Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - Test-flying/driving 90 different ships/vehicles for free

Comments

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    lahnmir said:
    Have people still not realised that Twitch has simply become a marketing tool with many “players” being paid to do so? 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    You mean like with gaming PCs and stuff? lol
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Twitch does not decide if a game is good or not,it merely represents popularity.

As for the free fly,imo Mr.Roberts attempt here is to not showcase a game but to entice people to buy ships.That is all this venture became is a cash shop in space with VERY little actual gaming content.

Then again who actually has ever assumed that a pvp game would have much content anyhow which makes this game all the more sad knowing that such a design has taken far too long to simply deliver a pvp experience.

With this much time spent and the amount of money they have been given,there should be a whole slew of mechanics and systems designed around EARNING your ships,building them from parts and via several crafting methods/skills.

Then on each planet there should be building aspects,housing with different racial type assets per planet.

I mean if you are going to rummage this much money and take this long,at least do it right,design the game properly.If yo uare going to half ass everything,which has been the case in this game,then it could have been released the second year at the latest.
    Babuinix

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited November 2019
    just one little thing not everyone who plays games watch streams, myself I don't see one single reason to watch someone else play, I have a time limit, or I spend working or I spend playing, watching is never a good thing to do with my time, also note most people don't watch other playing, with you can see with the numbers on steam AND twitch, there is more people playing then watching, always,

ignoring steam number is ok, but wanting to use twitch numbers, but disconsider steam or is stupid, or completely disonest and you are trolling, or you belive in both numbers and they sources, or you don't give creadit for both, choosing only the one who benefit you is wrong, and the simple fact I have to point it out say a lot about the ones using twitch and ignoring steam numbers to defend they point
    You too seem to miss the point too. You must understand that the root of this discussion starts with accusations from the usual EDfanboys that choose to hate on everything Star Citizen, saying that it has no gameplay or that it's so buggy that nobody play's it or cares about it. That's where Twitch comes in, because it's an fast, easy and accessible way to prove them wrong! Comparing it with Elite Dangerous is just the icing on the cake really :)

You'd want equal and accurate stats from both games to start making comparisons. You have twitch stats from all games, but not steam stats for all games. :)

Also, nobody is proclaiming that Twitch stats are the definitive measure of a game's player-base or even it's economic success. Numbers never tell the whole story either. But due to Twitch's big data sample it can be used to analyse and compare engagement and popularity growth/decline of games, specially pertinent between games of similar genres B)

Babuinix said:
    Twitch stats showcase not only viewers but also the number of people playing/streaming, you dont need math to compare which game was played the most in the last 7-30-90-365 days :) 
    Repeating it does not make it true Babs.
    Knock Yourself Out:

:D
    alkarionlog
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited November 2019
    Babuinix said:
    You too seem to miss the point too. You must understand that the root of this discussion starts with accusations from the usual EDfanboys that choose to hate on everything Star Citizen,
    "Ahhh the bogeymen are coming to get me" defense...

There are no Elite fanboys or EVE fanboys coming to get you, no matter how often you repeat this it remains untrue. If it was true they would be pumping their respective forums with screenshots and videos like you do here for SC. 
    There are space fans who dislike Star Citizen because of how much it has cost and how little it has delivered, that's all there is to it. The only fanboy is you trying to defend it from any and all criticism.

Babuinix said:
    Knock Yourself Out:
    CIG's data is more useful than any twitch data because it shows how many are playing the game rather than how many are watching it. How long and how often people are actually playing your game is far more important than 5000 people watching 100 streamers.

And what did CIG's data show? An average concurrency of 1300 from Jan to Oct. It's not the whole picture obviously but it is undeniably the average. There's no getting around that Babs.

KefosgelBabuinixPhaserlightalkarionlog
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited November 2019
    The popularity of a game on twitch hits on how interesting it is to watch it being streamed. Some games are boring to watch, others are fun to watch, SC is doing well on retaining streaming & viewer interest considering its current status.

The stats do show that increase, averaging more viewers, more channels and watched hours in comparison with previous years that are peaking on these past 2 months.

Just compare the avg viewers per channel from 2017

Then 2018:

Then 2019:

Besides that, it would be obvious there is some conversion rate from watchers into players (as Twitch is like YT as far people checking gameplay before decided to buy into something), with higher numbers then that conversion should be higher than before as well.

That should be about it, it's just a metric, as would be YT. Game concurrency is affected by other variables that were already discussed.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    MaxBacon said:
    The popularity of a game on twitch hits on how interesting it is to watch it being streamed. Some games are boring to watch, others are fun to watch, SC is doing well on retaining streaming & viewer interest considering its current status.
    That's one way of seeing things... another is that It's doing incredibly bad for a game that's had 7+ years of development, has had the most crowdfunded funds in history, has 500+ devs working on it and has been endlessly spammed by fans on gaming internet media.

https://sullygnome.com/game/Star_Citizen/365/compare/88_97_33627_258_24826_78_7206_25174

It still has nothing to do with how many players actually play it... which we can easily calculate from CIG's released numbers.

..Cake..

edited November 2019
    sgel said:
    MaxBacon said:
    That's one way of seeing things... another is that It's doing incredibly bad for a game that's had 7+ years of development, has had the most crowdfunded funds in history, has 500+ devs working on it and has been endlessly spammed by fans on gaming internet media.

https://sullygnome.com/game/Star_Citizen/365/compare/88_97_33627_258_24826_78_7206_25174

It still has nothing to do with how many players actually play it... which we can easily calculate from CIG's released numbers.

