point I'm trying to make.

You can't claim that while also cheering at SC being the highest "crowdfunded" game ever as well as being the most expensive game ever...

If a company decides to sell in game assets for $1000+ they are going to be faced with additional scrutiny. It would be the same for anything that prices itself well outside the norm.

Gdemami
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    This is hilarious. See you in EVE Online. Their winter season just started.
    rpmcmurphyTiller
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    SC might be the biggest crowdfunded tittle but it's still a drop in the ocean compared compared with mtx monetization and their whales.

Haters focus on Star Citizen not because of altruistic reasons but because they want the project to go under and blame the whales for it's continuous support and constant growth. :)

rpmcmurphy
    edited December 2019
    Babuinix said:
    SC might be the biggest crowdfunded tittle but it's still a drop in the ocean compared compared with mtx monetization and their whales.
    Is it though? A recent article doing the rounds about someone spending $60,000 in Runescape after years of playing was treated with shock and ridicule, even prompting the company to look at excessive spending.

Meanwhile, there are quite a few people who have spent well over $50,000 in SC, Clifford_Miku for example and that was without any release. Instead of being concerned CIG rub their hands together with glee and look at more ways of extracting money. Maybe, just maybe, that's part of the difference? Maybe spending $50k+ on a tech demo or $50k+ on 10 years of gaming is part of the difference as well....

KefoGdemamiKyleran
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Short answer is it's delayed because it's a scam.
    GdemamiErillion
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    The reason I am concerned about Star Citizen?  Because 3 years ago I tried the alpha, and was getting framerates of 3-4.  It was so bad it took me about 30 minutes to get out of the hangar.  Then the framerates were a LITTLE better, but still very low for a flight sim.  About a year later, playing on a significantly upgraded machine (very game worthy at the time, and still pretty good), I was getting framerates of 5-6 in the hangar, so I quit and uninstalled.  I did not even bother with the latest alpha, since I have not upgraded my computer.  If they start lauding how they have significantly improved framerates, I may try it again.
    Gdemami

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!