Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CoE announces $95 lootboxes and faces revolt

Comments

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Stop hating on surprise mechanics
    KyleranLeFantome
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    At this point this is pretty standard. Wake me up when a company actually decides to release a game and not a pay for development experience.
    I’ll concede the point if you can show me one other company that said they would not have lootboxes and then sold $95 lootboxes while in dev only pre-alpha.

The track record of the company shows it would, not the words of the devs. Like I was saying, I would be more surprised if a playable video game comes from this than any form of preprepre loot boxes.

• fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288
    They should give the items away free to anyone still paying attention to this trainwreck.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    The biggest surprise is that anybody is surprised.
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Not going to read this thread because I can guess what's said.

Is this loot boxes? 
    Yes - to a degree.

Should it be done?
    No

Would I buy one?
    If I still believed this game will release - yes.

My reasoning. 

Loot boxes sell digital items with a random chance of getting stuff. Sometimes in lesser value and sometimes in value. They are gambling on getting something more valuable.

This "calender" guarantees you get things of greater value.

The kicker is that you can't guarantee that what you get is what you want. Hence still has a gambling aspect. 

So why would I buy it if I still followed the game.
    Simple answer is, I could hopefully sell the items on the marketplace and probably get what I need or a greater value in their EP points.
    In other words I could probably turn it to a profit.

But because of how the development has been going I will not invest any more money. 
  • goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    AnOldFart said:

Is this loot boxes? 
    Yes - to a degree.

Should it be done?
    No

Would I buy one?

My reasoning. 

Loot boxes sell digital items with a random chance of getting stuff. Sometimes in lesser value and sometimes in value. They are gambling on getting something more valuable.

The kicker is that you can't guarantee that what you get is what you want. Hence still has a gambling aspect. 

Simple answer is, I could hopefully sell the items on the marketplace and probably get what I need or a greater value in their EP points.

But because of how the development has been going I will not invest any more money. 
    Do you feel  this is a slap in the face for those folk that spent full money on single items prior to this? Sure the loot box is random items but it's still at a massive discount. Remember the loot box guarantees the 3 new promotional items so already it pretty much pays for itself. Shameful Soulbound doesn't care about devaluing it's customers. Why even buy anything alone anymore? Just wait until December 2020 and pick up the loot box to get these items at 60-70% off.
    GdemamiAnOldFart
    Zegaloth said:
    AnOldFart said:

Is this loot boxes? 
    Yes - to a degree.

Should it be done?
    No

Would I buy one?

My reasoning. 

It's too bad that they couldn't come up with a way for you to some how play a game, that has some sort of tasks, or list of things to do, that would allow you to earn these things with some sort of item, or items that you get from doing said tasks. Dang I wish there was some popular references for them to go off of so they wouldn't fall into exploiting their customers... oh.. wait..

To play what game? Have you seen what they have shown, can you imagine unveiling what's behind the curtain, all the sales would dry up. Need to keep this concealed for as long as possible to squeeze every penny they can, before exposing what is really going on here.
    GdemamiPalebane
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    TEKK3N said:
    Loot boxes for a non existent game.
    What's the loot?
    Just curious.
    Random store items.  Plus 3 new items for the Event/sale.  goldboyy45 said:
    Iselin said:
    The project that thinks it's already a game and monetizes accordingly.

Selling lootboxes with fluffy shit when you can use said fluff immediately in a game is one thing, but this takes it to another level. Is there anything gamers won't buy?
    The best part is assigning arbitrary value to said items, which don't exist in a game that doesn't exist.
    I wasn't sure how to sum up what I was I thinking but you guys did a pretty good job.  I would actually have respect for the company if they just said....  We need money to finish our game, were going to do another fundraising campaign,  we need to raise X amount of money.  Here is exactly what we have so far, here is what we still need to do.
    Gdemami
    goboygo said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Loot boxes for a non existent game.
    What's the loot?
    Just curious.
    Random store items.  Plus 3 new items for the Event/sale.  goldboyy45 said:
    Iselin said:
    The project that thinks it's already a game and monetizes accordingly.

Selling lootboxes with fluffy shit when you can use said fluff immediately in a game is one thing, but this takes it to another level. Is there anything gamers won't buy?
    The best part is assigning arbitrary value to said items, which don't exist in a game that doesn't exist.
    I wasn't sure how to sum up what I was I thinking but you guys did a pretty good job.  I would actually have respect for the company if they just said....  We need money to finish our game, were going to do another fundraising campaign,  we need to raise X amount of money.  Here is exactly what we have so far, here is what we still need to do.
    When will people realize they will never be truthful or have transparency...why? Because people can't handle the truth, this is why it's easier to paint a fairy tale picture and keep on saying shit is going perfect. Hopefully people won't be too surprised once the curtains here are unveiled, I sure as hell won't be.
    GdemamiKyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited December 2019
    https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/34338/longest-night-approaches?page=1#31

The Longest Night Premium Calendar (Ltd. Supply) will go on sale for $75 USD on Friday through Monday, before returning to its regular price of $95 USD on Tuesday!