That way is not a realistic way to look at it, besides other things just the fact the game is a niche as far space sim focus goes it does not appeal to the usual mainstream audience that the other games listed do, something its dev time or funding is irrelevant to.

Together with the fact alphas as is it lacks content/gameplay mechanics, has multiple issues and has that unpolished wonky play, I have to say it's doing pretty good on Twitch

When you do the comparison with the most popular sims around such is clear on the summary at the bottom

Seeing as the game's progress is reflecting on its popularity there, it's fair to expect it should continue the trend upwards of past years.
    MaxBacon said:

Yeah I don't know about that. Twitch has always been more about following a person rather than the game. Like Rexzilla, he's had quite a good viewer base from his Black Ops days and he plays a particular type of character and tries to wrestle the game to support that.

edited November 2019
    MaxBacon said:

Yeah I don't know about that. Twitch has always been more about following a person rather than the game. Like Rexzilla, he's had quite a good viewer base from his Black Ops days and he plays a particular type of character and tries to wrestle the game to support that.

I don't think streamers can ever retain viewership for long if what they are streaming itself doesn't manage that. At best they get a peak then it dies down, it's not self-sustainable.

But on this game roleplay takes big part, as SC goes big on "my immersion!" they just make use of that to build up a character
    MaxBacon said:
    I don't think streamers can ever retain viewership for long if what they are streaming itself doesn't manage that. At best they get a peak then it dies down, it's not self-sustainable.
    Unless you're a thot selling bath water and stuff :) A lot of thirsty guys out there.
  • foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508
    I'm not pre-paying anything when regarding this Star Citizen, but this free deal to test-pilot so many of their ships is pretty darn cool.
    DarkpigeonBabuinixPhaserlightErillion
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    MaxBacon said:
    sgel said:
    MaxBacon said:

Together with the fact alphas as is it lacks content/gameplay mechanics, has multiple issues and has that unpolished wonky play, I have to say it's doing pretty good on Twitch

According to babs this game has more content and gameplay then other released games. So which is it?
    Babuinix
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    MaxBacon said:

Together with the fact alphas as is it lacks content/gameplay mechanics, has multiple issues and has that unpolished wonky play

Which is what we've been saying for a very long time.

..Cake..

Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    sgel said:
    MaxBacon said:

According to babs this game has more content and gameplay then other released games. So which is it?
    It does, just the fact a game is released and the other isn't does not mean a released game always has more possible gameplay than the other, that'd be a weird assumption to make.

edited November 2019
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    sgel said:
    MaxBacon said:

What do you disagree with? Doesn't having more ships, more weapons or more gameplay variety count?  :)
    rpmcmurphy
    edited November 2019
    I'm really interested in reading your explanations of what is more gameplay variety.

I bet you link twitch ....
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    I'm really interested in reading your explanations of what is more gameplay variety.

Speaking of which, ever seen them post their Twitch channels, streaming SC? 
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/

You could answer the basic first:

-Doesn't having more ships, more weapons or more gameplay variety count-?

And start from there :)

Also, why do you think (your personal opinion) Star Citizen gets so many more viewers than ED.

:)
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Babuinix said:
    Also, why do you think (your personal opinion) Star Citizen gets so many more viewers than ED.
    Because it's more fun to watch. Only some games that are fun to play are also fun to watch.

edited November 2019
    Vrika said:
    Babuinix said:
    Because it's more fun to watch. Only some games that are fun to play are also fun to watch.
    Ok, that's one opinion, could you go more in-depth? Why do you think "It's more fun to watch" ?

It's pertinent to know since not only has more viewers but more streamers. :)
    Post edited by Babuinix on
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Babuinix said:
    Vrika said:
    Babuinix said:
    Ok, that's one opinion, could you go more in-depth? Why do you think "It's more fun to watch" ?

It's pertinent to know that not only it has more viewers but in the last year more streamers. :)
    Elite has a lot of simulation stuff and statistics that is fun for the one controlling the simulation, but makes it watcher-unfriendly.

It's not pertinent to know that Star Citizen has more streamers. Streamers favoring games that make for good and popular streams is the expected result. It would be pertinent to know only if it were something unexpected.
    rpmcmurphy

Vrika said:
    Babuinix said:
    Vrika said:
    Babuinix said:

It's pertinent to know that not only it has more viewers but in the last year more streamers. :)
    Elite has a lot of simulation stuff and statistics that is fun for the one controlling the simulation, but makes it watcher-unfriendly.

It's not pertinent to know that Star Citizen has more streamers. Streamers favoring games that make for good and popular streams is the expected result. It would be pertinent to know only if it were something unexpected.
    Agree. Some games are just more photogenic or "streamer" friendly for different reasons. Kinda like how some sports are more entertaining/popular than others.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    sgel said:
    MaxBacon said:

It does, just the fact a game is released and the other isn't does not mean a released game always has more possible gameplay than the other, that'd be a weird assumption to make.

But you just said it lacks gameplay and content. Stop back peddling and pick a stance
    sgelNorseGod
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited December 2019

Even the NPC are like f*** this, we gonna jump lol. So much clipping and odd rubber banding in this game.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Babuinix said:
    You could answer the basic first:

-Doesn't having more ships, more weapons or more gameplay variety count-?

Sure, I'll humor you, let's see if you'll do the same and answer my question about what you consider as gameplay variety.

More ships but there's zero progression plus you lose your stuff every patch unless you're willing to shell out hundreds or thousands of $$$
    Does it have more weapons? Elite has a ton of weapons at each size plus they're modifiable etc.

Babuinix said:
    We have been discussing a lot of this just up from your post, it's all there if you want to read it.

Perhaps you could tell us why Elite has a much higher concurrency than Star Citizen?