Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Friday Deal - Get 88% Off On This Gaming VPN (SPONSORED)

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageBlack Friday Deal - Get 88% Off On This Gaming VPN (SPONSORED)

PureVPN, a rising name among the gaming community, is offering a fantastic Black Friday VPN deal. This limited-time deal is being offered at a staggering 88% off. As always, PureVPN’s Black Friday deals are exciting, but this years’ VPN deal tops the charts.

Read the full story here

Comments

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I dont understand what this thing does.
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • WingclipWingclip Member UncommonPosts: 54
    For me I want to run everything(PC and Phone) through a VPN so my most important features in a VPN are 1: Max speed (that equals my ISP) no caps and 2: not in the US. This checks none of those.
  • BlueThunderBearBlueThunderBear Member RarePosts: 228

Shortest explanation: Masks your IP address by making it look like you're logging on from somewhere else.
    Cryomatrix
  • ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

Wingclip said:

For me I want to run everything(PC and Phone) through a VPN so my most important features in a VPN are 1: Max speed (that equals my ISP) no caps and 2: not in the US. This checks none of those.

I can't see how any VPN can be as fast as a direct connection through your ISP because of the extra hops. 2. Pure VPN operates out of Hong Kong as far as I know.
  • callumthompsoncallumthompson Newbie CommonPosts: 1

So in a nutshell, as a gamer what i understood was that this thing would give us access to better servers. For istance if youre being directed to asian servers with very high ping, you could probably choose to connect to Germany to get better ping.
    When it comes to the ISP, basically what your provider does is that limit your network speed as you start consuming more bandwidth. If youre using a VPN and you have an IP that is masked, your ISP wont know how much youre consuming.
    Hope that makes sense.
    Cryomatrix
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Most people just use it to bypass region locks on streaming services.

This have been a good conversation

• hitmanlolhitmanlol Newbie CommonPosts: 2

tawess said:

Most people just use it to bypass region locks on streaming services.

Yup. As far as I know it is very helpful for streaming blocked channels like BT Sports outside UK. Although, a great deal. It is worth my money. You dont get 88% off all year. :D
  • Mariejasmine25990Mariejasmine25990 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Bought it Thanks :)
  • oriya9oriya9 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    edited November 2019
    @MMORPG
    Just quick a reminder, this is what you got sponsored by:
  • DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Reading a lot of incorrect info here, i'm a system engineer so i'll assist those interested in the technical pieces. The 'internet' is a series of WAN (Wide-Area-Network Circuits) that span the global. WANs are usually comprised of LANs (Local-Area-Network Circuits); your gateway (Modem, althought that's an incorrect term for it as a modem converts sound to digital data) turns your home LAN network into a WAN network. From there, the ISP takes your traffic and passes it via relays translated by DNS to the desired destinations. The "route" taken by your traffic can be over a services of both public, and private networks. The largest by far is a public network known as "The World Wide Web" - The internet, and The WWW are not the same thing, but WWW is the largest network on the internet.

Now, how does a VPN plan into this? Private networks can act like a public network and "relay" traffic through it for various reasons, a VPN is a private network that (should) be cut off to any, and all public traffic. Only those authorized to use their routing should be on it. Most VPNs simply provide you with a private routing solution, while encrypting your traffic beyond the typical implied encryption for a specific traffic type (I.E. Port 443 SSL/TLS Encryption for HTTPS traffic, would still be encrypted with or without a VPN, but a VPN would had a layer of add'l security. Imagine your web request being a car with it's door locked, the VPN would be a private highway with access to it being locked.).

This is important to note, as this is what a VPN does, it does not more, or less. If a VPN provider is doing more, then that is not implied by using a VPN. Thus, IP masking, or dynamically creating better routing solutions is not standard for a VPN service provider, so it expect it without assurances is silly. If IP masking is on going, then that is not from the VPN, that is either due to a PROXY or TOR like service. It also doesn't mean your IP is truely masked, because the exit nodes (end of the private highway when you return to public highways to get to your internet destination) can still be decrypted. Additionally if IP masking is on going, then it "complicates" the network topology requiring translations, and additional routing to redirect return traffic to you, instead of the dummy IP address, additional to that those that do modify your IP address presence require an additional vNIC to be installed which complicated your OS layout and can cause a lot of issues with network interpolation as it creates a vLAN (Virtual LAN) on your PC increasing the layers of data interpolation. This results in higher pings, and degraded performance. Additionally, the private highways in this analogy are fixed, they are not as large as the WWW, thus many people will often be routed additional times, again increasing hops, and latency.

So this net sum result in slower speed? No, faster? No, then wtf am i talking about? Results will vary. The private highway will have less people on it, much like a toll road, and thus it's implied the backbone will be of higher quality, and less congested meaning greater bandwidth allowability. Assuming this is your bottle neck (ISP/WAN circuit dependent) - If your bottleneck on network performance is your ISP, Home Equipment, or DNS server, then adding another layer to it won't make a difference, it will at best be as fast as without it, and at worse be slower.

The only time the benefit of a VPN would be noticable is if your bottle neck is WAN Relaying over congested nodes. Which happens if you live in major cities, you can test this with localized tracerts, assuming the local routing doesn't have ICMP blocked.

So tl'dr - Not worth it unless they are offering additional security/performance services with the VPN, i wouldn't use it expecting a performance boost, it could be viable for working around region locks, and it does increase your web security.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I worked directly for and with the NSA for 15 years and now I'm an IT "consultant" for the DIA.  My job was Signals Intelligence or SIGINT for the NSA.  Now I work on a DOCEX project.

I pretty much don't touch the internet without a VPN.

If that doesn't tell you that you need a VPN, then I don't know what will convince you.  Go ahead and believe whoever you want.

Honestly, if you do anything ever on the internet that you wouldn't want anyone, or even just a few someone's, to know about, then you have a reason to use a non-logging VPN service.

PureVPN is owned by GZ Systems out of Hong Kong.  As much as I appreciate the people of HK fighting to obtain sixth amendment rights, I wouldn't so much as sniff the internet using a VPN service that is 100% accessible by the Chinese government.

Also, this guy above me who says that IP Masking isn't a standard part of a VPN service must be living in the previous decade.  It's been a standard service of almost every commercial VPN in existence for the last five years and is often the primary selling point.
  • WingclipWingclip Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Streaming via Netflix,Amazon Prime block most VPN's so finding one that works is key. Also if your ISP gives you 150 Mbit connection and you get only 30 that screws up any 4k streaming from those services. I get 150 from ISP and get 148 from my VPN so basically no downgrade and my lag is around 30 ms so I am happy. Folks need to research this on any VPN they decide to use. Also if you are concerned about the government being able to find out what you are doing while on the net get a vpn that doesn't honor any treaties that hand over any info just cuz they don't like what you do while on the net. Think last administration spying on Americans.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited November 2019
    Fantastic deal I got it considering I was using ExpressVPN that would have worked to the same over a 10 months so 5 year is a good deal .
    Chamber of Chains
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    H0urg1ass said:

I pretty much don't touch the internet without a VPN.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/