Despite deleting some posts posts and moderating others they had to lock the thread.

What they are doing is trying to sell lootboxes under the cover of a lore event/sale.  They were quickly called out.  Caspien attempted to justify it by saying it was based on Advent calendars which pre-date lootboxes and that they are a great value.

Then he locked the thread.

Thoughts?
    And Serpantis just locked the follow up thread. Apparently you don't talk about surprise mechanics.

;)

"Since this thread is becoming an echo chamber like the last one, we're going to go ahead and lock it here."
    AnOldFartrpmcmurphy

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    goboygo said:
    Then the frogs might feel the temperature getting raised and jump out of the pot. 

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

goboygo said:
    Then the frogs might feel the temperature getting raised and jump out of the pot. 
    Exactly this. Caspian used to be more humble back in the day, now he realized that his whales will throw money at just about anything. The key is to include the words "great value" and "limited in qualities", remember how well it worked for the bees? People spent over 100$ on this virtual insect. Settlers of Elyria is coming up and before you know it KSV 2020 in May is coming up. I have a feeling instead of working on the game they are working on making their website pretty for SoE and working on new stretch goals and feature creep to add for the KSV which will follow a few months after Settlers ends. Wake me up when they have an early testable demo/client.
    MendelGdemami
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    AnOldFart said:

Is this loot boxes? 
    Yes - to a degree.

Should it be done?
    No

Would I buy one?

My reasoning. 

Do you feel  this is a slap in the face for those folk that spent full money on single items prior to this? Sure the loot box is random items but it's still at a massive discount. Remember the loot box guarantees the 3 new promotional items so already it pretty much pays for itself. Shameful Soulbound doesn't care about devaluing it's customers. Why even buy anything alone anymore? Just wait until December 2020 and pick up the loot box to get these items at 60-70% off.
    Yes, yes I do think it is. 
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    This will never stop until the gaming community stops supporting this business practice.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    NorseGod said:
    This will never stop until the gaming community stops supporting this business practice.
    ....yeah, people spent money on business models you don't approve of, assholes.
    Slapshot1188KyleranCotic
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Gdemami said:
    NorseGod said:
    I'm not sure if this can be called a business model. It's just so close to being a scam.

I just applied for a new flat.
    The owner told me she is currently overseas but I can make a deposit with a third party and have the flat immediately.
    An agent will be coming around to hand me a key and the contract.

Who here believes I will get the flat after sending them money?

Who here believes the game will be just what it was promised to be after people already paid up?
    Gdemami
    Harbinger of Fools
    edited December 2019
    Dakeru said:
    It's just so close to being a scam.
    It isn't.

Again, you don't have to spent money on it nor they need your approval.

Get over yourself.
    KyleranCotic
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Gdemami said:
    Dakeru said:
    It's just so close to being a scam.
    It isn't.

Again, you don't have to spent money on it nor they need your approval.

Get over yourself.
    Doesn't the same count for you?
    You are telling everyone that we have no idea.

Why do you feel your opinion is so much more valuable than ours?
    [Deleted User]GdemamiMendeltweedledumb99Cotic
    Harbinger of Fools
    Gdemami said:
    NorseGod said:
    I'm thinking you lease your car, yes?

;)
    [Deleted User]

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited December 2019
    Dakeru said:
    Of course it does, that is why you don't see me telling people how they should spend their money nor how or what developers should sell or make.
    Coticalkarionlog
    Gdemami said:
    Dakeru said:
    Of course it does, that is why you don't see me telling people how they should spend their money nor how or what developers should sell or make.
    Ahh, no children then, explains much, parents get used to telling other people what they should do.

Cheers. 

AnOldFart

• Nubz_UniteNubz_Unite Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I think Caspian developed such a narrow viewpoint of Loot boxes in order to defend his position on these not being loot boxes. The main crux I have with the notion that these are no loot boxes because you are receiving something of greater value then what your paying. It doesn't make sense to me, if your the one ascribing value to the product then it's irrelevant! it's like saying "Hey if you buy our calendar for 95 dollars we guarantee you this piece of lint that is worth 200 dollars in our store! So it's not a loot box because the value we have ascribed to the calendar is greater then the cost!" 

That being the case I don't necessarily agree with the assessment of loot box in a traditional sense since any of the items can be purchased solo from the shop anyways so it seems like dumb way to sell more shit under the veil of holiday spirit and suprises. 
    razor247 said:
    Noone plays this game so who cares
    ...trolls do care, apparently.
    Coticalkarionlog
    edited December 2019
    Gdemami said:
    razor247 said:
    Noone plays this game so who cares
    ...trolls do care, apparently.
    Outstanding example of dramatic irony, well played sir.

Apparently enough people care to give SBS more than $7M to date despite there being little evidence of a playable game and they appear quite willing to continue doing so.

edited December 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Apparently..
    ....apparently I was talking in the context of the post I was replying to and these boards.
    alkarionlog